School of Dragons Part 3

School of Dragons Part 3

A Story by Caity
"

this the third and final part to the story, I promise it isn't as long.

"

I flew for days, when I heard the rumbling. I looked at where the noise was coming from, it was Razor, growling at a boat in the water. We decided to investigate. There was no one on deck, so we landed.

            “Don’t land guys. Razor and I got this.” I told my other dragons, "The boat won't hold us all, go and wait on the rock over there." I told them. We heard commotion below deck, and the door flew open, with a bang. Razor jumped from beneath me and growled. They all held weapons and pointed them at Razor.

            “Who are you?” the leader asked. But then they all looked closer at the mask. They all gasped and lowered their weapons, slightly. “Put them down men. It’s DarkNight. What brings you to our ship?” He asked me. I had a closer look at the leader, and gasped.

            “Dad?” I whispered to myself. Luckily he didn’t hear me. “I’m just here for my dragon to rest his wings. We have been flying for days, and haven’t found land anywhere close by. We are all tired.” I said pointing out that dragons where on top of the rocks nearby, my dragons.

            “We can show you to our island. If you promise, your dragons won’t cause trouble. Our people are very peaceful at the moment, we don’t need more trouble from dragons.” The leader said.

            “More trouble?” I wondered.

            “The dragons have been raiding our village, stealing our food, and killing some of our people.” One of the men said angrily.

            “You know, I can help, with your dragon problem.” I said. If this was my father, I want to help. Besides, that’s what the ‘Dragon-Alpha’ does, he helps people with dragon problems, and brings peace to the world, even if I have to do it with force. They thought it over.

            “Sure, we will appreciate your help.” The leader said. He then turned to his men and they made a circle. “If he can get rid of these dragons, then we can use him to help Berk. But if he isn’t who he claims to be, we get rid of him.”  One of the men said, but then they noticed the Smothering Smokebreath above them. Smokey flew back to my shoulders.

            “You plan on helping Berk and getting rid of me?” I asked getting angry. “Just to let you know, Berk is already safe. And no one can get rid of me. There’s a reason why I’m called the ‘Dragon-Alpha’.” I said to them getting angrier. “I can understand dragons. Now answer me this one question; what is your name?” I said pointing at the leader.

            “My name is Roy, son of Raymond the devoted.” He said. I knew it, DAD!

            “Well then. This changes things. Do you remember your son?” I asked. Of course he remembered, but I had to be sure.

            “Of course. Zack. I haven’t seen him in about six years. Do you know him?” he asked.

            “Know ‘im? That’s an understatement.” I said as I took off my mask. He gasped at first, but then he didn’t quite believe I was him. But I showed him the mark I’ve had since birth. It was on my right side neck. He gasped louder and was shocked.

            “Zack? Is it really you? On a dragon? I can’t believe it. How? How is it possible?” he asked trying to get past the fact that his son was on the back of a dragon, and associated with dragons.

            “It’s a long story. But my question is, how did you survive? Everyone thinks you are dead, everybody thinks you were eaten by dragons? How did you get here? My main question is actually, why didn’t you come back?” I said getting depressed. My father alive, who would of thought it? But why didn’t he come back to me, to mum? I had to know.

            “It’s a long story, but I will be happy to tell you on the island.” He said.

            “I will be happy to hear, I can still help with your dragon problem.” I said, getting excited. But I never moved off of Razor. This might be my dad, but he still hunts dragons, I couldn’t really trust him yet.

 

Death helped with the travel back home, making it faster. When we arrived, the greeting my father got, was like a chief returning home. But they stared at me and my dragons. I had my mask back on, had to be cautious, there could be some enemies here. I walked up to dad and whispered,

            “I’ll meet you later, just going to find a place for my dragons to sleep away from town. Don’t want trouble.” He nodded and I mounted Razor. Razor roared to my dragons and we took off.

 

I found a nice spot, just out of town, in the forest. It was a beautiful clearing. My dragons got comfortable and started resting. I leaned on Razor, and got some rest myself. About 30 minutes later, Razor heard rustling in the bush, he turned his head to me.

            “I hear it.” I said with my eyes close, I put my mask on, but stayed in my spot. Razor growled. The bushes were pushed aside, and a person stepped through.

            “Wow, you sure picked a hard spot to get to.” He said. Razor stopped growling and curled his head back around me. Dad came and stood in front of me.

            “Hey, I didn’t know you were coming. I picked it this way, so some of your villagers wouldn’t come looking for me, or stumble upon my hideout.” I said as I sat up. I got to my feet and took my mask off. Viper came up and sniffed dad. I could feel him tense.

            “Ah, what’s it doing?” he asked confused and a little scared.

            She is just smelling you. Viper wants to make sure you won’t be a threat to her boys.” I said, emphasising the ‘she’. “She’s just getting to know you.” I said trying to calm him down. I walked up to him and put my hand out to Viper. She nuzzled up to my palm and I rubbed her head. “See, you get to be friends with them, and you make a bond for life. If you bond with the right dragon, it’s like meeting the half of you that’s been missing since birth. We just haven’t noticed we were missing half of us, until we find it. Like me and Razor, when I found him as an egg, he was the only one of his kind. We’ve been looking for more Sand Wraiths, but no luck, yet. You remember Hiccup?” I asked him.

            “Hiccup, son of Stoick the Vast. Yeah, he always messed things up. Why?” he asked.

            “Well, get this, he actually shot down a Night fury.”

            “What!? Those things are impossible to catch. Especially for him.”

            “Yeah, but he did it. No one believed he did. But he went out to find it on his own. He found it. But he let it go.”

            “What!? Those things are impossible to catch, so why let it go? He could’ve saved the village, and been a hero.”

            “Well that’s the point. Stoick put him in dragon training. He started that next morning. Stoick and the men went to try at the nest again. Hiccup failed at his training lesson, and almost got killed by a Gronkle. Gobber told him that dragons always go for the kill. So Hiccup went back the spot where the Night fury was, and followed the path the Night fury took. He found the Night fury in a small canyon, trying to fly away, but it couldn’t fly. The dragon was missing half its tail fin. Hiccup went down there with a fish. He tried to give the fish to the dragon but it growled at him. Hiccup tossed away his knife, and held out the fish. The dragon crept closer, but when it opened his mouth, he had no teeth, ‘Toothless? I could’ve sworn you had…Teeth.’ Hiccup said as the dragon pulled out its teeth and ate the fish. From then on the dragon was called Toothless. Toothless regurgitated half the fish, and made Hiccup swallow a bite.” I said but then, “Err.” We said as Razor regurgitated some fish for me. “Ah, no thanks, Razor.” I said as he ate it again.

            “Why do they do that?” dad asked.

            “They do that to test if you are one of them. You got to gain their trust, just like Hiccup did by eating a piece of the fish. Hiccup spent the next couple days studying Toothless and using the things he learnt in training. He went from being Hiccup, to placing second in Dragon Training. Even with him getting skills from a dragon, he couldn’t outrank me. He learnt dragons are scared of eels, they love dragon nip, and if you scratch them under the chin, like this.” I said getting up and scratching Venom, he then dropped dead.

            “What happened?” dad asked, now a little worried.

            “Don’t worry, he will wake up in a few minutes. Anyway, Hiccup then put those techniques into training, he also discovered that they love chasing light.” I then grabbed a medallion from my saddle bag and used the sun to make a dot of light on the ground, Smokey chased it around like crazy. I then hid the light and he looked at the medallion. “No, no, no.” I said as Smokey jumped on me trying to get the medallion. “Smokey, get off, you’re not having it.” I said, Smokey hopped off and I put it into the bag. “Dragons.” I said with sarcasm in my voice. “We were just having fun.” I said as I sat down leaning on Razor. I gestured for dad to join me, he hesitated at first, but finally sat down. I sat at Razor’s head, he sat near the backside. “One day, when Stoick got back, he was told the news, Hiccup was master in Dragon training, second place going into first. Then Stoick gave Hiccup a helmet made out of Hiccup's mother's breastplate. Hiccup wore it to the next training. Astrid was viciously mad, because she was third place. ‘This one is mine, got that.’ She said to Hiccup. We were versing a Gronkle for our second last exam. In the end, Hiccup knocked out the Gronkle with the chin scratchy thing. He tried to leave but he was chosen to kill the dragon in the final exam. Hiccup had already flown Toothless once or twice, he said that they were leaving that afternoon to Toothless, but then Astrid was sitting on a rock sharpening her axe. She was curious, ‘No one gets as good as you, especially you, start talking are you training with someone.’ She said to Hiccup, hiccup made up the excuse he was making outfits, but she noticed Toothless sleeping, she pinned Hiccup to the ground and said to keep quiet. Toothless pounced up to them growling at Astrid. Hiccup intervened and pushed Astrid’s axe away, and calmed Toothless down. ‘You just scared him.’ He said to her. ‘I scared him. Who is him?’ Astrid asked, hiccup introduced the two, and she ran off to tell the village. Hiccup flew Toothless, picked up Astrid and dumped her on top of a tree before landing on it.” I told my father the story about how they discovered the Red Death. How Hiccup’s father disowned him, and hiccup saved the village by killing the Red Death. “Stoick forgave Hiccup. He was pretty good after that. He was a proud, brave man.” I said.

            “Was? What happened?” dad asked.

            “He died. About a week ago, actually.”

            “How? Who? How did Stoick the Vast get killed, and by who?” dad asked. I told him about the resent events. About Stoick dying, the new alpha. Everything.

After we finished, dad went back to the village, and I caught some shut eye. When Venom woke up I apologised and we all caught some shut eye.

 

The morning came faster than I thought, I made my way to the village with Razor, and I had my mask on and left my other dragons in the clearing. Smokey came to, hidden in the saddle bag, in case we need to call for the dragons, without the whistle. I made my way to the hall of the village. I walked in with Razor, and dad was waiting for me with some other men.

            “So, you want to meet the dragons we have?” he asked.

            “Sure.” I said. We made our way to the dragon arena. They had some dragons trapped there. I walked inside, alone. But Razor waited at the door, in case he needed to jump in. They opened the first door. It revealed a Deadly Nadder. I walked up slowly, holding out my hand.

            “Hey, good girl. You look beautiful today.” I said soothing her as I approached. She held her tail out and put up her spikes. I patted the spikes down gently, then held out a piece of chicken I had in my satchel. She then trusted me. I patted her head, and said, “So, who wants a Deadly Nadder?” A young girl put up her hand. I gestured with my hand for her to come in. She was about 15. I backed up and said, “Stretch out your hand, and do what you saw me do. If something happens I will be right here.” I said. She stretched out her hand and trained the Nadder.

 

I helped all the village train dragons. When night came, dragons came for a raid. I mounted Razor and told everyone to stay back, Smokey went and summoned my other dragons. Razor told them all to stop. The dragons doing the raids said,

            “We can’t, the queen commands us.”

            “Where is your queen?” I asked the dragons. They immediately stopped the raids and took us to their queen. It was like the Red Death, only bigger and meaner. I defeated the queen, the same way Hiccup did. But this time I didn’t lose a limb or get hit by its tail. The dragons returned to the village with me, and were trained. Dad decided to come back to Berk with me. He rode his new companion, Flamethrower. Flamethrower is a monstrous Nightmare. Actually, in the village, a man and his wife and two kids share a Snaptrapper, they each ride on a head, and have to work together to fly correct.

            “It’s a long flight, so pack some extra food and water.” I told my father as we packed up for the flight back to Berk.

 

We came within the waters of Berk. We saw the island, and my dad was shocked. The way it changed, Dragons all over the place. Then we heard a roar behind us, and a black mass dived in front of us, then pulled up and hovered in front of us.

            “Hey, I thought you were leaving?” The man said behind the mask.

            “I was, but I found someone with importance to me, Hiccup.” I said as Hiccup took off the mask.

            “This is Hiccup. The last time I saw you, you were running from a Monstrous Nightmare, during a dragon raid six years ago.” The man behind me said.

            “Hiccup, you remember my father?” I said gesturing to dad.

            “Yeah, a little. How you been? Wait weren't you dead?” Hiccup asked.

            "Yeah, long story." Dad said. Then another purple-black mass with black markings flew straight up at me from behind and ripped me off of Razor with her claws wrapped around my arms.

            “Ahhhh!” I shouted before I knew who it was. She let me go and did a loop and I landed on her back.

            “I love you too girl.” I said to Electra. She put her head up and licked my hand that I put out. We went back to the others and hovered with them. “Dad, this is Electra, I left her here to watch Berk.” I said, hopping onto Razor from Electra.

 

We went down to Berk and landed in the main square. Everyone came and wondered who the new person was with me.

            “So, where’s your mother?” dad asked.

            “I don’t talk about it.” I said before taking off to the forest. He asked a question that should never be asked.

            “Did I say something? What happened?” he asked.

            “You kind of asked a question that should never be asked. His mum, your wife, was killed about a year-two years ago.” Hiccup said

I flew into the canyon, and landed on Razor. All my dragons landed behind us. I dismounted and walked over to the water hole. I took off my mask and wet my face. I put my mask back on and sat down leaning into Razor’s ribs.

            “We have to go back, my father has just returned home. I got to be there for him. But I can’t. He will want to know what happened and I can’t tell him.” I said to Razor, Smokey came out and curled up beside me. Death, Viper, Venom and Electra curled up around us.

            “Maybe I don’t need to know.” We heard, as a Monstrous Nightmare landed in front of us with a rider. Followed by a black mass. A Night fury and a rider. Hiccup, Toothless, Flamethrower and dad.

            “Hey look, I know what it is like to lose a parent. I lost my mother when I was a babe. Found her in the future, just to lose my father about a day later. You kind of have the same story, lost your father when you were about 13-14. Lost your mother when you were about 17, and found your father when you are about 20. You and me, aren’t that different.” Hiccup said, before he realised we were staring at him. “I’ll just leave you two alone.” Hiccup said as he flew off with Toothless.

            “So, who else knows who you really are?” Dad asked as I took off my mask.

            “Just, Hiccup, Astrid, Snotlout, Fishlegs, Ruffnut and Tuffnut, Gobber and Valka.” I said staying on the floor. “And their dragons. Now, do you want to sleep in town for the night, or camp out here?” I asked. “But I am going for our ALONE night flight.” I said, emphasising the ALONE part. Me and my dragons, fly solo. We don’t do to well with others.

            “I’ll sort myself out. Thanks. If it is not too much to ask, what happened?” Dad asked being cautious.

            “Abouuuutttt?” I asked.

            “You know, about her?” Dad asked, still being cautious.

            “It’s simple, she was kidnapped by someone who was trying to get to me, they injured her, she didn’t make it, and I lost my leg. Simple, now I’m going.” I said getting up, and putting my mask back on. I mounted Razor, and we flew into the night sky. We flew through the clouds out towards, Dragon Island. I was determined to be alone with my dragons for more than five minutes.

I was flying towards the Island, but then we saw a black mass fly through the clouds as well. And it wasn’t alone. A Stormcutter was with it. I knew who they were. Toothless, Hiccup, Cloudjumper and Valka. I stopped and hovered for a minute, my dragons went to their, ‘position’. Death was hiding in a rock pillar near us. Viper and Venom was in rock pillars around us. And Electra was hiding in the clouds, while Smokey was in the bag. I signalled for Electra to continue to the island. She went to the Island, while we hovered there. Toothless and Cloudjumper hovered in front of us.

            “I thought you would be with your father.” Hiccup said.

            “His father came back?” Valka asked.

            “Yeah, while you were on your flight.” Hiccup answered her. “So why aren’t you with your father?” Hiccup asked.

            “He’s setting up camp, I just needed some fresh air.” I said trying to get rid of their curiosity.

            “You know, you don’t have to camp in the forest, you can stay at one of the houses.” Hiccup suggested.

            “No, we’re good.” I said. “Anyway, don’t let me interrupt your flight. We need to get going, before dad expects us back.” I said and we took off.

            “Hey mum, does he look like he is heading to Dragon Island?” Hiccup wondered.

            “Maybe, maybe he is just flying in that direction and then coming back. You can’t always suspect people to be up to something. But just in case.” She said and they took off into the clouds after me.

Smokey, popped his head out of the back and then jumped onto my shoulders. ‘They are following us.’ He said in Dragonese.

            “I know.” I whispered back to him. I patted Razor on the neck, and he did a sharp ascend into the sky. We went past them further into the sky, then did a spiral, stopped and fell backwards. We fell for a bit, before spiralling and straightening out, heading back to Berk. Smokey fell off my shoulders on the spiral upwards and headed towards Dragon Island. I made it look like he went back in my saddle bag.

 

After a few tricks, I headed back to Berk for a bit. When I was sure they weren’t following anymore. We made a quick turn around and headed towards Dragon Island, but not in a straight line, but in ups and downs and side to sides. We landed on the shores of the island, and dismounted. Electra and Smokey came from the shadows. Death, Viper and Venom joined us.

            “Did you look around?” I asked Electra. She nodded and led the way to something that she found. We flew into the tunnel that leads into the volcano. We followed Electra into the tunnel, and found evidence that there used to be a big dragon living her. Signs of the Red Death. We went down the foggy volcano, to the bottom. We found a bunch of unhatched, huge eggs.

            “Oh, no!” I said. As we landed, and dismounted. I walked through the few eggs. “When these hatch, legend says, that they will fight each other ‘till the death. Then the survivor will become a queen and will control other dragons. This is not good. We need to make sure that if these dragons hatch, either they fight and I train the survivor, or we make sure these things never hatch. Normally the runt never wins, but the runt is the easiest to train, and the one that is most caring.” I looked to Razor and my other dragons, they kind of said, ‘We wait for them to hatch. We can train the runt, and trap the rest. Until we find out what to do with them.’ Razor suggested.

            “I agree with you. Let’s wait.” I said as I got comfortable with Razor. There was only four eggs. But as I was thinking about the eggs and my dad getting back, I looked across the cave and saw giant bone, with some meat still attached. It looks like the some dragon has died and been picked at by some wild dragons.

Hiccup and Valka landed near Roy’s camp.

            “I see you are all set up.” Hiccup said, walking up to him.

            “Yeah, almost done with this. Just give me a sec.” he said not turning around to them.

            “So, you are DarkNight’s father, or should I say Zack’s dad?” Valka said to him. Roy stood up and turned around.

            “And you would be Valka. I haven’t seen you since, well, since you were taken.” Roy said.

            “Hey, I thought Zack would have beat us here? Are you expecting him back tonight?” Hiccup asked, letting his curiosity getting to him.

            “Um, not really. I hoped to have some time with him, but I think he is still trying to get his head around all this.” Roy said. “Why?” he asked.

            “It’s just we saw him earlier, but he looked like he was heading to Dragon Island, he said you were expecting him. I think he was trying to lead us on a false trail.” Hiccup asked.

            “Well, I’m not expecting him. But if I have learnt anything over the couple of days flying with him, if he is heading to Dragon Island, it’s important. Let’s check it out.” Roy said, mounting Flamethrower. They took off heading for Dragon Island.

            “Wait, just need to tell Gobber something. You’s go on ahead, I’ll catch up.” Hiccup said going to the forge. He told Gobber to take care of the village that he needed to deal with something.

I waited for sleep to take me. When I woke up, it was morning, and the eggs were rattling around. Must be time to hatch. Razor then popped up with his ears up high, he heard something, and then I heard it to. Someone was in the volcano, shouting my name. ‘If I stay quiet we might trick ‘em into thinking we left.’ I thought. I signalled for my dragons to stay quiet and hidden.

            “He has to be here somewhere.” I heard someone say, it sounded like Hiccup.

            “Let’s look at the perches first. Then we will think of other things.” Someone else said, it sounded like Valka.

            “Let’s go.” The third voice sounded like dad. ‘Why would he be here? Unless Hiccup went to him and figured through my tricks. It doesn’t matter, not unless, oh wait, the eggs, they are about to hatch, I need to lure Hiccup away, lose him and come back.’ I thought. I mounted Razor and whispered to him,

            “Razor, we need to lure Hiccup and the others away.” I then motioned for my other dragons to stay here and protect the eggs. They were about an hour from hatching. So I had an hour to lure them away, lose them and get back. Razor followed the underground path that led to the entrance. We slipped out and ‘accidently’ got spotted by dad.

            “Down here!” dad shouted to Hiccup and Valka. Razor flew as fast as he could and bolt off. They gave chase, Toothless was able to just keep up, but the others were easy to lose. We flew into the clouds and lured Hiccup far away from Dragon Island. Heading for Berk. I lost them in the forest of Berk and headed for the clouds. Dad and Val caught up to Hiccup.

            “I lost him in the forest. Razor has gotten faster, since the last time we raced.” Hiccup said to them. He told them to look around that I couldn’t have gotten far. When actually I was back at the entrance of Dragon Island. We flew back down, and the eggs were just about to hatch. The first one was a green colour. The second one was a black-blue-purple colour. The third one was black-brown-red colour. The last one was the smallest of them all, he was a red-orange colour. They were about the size of Razor, and they were hatchlings, I wondered if they were going to be the size of their mother when they grew up.

First egg Second egg Third egg Last egg

The legend said that they started the fight to the death when they are about three months old. I walked up to the fourth one, it was obviously the runt. I put out my hand, and he rubbed his nose on my hand. I fed him a fish, and then heard something. Dragons, landing. Hiccup was back, with Val and dad. I mounted Razor and we flew straight up through the middle of the volcano and landed on the nearest perch.

            “What are you doing here?” I asked them.

            “Well, what are you doing here? This place is only habited to a few wild dragons. Otherwise there is nothing here. So what is so important here that you had to lie, and trick us, then lure us away?” Hiccup said.

            “There’s not nothing here.” I said. I then whistled and all my dragons came up. Except my new dragon. He couldn’t fly yet.

            “I don’t get it. What is here?” Dad asked.

            “Get him.” I told Electra and Death. They went down and came back up with a baby in Electra’s claws and on Death’s back. They placed him beside me.

            “What is that? I’ve never seen anything like it.” Hiccup said.

            “Really? Because you killed their mother.” I said.

            “What? Their? You mean their mother was the Red Death?!” Hiccup said.

            “Yep, it turns out she had a few eggs before she died. And legend states, that when they reach three months old, they will fight each other to the death, until one is left. That survivor will be named the new queen of a nest. But the runt always is the first to go. So I just saved this one’s life. After all, he trusts me and thinks I’m its mother. The others, are down there.” I said pointing below. “They can’t be trained. The runt is easier to train then the others, because they are the fighters, the runt is not.” I said, I flew off on Razor, and Death and Electra carried our new friend. Viper and Venom followed. We landed on a close by Island that wasn’t Berk, or the School. It was a deserted Island, the only inhabitants were a few wild dragons.

Hiccup, dad and Val went to check out the other dragons. They left the dragons to grow up, and would be back to check progress. They didn’t want another Red Death incident.

It has been about three months since I discovered the Sweet Death. He wasn’t a Red Death, he was Sweet Deaths. He was the same as Red Deaths, but the runt of every litter became a Sweet Death. But he is the first of his kind. Runts never survive the fights. The others would become Red Deaths. The runt, if it survives, would become a Sweet Death, it was about half the size of a Red Death at full growth. I named him Red, after his mother, Red Death, and his red markings.

 

Red is now able to glide, but can’t fly just yet. I train Red every day, like I trained all my dragons when they were young. Hiccup has been looking for me, but never finds me. He sometimes brings the gang to find me. Sometimes my father comes alone to this island and talks to himself, or his dragon about me, or wanting to find me. I do sometimes think about going and talking to him, but I reconsider. I visit Dragon Island every now and then, and check up on the survivor. I went back one month, leaving Death and Red on the Island, and found that the first dragon to hatch had killed the other two. I guess she was going to become a queen. With the help of Razor we got her to trust me. So every now and then we bring her food and train her too. We don’t won’t a recaps of the Red Death incident. Or the other queen incident that I took alone.

Another six months passed, Red is now half grown, but can fly. On his own and with me. I try to keep him far from Dragon Island, so that he doesn’t fight with his sister. I left him on the Island with Death again, as I went to check on Ivy. That was the name of the green Red Death that was the first one to hatch, and the survivor. Red and Death knew the drill, I would take the other dragons for a flight, and he would stay with Death. Death and Red would get extra fish for staying put, and all the others would get extra fish for their flying drills. Red didn’t know that it was actually a visit to his sister.

 

We landed at the entrance, and flew into Ivy. But when we got there she was gone.

            “Oh, no.” I said and we raced as fast as we could go back to our island. “She must have found out that her brother survived.” I said. When we got to the Island, Death and Red was holding off an angry half grown Red Death. What I didn’t realise was that Hiccup was hiding in that volcano, and followed me here. I flew in between Ivy, Death and Red. I put my hands up to signal to stop. They stopped for a minute before Ivy, breathed fire at Red. A fully grown Sweet Death is half the size of a fully grown Red Death. And they were both half grown. Red dodged the fire, I made the impossible decision, Ivy was too dangerous, and I had to do something.

I saw Hiccup coming, and I flew to him.

            “What are you doing here?” I asked him as I swung around to join him flying to the fight.

            “I was following you. I went to check on the dragon, and I heard someone coming, I saw it was you and decided to follow.” Hiccup responded.

            “Well, cool you are here, but Ivy is trying to kill my dragons.” I said. I then flew off to help Red.

            “Ivy? He must mean the Red Death.” Hiccup told Toothless. “Come on bud, let’s see what you got.” Hiccup told Toothless, as they sped towards Ivy. I had flown up into the sky for an aerial attack. I dived down and ended up diving beside Toothless. We dived down and shot Ivy onto her side, as we pulled up and landed beside Red, and my other dragons.

            “Are you guys ok?” I asked them, as I dismounted. Razor started growling and I knew Ivy had gotten back up. She looked at me like I had betrayed her. When actually, she betrayed me, by trying to kill my dragons. She looked at how I patted Red and Death. Then looked at Toothless and Hiccup. She looked closer at Toothless, Toothless had split his spines and they were glowing blue. Toothless roared at Ivy, and Ivy bowed, hesitantly. She then spread her wings and took to the skies. It looked like she was heading to Dragon Island. I turned to Red, and asked if he was okay. He rubbed up to my hand and then I turned to Hiccup.

            “So, what’re you going to do now?” I asked Hiccup.

            “I don’t’ know.” I said, a bit disappointed that Hiccup found me.

            “Are you going to come back? I mean you just found your dad, you should be spending the times with him. When I found mum, I put my chief duties aside ‘till after I spent some time with mum.” He said. I turned away, and thought through what I was going to do. Razor came up and hugged me. I patted his head, and mounted him.

            “I don’t know what I am going to do, but I know this, I can’t stay. I have things to do before I can spend time with family. And if I stay, what I fear to happen, will happen.” I said. Before I was about to leave, Hiccup said.

            “And what do you fear?”

            “That I will stay forever.” I simply said, and we took off. “Besides, I have a mission of my own to complete first.” I yelled back to him. All my dragons followed.

            “Wait!” Hiccup yelled after me. I didn’t turn around, and he didn’t follow me. I kept going, and wouldn’t turn around, I don’t care if he told dad that he found me. I was not returning, not yet anyway.

(Roy’s POV)

Hiccup landed near my tent, while I was feeding Flamethrower, and catching fish for myself.

            “Hey, what’re you doing here?” I asked as he dismounted. He had a look on his face that said, ‘I want to tell you something, but I don’t know how to word it.’

            “What is it Hiccup?” I asked. He looked up at me, and I stood, wheeling in my line, and we sat on a log together.

            “I found him.” He said simply. I turned and looked at the floor, wondering. “I found him, and I just let him go.” Hiccup continued.

            “Where? Where did you find him? I’ve been looking everywhere and couldn’t find him, how did you?” I asked. He told me about the fight with the babies, the sweet death, and how Zack left with his dragons, and his last words being, ‘Zack is no more. Before I was Zack hiding behind the mask of DarkNight, but now, Zack no longer exists. Now I am DarkNight.’

            “After he flew off of the Island, I flew up to him, and he said that. He took off as fast as he could, I couldn’t keep up.” Hiccup said. “I am sorry. I mean, I know it is hard to lose a dad, but for a dad to lose his son. That’s worse.” Hiccup said in sympathy. When Hiccup looked up, he saw that I wasn’t there anymore, I was flying off in the sky.

(DarkNight’s POV)

I don’t know why I said that. But I meant it. I am Zack no more, now I am DarkNight all the way. I rode Razor far away from Berk, with my other dragons following. I don’t intend on coming back to Berk, but with my luck, I’ll come back. Eventually.

(Roy’s POV)

I was riding away, because I was determined to find my son. With his speed, compared to mine, there is no way I will catch up. Hiccup said that he was heading west. So that’s where I am going. As far west as possible, I will find him. I am not losing him a second time. We flew as fast as Flamethrower could go. I didn’t know how long he could go at this speed, but he felt my determination, and he was trying to catch up to Razor, even though he knew he couldn’t. But Razor wouldn’t be going very fast, he has a teenaged Sweet Death with him, and teenagers can only fly so fast, and so far. They would need to stop every now and then. That’s when I would start to catch up. Sure we would both need to sleep, it just means that we would be going to sleep late, and waking up early. I would not lose my son.

 

We had a very late night, last night. And a very early start this morning. But we were both determined, I would not lose my son. I kept repeating those words in my head, ‘I’m not losing my son. I’m not losing my son. I’m no…’ we flew as fast as Flamethrower could go. But as we passed over some ice-covered water, I noticed a piece of the ice was broken. And there was one thing floating in the water. Flamethrower did a turn and we picked up the item. I froze, looked shocked, and scared. It was his helmet. His mask. I put the mask down to Flamethrower.

            “Find him, Flamethrower.” I said, as he sniffed it, roared and we flew off. We travelled for a while, but then we come into eyesight of a gigantic ice mountain. I had no idea what it was, but Flamethrower smelt Zack, and we felt his presence within the mountain. We found a tunnel that led inside.

Flamethrower flew into the tunnel and we landed in the chamber. Flamethrower sniffed around, and led me to an even bigger chamber. Some of the roof was blown off, and it looked like no one was home. But then I saw it, movement down below, near the waterfall. I hid and told Flamethrower to get down. We were out of sight by anyone below us. But when I had a closer look at the figure down below, I was taken back. A boy lying on his back, and a dragon curled around him. Other dragons were pacing back and forth around the boy.

 

I snuck to the left, where I saw a ramp-type thing that led down to them. As I was sneaking closer, someone came from the right down near him. I couldn’t tell who she was, but I knew that she had a lot of dragons with her, enough to make a small army of dragons. She must have attacked him or something. I stayed in the bushes and kept out of sight. She walked up to the dragon wrapped around the boy that I now recognise as Razor. He growled at first, but then he stopped and the girl approached the boy with a cup of something. She poured it down his throat and he started waking up. He drank what was in the cup, then got up slowly. I then overheard some things they were saying.

            “Thanks. But who are you?” Zack asked.

            “You know, you would’ve died had I not found you.” She said simply.

            “I know. But before we keep talking, you can come out, dad.” Zack said as I stepped out of the bushes.

            “How did you know I was there?” I asked.

            “It wasn’t hard. I saw Flamethrower up there, plus Smokey saw you fly into the mountain. He told me just a few seconds ago.” He said as Smokey flew to his shoulder. “So my only question is, what are you doing here?” he asked.

            “Looking for you.” I said simply. He didn’t look surprised.

            “I thought I said I wasn’t coming back, so just go home dad. Tell Hiccup I said bye.” He said as he walked away with the girl. He was kind of limping. I wondered why.

(Zack’s POV)

I was surprised to see my dad, but I didn’t want him here. I was happy to see he would come after me all this way, but I didn’t want him to see me like this.

(Flashback)

I was flying over the ice-covered water, when the fog came from nowhere. Razor started growling, I looked around, trying to see what he was growling at. I saw nothing, but then a dragon roar came from behind us. We turned and hovered, looking at the direction of the noise. I then noticed my dragons missing.

            “Death! Red! Viper! Venom! Electra!” I shouted. Then a screech-like cry sounded from the same direction. We flew towards the sound, it sounded like Red was crying in pain. When we reached the sound source, there was a battle going off with my dragons and a small army of dragons. We raced in to save my dragons, but I was grabbed off of Razor and dropped into the freezing ocean.

            “RAZORRR!” I yelled as I fell. I landed in the ocean, and swam to the surface. I popped my head out of the water, I then felt a very sharp pain in my right leg. I looked down and noticed my right leg was broken from the ice, I couldn’t move it. But when I looked up again, I saw some of my dragons fall, then being carried away, all knocked out. I looked for Razor and saw him, fighting off a very large dragon. He was scratched on the head and he fell, but a dragon grabbed him and took off. I was struggling to stay afloat, when one of the dragons saw me and rushed towards me. I tried to swim away, but before it reached me, another dragon with a rider came and fought the dragon off. The rider’s small army of dragons fought back against the dragons that attacked me. One of the dragons that was knocked out of the sky fell and threatened to land on me. I tried to swim away, but it is hard to swim with one broken leg and the other being part bone and part prosthetic. I dived trying to avoid it, but the dragon crashed into the water and one of its claws got caught on my suit. It dragged me to the bottom. But before I went out, I saw another dragon and rider dive in and grab me. When they pulled me out of the water, I went out. I lost my mask in the struggle under water. I woke up here a few days ago but has been zoning in and out, but I have never been able to walk on my right leg. I was getting better every day.

(End Flashback)

I limped up onto Razor and he walked me away, felling my determination to get away from my dad. He shouldn’t be here, I don’t want him to see me like this. Razor wouldn’t let dad see the scar on his face, right through his left eye.

 

We went into a chamber and I was getting ready to fly.

            “You shouldn’t go flying. You are in no condition to fly.” The girl said.

            “I know. But I can’t stay. I have to leave. I have got to get somewhere.” I said to her.

            “If you are leaving, you might want this. To be who you want, your gonna need it.” A voice from the entrance said. I turned and saw my dad holding my mask. Razor walked over to him and I took the mask and put it on. I noticed that dad saw the scar on Razor.

            “What happened to you? What happened to Razor’s eye?” dad asked. I decided not to tell him. Razor walked to the opening in the other side of the chamber.

            “I don’t like to talk about it. Bye dad.” I said as Razor took off, my dragons came out of nowhere and followed.

We flew for days, my dragons and I were still pretty weak from that attack. But we weren’t going to let that get to us. I have never told anyone, but when I was DarkNight before, and no one knew who I was, I was actually on a mission. But then the incident happened with the Bewilderbeast, and when that was over, I was heading back to complete my mission, but I found my dad. So many set-backs. I did end up completing it, but now they know who I am and enemies are arising, I have, now, so many enemies, including the one I will never beat, TIME. But there is one that is absolutely certain, I am going to defeat every one of my enemies, and nothing and no one is going to stand in my way, NOTHING!

After even more days of flying, we came towards the massive island, known not to any living creature, except me, my dragons, and my most trusted ally. We flew into the giant Volcano in the middle of the island.

Red was a little scared at first, but he trusted me and followed. We landed on the bottom of the volcano, and looked around. We saw nothing, but knew he was here.

            “Come out already! I’m sick of waiting!” I yelled out to him. We then saw someone come out of the shadows with a barely visible dragon. The dragon came and tackled me to the ground, and started trying to lick through my mask.

            “Have you unites the lock and key?” he asked.

            “Of course. I wouldn’t be here if I hadn’t. I would be trying to do it with the help of my father.” I said sarcastically.

 

The mission I was on, was to make sure that Hiccup met with his mother, and made it look like he stumbled upon her. I was coming back here, before I ran into my dad, because I had finished my job with Hiccup and Valka, and I decided to hand in my mask, when I showed Hiccup who I was, I decided to become Zack again. But then I found my dad, I would like to sit down and be father and son, but I realised, I can never be Zack again. DarkNight is a part of me now, I am DarkNight, not Zack. I was flying over Dragon Island when I was bring my father back to Berk and heard some noises and saw dragons acting weirdly, and made a mission for when I got time, check out Dragon Island and find out what the noise is and what is making the dragons act so weird. That was kind of a success.

            “Your father? I thought you said he was dead?” he asked.

            “He was. Until a few months ago. I was on my way here when I found him.” I said walking away, to the hidden chamber in the volcano.

            “So some set-backs?” he asked following.

            “Yeah, with an advantage. I got a new dragon.” I said gesturing to Red.

            “A Sweet Death. The first of its kind in centuries. I’ve only read about them.” He said starting to get interested.

            “Don’t get too ahead of yourself, he doesn’t trust you just yet.” I said. But then he noticed my limping, and the scar on Razor. He noticed that it was a fresh scar.

            “Something happen on the way here?” he asked.

            “Don’t worry about. It was nothing, Tas.” I said stopping at a chair, and sitting down with a desk in front of it. Razor went and curled up just beside the desk while Tas walked up to the desk, and put down some papers. I took off my mask and started reading.

            “These are some island names planning on taking Berk and the latest news I could gather on the dragon movements on Islands and Island movements on dragons. I heard from some Berserkers, on Berserker Island, that Dagur the Deranged is planning on taking Hiccup and his Night fury when they go on their night flight, one day, nothing has happened yet. I also heard from Trader-Johan, on Berserker Island, that Alvin the Treacherous, is planning on kidnapping the boy for dragon training.” Tas said, motioning to the names on the list.

            “So, has word got out about the chief of Berk?” I asked, wondering if the world knows that Hiccup is now chief.

            “Um, now that I think of it, I overheard some soldiers of the Maranda Island, that there was a new chief of Berk. Would you know anything about that?” he asked.

            “Actually, I was there when they appointed him chief.” I said, not turning away from the papers. ‘Wow Hiccup, becoming the Dragon-Conquer makes enemies. They all want to capture you for Dragon Training. And the Dragons have made a few enemies.’ I thought. Sure I help the world to be a better place for dragons, but there is some Islands that I haven’t trained dragons for, because they would use those dragons to conquer the world, so I don’t intend to train their dragons for them, ever.

            “Who is it?” he asked excitedly.

            “Hiccup.” I asked not taking my eyes off the paper.

            “How did he become Cheif, Why did he become Cheif? I don’t get told much around here.” He asked.

            “Stoick was killed, and Hiccup was appointed chief.” I said simply.

            “How was Stoick the Vast killed?” he said in curiosity.

            “Toothless killed him...” I said and his jaw dropped. “…being controlled by the Alpha.” I continued.

            “What Alpha?” he asked.

            “Huh, I guess, I now have to tell you the whole story.” I said putting the paper down, while he took a seat. I told him about the Sanctuary, Drago Bloodfist, Valka, the Bewilderbeast fight, Stoick’s death trying to save Hiccup, the battle between Drago and Hiccup, Toothless becoming Alpha, and him becoming chief. Tas was taken aback by what I said, and after the story, I picked up the paper again, and finished scanning it. Tas wasn’t that old actually, he was only 15. His parents were killed by some Berserker troops. He went around with a mask on and a flight suit like me, he went by the name, Deathstroke.

He was the only person, I truly trusted, because he knew my intensions and agreed with them. I plan to save all the dragons, and change the world forever. I know that is what Hiccup and Valka plan to do too. But I can’t afford for them to get into trouble by some of the enemies I’ve made, because I take risks that they wouldn’t even consider to ensure that I win, losing isn’t an option for me. When I rescued Tas when he was 12, I made a promise that I would do whatever it takes to ensure peace throughout the world, even if I have to destroy villages to do it.

It has been three years since I came back to my island, I have destroyed villages after villages, to become the most feared person in the world, you need to create fear. I have destroyed three island villages, they were planning to destroy Berk, Outcast Island was the first and another six islands that I have now got a treaty running with will be next, I have already destroyed two of them, four villages to go. To know what island to destroy, I watch them in battle against raiding dragons, then Smokey hides in their Great Hall and tells me their plan. If they want to capture a dragon trainer or want to destroy another island, I lead the next dragon raid and destroy them.

 

Right now I am in a hall on an island that is hosting a meeting that most of the chiefs in the Archipelago are attending to discuss about the ‘Dragon-Alpha-Night’. They made that my reputation as DarkNight was; Ruthless Killer, Destroyer of Islands, if seen can mean the death of your village and yourself, if spotted hide and prey he doesn’t find you, and if he doesn’t attack pray he makes an treaty offer before he decides to kill you and all you love. Hiccup even attended this meeting. He was the one who put the treaty part on my reputation, I also attended that meeting, in secret, to know what I was being put up as. I first sent Smokey in to tell me the defences they set up so I could sneak inside the hall. Most of the chiefs said that they would put up new laws in their villages to try and help protect them from me, or at least try to show me that they don’t want to be destroyed. I actually did make an appearance at the meeting,

            “So, at sun-down make sure everyone is either on defence patrol or in their house, no shooting if you see DarkNight. Wait to see what he is going to do, whether he decides on treaty or to start attacking. If he attacks defend your villages.” Hiccup said to the other chiefs.

            “Ha-ha-ha. That is your plan?” I said hiding in the shadows. They all stood up and looked in my direction.

            “Show yourself!” one of the chiefs shouted.

            “I really expected something better. But if you insist on trying to avoid destruction, you should really check the roof of your halls, who knows when a dragon might be listening.” I said as Smokey jumped down to me and lit a fire in his mouth.

            “DarkNight. What are you doing here?” Hiccup said to me.

            “Well, when I heard that some chiefs were having a meeting about me and that Hiccup was attending, I decided that it was something I couldn’t miss out on and the perfect opportunity to talk, in fact I went through so much trouble to get here, you know, knocking out the guards, sneaking in the hall, Oh and having to get through your scouts without being spotted, now that was hard. Ha-ha, but not for me. I noticed that there was no Berk ships anchored at the docks, which only means you flew here on Toothless, who I did find by the way.”

            “What did you do to Toothless?” Hiccup said with anger.

            “Don’t worry, I don’t harm most dragons. But now for my question, what are you going to do now that I am here? Oh, and think thoroughly or my dragon will do something crazy.” I threatened.

            “You wouldn’t harm most of us in this hall, you have a treaty to protect us.” Hiccup defended.

            “True, true. But as you can see I can kill all of you in this hall and this island, and most people will just think it was a natural disaster or a dragon attack that killed everyone. And I still haven’t heard anything new of Berk, which is startling for me, you of all people Hiccup should understand. But I can understand the secrecy from other islands, but keeping word from me? You know my rule, I get word about everything. And how come I can’t get contact with my ally on Berk?” I said getting angry. Tas had went to Berk to keep an eye on things for me.

            “Who would your ally be?” Hiccup asked getting curious.

            “A man named Deathstroke. He wears a suit like mine, and rides a black Flightmare with dark blue markings. Where is he?” I asked Hiccup.

            “Why should I tell you?” Hiccup asked. “Why don’t I use him as leverage to stop you from attacking villages?” Hiccup threatened.

            “Or we could do an exchange? Toothless for Deathstroke?” I threatened.

            “I thought you don’t harm dragons?” Hiccup questioned.

            “I don’t harm most dragons, but don’t worry about harm to Toothless. But if you don’t return Deathstroke, I won't return Toothless, I’ll take him and make him part of my army.” I threatened Hiccup. “Besides, you’ve seen what I can do, just imagine the destruction I can do to Berk trying to get back something that is mine, I might even have Toothless lead the attack against Berk. But I will get Deathstroke back, and no one will stand in my way, NO ONE.” I threatened. No one is going to stand in my way of finding my friend, I made him a promise years ago that no one would harm him ever again. He was one day late for giving me an update of what was happening at Berk, Tas is never late, especially by this much.

            “Not even me?” Someone said from the end of the table standing next to Hiccup, with their Monstrous Nightmare curled up at the back. Obviously Toothless had gone for a walk fore Flamethrower to be here and he wasn’t.

            “No.” I said as I whistled and Razor pounced in the hall growling. “Now, last time, where is he?!” I yelled in anger.

            “On Berk. Give me Toothless and I will take you to him.” Hiccup negotiated.

            “I don’t think so. You can ride with him.” I said gesturing to my father. “Toothless will be close behind us with one of my other dragons.” I said as I mounted Razor and walked outside. “Go tell him to be ready and have Toothless close by.” I said to Smokey in Dragonese. Smokey took off for the rest of my dragons, while Hiccup said to the rest of the chiefs,

            “Sorry I have to go. I will explain everything when this is over, I have Toothless back and I return.” He said and then mounted Flamethrower behind my father.

As we landed on Berk, Astrid came up and wondered why Hiccup was back early and where was Toothless and why was he with me.

            “DarkNight has Toothless, and unless we give back Deathstroke and his dragon, I am never going to see Toothless again.” Hiccup explained. Hiccup took me to the Dragon Academy and opened one of the doors. It revealed Deathstroke and Ghost. I walked in, Grabbed Deathstroke and walked out with his right arm over my shoulders. Razor walked in and checked Ghost, he was fine but in no condition to fly, and Deathstroke was in bad shape.

            “Now where is Toothless?” Hiccup demanded.

            “First, what happened to him?” I demanded.

            “He came here saying that he was keeping an eye on things for you and said that he was Deathstroke. Just Yesterday, Toothless and I was on our morning patrol of Berk before we left for the cheif meeting, when we discovered that he had been attacked in his sleep. We brought him to Gothi, she said he would be fine with rest so we brought him here. We didn’t want him waking up and attacking us in our sleep thinking we did it to him. Now where is Toothless?” Hiccup demanded.

            “Smokey!” I said as Smokey came to my arm, "Tell Red to bring him in." I told Smokey and he took off, a few seconds later, Red came and dropped Toothless right in front of them. “Next time don’t push me to such measures. When I don’t hear from my people I get angry. No one likes me when I am angry.” I said as I put Tas on Electra and Red held Ghost on Death as we flew back to our hidden island.

 

When Tas was all healed up he explained to me what happened.

            “When I bunkered up for the night, Ghost was curled around me and I was just about to fall to sleep when Ghost popped up and we saw some rustling in the bushes. I got up and looked around, I saw nothing, but then Ghost shot some Algae through the trees and we heard a scream followed by silence. I grabbed my torch and we went into the forest and found one of the Vikings from Maranda Island frozen from the Algae. But before I knew it a dragon attacked me from behind, Ghost did freeze it with Algae, but then four more dragons attacked us. I was knocked out and beaten badly.” Tas told me.

            “Did you recognise any of the dragons?” I asked him.

            “Yeah, I recognise the Gronkle that was frozen by Algae as one of the Gronkles we trained from Maranda Island, and the Orange Nightmare and greeny-blue Nadder from Maranda Island." I told Tas to try and calm him down, while I thought of why Vikings from Maranda Island would attack Tas. 'Obviously they were trying to lure me out to attack the Berkians, why? I don’t know, but I will find out, I will find out why Maranda Island would betray me like this and try to destroy Berk using me.' I thought. ‘But until then, I have raise an army. And with my new army, I will destroy all of my enemies. I will bring peace to this world, starting with Marandians.’ I thought and flew off into the clouds towards Maranda Island.

(Commentating) “I have made enemies, and I’ve made allies. Sure they want to kill me, let them come, let them try to find us. But if they find us, we will fight. You see, I have something no one on earth does, oh sure they have armies, armadas and some of them have dragons. But me, I have MY DRAGONS!!!"

ROAR!!

© 2015 Caity


Author's Note

Caity
thanks for reading my story, it isn't as long as the other two, but it does ramble a bit at the end, sorry but I was running out of ideas and things to write. please don't criticise but I would love reviews on how I went. THANKS!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

46 Views
Added on July 13, 2015
Last Updated on July 14, 2015

Author

Caity
Caity

Mackay, Mackay, Australia



About
Love horses and dogs Like writing dragon and medieval time books more..

Writing