Chapter Three

Chapter Three

A Chapter by [Mackenzie]

The next day, I took Paige up to see the mistress. We went by the numerous side passages that webbed the castle, in case anyone should see us, or hear our stealthy, quiet footsteps on the cold flagstone floor. We scurried up winding side that embraced a spiral stair, through a low tunnel where our footsteps echoed slightly, and out into the main corridor, just in front of an amazing polished mahogany door. I knocked quietly, tentatively, almost hoping that the mistress wouldn’t hear us, but her voice rang out in the still air.
“It’s about time, Tauri. Come in, you stupid girl,’ she called, the venom in her voice clearly audible. I turned the brass handle gently, sliding it open without as much as a creak. My breath caught in my throat as I my gaze passed over the mistress; she was wearing an emerald green silk gown, with black lace at the collar, cuffs and hem. Her hair was flowing free, fanning over her back, catching and holding the morning sunlight. She was tapping her comb against the side of the dressing table in impatience, and as she turned to me her frown deepened.
“Who is this girl? I hope you have not taken up an apprentice without consulting me, first,” she said coldly, standing up with a faint rustle of her skirts and striding over to us in two long steps.
“Th-this is Paige, mistress. She is the new cleaning lady, specifically assigned to your rooms.” The mistress’s frown disappeared, with only an echo left behind.
“Well, this is an unexpected surprise. Now, Tauri, come brush my hair. I have been waiting for you for almost ten minutes, girl. I am disappointed.” I sighed quietly, not loud enough for the mistress to catch. I signaled to Paige with my hand, and she grabbed her cloth and bucket and began to scrub the wooden floors. My hand unwillingly took the brush, and slowly I started to brush her golden tresses, counting out the strokes under my breath. It was going to be a long day, I knew that, but I had a plan.



© 2009 [Mackenzie]


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Max
good job writing, that is the hardest part. so yes about this, i like it, it is interesting but short. it could use a bit more, not filler but maybe more specifics. specific verbs and description to make the castle stand out. Colors smells sounds ect. beyond that keep going!

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

174 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 21, 2009


Author

[Mackenzie]
[Mackenzie]

Auckland, New Zealand



About
My name's Mackenzie, but I'll sign my reviews as Mackeznei because it sounds oh-so-much-cooler. I'm thirteen years old, living in the wonderful country of New Zealand. Oh and I'm a guy now! Unofficial.. more..

Writing
Torture Torture

A Story by [Mackenzie]


Delusional Delusional

A Story by [Mackenzie]