Ch. 08 - Interim

Ch. 08 - Interim

A Chapter by Seratha

The room rematerializes. Its features have remained unchanged since the first visit. Despite the low hanging ceiling and cramped enclosure, it feels surprisingly spacious. Wispy tendrils of fog roll against the windows. Is the room moving? Or is it just a gentle breeze pushing the hazy clouds against the room's frosty panes? If wind even exists here, that is. And wherever here actually is remains a mystery.
A soft moonlight glow is just bright enough to make out the silhouette of a grand piano in the room's corner. It certainly was not there before. No, this is something new. Right? But the music from last time was definitely a piano piece. Only now, the notes are much more vivid. The haunting melody, played in absence of a pianist, fills the room. Questioning such things is of no use. This place, wherever it is, whenever it is, or however it is, is outside the realm of possibilities.

Its caretaker and seemingly only permanent resident remains silent. This enigmatic hooded figure, this Keeper, merely taps two wrinkled fingers to the notes of the piano piece against the black mahogany table. The glass of red wine he had poured earlier is now half empty. Though if he is in any way inebriated, he does not show it. He suddenly sits up, as if noticing attention has been drawn back to him.

“Enjoying ourselves are we?” he speaks wryly, a familiar toothy grin appearing from the shadows of his shawl. He knows not to expect a response and instead points to the card furthest from him.

Blank, save for the image of a simple white mask upon its surface. The card resonates a dim glow before a small, shadowy figure emerges from it. Like the figures before, this one is eerily life-like. It stands only a few inches, arms crossed under its somewhat less than modest chest. The doll is recognizable without a second thought.

Claire Walker.

Her hair is played down, elegantly rolling off her shoulders. Her expression is relaxed, as is her stance. An inviting, yet manipulatively seductive smile plays on her lips. The level of detail on the minuscule effigy is astounding.

The hooded figure chimes in, “Claire Walker's tale is only just beginning. This illustrious and bloodthirsty demon will face many trials in her near future. However, we must move on.”

As he speaks, the card furthest to the left slowly inches forward until it is parallel with Claire's. The previously blank card is now adorned with the image of a blue book. At first glance, it appears to be an ancient text. Its spine and binding are framed in a twisting black metal, but where its title would normally be is instead a blank digital read.

“Fear not, my good friend, for Claire Walker's tale will continue at another time,” the Keeper continues, “First, there are other stories that must be told. Intricacies that must be woven. Embers that must catch fire. When you next return here, you will understand the meaning of my words.”

With his final words of reassurance, the room once again fades into darkness.


© 2012 Seratha


Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

196 Views
Added on May 1, 2012
Last Updated on May 1, 2012
Tags: sci-fi, aliens, supernatural, murder, mystery, magic


Author

Seratha
Seratha

Riverside, CA



Writing