Chapter Four

Chapter Four

A Chapter by [Mackenzie]

I returned to the kitchens later that night, with Paige less than a single step behind me. As I entered the spacious rooms, the air fragrant with the smell of roasting meat, Baram and his followers pointedly turned their backs to me. I shook my head slightly, as this was a disparaging sight, but it wasn’t going to get my spirits down. I took Paige over to the group on the other side of the kitchen, who were going about their chores as quickly as possible so they could hear hat Paige had learnt. Taking up a knife, I began to chop vegetables, even though all I wanted to do at that moment was lay down and sleep, but there was no chance of that at that point in time. Paige, too, grabbed a knife, and began to carve slices of pork off a lump of meat. Within half an hour, all our chores were finished, and we gathered around a small table, all eyes on Paige and me. With a deep breath, Paige began.
“Cyriin – the mistress – has a desk, in her bedroom. The topmost drawer is largest, but is under lock and key. I could not get in, as I have never picked a lock in my life. Ariest, will you come with me tonight and open the lock for me?” She was talking to a small, weedy man standing at the back of the group. He was fiddling with a piece of metal, but looked up when she spoke to him.
“It seems you are finally realizing how useful my skills can be. I will gladly assist you in your plans, my dearest Paige.” Ariest and Paige were lovers, and it was no secret that they would go to the four corners of the earth to find what the other needed. Paige flashed a quick smile in his direction, and then looked at me.
“Tauri, I will need you to keep Cyriin occupied to give me and Ariest enough time to open the lock, take whatever is in there, and get out. Do what you wish; sing, dance, tell a tale. It does not matter, as long as it keeps Cyriin out of her room for at least half an hour. Can you do that?” I nodded quickly, wanting this discussion to be over as soon as possible, so that our plan could come into action.
“I want all the rest of you to stay in here, in the kitchens. Do not speak of that has gone on tonight to anyone, not even the other servants. We cannot trust anyone.” I was glad that Paige was taking charge, as it meant I could think about what would happen after we stole the contents of the drawer. What where we going to do with it once it was taken? We couldn’t bring it down here, as there were too many prying eyes, too many listening ears. I resolved to take it to my chamber, locking the door behind us. It was a small room, but it could easily fit the seven of us. However, I knew that six servants and Cyriin’s lady-in-waiting wasn’t going to be a large enough force to take her down. We needed help, of the forceful kind.



© 2009 [Mackenzie]


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
TLK
It's hard for the reader to connect to this prose -- it seems more fantasy epic than human.



Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

260 Views
1 Review
Added on April 21, 2009


Author

[Mackenzie]
[Mackenzie]

Auckland, New Zealand



About
My name's Mackenzie, but I'll sign my reviews as Mackeznei because it sounds oh-so-much-cooler. I'm thirteen years old, living in the wonderful country of New Zealand. Oh and I'm a guy now! Unofficial.. more..

Writing
Torture Torture

A Story by [Mackenzie]


Delusional Delusional

A Story by [Mackenzie]