~1~

~1~

A Chapter by Cory Hillyer
"

Now we go through Noah's life to see what has happened to push him over his edge.

"

 

~1~
     Now, my life hasn’t always been a total loss, in fact my childhood was actually pretty decent. Warm summer days lounging in the pool, sipping on some kool-aid and soaking up the sun. School was out for the summer, I was 13 years old living in Phoenix, Arizona, and even though it was 110 degrees outside I was out enjoying every minute of it.
     Most people complained about the summer weather; they even left to cooler territory until the brunt of the heat was gone, which could last as long as October. A lot of people thought I was slightly sick in the head since this was my favorite time of year, but since I’ve grown up here I just ignored them and called myself a “desert rat”.
     My brother was in summer school, poor kid, and my dad was at work. My mom was inside doing some household work making us both some lunch. I’d asked if she needed help, but she said she had everything under control and that I should enjoy myself while I still could. Good ol’ mom, she knew how to take care of a house full of boys, and she did it with a smile on her face every day.
     She called to me in for lunch from the backdoor and threw a pool towel out onto the patio chair for me. I swam to the steps of the pool and climbed out, feeling the heat of the sun intensify with each second that passed. I ran to the shade to avoid burning my feet on the hot cool deck, a name that I always found very deceiving, and grabbed my towel to dry off.
     Walking into the cool, air-conditioned house I saw a scene of violence that made me wonder if I was asleep and dreaming. Our front door was wide open, the sweltering July air already filling the house. Dishes lay in pieces all over the floor along with bits of food that were once our lunch.
     As I stood there in a total daze, a horrific scream from the next room brought me back to reality. It was my mother and she was in trouble, but I couldn’t do anything. I was totally frozen, not a muscle in my body could move, and all I could do was listen as my mom screamed at the top of her lungs.
     I stood there for what seemed like an eternity, totally motionless. Then I felt my finger twitch, then my entire hand. Soon my whole arm was finally under my control again, and before I knew it I was rushing to the door that lead to the bedroom where all the horrible things were taking place.
     I finally reached the door when an awful realization popped into my head, my mom wasn’t screaming anymore. I burst through the door with all my might, only to find the room empty. Sort of. My mom lay on the bed, totally naked and covered in cuts and bruises from head to toe. The largest cut of course was across her neck, the one that had let her soul escape and fly to the heavens. The window was shattered, providing the killer with his exit, the same window that lead to the pool where I had been lounging peacefully not even ten minutes ago.
    I picked up the phone and called the police came. They asked questions and I answered. They went through the room and did their investigation and left. My dad rushed home, my brother not far behind him, only to find me standing in the exact same spot I had been since the incident. They asked questions and I answered. The day was nothing but a blur, everything happening so fast and yet taking an eternity to pass.
     I finally moved from my spot in the hall-way, I was overcome by a need for fresh air. I looked at the clock, 4 PM. Four hours had passed since she was killed, in as little as four hours our lives had been turned upside down. I finally got outside into the still sweltering afternoon air. “She is dead… She is really dead…” I said to myself. “She’s gone forever and it’s all my fault… It’s all my fault…” This thought echoed in my head for only a few moments and replaced with nothing. Silence. I stood there as a cool chill ran down my back, and the once sweltering summer air had turned frigid.  


© 2009 Cory Hillyer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

182 Views
Added on June 11, 2009


Author

Cory Hillyer
Cory Hillyer

Sun City, AZ



About
Hey everyone, I'm new here so this is new ground for me. I've always loved to write, though I cant finish a story to save my life. I've just started poetry so it may not be great but just bear with me.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Cory Hillyer