TCH Part 2. Continuded on day 17

TCH Part 2. Continuded on day 17

A Chapter by Serenedy
"

April doing chores. Cleaning the bathroom

"

Those Calloused Hands Part 2

By Dannielle Mechling

 

Day 17 continued

 

So she goes in the bathroom and opens the window. Then she fills the sink up with water, and puts only a capful of bleach in it. She starts scrubbing the sink and the counters. Then the tub and the toilet. An hour and a half later…

 

April calls out to her mom who is watching TV with Mason.

 

“I’m done mom; everything’s done.”

“OK. Let me see.”

 

She walks from the living room to the bathroom to see her daughter’s work.

 

“Wow, You did a great job April. Hey Mason…”

“Yeah?”

“Come look at this.”

 

He walks over to see what she was talking about.

 

“Wow April!! It looks shiney.”

“Thanks dad.”

“April, You don’t have to do the living room today. It’s almost time for dinner. I was kinda lazy so I ordered pizza.”

“Pizza?! I love pizza!! Thanks mom.”

“Pizzeria will be here any moment.”

“Cool!! What Kind?”

“Let’s see… two medium pizzas. Cheese and Hawaiian.”

“Oooo. I love Hawaiian.”

 

Suddenly, they hear a knock at the door. April goes to answer it with excitement.”

 

“Hey. Here’s your pizzas. That’ll be twenty five dollars.”

“My mom can take care of that. Mom… the pizza guy’s here.”

 

Shelly goes over to the door and gives him the twenty five dollars.

 

“Thank you.”

 

“No, thank you. Hope you enjoy your pizzas. Have a nice day.”

“You too.”

“I will April.”

 

The pizza guy gets back in his car and drives off.

 

“April, go set these on the table for me please.”

“I will mom.”

 

April sets the pizzas on the table and asks…

 

“Is everyone ready to eat? I know I am!!”

“Ok, lets eat.” Says Mason

 

They flip open the boxes, sit down, and pray the dinner prayer. When Shelly’s done giving thanks she asks…

 

“April, go get three soda pops please.”

“What kind?”

“Any kind is good enough for me. Just pick one.”

“Ok mom.”

 

April goes and gets the pops out of the fridge, hands one to mom and dad, keeps one for herself and sits back down.

 

“Oh this is delicious!!”

“Yes it is April.”

 

After dinner, Mason asks April to go in the shed and get the surprise for her mom. She goes to the shed, finds it, and brings it to her mom.

 

“See mom… This is what Dad made you.”

 

She focuses on the horseshoe coat rack that her husband made her.

 

“Oh my gosh, I love it.” She looks at her husband and says… “Thank you honey.”

“You’re worth it dear.”

“Oh you’re so sweet.” She says as she gives him a quick peck on the lips.

“Ok, we gotta go to bed early tonight…We’ve got church in the morning.”

 

“K Mom.”

 

Day 18

 

They all head off to bed excited about tomorrow. Day light comes and they all get dressed, have breakfast and get in the truck. When they get to the church, they find their favorite spot and sit down together. The pastor starts to speak…

 

“Welcome and thank you for coming to Black Rock First Baptist. If you are a visitor, please fill out the visitors slip in front of you. Please join us as we worship our lord in song.”

 

They play a fusion of contemporary and traditional music. Then the pastor does his sermon.

 

“Let me ask by a raise of hands, how many of you think your life is going no where?”

 

A good portion of the congregation raised their hands.

 

“Well let me just say that one… you’re all here for a reason and two…if it hasn’t gone anywhere that could probably mean that you haven’t asked Jesus to be your savior. If you have, you just need to trust that God will lead you in the right direction. I work better when I use analogies. I was in the Marines for a few years and the thing I took away from that is…no matter what… this world and this life is a military boot camp and God is there to whip us into shape by giving us tests. Tests that will not only train our minds, but our bodies and souls as well. When we pass these tests we graduate to a whole new level of seeing and doing. These tests are what help us gain wisdom, knowledge and perspective.”

 

The pastor gets done with his sermon and he has the congregation sing one last song. He then invites the congregation to the fellowship hall for refreshments. The pastor meets up with all the guests and the rest of the congregation.

 

“Oh hey Mason. How’d you like the sermon?”

“My family and I loved it. You did a great job.”

“Thank you.”

 

They get done conversing and eating snacks and go back home. On the way, they talk about the sermon.

 

“That was a great sermon wasn’t it April?”

 

“Yeah, it was Mom.”

 

 

A voice comes over the intercom and says…

 

“Dr. Carshner?”

“Yes Linda?”

“You have a visitor.”

“Ok Linda, Bring them in.”

“Have you gotten the test results back yet?”

“Yes… Unfortunately I have. The test results came back positive for melanoma.”

“So I have cancer then?”

“Yes you do. Do you want to call anyone?”

“Yes.”

 

He picks up the phone and dials.

 

The phone rings….

 

“Hey mom someone’s calling.”

“Answer the phone.”

“K, mom.”

 

April goes over to the cordless phone and answers it.

 

“Hello?”

“Put your mom on the phone April.”

“Mom, it’s dad. He needs to talk to you.”

 

Her mom walks over to the phone and says….

 

“Hey Mason, what is it?”

“Shelly, I’ve got some bad news…. As it turns out…. I have melanoma.”

 

Sudden silence and tear drops on the phone.

 

“What do you mean?” She says with a shaky voice.

“I have cancer. I’ve had it for a while now. I just didn’t want anyone to worry about…”

“Mason! I’m your wife!! I’m supposed to worry about our family because I care so much about this family and I want to take care of you both!!!

 

Meanwhile April is worrying.

 

“I know I should have told you about…”

“Darn right you should have told me… Here talk to your dad.” She says as she hands her the phone.

“What’s wrong Dad?”

“I have bad news…. I have skin cancer.”

“What?!! Why?!! Why are you telling me this now? Why couldn’t you have told me before?!”

“I had my reasons.”

“And what were they?!”

“Listen… I just didn’t want you to worry.”

“What do you think I’m doing now?!”

 

She slams the phone and goes to her room.

 

“Why God; why do you have to do this to me? Why do you have to take the best dad in the world away from me. I hate you!!!”

 

Meanwhile Mason is still in the doctor’s office.

 

“I don’t know what to do doc.”

“In times like this… no one does.”

“I can’t go back home now.”

“Well, sooner or later, you’re going to have to face it head on.”

“ I know but I can’t. It’s just too hard.”

“I’m sure you can do it. You have a strong family. Together you can get through anything.”

“Ok, I’ll go. By the way… how long do I have?”

“At the most… five years.”

“Ok, doc. See ya later.”

 

Mason gets back in the truck and drives home. On the way, he prays to God.

 

“God, please don’t take me away from my family. I love them SO much; please don’t take me away.”

 

He gets home and there’s complete and total silence. He finds his plate of food and sits down at the table alone.

 

“God, thank you for this meal I am about to receive…. Please help me. You’re the only one that can. I ask that you heal their hearts and repair the damage that has been done. Amen.”

 

April over hears it and says….

 

“Great prayer dad.”

“Oh, you heard that.”

“Yeah. We still love you…. We’re just upset right now. I’ll let you finish eating.”

“Ok. I’m sorry you’re upset.”

“I know.”

 

April walks off to let her dad eat. Later after he’s done, he goes into their bedroom and finds his wife sitting on the edge of the bed crying.

 

“I’m sorry shelly.”

 

She wipes her face and says…

 

“I know you’re sorry but I’m still mad at you.”

 

He goes in the living room and watches TV with April.

 

“So Dad, how long do you have.”

“Five years at the most.”

“I’m sorry dad.”

“What do you have to be sorry about?”

“I’m sorry you only have five years. We can make the best of it though.”

“We certainly can.”

 

About an hour and a half later, Shelly comes in the living room and kisses her husband.

 

“I feel better about the whole thing now. I prayed to God and a soothing sonmg came on Klove and I suddenly felt at ease.

That night, they all went to bed praying. They lived the next day and the next day as if  nothing happened. April and her mom took extra care of Mason and both of them helped him with his chores. Two years later… the inevitable happens.

 

Mason’s cousin Shawn was at the funeral and he spoke…

 

“Mason was a good man. He took pride in his family and his work. He had a good life, a loving family, and sheer determination and ambition to get all his work done.

God needed an angel and he chose Mason. We all know where Mason is now. He’s most likely in God’s pasture tending to the animals and fixin fences. Mason, we love you and we’re gonna miss you.”

 

It was April and her family’s turn to speak.

 

“My dad was a great man. He taught me a lot. He taught me to work hard and live a full life; just as he did.” She says with tears and a shaky voice. “Sorry… my kids loved him and I’m sure everyone else did too.”

 

April got done with her speech and they played two of Mason's favorite songs. April and her mom took over the farm in honor of her Mason and as April’s sons grew up they took ownership of the farm and carried on.

 

 

 



© 2009 Serenedy


Author's Note

Serenedy
What do you think about the ending?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

226 Views
Added on May 21, 2009
Last Updated on May 26, 2009


Author

Serenedy
Serenedy

ID



About
I mostly write sayings and most of these sayings come directly from life experiance. Some come from questions I've had about something like comunication or life in general. I have a big heart. So big .. more..

Writing