Prologue-The Fall of Civilization.

Prologue-The Fall of Civilization.

A Chapter by Shane
"

The First Men face their doom, is there no hope?

"

Isinapolis Capital of Ascythia Year 221- 23rd orbit of the sun and moons.

 

The day was hot, and the sun blared incessantly on the city of Isinapolis which was once the center of civilization. Now it was besieged by a force so overwhelming the end looked nigh. King Percifus the third looked out onto his once beautiful city that was being engulfed by a dark horde of beasts. He stood at the top of the high cathedral’s balcony, looking out at the chaos before him. “My liege, they’ve broken through the inner walls!” A runner reported as he collapsed from sheer exhaustion. The King looked back, his crimson cloak seem to flutter with tides of war. “How many of us remain?” He asked calmly. Rashness was not his way, but in his strategic mind, he saw no victory or escape. People cried out from the city, and the flames jumped from each building to the next. “Five hundred, at best…” His son Rangual answered. “Father, is there nothing we can do? No plea to the Gods?” His daughter asked stepping up next to her brother. Percifus turned to look at his radiant young daughter Diana who was to be wed this week. His bearded face was grim as he knew the Gods have indeed abandoned them to their fate. “When we turned our backs on the Gods, we took an oath to never ask for their aid again. That was the Price for our liberty.” He replied solemnly walking past them to the runner. “Get up boy. No time to rest in this hour of our destruction, there’s work to be done. Gather what remaining forces we have, and tell them to meet me in the Cathedral square. There we shall make preparations for our last stand.” The King ordered grimly as he walked out of the room.

          In the midst of the battlefield at the inner wall’s gate was one warrior leading the charge. “Stand firm!” Acaeus shouted to his fellow warriors. He hefted up his large bronze round shield and strutted over to his long elder wood spear that was stabbed into the ground. He grasped the long shaft and ripped it out of the ground. Looking at the myriad of beasts being held off by the phalanx of men pushing against the unstoppable tide of monsters. “On me!” He said rushing in to join the fray taking the center position of command. He slammed his shield into the black orc holding off its charge while the spearman behind him shoved his spearhead into the orc’s neck. The two sets of formations formed a spearhead like formation around Acaeus. The orc snarled and pushed to no avail against Acaeus’s shield, but the soldier behind him once again lunged a spearhead into the orc’s head. “On my mark!” He shouted over the grunts of his men, and the screams of the dying orcs. “PUSH.” He ordered. Synchronously the front line swatted the orcs back and lunged forward with their spears as a collective group as those behind them did the same. The ranks of the orcs screeched in terror at such onslaught and the phalanx pushed forward just as the line of orcs threw themselves at the shield wall. “Brace!” Acaeus yelled. In that moment he dug his heels into the sand as the front line was tested by another wave of orcs. His shield took most of the pressure but he felt his arm burning as the orc in front of him was trying to push his sword into the cracks of the shield wall. A boulder of flame flew over the walls above them and crashed into a building sending debris flying towards them. “Tostitos!” Acaeus ordered. The ranks of soldiers behind him threw their shields over each other’s heads in an effort to minimize the damage. It was all they could do to protect the front rank. The debris smashed some in the middle and at the end but overall the damage was minimum. “On my mark!” Acaeus repeated. Tostitos still up the men awaited the given orders. “Front rank, fling Spears!” Acaeus ordered. Same as before they slammed their shields outward sending the line of orcs tumbling back, but this time they took their spears and tossed them forward. Acaeus doing the same, pulled his arm back and chucked his spear at a charging orc with all of his might. The spear imbedded itself directly into its gut, and the force of the weapon lifted the orc off the ground and into his comrades. “Swords at the ready!” Acaeus shouted. The front rank unsheathed their short and dangerous sabers then ran forward in practiced unison. “Brace!” Acaeus shouted. They stopped and dropped to their knees angling their shields upwards only a bit. When the line of orcs leapt to slam into the formation, Acaeus gave the order. “PUSH!” The soldiers threw their shield arms up and tossed the orcs into the many spears of the Tostitos formation overhead. The line moved forward swiftly cutting down those in front of them, and throwing up their shield to rinse, wash, and repeat. A terrible howl was heard from the back of the horde as the orcs parted for a tall monstrous cyclops that charged towards the men with a large tree trunk as a club. Acaeus rushed to meet him head on, and the cyclops accepted his challenge. The monster swung low to sweep Acaeus aside but he leapt over the attack somersaulting under the creature. Once on his feet Acaeus slashed at its ankle while continuing to run behind it. The cyclops now enraged tried to turn to face the insignificant flea that had caused it pain but he saw nothing with his one eye, and in fact he did not feel Acaeus climbing on its back until it was too late. It reached to grab Acaeus but instead felt more pain as Acaeus sliced off its ginormous fingers by the threes. Acaeus climbed to the top and stood on its shoulders. He yelled triumphantly as he slammed his sword down upon its skull. The dead Cyclops fell forward right on top of the fleeing orcs. Acaeus leapt off just as it hit the ground sending the sand to cover them in a dust cloud. The Orcs patiently waited for the dust to clear, when it did they saw the men of Ascythia charging forward through the dead corpses of their allies with Acaeus leading the charge.

          Diana entered the deserted Oracle’s Chamber. Once upon a time this room would be filled to the brim with priests and oracles alike, scrambling to appease the Gods. Now it lay desolate, only dust and the sounds of battle entered the chamber. It was empty, no furniture, or adornments of any kind. Just Nine columns evenly spaced against the walls to symbolize all nine of the Gods of old. “Mighty Gods hear my plea, I Diana of the first men beckon to thee to hear my call, answer!” She called out into the empty room. She walked into the middle with eager anticipation. She felt a tingle in her blood as the braziers on each column sparked to life. “We answer thee Diana, daughter of Percifus the third.” A tranquil male’s voice said from behind. Diana turned to see that all the Gods had answered. For each of the golden humanlike faceless Gods stood at their respective columns. The room lit up even brighter at their presence, and Diana found it hard not to instantly drop to her knees. In fact the only reason she didn’t is because of her royal blood. “Why have you called us here?” A female Goddess asked. Diana turned to her and recognized her as Fate. “My countryman refuse to ask for your help out of pride, but I have come to ask for your aid.” Diana replied meekly. “We cannot.” Responded the Male God Justice. “Your people refused us, and you know how our power works. Through oaths and rituals.” Reason said while placing his hand on his temples to alleviate some pain he had. “I will make a pact with you all, whatever it is you wish.” Diana pleaded. The Gods looked at each other as if to confer with themselves. “There is nothing we can do. We do wish we could help, but we are simply unable too. We are not omniscient.” Mercy told the rest. She stepped forward towards Diana to speak to her personally. “We shall though, open a path to our halls for your dead. It is the only mercy we can provide.” She said quietly. “Go now, pray for your people. Give them strength as best you can.” Honor told her before he left. With a flash they all disappeared, save one. She was smaller than the rest but she stepped forward. “I am foresight.” She introduced herself. Diana turned to her surprised, and confused. She had never heard of foresight as a goddess. “I am recently of this world. Bred from reason and fate, I am the tenth.” She said softly. Her voice so soft it was almost a whisper. She looked to be a teenage girl, without a face, her toga stretched down to the ground, radiating sunlight. “I believe I can help, but not so much to save all. I can intervene to save one. Whomever you decide. Just kiss them lovingly.” With that she gently touched Diana’s lips with her fingers. “I shall freeze them in time, and awaken them only when it’s safe.” She reassured. “Why can you help but the others cannot?” Diana asked confused. “The other Gods cannot see what I can see. The world shall have need of a champion in the future. As my name is, I try to be prepared for all eventualities. All creatures, including us Gods, cannot deny our nature. Therefore I feel it is rash to allow all of your warriors to die helplessly.” She spoke walking away from Diana. “I just…Kiss anyone?” She asked the Goddess in a moment of understanding. The Goddess looked back. “Yes my dear, but know that they shall suffer immortality. Never shall they die of natural causes, they shall be a fixed point in time.” With that the Goddess flashed brilliantly and was gone. Diana fell to her knees and sobbed. She looked up, and knew she had to find her husband to be. Acaeus must live on.

          Acaeus’s troops suffered greatly with the arrival of the main force of the horde. It would seem that the Orcs were just the tip of the spear, as now his men retreated back to the cathedral as terrible Drakes hailed fire upon them. “To the Cathedral!” He shouted helplessly. He ran at their flanks, ensuring no man was left behind. A Drake screeched wildly, burning his ears with its terrible cry. It swooped down and carried off two of those in front of him and tossed them helplessly into a nearby building. “Don’t look back!” He yelled stopping where he was. If any were to survive they would need time. He turned to face the horde that were climbing the steps below. “Gods on high, hear my words. If I am to die, let me die well.” He prayed to himself gripping his sword tightly. He slammed his shield onto the ground which made a loud bong noise that resounded all around him. Here he would make his last stand.

King Percifus paced around the square at the foot of the cathedral. Looking up at the ancient building he felt a hint of shame. All his line had created, everything they built, and stood for was now falling to ruin. The men of the North had fled into the Dwarf country, abandoning his people to ruin. ‘Cowards’ he thought to himself, while the front line soldiers fled up the stairs terrified of what lay behind them. At the sight of their king, they dropped to a knee and bowed. “Sire, the city is lost…” One of them reported. “Where is Acaeus?” The king asked. The two looked behind expectantly, but their commander was nowhere to be found. “He was right behind us the last I looked sire…I don’t know where he be now.” The soldier reported. Solemnly and with a heavy heart the king put on his golden helm with its long red plume that spouted out from the top of the helm and blazed crimson against the rays of the sun. “Spear!” He shouted. From behind came the messenger boy from before clutching a golden spear with a sinister tip. He outstretched his arms, offering the spear to his king. King Percifus snatched it up without pause and turned to the five hundred odd men who stood in formation behind him. Hoplites all of them, the rest had fallen at the gates. The thought brought an angry sneer from the king as he approached the line. “The God’s have forsaken us, our allies have fled.” He spoke out loud to his troops. “Hordes of beasts are on our doorstep.” He shouted pointing out to the burned city. The sun began to drop towards the horizon as dusk was fast approaching. “We fight and die here. I know our fate is a grim one, and there seems little to no point in fighting, but if this is our end, let us not go quietly!” The king yelled for all to hear. The men said nothing, but their individual expressions told the king that they were with him till the end.

Acaeus tried to rise from his prone position on the mountain of corpses he had made. He had no energy as his arms buckled under his weight. He fell hard into the stinking carcass that was right below. He studied the narrow stairway between two destroyed buildings. He looked over to glance at the bottom to see if any enemy had happened upon him in his moment of weakness. He saw only dead orcs, and dead soldiers. He breathed in once and rose with all of his strength but a sharp pain at his side almost brought him down. He checked the area of pain and saw the broken shaft of an arrow sticking out of his right side. The leather cuirasses was near shattered around the arrow, and it hung loose held up only by the left straps on the other side. Acaeus sighed in irritation and clutched the wound as he made his way off the pile of dead beasts. His shield lay sundered at the head of the stairs, and Acaeus just left it there. The city was quiet now and Acaeus found that disturbing. Never had the center of civilization been so quiet. He made his way up the steps as best as he could. A trail of blood oozed out of him as he turned right to look up at yet another narrow stairway. It lead to the Cathedral Square stairway that was twice as long as this hike. Eagerly he began the long trek up the stairs panting over his inability to breathe properly. He pushed through the pain and the fatigue, while each effort drained more strength from him. He was halfway there when he heard the marching above. Acaeus rushed up the steps the best way he could, marble buttresses lined the cathedral walls in uniform as it overshadowed him in the twilight of the day.  Marching ahead of the large cohort of hoplites was his king. The very sight of the awe inspiring king of the first men sent goosebumps running along his arms as the collective stomps of the soldiers resounded around them. Acaeus rushed to meet his king. “Sire!” He shouted before awkwardly bowing before King Percifus. The king spotted his would be son in law, and smiled bitter sweetly. “Acaeus, I had feared that you had fallen.” Percifus told him sincerely. Acaeus rose to his feet and clasped hands with his King. “I am ready to fight.” Acaeus said, but the King shook his head. “No, see to my daughter’s safety and…” He paused out of heartfelt sorrow. “Her end. Do not let her suffer a painful death. End it quickly.” The King told Acaeus. “My lord, would it not be more prudent to stand with you in hopes of-” Acaeus began to say before the King shut him up with a stern look. “There can be no victory here. We march to our deaths, but you have served me valiantly. Go to your wife. Gain some measure of peace before your end. I am honored to call you my son.” The King said before ordering his troops to press on more swiftly. Acaeus understood his final charge and nodded solemnly. “Die well my King.” He muttered under his breath as he watched the men of Ascythia march away, the large spears of the Hoplites blotted out the dying rays of the sun and the red sigil of Ascythia waved on as they slowly made their way to the gates down below. Acaeus looked up to the Cathedral and gripped his wound once again. No time to dress the wound properly, but he could still do as he was commanded, and with that he lumbered up the large marble stairs towards the woman he loved.

Diana ran down the spiral staircase into the great hall of heroes. Statues of all the kings and heroic warriors that helped shape their society spanned the hallway. They all seemed to look up daringly, holding their respective weapons of choice. The great oak doors that marked the exit of the Cathedral were ajar ever so slightly, and squeezing through them was Acaeus. Diana saw her husband clutching a wound as he looked up with his emerald green eyes that conveyed a pain deeper than the wound he had sustained. He rose to full height and walked over to her, and she ran over to him with tears in her eyes. “Acaeus!” She shouted before embracing him desperately. He wrapped his arms around her and hugged her tightly, taking in the sweet scent of her hair and her perfume that smelled of lilacs. “All is lost my love.” Acaeus said somberly. “Not all, as long as we are together, hope yet remains.” She replied looking up into his eyes. Acaeus met her gaze and became lost in her shimmering brown eyes that lit up gold whilst light reflected off her irises. A single tear formed in the warrior’s eye and he looked downward to hide his shame. “Let us go to the lantern on high where we might see the end.” Acaeus suggested. Diana tried to hold back her tears, but felt the burning sensation of weeping forming despite her strength. “Yes, lets.” She replied, and so the two lovers walked across the main hall and up the steps towards the very top of the Cathedral of Ascythia, the lantern of Civilization.

King Percifus brought his men outside the main gates of the Royal District. He glanced back one more time towards where his daughter was and looked at the black horde of beasts now in front of him. “Form Phalanx!” He shouted to his men. The seasoned hoplites did as ordered, and arranged themselves accordingly around their king. Percifus looked out at his foes. A mass of beasts and monsters working collectively together for this day to occur. Orcs, Goblins, Cyclops, Dire wolves, Giants, Trolls, and the Drakes that flew above them. More to be sure, but Percifus knew this was indeed his end. Night had come, and with it the final battle of Ascythia. Two moons shined brilliantly in the night sky with a sea of stars twinkling over the smoke of the city. There were worst places to die, the King thought to himself. Fitting that the end of civilization was staged by the theatre of night. The drakes howled as they landed within the mass and suddenly four great dragons rose into the air howling their titanic screeches. The huddled mass of orcs in the front parted for the dreaded figure walking amongst them. He looked as if he might have once been a God, faceless as he was, but instead of radiating light and serenity, a red tinged darkness emanated out of his fiendish black armor. He wore the black helm of tyranny that formed the semblance of identity that was he. It was Neircid the Vile, last of the Titans. “King Percifus the third. So glad you were willing to entertain guests this auspicious night.” He cackled menacingly. His voice was as dark as the energy pouring out of him, and deeper than the depths of the sea. “Shields at the ready!” Was the warrior King’s response, and as such his troops brought their shields to the front, ready to engage. “Defiant till the end. Its better this way one such as you might have imagined. A fighter till the end, and you think your great sacrifice will have meaning. Tales, and legends spread across the land, singing about the King Percifus and his heroic last stand against the dreaded darkness of the Titans.” He spoke as he began to chuckle malevolently. “We killed your fleeing civilians. The woman and children you sent away from the city two days before now. No one will hear of your end great King Percifus.” Neircid said unto the king. The dark being reached into the sleeves of his tunic and seemed to form a snarled spear out of the shadows itself. He slammed the butt of it into the ground and the beasts around him stood straight. “Let us test the resolve of men.” He shouted to his army. The beasts howled to the moon and began their dreaded charge with Neircid remaining where he was. He began to laugh maniacally over the stomps and charges of the horde, his laugh echoed throughout the empty city and reverberated towards the heavens themselves all the way to the Gods looking down below, powerless to help.

Acaeus and Diana reached the very top of the Cathedral. Pushing the trap door open and climbing aloft to see the entirety of Ascythia. A large bowl of a brazier was in the center. Still filled with oil and a small lamp hung peacefully over it. “The night is eerily beautiful.” Diana said, and indeed it was, for they were higher than the smoke that rose out of the burning city and such the stars seemed within their grasp. Acaeus looked down to see the warriors of Ascythia fighting against the overwhelming numbers of the beasts. “Eerily is right.” He replied distantly. He looked up at the oil lamp still ablaze lifted it off the throngs holding it up. “Let’s give them something to see.” He told her before smashing it into the large bowl of oil. The large bowl instantly caught fire and burned brightly for all to see, and Acaeus found himself once again, hoping against hope that some force would arrive in the nick of time to save them from their destruction.

Down below the King of the First men fought hard against the beasts. Stabbing and smashing his way through the infinite numbers of enemies. An orc charged him with a primitive sword but he swatted the blow away with his shield and lunged his spear into its head and spinning himself around to rip it out and then slash another orc with his shield simultaneously. The phalanx faltered on the third charge of the beasts as the drakes plunged into the front ranks of the shield wall, creating an opening for the horde to pour through. Now it was scattered fighting within the shadow of the great gates behind them. A glint of light caught the Kings eye as he glance up towards the Cathedral to see the Lantern of Civilization lit. His eyes began to water as he felt a sense of pride swelling up inside of himself. Acaeus and his daughter watched. “Form up! Form up! On Me!!” He shouted before stabbing the sky with his spear. “Gods on high, fill me with strength.” He began to pray. Suddenly the golden spear began to glow ever so slightly. “Let me see the heavens, home of the honored dead, and give me their light…” He continued. A lizardman let out guttural growl before slinking towards the king, but was knocked down by a soldier’s shield and ran through with his sword. The remaining warriors created a shield wall around their king as the king’s spear shined more and more as he prayed. “Harken unto me the strength of a dozen suns! Let my enemies fear their light!” He shouted before slamming the spear into the ground. All sound and air seemed to be sucked into the epicenter of the fight and then blasted out radiantly sending light, and lightning alike all throughout the horde. Beasts squealed in burning agony as the lighting jumped off from one fallen creature to the next. The soldiers themselves, left unharmed by the effects of the devastating blast, charged with their king at their head towards the rest of the horde. King Percifus leapt into the ranks stabbing what he could and shield bashing as he saw fit. The warriors followed suite, leaping into the fray and charging with all their might. The king no longer cared for his own wellbeing, and fought his way to where he believed Neircid was waiting. Time seemed to slacken as the adrenaline kicked into his blood stream. He saw the beasts stabbing him repeatedly but felt nothing as he continued to fight, and continued to push through. To his left he saw his men fighting and dying in this last heroic attempt. Shields splintered and blood sprayed around him as he now felt his body slowing down. He was dead, he knew, but still he continued to stab, bash, slash, and stab repeatedly. He heard the cries of his men as one by one they fell to their deaths. “Victory or Death!” A death cry was heard from his son. All around him his men struggled to fight on before succumbing to their end. The King fought harder, his spear once again alighting brightly against the darkness of the horde. The beasts ran in fear away from him, and there he saw Neircid laughing at the King’s frail attempt to reach him. He ducked away from a spear tip and felt his helmet catch the blow. An arrow lodged itself in his chest, as a sword pierced his gut. His helm flew off as he was smacked in the face by a wooden shield. King Percifus the Third, fell to his knees. The glow from his spear dimmed despairingly as the owner was now dying. The beasts encircled the fallen king and parted in front of him for Neircid who was walking towards the fallen king. “You see good king Percifus, all fall before the tyranny of Neircid. Not even the mighty men of Ascythia can stand against-” He was interrupted suddenly when the spear instantly lit up as bright as it could, the light of a dozen suns shined so brightly that Neircid backed away in terror. King Percifus ran onto his feet, “Victory or Death!” he cried out loud as he pulled the spear back with his strong shoulders and launched it at Neircid in a last ditch effort. The spear sung as it pierced through the air and slammed into Neircid’s chest sending him flying back. The impact let out a sonic boom that sent the on looking beasts tumbling backwards. Neircid, still alive, but grievously injured howled in pain. “Kill them all! Raze the city to ashes!” He yelled, desperately trying to pull the spear out of his chest. The King of the First men smiled as the beasts converged upon him, he closed his eyes, and let death overtake him.

High above Diana and Acaeus witnessed the spectacle down below. Diana stumbled down to her knees as she witnessed the death of her father. She could not control the overwhelming fear, and sadness that choked the very strength from her limbs. She sobbed uncontrollably, as Acaeus saw the Dragons flying high above the horizon and eagerly heading this way. He looked down at his wife to be and picked her up. She let him and embraced him one last time before looking into expressionless face. She clasped her hands around his cheeks, and smiled serenely. “No matter what happens next Acaeus, know that I will always love you till the end of time itself.” She said over her stream of tears lining her face. Acaeus slipped his sword out of its sheath and gripped it tightly. “And know that I love you my beautiful wife.” He said as he brought her close to run his blade into her stomach. “I do this for you Acaeus.” And she shoved her face into his, kissing him lovingly. Acaeus dropped his sword as energy began to pour through him. What was happening? What was this?! Acaeus thought as he fell to all fours. His body began to shimmer in a golden light and disappear entirely. Diana stepped back and continued to do so as little by little Acaeus disappeared. “I love you!” She shouted over his cries of frustration. He reached out to her and began to yell out her name but then was silenced by the magic. Diana was all by herself as the dragons converged on her location. She picked up her husband’s sword and faced them bravely. The dragons hovered in front of her and let out a deathly roar. “I do not fear you!” She shouted back defiantly and then she jumped off the ledge, throwing the sword as she did so. The sword spun over the distance and lodged itself into the dragon’s eye. It let out fearsome cry of pain as Diana fell to her death. She closed her eyes, and thought of Acaeus, smiling as she plummeted to her death. The wind slapped all around her as she saw the fast approaching ground. She had no fear now, only peace, she had saved the love of her life, at the cost of her own. Her head smashed against the marble floor, and it was done. The last of the Ascythian people were dead, or so everyone thought.

 



© 2016 Shane


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A good start and an enjoyable read. Nothing like a good battle to get the blood flowing. You seem to have a pretty well thought out world established, always handy. I would suggest you break up your paragraphs a bit more. It would make it a bit easier for simple minds like mine to catch all the finer details. All in all enjoyable.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A good start and an enjoyable read. Nothing like a good battle to get the blood flowing. You seem to have a pretty well thought out world established, always handy. I would suggest you break up your paragraphs a bit more. It would make it a bit easier for simple minds like mine to catch all the finer details. All in all enjoyable.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
1 Review
Added on September 24, 2016
Last Updated on September 24, 2016


Author

Shane
Shane

Orange, TX



About
Pretty amateur, but I like to write. Hopefully everyone enjoys my writing XD more..

Writing
Day One Day One

A Chapter by Shane


Day Two-Failure Day Two-Failure

A Chapter by Shane