Damia

Damia

A Story by SheActsLikeSummer

"Can mommy read my story, daddy?"
I look down at her from across the yard. She stands at the edge of the pool in the shade of a large bush, curious eyes wandering. "She's busy, honey," I tell her, softness in my voice.
Damia lets her gaze settle on the sky, watching the clouds roll across the blue. "But she can make exceptions for me," she has a smile on her face, a smile that tells me she's wishing, "because I'm special, right?"
"Of course you are. You're very special," I say, making an act of peering over the high fence. "But mommy's across the street."
Her eyes grow fierce. "No." Her voice is raised and angry. "She's right there." Damia runs over to the large glass door and peers inside with her hands cupped against the sides of her face. "Why doesn't she want to read my story?" she asks, locking eyes with me, holding up a thin stack of paper.
"She does. She just can't," I whisper. Then, "I can read it if you like."
With a small shake of her head she retreats back into the shade, balancing on the edge of the pool.

"Are you sure? I'm very good at reading," I tell her hopefully.
Damia shakes her head again. "I need mommy to read it first."
I tilt my head to the side questioningly. "Why is that?" I ask.
"Because."
I close my eyes and think of something to say. "You can show it to her later," I suggest.
"No," Damia demands. "Now."
A gust of wind blows the papers from her hand. They spiral through the air and land delicately in the pool. Without a second thought she jumps in after them.
Water surrounds her tiny body and she struggles with the weight of her clothes to reach the surface. My feet take me to her side and I reach into the pool to grab her hand. Fingers tightening around her wrist, I pull her from the water. Damia hauls herself onto the ground on the side of the pool, soaked.
"Are you okay?" I ask, but my question isn't heard over her cry. "Get my story!" Dread fills her voice.
I run to the other side of the pool where the most of the papers had sailed in the wind. They are dripping and water logged. Ink runs down each page, the words unrecognizable. I lay them on the sun scorched bricks to dry and turn my attention to the paper that had gotten loose from it's crowd.
This one isn't as wet as the others. It had managed to get to avoid the wind's worst. Most of the words are smudged or running but there's a sentence at the end of the page that I can make out.
and this little girl's mommy loved her more than anything.

I collapse onto the ground, tears welling in my eyes. I watch as Damia makes her way towards me, leaving a trail of water on the ground.
"What's wrong, daddy?" she asks me.
Trying to wipe the tears away I smile a tired smile. "Nothing," I say.
Damia shakes her head. "Don't lie to me. I can tell when you do."
Then she sits on my lap, wetting my clothes but I don't care. I wrap my arms around her and lay my forehead on her shoulder.
"Without her, Damia, I wouldn't have you," I whisper in her ear.

© 2012 SheActsLikeSummer


Author's Note

SheActsLikeSummer
I know that I'm not great at this like this, that someone else could have done it much better than I, but this is what I have for you and I hope you enjoy it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hello,
I'm a staff editor at Ebullience Literary Jounral a student run journal here at the University of Mary Washington.
We would love to have you submit a piece for consideration for our Spring 2013 online publication.
Our theme is Ebullience
■Zestful enthusiasm
■The quality of lively or enthusiastic expression of thoughts or feelings
■High spirits; exhilaration; exuberance.
■A boiling over; overflow.
Our deadline is April 4th
If you would like to submit please consider going to our website
http://ebullience.umwblogs.org/mission-statement/

Posted 11 Years Ago


So true. Superb ending, leaving the emotions hanging. Hope her Mom got the message.

Posted 11 Years Ago


SheActsLikeSummer

11 Years Ago

*it. :P
Distant horizons

11 Years Ago

:-)
thats okay. i just assumed you were drunk :-)

ps.... only joking :-)
SheActsLikeSummer

11 Years Ago

he he.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 5, 2012
Last Updated on October 6, 2012
Tags: girl, father, story, paper, mommy

Author

SheActsLikeSummer
SheActsLikeSummer

Canada



About
I wish there was a single moment in my life that summed up who I am. Just a short snippet of time that I could copy and paste here so I didn't have to rack my mind for something to say. But I kind of .. more..

Writing