An Uprising...

An Uprising...

A Chapter by Joaquin Rivera-Wilcox
"

The sixth entry in End of Days...

"

An Uprising...

     I grabbed Kevin's face and looked into his eyes. They were completely blank. It couldn't be true... He stopped squirming and his eyes rolled back into place. I stared into his blank face, as a huge drop of blood dripped out of his mangled nose. But it wasn't a normal red. It was black, the color of infection. I gritted my chipped, bloody teeth and moved away. A few seconds later, he got up on his only arm, and just stared at me with his empty, lifeless eyes.
    I looked around but just saw some cots and wooden walls. I reached into my pocket, and pulled out my hunting knife with hesitation. A tear welled up in my eye as I raised the battle scarred knife. As I was about to strike him, a gunshot sounded behind me and Kevin's head exploded into a mess of dark blood and pieces. My mouth hung open and I knelt on the bloody tiles, sobbing. I turned around to face the murderer. My eyes bulged and I screwed up my nose in rage.
    "Remember me now?" asked Dempsey in a taunting manner. I raised the knife in my bloody knuckles and plunged it deep into his meaty shoulder. Every wound opened by my knife was satisfying. Every drop of his tainted blood was glorious. A flash of light and I was looking down at Bruce, blood spraying from a stab wound in his shoulder. I pressed my bloody hand to the ripped, red stained lab coat, and set him down on one of the other cots. My hands reached into the First-Aid Box and I grasped a roll of bandages. It's the last of it, I thought. I wrapped them as neatly as I could around his shoulder. That stopped the bleeding.
    "Dad?" asked Kevin from behind. My head went up instantly, and I turned around quickly, causing blood to splatter all over the tiled floor. Kevin, was alive.
    "H-how?" I asked. He stared at me, puzzled.
    "How what?" He questioned.
    "It's nothing, son." I replied. So his death was a hallucination. Thank God, I thought. I almost forgot about Bruce. My head turned and our eyes met. He looked hurt, inside I mean. "I'm sorry, Bruce. I don't know what came over me." I let out a huge sigh and continued, "I think I'm going insane..." I heard a gasp from behind. Kevin, I thought. Bruce looked at me, squinting his eyes, and he passed out. I let out another sigh, "D****t..." I whispered.
    A decision had to be made. Leave or stay? "Kevin, we're leaving this hell..." I stated, "I'm going to fill up a car. We leave in 30 minutes." I walked to the garage, piled high with jerry cans, mostly empty. The gas was running low. Every drop was precious. As I filled the third can, a gunshot echoed from the med center. I dropped the jerry can, causing gas to spill everywhere. As the med center door burst open, Kevin was crouched in a corner, shaking, even a bit of whimpering. I walked up to him slowly and crouched down, grasping my bloody hand around his shoulder.
    "Is everything ok, Kev?" I asked.
    "NO! ALRIGHT? NO! I HAD TO KILL BRUCE!!!" He screeched.
    I turned around slowly and I saw Bruce, sprawled in a disturbing manner, dark blood dripping from a bullet hole in his forehead. "Did...did you hesitate?" I interrogated. He turned around and looked into my eyes.
"No-no..." He answered. My chest fell with relief as he said it. At least he can protect himself, I thought.
    I rested my hand on Kevin's shoulder again and replied, "It's alright, son. You did what you had to do... We'll bury him tomorrow." I walked over to Bruce's body and slung him over my shoulder. "Let's go Kevin, we're leaving." I commanded. We walked to the truck and I put Bruce in a body bag. As I stared at the bag, a single tear ran down my face and I wiped it away with sorrow. My weary legs carried me to the driver side of the black truck and I sat down. Kevin looked at me, but I did not look back. He was almost 18 now. The more I thought of it, the crazier it sounded. We've been enduring this s**t for 2 years now, and no change.
    I don't know what made me do it, but I took out my ASP pistol and held it to my temple and screamed, squeezing the trigger. The gun made a clicking sound. Out of ammo, I thought. "Great Kev, We're out of ammo. I'll get more." I explained. My fingers twitched with insanity as I reached for the door. I took out the armory key from my pocket and ran there.
    As I ran by the wall, it exploded in my face and debris crashed to the ground with a crunching noise. A dark figure was standing in the smoke. It walked slowly towards me, laying on the ground, helpless, and picked me up by the collar. I looked down and saw one hand. He emerged his face from the smoke, and I recognized his scars, and cold, blue eyes. This time, it was real. I knew it. "Let go of me, you worthless pig." I whispered in protest.
    He responded back in his Russian accent, "Where is your little boy huh? I brought him a... present..." I discreetly clenched my right fist, and slammed it into his cheek, causing the healing fingers to worsen. "Ooh, feisty one aren't you?" He replied in his scratchy voice. Footsteps echoed through the back alley, and Kevin appeared.
    "Dad? DAD!" He screamed. Dempsey put his hand less arm around my neck and pulled out a gun and pointed it to my temple.
    "Drop your weapon, or this dumbass dies!" He screeched. Kevin dropped his weapon on the ground and kicked it towards Dempsey.
    "Why are you doing this Dempsey?" I screamed. He let go of me and I fell to my knees, he then proceeded to kick me in the back. I fell over and turned around. The explosion attracted a riser. He grabbed it by the neck.
    "These monsters...They're annoying, but they're easy to kill. You know, kinda...kinda fun even." He turned the riser towards the ground and ripped it's head off. My eyes bulged with fear as he continued, "The real threat, is the people. An outbreak like this does things to men. The Violence. The Death. Seeing loved ones die... Change..." He threw the head on the ground and continued. "Makes people snap!" He stomped on the head with his boot, causing a sickening crunching sound. "Just like that. People just like you and I... Just when humanity should be coming together... They turn on each other instead. I've got a son to protect and I won't let anything get in my way."
    "Hey, we can help each other. I've got a son, you've got a son. We can protect each other. Handshake?" As I calmed him down, I put my hand out. He looked at in disgust and slapped it away harshly, leaving my broken fingers horribly stinging.
    "You're just one of those monsters!" He pulled out a knife and stabbed me in the shoulder, barely missing my neck. "You just wanna hurt him!" He twisted the knife and pulled it out at an angle, causing the wound to deepen and worsen. I instantly put my hand to my shoulder in pain, screaming. I fell to my knees and he picked me up by the neck, crushing my throat and I retched in protest. His forehead collided with mine, and I fell to the ground, blood in my mouth and eyes. I looked at him once more, and he jabbed the knife hilt in his burnt stump. "AUGH!" He screamed. He practically had two hands now, except one of them was a deadly weapon...
    "Welcome to Hell..." He stated. He ran at me with incredible speed, thrusting the knife towards my neck. Just then, Kevin rammed into Dempsey's shoulder, causing him to trip over his own feet, and fall to the ground. I waited, but nobody got up. I crawled over to them and touched Kevin.
    "Kevi...Kevin...Get...Up..." I stuttered. My hands reached for his shoulder and I pushed him on his back, causing my eyes to enlarge with rage and sorrow. Kevin had been stabbed. As red, sticky blood gushed out of the wound, I became angrier and angrier. I quickly looked at Dempsey. He was incapacitated. Now's my chance, I thought. I ripped his hand knife out of his wrist, causing him to awaken with a loud shriek of pain. "You...You son of...a b***h..." I stammered.
    With the knife raised in my knife, I thrusted it into his eyeball, over and over. Then I went to for the throat, plunging it deep into his meaty, fleshy neck. He made a choking sound as dark blood gushed from his lips. So he was infected huh?, I thought. I rolled up both of his sleeves and found a deep bite mark on his right arm. That's why he came after me, I thought. It seemed he went insane to finish the job after he had been infected. I ripped his left sleeve off and wrapped it around my wound. I attempted to get up. Pushing on my uninjured arm, I got up slowly but unscathed.
    I limped over to Kevin, and pulled up his sleeves. "I KNEW IT!" I screamed. That b*****d had bitten my son before he was knocked unconscious. He wanted to infect Kevin, and he succeeded... As people came around the corner, they gasped in terror from Dempsey's body and the gaping hole in the stone brick wall. But mostly, they gaped at me. They stared at me like I was an animal about to disembowel them.
    I turned my head towards them and screamed, "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU LOOKIN' AT?!" They all jumped at the sound of my insanity. I screamed once more and ran at one of the residents, plunging the knife into his kneecap. He fell over and screamed in a pool of blood. They all looked at me in horror and I pulled out my pistol, and aimed it at them, signaling them to drop their weapons. They dropped their guns and I picked them up and walked away.
    I dumped them in a crate in the truck bed and went to open the armory. I walked over to the locked door and unlocked it with my key. I took all the non-perishable food, grenades, ammo, medicine, and the guns. I practically took everything. As the key entered the lock, I broke it off so the residents wouldn't know I robbed them. The crate was extremely heavy and hurt my shoulder immensely. A couple minutes later, everything was loaded into my truck including Bruce and Kevin's bodies.
    I loaded my pistol and put it in the seat next to me, just in case I had to off Kevin. The mere thought of it brought a tear to my eye. I started the car and drove and drove. I had no idea where to go, so I went up the road where Kevin and I ran from Dempsey. I was going to see if Jackson was really dead...
                He better hope he is…



© 2014 Joaquin Rivera-Wilcox


Author's Note

Joaquin Rivera-Wilcox
Ignore Grammar Problems

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

326 Views
Added on November 16, 2014
Last Updated on November 17, 2014
Tags: zombies, death, guns