Chapter One-Wanderer from the South

Chapter One-Wanderer from the South

A Chapter by Shane
"

Jess dreads what the next day brings, and is humiliated on the night of the Spring festival. Suddenly a stranger appears, can he help her?

"

Village of Dun, year 980 1st day of spring

 

Jess watched the fish swimming about in the small stream behind the small shack that was her house. Her father had gone to the village market to buy what seeds he could for the coming days of hard work to be had. Chickens pecked the ground around her as a golden rooster watched over his group of hens. Days like this were boring for the thirteen year old girl, but thankful the spring festival was tonight. She rose from her squat and looked about the tiny farm they had that lay on the outskirts of the Village Dun. Then she looked north at the dark forest that was overshadowed by the large black mountain that protruded out of the middle of it like a terrible fang of malcontent. She tried not to think of the Dragon that had recently taken residents at the peak of Dark Mt. She tried not to think about the village sacrificing her mother in appeasement to the dreaded Dragon. The Wyrm would return tomorrow she knew, they all knew, and it would want Jess. As the only of age girl in the village, it was her turn to be sacrificed. She hated her father, who let it all happen. He didn’t try to reason with the village elder, or anyone else at all. They picked us, and he just accepted it. They could have fled to the city, or towards the north, but no, they remained here in ‘relative’ safety. Jess brushed her light blue dress off and walked inside to check on lunch. The pot of beef stew smelled delicious and an aroma of meat, tomato, and potato wafted throughout the tiny home. There was a simple wooden table in front of the hearth with two chairs beside it, and a bed at the back. Jess slept in the loft up high, and she was content with that at least.  She looked at the only book they owned and sighed. Her mother had taught her to read, and write. The family only owned one book, Tales of Ascythia. A large tome telling of the legendary heroes of the ancient lands to the south. Their warriors were a different breed of men, and stood as giants compared to their brethren of the north. They carried large golden shield with equally large golden spears that were as tall as three men! She dreamt of being a mighty hero of Ascythia, felling dragons, and gorgons alike. It was not her fate, she was the daughter of a farmer, never to travel, only to work and apparently be sacrificed to terrifying Dragons. She opened up the old book and breathed in the musty old smell the book released. “The Warrior’s code of Ascythia…” She read out loud. She imagined holding a spear up towards the sky like the picture in the book, and began to recite the code by memory. “I, a warrior of the freemen, do solemnly swear, to always fight for the good of all, to stand against tyranny, and slay all beasts that would do harm to the innocent! To never turn my back on those in need! To defend the weak, and defend the honor of Ascythia, always and forever!” She shouted as the door behind her slammed shut. She turned in surprise to see her father holding individual sacks of seed. “That nonsense again? I thought I told yea to tend to our lunch?!” Her father scolded. He was 5’10 and older than most. His blonde hair was balding, and turning white here and there. He sported a small scraggly beard and his blue eyes were cold, and empty do to his wife’s recent death. “I was Da! The stew is still cookin!” Jess said in defiance. “Is it now? No matter, stop filling your head with nonsense and make us a plate of the stew, work to be done before the festival tonight. No time to dawdle.” He said sternly before setting the sacks down. Jess walked over to the pot of stew with two wooden bowls, she dipped the ladle into the stew and made them both a plate. “Bread?!” He asked annoyed when Jess had laid the food down at the table. Jess nodded and went to the cupboard hanging to the left of the hearth. Opening it she saw a few spices, and loaf of bread wrapped up in cloth that was fraying at the seams. She grabbed the loaf and placed it on the table. Her father sneered at her as she did so, and she went to fetch a knife to cut it with. “Don’t forget the spoons…”He said, all the fire from his voice gone now. His voice seemed so frail now, he must be tired Jess thought as she looked at the man who had raised her. He wasn’t always bitter, but now he was set on being difficult. “Why don’t we run away?” Jess asked. He didn’t look up, nor respond. He simply looked into the bowl of stew distantly. Perhaps one time he would have, but now he was pale comparison to what a man was supposed to be, or at least what Jess thought a man was supposed to be. She grabbed two spoons, and a knife, she studied her features against the distorted metal and saw only a dim reflection of her auburn hair. She let out a depressed sigh and brought over the utensils. “Sit, eat, tomorrow we…” He began to speak, but upon the realization of what tomorrow would bring his voice failed him. “Tomorrow is a new day, who knows what’ll bring.” Jess said with false optimism. “Aye…” Her father replied before sipping the stew from his spoon.

          Dusk came and with it the decorations for the spring festival. Jess and her father approached the southerly entrance of the village dressed in their very best. He wore a ragged red doublet, and she wore one of her mother’s white dresses that was a bit too big. They approached the wooden arch that marked the entrance for the village Dun, and saw a myriad of stalls with peddlers announcing their exotic goods. Lines of rope were intertwined among the various stalls, with paper lanterns hanging off of them. A field of flowers lay at the center of the village. There the villagers danced, and sang to the various music being played by some of the more elder villagers who had been playing music here since they were children. Groups of children ran by, and paused at the sight of Jess. Carefully they avoided her and then began again their merriment. Jess was undaunted by the scene, and walked in anyway. Her father followed behind and escorted her to the center. “Yea stay here, I’m gonna go grab a pint.” He said before walking past the band, and to the tavern at the back of the village. So Jess stood there, awkwardly. She listened to the music, and the beat of the drums. Old man Terry played the pipes next to his wife who was strumming her lute wildly to keep up with the Headman Kiely’s beats upon the Bodhran Drum resting on his knees. “Look at you, a sight for sore eyes.” A voice said to her from behind. Jess turned to see Michael, the only boy her age in the village. He was stockier than most, being the son of the blacksmith. He had a calming smile that was contradictory to his wild red hair. “What do yea want Michael?” Jess responded stubbornly. “Only to dance with the prettiest girl here.” He said with a chuckle before walking past her. He looked at the crowd, and pretended to search. “Ah and who might that be then?” Jess asked not convinced. “I’m not sure, haven’t found her yet.” Michael teased. Jess reeled her arm back to hit him, “Hey now, only jokin. Plus I had to turn around to see yea properly...” He said feigning innocence. Jess lowered her fist, and blushed only a tiny bit. “And?” She asked bashfully. “Still haven’t found her!” He said running away from Jess who chased him into the crowd of dancing people. When she tried to maneuver around them she tripped, and lost sight of him. Frowning she rose back to her feet, and looked around when suddenly he clasped her hand and pulled her to him. She fell into his chest and reoriented herself to look up at him. “Found her yet?” She asked. “No, but you’ll do.” He replied with a wink before dancing circles around her. She stood there more awkward than ever. “Yea know I don’t nuthin about jiggin.” She said while he moved his feet two and fro with the music. “Ah lass there ain’t nuthin to it, listen to the music, and let your body do the rest!” He said clapping his hands to the music. Jess closed her eyes, and listened closely. She heard the drum beats, and the rapid successions of the lute backed up by the fiery pipes. “There yea go yea goon!” Michael shouted. Sure enough her feet took on a personality of their own dancing with the music. She opened her eyes and smiled brightly with Michael taking her hands and dancing with her. When the music stopped she bent over to catch her breath. “Yea always this tired?” Michael asked laughing. His forehead was dripping with sweat, but he was as lively as ever. “Only a wee bit tired…” She huffed and puffed in response. “Well then let’s get us some food.” Michael said taking her hand and leading her away from the field of flowers. The tempo of the music changed from fast to slow as a beautiful woman approached the band and began to sing elegantly in dwarven. “Well she must be the prettiest girl here, why not ask her to dance?” Jess asked Michael. “Nonsense. She doesn’t hold a card to you.” He replied walking up to the peddler. The stall smelled of some kind of seasoned beef, and Jess had to swallow the saliva that formed from the mouthwatering fragrance. “What be these then?” Michael asked him. “Beef kababs young man.” The peddler had a northerly accent and he produced two sticks with meat and veggies skewered on top of each other. “I’ll give you a good deal, and give you two for the price of one. One for you, and the lady over there.” He offered Michael with a wink. “How much then?” Michael asked in response. “Five Silverlies.” The peddler said. Michael reached into his pocket and produced a small leather pouch and emptied its contents into his hands. Jess turned away to look at the singing woman and her radiant voice that resounded from the center. No one danced, but merely listened to sultry song.

Anseo a Thean me aris, I dtreo an bothar fada.

I dtreo bothar mor chun cogaidh Teim

Chanadh liom amhran an ghra,

A chanadh dom amhran nach cogaidh,

A chanadh dom laoi na siochana,

Agus morshiulta me ar an mbothar uaigneach…

She finished and everyone cheered and clapped their hands. Jess found herself wondering what she sang, but regardless it was a sad tune. Jess couldn’t help but cry slightly at it. Michael stood behind her, holding the kababs. “Time to eat.” Was all he said and Jess brushed away her tears and grabbed the kabab that Michael held out for her. “Thank yea Michael…” She said quietly. Michael smiled which disarmed her even further. “Was it too much to spend?” Jess asked. “For you? It was a steal, now eat up!” Michael urged before devouring his whole. She chuckled before nibbling on her own. Michael walked forward and looked up at the stars. “What do yea think is up there? Can’t be just twinkling lights and a few moons.” He said out loud. Jess walked up next to him and kissed him on the cheek. Michael’s face immediately turned red and he seemed to freeze. “That’s for bein so kind to me.” Jess said while nibbling some more on her food. “Ah…well don’t mention it.” He replied nervously. People began to gather around the center as the Headsmen stepped up on a crate he placed for just this occasion. “Gather, gather.” He shouted to the crowd. Everyone did, and Michael took her hand once again and brought her to the crowd. She saw her father standing next to the elderly leader of the village, and Michael spotted his own father next to Jess’s, both looked red in the face from too much drink. “Yes, yes thank you all for coming out this year!” Kiely began, everyone cheered ecstatically and the old man waited for them to stop. “We survived yet another winter and now we make preparations to start planting the spring and summer crops!” He said with enthusiasm. “But, we’ve lost a few villagers. Mary O’ Flannigan, Wife to Thomas here.” He pointed to Jess’s father. “Her sacrifice brought us a season of peace, and her daughter’s sacrifice shall bring another season of peace.” At this Michael looked over at Jess aghast. “Why didn’t yea tell me?!” He whispered. “I thought yea knew.” Jess replied in a hushed tone. “The Barons of the north gather troops to face this-” But he was cut off by Michael shoving his way to the front, shouting to be heard. “Why does she have to be sacrificed?!” Michael shouted. “For the good of-” “Hang the good of whatever! First her mother, now her?! Where’s the justice in that?!” Michael screamed. “Silence Lad.” Michael’s father hissed beneath his teeth. “No Da, you told me to stand up for what I believe in, and I don’t believe a wee girl should be forced to sacrifice so much! What about her right of kin? She’s an only child, she-” Michael was silenced by a slap to the ground by his own father who had rushed over to him. “Lad, she’s a girl. She doesn’t have the right of kin. She’ll never be able to carry on her family’s name.” The Headsman explained. “Now, as I was saying. Her valiant sacrifice will buy the Barons enough time to take down the Dragon.” The Headsman started to say, but Jess turned and fled from the village. “Jess!” Her father called out, and the villagers turned to see her fleeing towards her home with tears in her eyes. Jess couldn’t think, she couldn’t understand, but right now her legs acted on their own accord, she ran as fast as she could down the road, and past her own home. The ends of her dress slapping against the rough ground. She kept running until the sound of a horse whinnying incessantly forced her to open her eyes. She looked forward and saw the front hooves of a horse falling towards her and she fell backwards to get away.  She landed roughly and glanced up at the rider. Cloaked in tattered crimson he looked down at her through his red plumed Corinthian helm. Green eyes flashed against the moonlight as they studied her and she saw a large golden shield strapped to his back. She had seen his kind before, in the pages of the only book she had. He said nothing, but continued to study her. She in turn was awestruck and speechless. The horse nickered in annoyance, and was brought to heel by the mysterious rider. “Greetings girl.” The man said. No accent at all, and his voice was deeper than most but carried a certain strength in tone. “Uh greetings…stranger.” She replied hesitantly. “Are you injured? What were you fleeing from?” He asked. She was amazed over his impeccable speech pattern. Eloquent and yet firm. “I’m…I’m fine. I was…” What was she doing again? “Jess!” She heard her father shouting in the distance. She remembered now. “I was running away from me fate…” She replied somberly. “None can do so. Face your fate with courage” Was all he said before urging his steed onward, the horse clip clopped past her before stopping again and turning towards her. “Get on.” He ordered, and Jess instinctively rose to her feet and moved to mount the horse. He reached out his arm and the cloak parted revealing a golden raiment of armor on his chest. She grabbed his arm and he hefted her onto the back of the saddle. “What village is this?” He asked her calmly. “Dun, milord.” She replied. “I see. I have no knowledge of this Dun. I see the villagers running towards us, I shall leave you with them.” He said. “I don’t want to be with them, I don’t want to die tomorrow…” She said leaning her forehead against the shield on his back and sobbing. He said nothing but spurred the horse to walk on.

          When the villagers reached the two they also stopped in utter amazement. “Greetings.” The rider said. Thomas approached first to address his daughter. “Jess, get down from there.” He ordered. Jess did so slowly, not wishing to reunite with her father right now. “Apologies for the inconvenience milord, no doubt yea wish to partake in the spring festival, if you will but-” The Headsman tried to continue before the rider threw up his arm to stop him. “I do not wish to be delayed any further. Feed and water for my horse, and I’ll be on my way.” The rider ordered. “Of course, of course. We can see to that.” The Headsman replied. Michael arrived late to the scene with a bruising face, which the rider took note of. “Michael, lead this man’s horse up to the village.” His father ordered him. Michael glared at his father and did as he was told.

          Michael held the reigns of the horse with the rider sitting silently on the saddle. “Why did the girl flee?” The rider asked. Michael was hesitant to involve strangers in the village’s business, but he looked back at the rider and thought maybe he could help. “A dragon roosts at Dark Mt.” Michael pointed at the tall and menacingly large mountain towards the north. “And Jess…er the girl is to be sacrificed tomorrow to appease it for another season.” Michael finished, wondering if the stranger would do something to save Jess. “I see.” The rider replied. Silence followed as they made their way up the road towards the village.

          Jess was thrown into the shack by her father. She hit the walls hard, and tried to rise to her feet before he backhanded her. She flew backwards against the blow, and fell onto the wooden bed frame. “Gonna run away then? Is that what you were doin?” Her father spat. He grabbed her and pulled her away from the bed. “Me brother ran away from his responsibilities, and he died because of it!” He yelled before kicking her in the back of the head and dropping her where she was. Jess screamed in pain, but was silenced by her father’s hands around her throat. “He left me with you, and yer mother. So I had to pick up the slack!” Thomas said while choking the life out of her. He loosened his grip and she gasped for air. “Now, you’ll do yer duty tomorrow. That’ll end this thirteen year mistake on his part.” He shouted at her before leaving her to her wounds. She brought her knees into her chest and sobbed again for that night. The realization that the man who raised her wasn’t her father was too much to handle, and that her real father was in fact dead. She was an orphan, and now she realized why she was picked for sacrifice. The house was dark and there was no light. She looked up for something to comfort her, but the black of the night was all there was. She got up and felt a sharp pain on her head where she was kicked. She walked up to the hearth and began lighting it. She tried to control the dry heaving and the tears flooding down her cheeks, but simply could not. She continued to try and get a fire going but threw the flint against the wall in frustration. She sat there as the tears stopped, and her emotions settled down. She thought of the rider, and knew what he was. A warrior of Ascythia. Suddenly she remembered the oath. “Always, and forever.” She whispered. She ran up the ladder leading to the loft, and threw her dress off. She searched for her travel clothes in the wooden chest that held what little possessions she had. She grabbed the brown dress and lifted it over her slim body and let drop over her. She checked the sleeves and made sure her boots made of cow hide were tied properly. She leapt off the loft and landed perfectly in a crouch and rose to find her knapsack. She felt around in the darkness, and her fingers slid over its smooth surface. She grabbed the straps and lifted it off the ground and turned to the table where the tome sat. She grabbed it and held it close to her chest. “Always and forever.” She repeated, knowing what she had to do. She put the book in her knapsack and twisted the bag around to fit over her arms and slid herself through it. She tried to open the door but found it locked. “Balls!” She swore out loud. “Pale skinned, livy livered c**t.” She swore some more. She looked around the room for some method of escape, and saw the window up by the loft. “That’ll do.” She said to herself, climbing it again, and hopefully for the last time. She kicked the window out, and shattered the flimsy frame. She poked her head out and looked around. A straight drop and no safe way down. “That looks too far down…” She muttered to herself. The drop was approximately twenty feet down, but she took a deep breath in, and angled her legs out to jump out feet first. She hesitated, was this really the right thing to do? The village could be destroyed if she left. No, she was free to decide for herself, no parents, meant no one could tell her what she can and cannot do. So with that logic in mind, she tossed herself off the side of the house. She landed hard, and not as gracefully as she could. When her feet hit the ground she fell forward, slamming her face against the dirt road. She felt some blood trickle down from her forehead, but wiped it off with the sleeve of her dress. Nothing would stop her now.

 

          Michael laid on his bed in the attic of his house. Looking out of the window to his right and into the green fields that surrounded Dun, he sighed. He was powerless to save Jess, his dear friend whom he had known since they were but small children. He placed his hand on the cheek where she had kissed him, and sighed again. It wasn’t fair. Life wasn’t fair his father had just told him, but he there must be something he could do, something they could all do. Instead they cowered like sheep against the dragon. The silence of the house poured into his thoughts, and the absence of noise was driving him crazy. He looked up at the rafters of his home, and became more irritated the more he thought about what was happening. A tap broke his concentration. He looked around for the source of the noise, and another tap drew his attention to the window. He looked down to see Jess in a brown dress wearing her knapsack. She waved to him and he smiled. He got up on his knees and struggled to open the window. He flipped the latch and threw the panel outward and pushed his head through. “Jess!” he whispered loudly. “Michael! Where be the rider?” She whispered back. The lights of the village glowed against her figure, and he felt a strange tug against his chest at the sight of her now. “He left down the northern road, why?” Michael asked. “I’m runnin away, and I mean to go with him. When did he leave?” She asked. At her words Michael felt a strong pain where the tug was, and he fell silent. “Michael?” She called to him. He realized then he loved her, and with that he didn’t want her to leave. He shook his head, this was the only way to save her life. Either she had to leave him to live, or she had to stay and die. The answer to his young mind was simple. “Not even an hour ago, run now and you can catch up to him!” Michael called out. “Thank yea!” and with that she turned to run down the road. “Wait!” He called out to her. She turned and looked up at him. Her brown eyes were dark in the nightly atmosphere, but she was more beautiful than ever to him. “What is it? I haven’t much time.” She replied. “Have fun, and good luck on yer adventurin!” He said, choking on his words, and hoping she didn’t see him tearing up. “Thank yea Michael, I won’t ever forget you!” She said waving to him while running towards the northern road. He watched her run free, and continued to do so until she was beyond his sight. “I love you…” He said to her memory, but only the shadows and darkness heard his words.

          Jess sprinted down the road, nearly falling face first a few times, but she didn’t lose her momentum. She had never been on the northern road before, and now she traversed it by moonlight. She looked on to see if the rider was in view, but saw only scattered trees, and the dusty road. Still she ran, despite the burning in her chest, and the throbbing pain from her head. The road dipped down and she followed eagerly. Hopping over some stones that protruded out of the ground. She stopped and looked back at her village. The lights of the festival were still blazing brightly against the night, and the music echoed outwards giving her a sense of disconsolation. She thought of Michael, and her Mother. Before she knew it, a single tear formed at the corner of her eye. She didn’t bother to wipe it away, but turned back to the road and continued running.

          Hours had passed, and she still saw no sign of the rider. She began to feel defeated, but shook the thought away. There was no turning back now, she had to press on. Too tired to run, she walked forward in a fatigued manner. She couldn’t feel her legs anymore, and she started to feel hungry. She stopped and laid down. It was a bad idea for sure, she thought, the more she stopped, the more the rider would put distance between the two. She simply couldn’t help it. She looked around at her surroundings and saw the forest on the horizon. She had never been so close to the sinister place before, and up close the forest was even more daunting than she remembered. She forced her weary body to rise, and started down the road again. Breathing heavily she desperately thought of her mission to live, hoping it would carry her through this long stretch of pain and anguish. What if he tells her to go back? She thought, what if he doesn’t want her to help her…The somber thoughts intruded onto her optimism, and she had to shake those thoughts away too. She had no choice, and she had to see this through to the end. Suddenly she saw a light flicker up ahead. It was distant, but it could be the rider. With renewed vigor she began to run towards the light. The road rose steeply up a hill, and she forced her exhausted legs to climb up it. Once she crossed over the crest of the hill she saw the light was in walking distance right under the tree line, but could not make out anything around it. She pattered down the hill excitedly and approached walked towards the campfire which she thought would be her salvation.

          The campsite was empty, only the fire blazed. She sighed and sat down next to it for warmth. She studied the abandoned spot, and wondered if the rider had even made the fire. She felt a sickening sense of dread upon realizing that this fire could have been started by beasts. She slowly rose from her sitting position, and backed away. Suddenly alert now she looked into the dense forest in fear of what may come out, and glanced around her hoping a beast wouldn’t be right there. A howl of a wolf snapped her into attention and she began to run away from the campsite. She heard twigs snap and saw them. Goblins riding wolves, they screamed and jeered at her. She ran as fast as she could, and didn’t bother to count how many there were. As she ran she felt a hot pain piercing through her right leg and found herself falling face first. She screamed in pain and turned to see four in fact, one holding a bow, and the others holding spears. She looked down uneasily at her leg and saw a black arrow in her right calf. “Gots us a scrawny wun.” One goblin said to the rest in a shrilly voice. “Ehehehe yis, shes be delicious cooks rare.” Another cackled in delight. “Me thinks we cooks her alive. Hears her screams we will ahaha.” One said as he dismounted his wolf. He approached while pulling out a makeshift knife. “Bests makes sures she doesn’ts leaves us. “No.” Jess said in anger. “Wut? Nos? Whats you gonna do abouts it?” It said to her laughing. The goblin stood over her now as it laughed some more. “This.” She yanked the arrow out of her leg and grabbed the goblin by its oily hair. It yelled in pain as she jabbed the arrowhead through its skull. Only a gurgle of blood was heard from the creature now. Jess snatched up the creature’s knife and held it out threateningly. “Oi! She kills Gib, shes wasn’ts supposed to do that’s.” One said. “Ah nows we haves to kills her.” Said the archer, notching an arrow. “Do yer worst, I’m already dead!” She shouted before rushing the archer. The sudden upshift in fighting caused the cowardly goblin to miss his shot, the arrow launched off and veered towards Jess, but she ducked away in time and leapt forward to thrust the dagger into the goblin’s neck, and its black blood sprayed across her face. The dead goblin slid off its mount and onto the ground. The other two rushed towards her, spear tips glinting against the firelight. Jess now weaponless, collapsed to her knees, ready to get it over with. She heard the screeches of the goblins as they drew in on her, but suddenly she felt someone lifting her up by her knapsack. She opened her eyes to see herself floating or rather being carried off the ground as she was plopped onto her stomach on the back of a familiar saddle. She looked up to see the rider holding a golden spear as the movement of the horse made her bounce up and down on the saddle. One of the goblins produced a horn and blew on it, sending a loud thooooooouuummmm throughout the forest. The tree line began to rattle with movement as dozens of goblins rode out of the forest on the backs of their lupine mounts. Arrows whizzed by as the rider maneuvered his steed to dodge them. “Get under the shield.” He told her. She looked up at the shield on his back and saw an elegant ‘A’ etched into the face of the large circular shield. She struggled to climb properly onto the saddle, but did so despite the horse going full gallop along the hillside. She slid herself underneath the shield for cover and wrapped her arms around the mysterious warrior. The rider wheeled his steed around towards the goblins. Ducking around the arrows he jabbed his spear into the mass of goblins, lifting one of the goblins off the mount and sending it flying. He pulled hard on the reigns steering the horse left as he loosened the grip on the spear shaft, allowing it to slide outwards. He then swung the spear like it was a sword slapping another goblin in the face with a resounding crack against its head. Before riding hard towards the campfire. The horse was going so fast Jess was barely being bounced around now. “Jump!” He called to the horse, and the horse leapt over the fire, and landed smoothly before continuing its gallop. He egged on the horse to continue its flight up the road, and Jess looked back to see that the goblins were unable to keep up. The horse carried them far up the road to shake off any pursuers before he slowed the horse down to a canter, than a trot, and finally the horse stopped all together. “Time to get off.” The warrior said. Jess got out from underneath the shield, and dismounted. When she put weight on her leg, she felt pain shoot up throughout her body and fell down. She had forgotten the wound in the heat of the moment and raised herself up to a sitting position. The rider himself, dismounted as well. He was shorter than she expected, probably a bit smaller than her…uncle…she guessed. “Thank yea, milord…I” A stern look from him made her clamp her mouth shut. “Don’t speak. Not yet.” He said as he began to care for his horse. The horse was almost all brown save the black hide at its hooves, and the white streak running down its nose. “You’re the girl from the village, yes?” He asked her while brushing the horse’s flank. “Yes, I am.” She replied. “Why?” He asked. The question threw her off, and she racked her brain for a proper response. “Why what?” She asked in turn. He stopped and sighed. “Why chase after me?” He asked sternly. “I couldn’t stay there and be sacrificed to a bloody dragon now could I?” She spat. “Fair enough.” He responded with some irritation. “Aside from that, you were obviously running down that road to catch up to me. Why?” He asked with same word. “Yer a warrior of Ascythia.” She replied meekly. He stopped, and remained unmoving for a second upon hearing ‘Ascythia.’ “’Was’ a warrior of Ascythia. No longer can I claim that title.” He said continuing to brush the horse. At that Jess jumped to her feet, and let out a yelp of pain but managed to limp over to him regardless. “Once a warrior of Ascythia, always a warrior of Ascythia. Always and forever! Remember?” She said accusingly. He stopped and turned around, dropping the brush entirely. He stood over her, peering down from his helm menacingly. “You speak of things, you know nothing about little girl. I suggest you go back to you village, and accept whatever the fates have decided for you, as I have had to do as well.” She shrank from his imposing figure and stepped back a bit. “But you…” He ignored her words as he picked up the brush and mounted the horse, and started down the road in a trot. “Wait!!” She shouted. She tried to run after but her leg tinged with pain and all she could do was hobble in his general direction. “I, a warrior of the freemen, do solemnly swear!” She started. “To always fight for the good of all, to stand against tyranny…” She yelled out. “And slay all beasts that would do harm to the innocent! To never turn my back on those in need! To defend the weak, and defend the honor of Ascythia, always and forever!” She yelled till her voice faltered. “Ugh, I need some water…” She muttered to herself hopelessly as she decided to simply sit down. She hung her head low, and finally gave up, until she heard the clip clop of the horse as it approached her. “Are you aware of the consequences of reciting that oath?” He said to her. She looked up defeated. “I’m already dead.” She managed to say before dropping her head back down. He studied her again, and shook his head. He hopped off his horse and laid his shield on the ground. “Lift it, and I shall accept your oath.” He said plainly. She looked up at him and then down at the giant shield. She knew without trying that the shield was too heavy for her to lift, especially with a wounded leg. “If you cannot lift it, or not even willing to try, you have no business calling me to my oath. Greater men than I have spoken those words, they died a gruesome death. To speak those words, you must understand fully that you will die in battle, and embrace the fact.” He said to her pacing back forth by the shield. “So I say again, lift the shield!” He shouted loudly, his voice bouncing off the trees and carrying farther than intended. Jess looked at the shield and rose to her feet. Everything in her mind was telling her it was pointless, but one voice overruled them all, ‘You’re already dead.’ And so she screamed as she clasped her hands around the edges of the shield pulled with all her might. The shield tilted a bit but her strength faltered as the pain in her leg reminded her of her limitations. “See? A girl cannot become a warrior such as I. Too weak, and too prone to defeatism. You failed this test before you even started.” He chuckled. Enraged Jess tried harder, and the shield tilted more but remained stationary for the most part. “Is that all you can do? You deserve to be fed to a dragon.” He challenged. Jess continued to lift, but this time she turned around, changing her grip to underhand. She lifted with her legs and the shield lifted a bit higher, and this time Jess backed up to get underneath it. She crouched, resting the heavy shield on her back and felt as if the whole world was crushing her small frame. The rider fell silent as he watched her struggle to stand up right with the shield. ‘I can do this’ she thought to herself while she felt her wounded leg on the verge of buckling underneath the intense weight. Slowly she rose, as sweat streamed down from her forehead. She slammed her eyes shut as the sweat drops tried to invade her eyelids, and felt the salty taste as the sweat entered her mouth. Straining to lift the shield she recalled a memory of Thomas on the farm. ‘Lift with yer legs, and keep yer back straight.’ He had once told her when teaching her to lift a plough at the age of five. “That’s right.” She muttered to herself as her legs obeyed her commands slowly to stand up straight. “Me life, hasn’t ever been easy!” She cried while adjusting her arms directly underneath the shield, and pushing against it with all the strength she had. She thought of the death of her mother, and the hard hand of Thomas and his abuse. She couldn’t feel the pain on her leg, nor any other strain on her body. Slowly she rose from her position, dead-lifting the shield over her head. Michael’s face flashed in her mind, and she knew that she couldn’t fail now. She felt her back stiffen and steadily she started to stand straight with the shield in both hands. She raised the shield overhead triumphantly, screaming victoriously. In that moment of clarity she felt her leg give in, and a terrible need to retch. She collapsed from the pain dropping the shield. The rider snatched it up in midair in effort to spare her from its crushing weight. She fell to her knees and puked up everything in her stomach, not once, but twice. Her eyes burned from the tears being forced out, and she felt as if though the contents of her stomach would exit from every orifice on her face. When her body had settled down from the extreme exhaustion and pain, she fell face first into her own excrement and rolled away to stare at the night sky. She heard the rider calling to her but it sounded distant, her vision began to dance and sway about her as darkness encroached all around when finally her consciousness drifted away.

          She awoke to the smell of musty mildew and the sounds of birds chirping overhead. Opening her eyes slowly she saw sunlight scattering through the bright green canopy of the forest she was in. She turned her head towards the sounds of movement to her left, and spied a campfire that was no more than smoke and embers. Standing over it was a heavily muscular man in a simple red sleeveless tunic with shin high leather sandals and sandy brown hair that was cut short. His expression was grim, and his green eyes blank as he stood with arms crossed over his chest. The familiar sight of the horse walked into view to disturb him from his deep thoughts. As if snapped out of a spell he looked up to see she had awoken. “You’re awake.” He said, walking over to her. He knelt closely and produced a waterskin from under his crossed arms for her to sip on. At the sight of water Jess snatched the leathery pouch and began to squeeze its contents into her mouth. The sweet taste of water cleared her parched lips and she drank heavily. “Drink as much as you can.” He said, obviously relieved she was okay enough to drink water. When Jess had finished, she wiped the remaining water she had spilled off her face. “Who are you? Where’s the Rider?” She asked the unfamiliar stranger. “I am he, I figured you would put two and two together…” He said while messing with the saddle bag on the ground. Jess shook her head to get her bearings, and finally remembered the events of last night. “Aye, sorry. Mind is a bit muddled right now.” She looked down and saw she was covered in a blanket of furs and upon further inspection she noticed that her wounds from last night had been dressed and bandaged. She wore the clothes from last night, and felt a slight sting at her calf as she tried to flex her legs. She winced at the jab of pain, and remained unmoving. “Did I pass?” She asked. He rose away from the saddle bag and approached her with an apple and a hand full of wild berries. “Eat, all shall be explained soon.” He replied while kneeling at her side to offer her the food. She grabbed the red apple and took a large bite out of it, and shoved the berries in her mouth all at once. After a moment of chewing and swallowing the food she looked up at him. “Can I at least know yer name?” She asked. “I am Acaeus.” He replied. “Nice to meet yea Acaeus, I’m Jess.” She said cheerfully. Acaeus chuckled and rose again. “Yes, you passed.” He said walking over to his equipment laying against a stump. The armor was no longer golden, nor was the spear, it looked more coppery than anything else in the light, Jess thought to herself. She was sure it was golden though, it’s not an easily confused color. He hefted the armor by the saddle, and began to rifle through the bags again. “So you’ll take me with yea?” She asked excitedly. Acaeus said nothing, but instead pulled out a flask of some sort and gently dipped the lid over the armor, and let a single drop fall onto the armor’s surface. Immediately he pulled out a rag, and began to spread the liquid all over the armor. “Yes.” He replied simply while continuing to scrub the Armor. After a few wipes she saw that the copper color was being wiped away to reveal a golden sheen on the armor’s surface. Jess’s eyes opened in amazement at the results, and she tried to rise to get a better look. Her leg gave her trouble, but she ignored it as she approached Acaeus from behind. “How did you do that?” She asked curiously. “The Armor, the Spear, and the Shield are all made of a metal called Illianite.” He began. “Illianite requires constant polishing to prevent it from taking the brittle form you just saw. Our engineers theorized that Illianite is unlike other metals in the regard that it grows when exposed to sunlight, but when it grows it loses the integrity of the metal until polished.” He said while wiping off the rest of the armor. “When polished to its base form it regains its toughness, but we were unable to figure out why it loses it when it grows.” He finished before walking up and grabbing the shield. “So, is it alive then?” Jess asked admiring her reflection on the golden armor. “Unsure, but I wouldn’t doubt it.” Acaeus replied. Jess nodded as if she understood, but really she couldn’t quite understand. “How much does that shield weigh?” Jess asked with a hint of curiosity. “This shield weighs almost nothing.” He replied with a smirk. “Impossible! It took all of my strength to lift it!” She shouted. “Illianite weighs little. It is heavy to you, because of your small frame, and wounded leg. In time we shall strengthen you to par, and you shall lift this shield as I do. Well, almost.” He chuckled, adding a bit of sarcasm to the last words. She paced around the campsite with a scowl, and looked around. Suddenly she realized this spot was close to the goblins she had encountered last night. She ran over to Acaeus and nudged his shoulder. “Isn’t this where the beasts camped last night?!” She asked worriedly. “Yes, but we are safe.” He responded. “How are we safe?” Jess asked not so convinced. “Last night…” He began, while rubbing the last bit of the shield. “I killed them all.” He said plainly. Jess guffawed at the ridiculous statement. “There was like, twenty of them. Impossible for one man.” She replied incredulously. “Twenty eight to be exact.” He replied, “Furthermore nothing is impossible with a clever mind, and stout heart.” Acaeus finished while lifting the spear and beginning to polish the haft. Jess nodded in response before pacing around again. It was cool under the shade of the trees, and Jess found herself admiring the forest all the villagers had feared for so long. She couldn’t spot Dark Mt. and when she thought of the mountain, she remembered the Dragon. In a panic she tried to spot the position of the sun, but the trees being so many the sun’s location was skewed. “The Dragon!” She shouted, she rushed over to Acaeus to get his attention. “What about the Dragon?” He asked in response. “Are we not going to slay the Dragon?!” She asked in a panic. “I didn’t think so. The Dragon seems to be causing no one but the villagers harm, and felling a Dragon is no easy task.” He replied in a calm manner. “But the villagers don’t have a sacrifice! They’ll be killed!” Jess countered, unmoved in his casual dismissal. “And? The world is rid of cowards who would sacrifice a mere girl to save their own hides. Do you really want to save them?” Acaeus asked looking up at her. She stepped back, disturbed by his jaded attitude. “Cowards, aye. Still, cowards or not, to stand back and do nothing makes us as equally cowardly if not more! Besides! Not all of them wished to see me sacrificed…” Michael appeared in her thoughts as she uttered the last phrase. Michael was worth saving, and subsequently that meant saving the whole village to her logic. Acaeus looked down, and started to chuckle. “It’s a good thing that I am readying my weapons then.” He responded, chuckling some more. Jess looked at him in a confused manner. “Wait, did you intend to slay the dragon all along?” He continued to laugh jovially. “Yes, it was always my intention to kill the beast. I was testing you to see whether or not your integrity was as strong as your conviction. Saddle the horse, we ride to battle on the suns brief movements.” He responded, and Jess limped to do as she was told.

          The two rode out from the forest, and reached the village in an hour. Acaeus glanced at the sky and saw it was just past noon. They passed through the northern entrance, and saw that the village was more of a ghost town than anything else. Acaeus dismounted to investigate, but ordered his charge to remain on the saddle. He was fully armored, but his crimson cloak wrapped fully around his person, covering the golden armor. To an onlooker he was a simple warrior in a red plumed helm with a golden shield strapped around his back. He held no weapons but he was still taller than most, and his controlled demeanor did more than hint at his martial prowess. He approached the tavern to his left, and walked up the flimsy wooden staircase. The doors were shut, and he found that they were indeed unlocked. He entered the tavern and saw the Headsman from last night manning the bar. “Greetings.” Acaeus shouted to get the old man’s attention. The Headsman looked up and smiled briefly. “Greetings milord. How can I be of service to yea?” He called out in response. Acaeus walked closer, taking note of the lack of patrons in the tavern. “Tell me of your Dragon problem.” Acaeus answered. “Ah well, the girl fled in the night. So the blacksmith’s boy volunteered to take her place. The Dragon came at dawn, and snatched the boy up. It resides in the mountain over yonder, Dark Mt. we call it, due to its particular dark demeanor.” The Headsman explained. His eyes were distant and told Acaeus of his shame, and he couldn’t help but wonder what the old man was thinking. “So there is a chance that the boy lives, seeing as the beast didn’t eat him up on the spot?” Acaeus asked. The old man shrugged his shoulders. “I’m an old man, who’s done more farming than fighting in life. It’s not for me to say.” He replied despondently. Acaeus nodded. “I’ll get the boy back, and rid you of this dragon.” He said turning around to leave. “It’s a Dragon milord, it’ll take an Army at the most to slay it. No mere man can best it!” The Headsman shouted. Acaeus stopped and glanced over his shoulder. “I am no mere man.” He simply replied before leaving the old man to gawk in wanderlust at Acaeus.

          Acaeus stepped out to see a crowd gathered around his steed. Jess was shouting at someone who was too close for comfort for Acaeus to handle, and he strutted over to the scene. “Yea ran away, and Michael had to pay the price for your cowardice!” Thomas yelled at his niece. Jess didn’t look at him, he wouldn’t let her say anything so she kept her gaze fixed on the horizon in front of her, holding back the flood of emotions attempting to overtake her. “Ignore me if yea want girl, but I promise you that there will be consequences for yer actions, I’ll see the blacksmith repaid for the loss of kin! And I’ll see it done, with yer body if need be!” He shouted grabbing her by the arm to pull her off. The crowd showed their support for Thomas by shouting a series of varied insults at the young girl. Jess tried to fight her Uncle off, but the crowd joined in by pulling her off. She fell to the ground face first, and Thomas grabbed her by the hair. Unbeknownst to Thomas the crowd parted in fear of Acaeus who walked up to him. Thomas turned too late and Acaeus abruptly kicked him square in the chest, sending him flying through the air. Thomas landed head first onto the ground and tried to get away, but Acaeus snatched him up by the face, lifting him off the ground with one arm. Thomas’s eyes bulged open in fear at the enraged warrior. “Hear this.” Acaeus began. “Hear this all of you.” He shouted to the crowd. “None of you shall touch the girl. Especially you.” He said to Thomas in violent whisper, who was trying to let out a scream, but Acaeus held him by the mouth, so it came out no more than a muffled cry. “She is my charge, no longer of your village. Abandon all designs on her, or face my wrath.” Acaeus said menacingly looking out into the crowd. Jess stared up at Acaeus and couldn’t help but smile. Acaeus then glared at Thomas, “Know to the end of your days, that a frail girl held more courage in her frail arms than you have ever had in your entire existence.” Acaeus spat before tossing Thomas to the ground. Acaeus turned to Jess, and reached his arm out to her. Jess took it, and Acaeus pulled her up to her feet. “Thank yea…” She muttered softly. Acaeus ignored her sentiment and lifted her onto the saddle before mounting it himself. “Wait! That’s me daughter!” Thomas yelled from the ground desperately. Acaeus turned the horse around towards the entrance of the village. “You abandoned that right when you were willing to sacrifice her for your own safety.” Acaeus replied. Jess hugged the warrior tightly before he urged the horse into a canter away from the stunned villagers, and away from the last of her kin.

          Acaeus kicked his steed in the flanks to call the horse to a gallop once they had cleared the village. Jess rested her head against Acaeus’s back beside the shield, taking in the slight muscular changes in his posture as they rode on. “I’m not frail!” She shouted at him. He let out a lively laugh, and continued to direct the horse as needed. He didn’t need to respond, Jess was simply happy that someone had risen to her defense. It was then she knew that this was the right path to take. Acaeus would never abandon her. 



© 2016 Shane


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

180 Views
Added on September 24, 2016
Last Updated on September 24, 2016


Author

Shane
Shane

Orange, TX



About
Pretty amateur, but I like to write. Hopefully everyone enjoys my writing XD more..

Writing
Day One Day One

A Chapter by Shane


Day Two-Failure Day Two-Failure

A Chapter by Shane