Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Cory Hillyer
"

Suffering from a life of saddness and despair, Noah Todd goes to the ocean to end it all. As he makes his final plunge into the ocean, he is forced to recall all that he lived through, even if it is too late...

"

 

“By the Sea Mr. Todd”
By: Cory Hillyer
Prologue
     “By the sea Mr. Todd we’ll be comfy cozy, by the sea Mr. Todd where there’s no one nosy.” This phrase, spinning around and around in my head like an endless record. I know it is from a play, Sweeney Todd I believe, but it just seemed to speak to me, call to me. So I went to the sea, stood on the jagged edge of land that over-looked the roaring void we call the Pacific Ocean.
     I stared at that rolling mass of water and blackness and I was overcome with a sense of fear, anger, and helplessness. This giant black void could swallow massive ocean liners, even islands and small land masses; so one pathetic body shouldn’t make a difference right? One meaningless little human body that just “happens” to slip off the edge and just “happens” to be swallowed up by the massive, swirling body of water wouldn’t cause the world to stop spinning. Nope, life would just continue as it always had without missing a beat.
      So as the sun set on the horizon, casting the last of its golden fingers over the murky blackness of the water, I step closer to the ledge. A puff of wind blows through the wind, ruffling the dark brown curls of hair on my head as I take another step forward. Small tears build up in my eyes; not out of fear of ending everything, but out of the relief of knowing the world will finally be free of one more pathetic soul, out of knowing all the lives that would be saved by not coming into contact with me and suffering the same fate of those who had the misfortune of knowing me.
     I took my last step and felt the rush of air flying past me as gravity pulled me to my final resting place. The darkness getting closer with each passing second, resembling a more conventional death like being shot or poisoned. And in my final seconds on this God-forsaken planet, I vow that the world should never have to worry about Noah Todd ever again…


© 2009 Cory Hillyer


Author's Note

Cory Hillyer
*So I haven't written anything in a long time, but I've really been trying to get back into it. I havent had much luck up until I was taking a shower this evening and inspiration hit me like a ton of bricks! Just a forewarning, I know the story is about suicide, but I want everyone to know that it is just a fictional story that in no way reflects how I am feeling personally right now. With that said, please enjoy the "Prologue" and let me know what you think!*

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

200 Views
Added on June 10, 2009


Author

Cory Hillyer
Cory Hillyer

Sun City, AZ



About
Hey everyone, I'm new here so this is new ground for me. I've always loved to write, though I cant finish a story to save my life. I've just started poetry so it may not be great but just bear with me.. more..

Writing
~1~ ~1~

A Chapter by Cory Hillyer