Please Stop

Please Stop

A Poem by Shadow

Brothers and Sisters of Humanity

Please stop ignoring our collective similarities

Brothers and Sisters of the Human Race

Please stop denying your fellow man the right to move at his own pace

Brothers and Sisters of All Generations

Please Stop engaging in this self defamation

Brothers and Sisters of Every Color and Creed

Please Stop starving yourselves and your children of what we really need....

 

Please Stop cutting corners to make a quick dollar today that'll ultimately cost you several dozen tomorrow.

Brothers and Sisters who choose to teach

Please Stop thinking the state mandated minimum you need to reach

Brothers and Sisters who are not yet of age

Please stop misplacing your rage,your parents are not to blame,nor are the authorities that you encounter everyday.

The ones to blame are the ones who never set foot on your street

The ones who will never know what it's like to walk a mile to the down troddin beat

Young Brothers and Sisters Please stop using "N***a" like it's your last name

With every use you only add to that words shame

 

Please Stop..............

  

© 2008 Shadow


Author's Note

Shadow
Ignore grammar

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like this. I like its depth and where it takes the reader...
into issues that need to be addressed, need to be talked about,
listened to, HEALING. Healing amongst people collectively, as
well as for our own individual ow-ies - cannot take place until
we stop brushing everything under the rug, putting bandaids on
gaping wounds. Let the air hit it -- breathe -- feel -- heal!

I like where your words took me :) Now, if we all do this collectively,
perhaps we'll finally get somewhere.

Great job my friend!! Kudos!

Peace, Dani

Posted 15 Years Ago


Vey encouraging work. Speaks the truth about America and its people.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I really like this one. it flowed, but had a "street" feel to it, a rough piece, but sits heavily on your mind. so much depth, a thought provoking read. I thought it was well above average. and had such a significant message in it.

your cafe friend..kena

Posted 15 Years Ago


Very inspirational. Quite in line with social activists poets such as Amiri Baraka of The Last Poets. Though you apply your poetics with a broader brush. This evolution from Black nationalism to pan-nationalism is vital to the continuity of poetry and humanity as a whole. You make this leap easily and effortlessly. Shows a highly evolved sense of self, purpose and dedication to the enlightenment of all man kind.
A thought provoking read.

Posted 15 Years Ago


deep words of peace and knowledge. those words can only come from a wise man. great poem! It's something that truley needs to be read by everyone!

Posted 16 Years Ago


Your words are very true I can hear your inner strength talking in this one. I like the last few lines the best with the message your sending the younger generation. Great write~

Posted 16 Years Ago


There are so many people in the world that need and should read that.
This piece is indeed powerful.
It holds so much truth...
and truth alone is powerful.

I got chills reading this.

Posted 16 Years Ago


Powerful piece. If there were only some way to convert your words and devotion to action. I guess you just keep writing, hoping to catch someone walking that thin line. Those who read your words and understand the truth in them, are not the ones we need to reach. This is great work, warrior. Rain..

Posted 16 Years Ago


This is a very personal piece. I feel the exhaustive plea in this, too. Cycle after cycle, after cycle....has been going thru the same thing and it just gets easier to blame the generation(s) before us. As far as the 'n' word....I believe that WE give words power. I also believe that black men and women arguing over the word just gives it the same power that it was intended to have. I read Kara's statement about the young men in her school, and it's a sad thing that these young folks don't have the knowledge that they should have. There are other problems that the word 'n***a' is really just a prerequesite to.

If brothas like you were able to be that voice on the corner, maybe this place would see some due change.

Great write, man.

Posted 16 Years Ago


my my my my my i love this

"Please stop ignoring our collective similarities"

that was a great line.

the rhymes you had throughout really added to the piece, and added strength to your voice.

i loved how you brought up the word 'n***a' - the excessive use of this word really bothers me. i work at a predominantly white school, but we have a handful of young black men that walk around using that word all the time, encouraging others to refer to them as this, as well. i speak to them about this, as "cool" as a i can lol, but they don't seem to get it.... i'm like "respect yourself!" but.... for some reason they don't understand that this is disrespect, not only to themselves but their history... ::sigh:: so i love how you stated this, in a way that i probably could not...

big hugs



Posted 16 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

381 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 5, 2008

Author

Shadow
Shadow

Nashville, TN



About
My name is Julien, I am a husband,a son,a brother,an uncle,a former criminal,a lover,an accomplice to a murder.... I am more than the sum of my parts,but less than I can be. I am an unfinished paintin.. more..

Writing
Napkins? Napkins?

A Poem by Shadow



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Oh, Yes Oh, Yes

A Poem by TamiViolet


still still

A Poem by TamiViolet





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5