Yang 3

Yang 3

A Chapter by Eryn ♪

The hallways Ozpin led me down were much darker than the ones I'd been in earlier. They held a sharp smell that burned my nostrils.

"Welcome to our clinical ward. It's down here that we are preparing our newest recruits. Where we will be getting you ready." Ozpin says, gesturing to the windowed rooms.

"Getting me ready?" I ask.

"Yes, like our allies China, Germany, and Russia, we have been spearheading a new division to help us fight against the S.A.L.E.M. corporations. We strengthen ones body, making them capable of inhuman feats."

"What, like a superhero?"

"That is one way to look at it i suppose. Miss Xiao Long, we will be making you into an unstoppable force. A human super weapon." He replies.

"Wait, what?" I ask stopping in my tracks.

"Please Miss Xiao Long, you must understand that we have to do everything we can to win this war. To bring choice and prosperity back to the people of the world. To bring these criminals to justice." He pleads. I hesitate.

"How do I know your whatever it is wont kill me?" I ask.

"My doctors have assured me of a successful operation. A ninety nine percent chance of success."

"And the other one percent?"

"You will die, or be horribly disfigured." He replies solemnly. 

The words hang heavy in the air.

"Now you understand why I was hesitant asking you to join us." He starts again. "But I wouldn't have asked if I did not believe you would be fine." 

"Pardon me if I don't exactly trust you." I spit.

"Of course. You have been placed in unusual circumstances. I'd be more worried if you were completely okay with it. But please, I ask you with the utmost confidence in my team, and in you, please let us give you the tools to fight this fight." He says softly. I want to believe him, part of me does. 

I take a deep breath.

"If you kill me, I will personally haunt you till the end of your days." I say, and walk past him.

************

I lay on a metal table surrounded by a many people in blue gowns and face masks. Behind a glass wall I know Ozpin is watching me. It's unnerving and I almost call it off. 

Almost.

That part of me that trusts the man behind the glass curtain keeps me from saying anything.

The blue gowns walk around the room setting up machines of various sizes and terrifying shapes. One of them walks up to me and asks me to hold out my arm. I oblige and he wipes it with an alcohol swab before putting a needle into it. 

"This is an anaesthetic, it will keep you asleep while we operate." The man says. "When you wake up you will feel a bit disoriented, this is normal. We ask that you wait until one of the staff comes for you to get up. We'll see you in the morning then." He finished and returns to his instruments.

I lay my head on its side and look at the white wall.

And then I'm awake. My body is sore all over and my head feels dizzy.I try to get up, but end up falling to the ground. I feel like I do after a day of non-stop fights in the arena. I try to pull myself back up onto the bed, but fail miserably. In the end I barely manage to prop myself up against the side of it and stare at the door.

After a time, the door opens up and a woman walks in.

"Oh my, you're already awake I see." She says and comes over to help me back onto the bed. "Your system is still getting used to the augmentations so please take it easy."

By now I can turn my head without feeling sick, but I still can't seem to speak.

"Please look this way miss." The woman says and pulls out a small pen light. She quickly flashes it over my eyes and into my ears. 

"Open please." She says aiming the light at my mouth. I oblige and she nods and looks in. She then snaps her fingers by my ears startling me. In a moment I have both hands on her arms twisting them.

"Ahhh please let go! It hurts!" She screams and I immediately let go shocked at my own reaction. She winces in pain as she grasps her arms. 

"That's all for now I guess." She says through her gritted teeth and walks out of the room leaving me alone again.

**************

"Very good, it seems you've regained control over your reflexes." The man in white says after tapping my shin with a small mallet.

"Is that woman okay?" I ask him.

"She'll be fine." He says "Just some minor bruising. You startled her pretty good though."

"Sorry."

"Not to worry. Now, I want you stand and try walking to the door." He says and I nod.

The floor is cold beneath my feet, though I welcome it after the last time. I wobble over to the door, my knees still shaking slightly. If I had known how hard it would be just to walk after the surgery I might have reconsidered. At least that's what I tell myself.

"Very good." He says as I reach the door. "Do you need a rest?"

"No, I'm alright." I say. "Though I thought this was supposed to make me stronger not weaker."

"Haha, very true, but it still takes time for the augmentations to harmonize with your systems. Don't worry, soon you will be back to kickin' butt. I hear you are quite the fighter."

I nod.

"Do you want to try walking down the hall?" he asks.

I nod again.

************

"Welcome to our state of the art gym." Miles says to me over the din of many people working out in various areas. "For today you should probably stick to the running track." Miles continues pointing over to it. The track itself is deserted, probably everyone else was doing more interesting things. 

"If you need me I'll be sparring with some of the newer recruits." He says and leaves me alone. On my feet are a new set of sneakers. They felt weird, like I was standing on sponges. 

I sigh and start jogging along the track, attempting to take in everything the large space held. There seemed to be a plethora of different activities going on at any given time. There were climbing walls, obstacle courses, a running track, weights, a pool, you name it they had it and then some. I could see Miles over at the sparring area teaching one person how to get out of a headlock, or another how to use an opponents weight against them. All the while keeping a straight face, watching, looking for flaws.

"Ooof!" A man says as I accidentally walk into him. "Careful."

"Sorry." I say, and move to get back on the track.

"Wait, are you that new girl that everyone is talking about? The fighter from China?" He says and I turn back to face him. 

"Maybe." I say, and I see him grin.

"Why don't you and I go one on one. Let me see what you're made of." He says. 

I look over to see Miles still consumed in his lessons.

"Sure." I say and follow him to a sparring zone. He takes a stance on one side of it, ready to fight.

"First one on the ground loses. Do you want to call?" I stand at the other end and motion for him to start it. "Alright... Begin!" He calls, and I feel my body move before I do. In a moment I have him on his back pinned with one hand.

"Whoa whoa, you win." He says the air knocked out of him. I help him back up on his feet.

"Man, they weren't kidding about you. Only other person here to pin me that fast is Miles himself. Ain't that right Miles." 

I spin around to see Miles right behind me.

"I thought I told you to stick to the track for today. You're still recovering." He says, his voice stern.

"I'm sorry. I felt fine though. Better than fine." I say guiltily. He sighs.

"If you are feeling good enough to fight, then the augmentations should be almost completely integrated into your body." He says. "All the more reason to be careful, you could seriously hurt someone without knowing your limits." He motions for me to follow him. "Allow me to be your opponent and we'll see what you are capable of."

I follow him and get ready at the end of the sparring zone. The man from before stands at the edge of the zone and lets us know that the same rules as before were in effect.

"READY...BEGIN!"

Once again my body moves almost of its own accord and makes to grab Miles. Only this time I feel something at my wrist. Miles has it in his hand and suddenly the ground is out from under me. And then its there again at my back. Normally I'd expect the wind to be knocked out of me, but this time there is nothing and I quickly roll to my feet.

"You're fast, i'll give you that much." Miles says standing there causally. "Pretty strong too, but you're predictable."

He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath.

"Try again."


© 2018 Eryn ♪


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

97 Views
Added on April 3, 2018
Last Updated on April 3, 2018


Author

Eryn ♪
Eryn ♪

Ontario, Canada



About
I am 21 with red hair and aqua eyes. I face life one picture, one word at a time. Some call me odd, I prefer eccentric. I have fought my demons and I have won. I am known to have ADD. I move forw.. more..

Writing
Battle Royal Battle Royal

A Story by Eryn ♪


Waking Waking

A Chapter by Eryn ♪