No Way Back...

No Way Back...

A Chapter by Joaquin Rivera-Wilcox
"

The second entry in End of Days...

"

No Way Back...

My past life is forever out of my reach. Now it's just killing, killing, and killing. I hate it. As each day passes, the darkness slowly crawls up my spine, and into my very soul. I feel worthless, like I shouldn't be here. Specifically an experience I had a few months ago, when I failed in protecting my only son, Kevin. I have been inside this building for about three months now. It's been fortified, but I've learned something, no place is safe, only safer. A couple people and I crossed paths and we formed a group. There's this one guy, Chuck. My trust in him is wavering. He thinks he's the supreme leader of the group, when actually, I'm doing all the heavy lifting.
            "Come on people, we got to move before nightfall, you know what happens after dark." I stammer.
            "No, we use the dark as cover." blurted Chuck.
            "You really think that's a good idea? What about the risers, scavengers, the military, and strangers?!" I argued.
            "Don't talk to me like that John, I lead, I make the rules." He calmly stated.
"You really think you're the leader? Who saved you countless times? I did. Who kept your nephew safe for who knows how long? I did! I could have left you to rot in that train car but I didn't so keep your mouth shut." I ranted. That shut him up almost instantly. Unexpectedly, a riser lunged for Chuck and tore the flesh from his neck, piece by piece. His screams echoed through the streets. I ran over and stabbed the thing in the eye.
            "He-help me, please..." He whispered. My eyes darted left to right, up and down, searching the wound. It was too deep to treat.
            "I wish I could, but it's too deep, I'm sorry..." I said in reply.
            "The-then tell my nephew goodbye." he requested as he drew his final breath to enter the cold void known as death. I walked up to him and finished him off, so he wouldn't turn, I know he wouldn't want that. As the sun set, I ran inside the safe house. While walking to my bedroom, Chuck's nephew, Jake, walked in.
            "Mr. Hunter? Where's my uncle?"he asked in a worried tone. I didn't have time to answer because somebody had shot through the door's window. The bullet whizzed past my head, and hit Jake in the forehead.
            "NOO!" I screamed. I got out my gun and sighed heavily. When I looked over the window, It was a man with a hoodie and black jeans. I quickly went down again. When I went up, he shot again. It nearly hit me that time. I got up again and aimed the gun and shot him in the kneecap. Five minutes later, he was tied up in an office chair. "Who are you?!" I interrogated.
            "I ain't sayin' nuttin'." He replied in a scratchy voice. Suddenly, I heard banging on the back door. A menacing grin came across my face as I got an idea.
            "So I guess you'd rather be fed to the risers then tell me who you are then? We can have that arranged..." I threatened.
            "Ok, ok, please, fine I'll tell you! I was sent by a man named Robert!" He screeched.
            "Of course you were, I knew it!" I told myself.
            I grabbed the man, opened the back door and threw him out there, still tied up. The man was screaming outside for about 20 seconds until his voice just faded away.  Robert had found out where my camp was. "Son of a b***h!" I kicked a trash can out of anger.
            I had to find supplies, ammo, food, anything. I was going to Robert. The mall was just down the block and I could scavenge a lot even though it's probably filled to the brim with risers. I deduced that it would be worth it. I ran all the way there. Quietly but quickly, I smashed the door to get inside. As I walked inside, I heard rustling to the right of me. I walked over there and saw it. A horde of risers huddled in a corner. I slipped past them, and got to the hunting store. Inside, I had found 6 cases of ammo and a 14. Caliber rifle. Good enough, I thought. I went to the food section and found 2 cans of soup, that was everything. During my visit to the pharmacy, I dropped a bottle of peroxide and it made a horrible crashing sound. I picked it up and ran for my life. As I ran for the exit, a crowd of risers blocked my path, they growled at me and pursued for their prey. Paralyzed with fear, I ran through the mall like a mad-man, knocking down shelves and furniture as my legs carried me through the mall as fast as they could muster. The room was running out and it happened. I was surrounded. My gun smashed into one of their faces. This is it, I'm dead now, I thought to myself.
            "Hey, You!" A mysterious voice shouted out. I looked over and saw my buddy, Jackson, here to rescue me. He pulled a grenade out of his vest and pulled the pin. He threw it into the crowd of undead and they blew up a split second later. I got up and finished off the last few stragglers.
            "Thanks, man. Don't know what I would've done without 'ya." I replied. "I think I'm done here, I'm gonna deal with Robert."
            "Ooh, I wanna come, I'll give you support with this." as he said this he pulled a sniper rifle of his back.
            "Ok then, It's settled." I stated "Let's go kill a dictator."
We drove for about a day and made sure to be stealthy around the group's area. We walked around the back and climbed the wall.
            "This is where I leave you, John. I'll give you support from up there." He pointed to a ladder leading onto a roof. He climbed it and left. At the end of the alley, there was a guard with an AK-47 in his hands. My hands flung around his neck and I asked "Where's Robert?"
            "H...He's in his office!" He stammered.
            My grip around his neck tightened and he dropped to the ground.I limped onwards. I recognized the building as Robert's office at once. There were signs all over it saying things like, "keep out!" or "Do not Disturb!" As I was reading these signs, two guards were walking in my direction. "Oh no..." I whispered to myself. I dived behind a dumpster and they walked past without noticing a thing. I crept up to the building and knocked.
            "What is it!? Didn't you read the signs!?" Robert said in his cold, cruel voice. As he opened the door, my fist found his already broken nose. He stumbled back but did not fall. My eyes darted to his left shoulder, and I wasn't shocked to see his arm missing. Out of cowardice, he ran for the fire exit leading to the roof.
            "HEY!" I screamed. I ran after him. He was gonna die, no matter the cost. When I got on the roof, he had the same expression as when he shot at me. A menacing, disgusted glare. "Why Robert?" I calmly asked.
            "I needed you, and you just left me to die here." he replied.
            "You almost shot me in the back of the head!" I bellowed.
            "I only did that to keep you from leaving, but obviously that didn't work, now did it?" He answered in his cold voice.
            I ran at him enraged, but he pushed me. I stumbled off the roof and grabbed the ledge of the building with one hand.
            "You should have listened John! Now you're gonna pay!" He screeched as he stepped on my hand.
            "Robert, you don't have to do this!" I answered.
            "Heh, come crawling back now eh?" he replied.
As he said this, I formulated a plan.
            "Time to die, John! Say hi to your son for me!" he yelled in a crazed voice.
            "I'm not comin' with you..." I answered.
            "What are you talking about?" He questioned.
            I reached for his ankle and pulled. He fell off the roof.
            "AAAAAAHHH!" he screamed.
            I looked down and saw him crawling away from something. Drowning in his own blood again, that's what he deserves. My head shifted right almost automatically and I saw 4 risers coming towards Robert. They knelt down and grabbed his abdomen, they ripped it open, they scarfed down his flesh.
            "This is what it feels like to be served a platter of s**t!" yelled Jackson. The sound of a gunshot echoed through my ears with pride. My face broke into a smile, surprising.
I pulled myself up with my last bit of strength and said "It's over, It's finally over...
As I walked away with no vengeance in my heart, I chuckled. Nobody could come back from that...
                       Not Even Me…



© 2014 Joaquin Rivera-Wilcox


Author's Note

Joaquin Rivera-Wilcox
Ignore grammar problems

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
Added on November 16, 2014
Last Updated on November 19, 2014
Tags: zombies, guns, death