Part 3: An Honorable Friend

Part 3: An Honorable Friend

A Chapter by Jasmine S. Edwards
"

Serenity's first encounter with Sephiroth, Rufus Shinra's tenth birthday party, Rufus and his mother Bella Shinra and the night she left.

"

Part 3: An Honorable Friend



(“Hurt”- Inch Chua) “Genesis, why does that name sound familiar?” Vincent ponders.

“I sure you have heard of Project S, right?”

“Yes, the one that Sephiroth was born from.” Cloud states.

“Yes. That was Hojo’s experiment, but other than Professor Gast there was another scientist named, Hollander. Hollander is the one who produced both Genesis and Angeal using Jenova cells from Angeal’s mother, Gillian- project G. Genesis, as a fetus, was injected with DNA from Gillian while Angeal inherited the cells being Gillian’s biological child. Occurring at the same time, Hojo injected Jenova cells into his own child while he was still in his mother’s womb.”

“So, there are two others out there just like Sephiroth?” Cloud is displeased.

“There were, but many tragedies have occurred since then.  It only took me a year to finish my schooling and land a job in Hojo’s lab. At first, he had me read through research paper after research paper. I spent much of my time in the library or in the lab. Eventually I started working in the Transfusion department to learn more about Jenova cells. There, I met many members of Soldier and treated them. I ate lunch on their floor because I had befriended so many of them. I remember I was eating lunch one day I was waiting for my brother and Angeal,”




Serenity sets her tray on a round table that can seat six. She opens up her carton of orange juice and looks around the cafeteria. Many of the tables are full so she is happy she found one before all the seats are taken. She looks at the line where employees pay for their food; still no sign of them. She sees a man wearing a long black coat, black boots and has long silver hair and Mako green eyes heading her way. She has seen this man on the Soldier floor before and knows who he is, everyone knows who he is.  She has never talked to him, but this time would be different. He is looking around the cafeteria. As he approaches her table she says, “Hello, Sephiroth. Do you need a place to sit?”

“I am looking for someone right now.”

“Well you can sit here until they show up if you want.”

Sephiroth sets down his salad bowl and apple on the table.

“So, who are you looking for?”

“A Soldier named, Angeal and a Soldier named, Genesis. We have a mission after lunch.”

“What?! You know them?” She jumps out of her seat.

“Yes, considering we are in Soldier. You know them?”

“Yes, considering one is my brother and the other is a childhood friend! They have a mission with the great Sephiroth! How exciting, they didn’t even tell me those jerks.” She sits back down, crossing her arms.

“Honestly, I wouldn’t even know their names if they weren’t rising through the ranks so quickly. You’re lucky to have two people as strong as them in your life.” He sits down.

“I guess so. Wish they would keep me informed though.”

“That Shinra for you; they tell you just enough to get you motivated, but not enough to question your judgment.”

“Ain’t that the truth? Well, Angeal and Genesis are meeting me here for lunch so you can round them up for yawls mission then. What is your mission?”

“That’s classified information.”

“Something sketchy then?”

“Maybe, maybe not. Depends on what you consider ‘sketchy’.” 

“Everything Shinra does.” They say simultaneously as Serenity laughs and Sephiroth smiles. Genesis and Angeal make it to the table.

“Why must you pick the table that the hardest to find.” Genesis complains. “And who is this?” Sephiroth slides his chair out and turns around so they can see his face. He slowly opens his eyes and his Mako intense eyes stare straight at Genesis.

“Do you really have to ask that question?” Genesis and Angeal stand at attention.

“Sir!” They voice in embarrassment.

“I have a mission for you two, report to Soldier floor lobby at 13 hour for briefing. Dismissed.”

“Yes, sir!”

As Sephiroth walks away he says, “It was a pleasure talking to you…”

“Serenity, Serenity Rhapsodos.”

“Serenity, that’s a pretty name.” She blushes as he walks away. 




“Of course, Genesis freaked out on me. He didn’t want me ‘socializing with the enemy’ as he put it. Even then, his main goal was to become Shinra’s top Soldier; surpassing Angeal and Sephiroth to become ‘the hero’. He really did read that play too much.”

“What play?” Cloud asks.

LOVELESS. He always read it aloud to Angeal and I and when they became 1st, he would recite it to Sephiroth as well. They were all so close back then. He wanted to know its ending; the fifth act. Sometimes I feel like they played out that play.”

“Cid said something to me about it once; I’ve never seen the play though.” Cloud says to Vincent.

“I’ve never heard of it. I must really be out of sync with the times.”

“You should read it, it’s beautiful.”

“Maybe, I will.”             

To get back on track, Cloud asks, “What happened after the three of them became 1sts?”

“Well, they went on more and more mission together. They would train together, hang out together and every time they did I was with them. Even at company parties. (End)




(“Rufus’ Welcoming Ceremony”- Piano Version) It was the president’s son’s birthday, Rufus Shinra. He is now ten years old. All employees are at the party in the Shinra Company Ballroom. Sadly, none are his age and none are his friends. Genesis and Angeal have their hair slicked back…well Angeal’s already was and they both are wearing suits- Genesis’ red and Angeal’s a dark blue. They hang around the 3rd class Soldiers for that is the class they are currently in. To the north is the president’s table with Sephiroth standing next to the president as a bodyguard. He has his hair pulled back into a long ponytail and wears a white suit with gold embroidery. Across the room to the west is the science department where Serenity is seen speaking with Hojo and eating an appetizer. He wears his lab coat as usual while Serenity wears a long silver evening gown with matching gloves; with a corset bodice and sky blue crystals in the tulle. Her hair is tied back into a loose bun and the hair that is loose is curled. Silver earrings hang from her ears.

“Serenity, is it?” Hojo approaches her. She shallows the food in her mouth quickly.

“Why, yes. And you must be the great professor Hojo. It’s a pleasure to finally meet you. I’m surprised you know my name.”

“You’re the one who thinks your worthy enough to become my assistant?”

“Why, yes. I’ve studied your work along with the other Shinra scientist for years now. I have genetically modified Banora White apples, Banora, that’s where I grew up. I even have my own ideas that could aid in your research. I know I’m pretty young but I have always wanted to pursue knowledge, dive into the unknown.”

“Oh, do you now. Ah-ha! Silly girl from…Banora.” Hojo finally looks her in the eyes and he likes what he sees. “Ah-ha, ah-ha hahahaha. You just keep on studying.” (End)




“Don’t you worry I will! I love research. But doing actually experiment does seem more thrilling.”

(“Moon River”-Aretha Franklin) A song comes on and people take to the dance floor. President Shinra takes two different women with him and allows Sephiroth to do what he wants. He joins the Soldiers, but doesn’t talk or stand next to anyone in particular. Serenity looks his way but makes eye contact with Angeal first. He nods her over and she excuses herself from the conversation she was in. Angeal sets his drink on the table behind him, bows down and asks her to dance with him. She curtseys, takes his hand and he leads them to the floor. Sephiroth watches them and Genesis takes notice. He walks over to him.

“Didn’t think you liked attending parties.”

“I don’t. I’m on duty.”

“I’d like to be in your position, getting paid just to stand around at a party…but then again I don’t particularly like parties either.”

Sephiroth doesn’t respond. He keeps watching the people dance-mesmerized by every twirl and sway the couples make.

“You know, she’s looking really beautiful tonight.”

Sephiroth takes in the words and then replies, “Who?”

“You know who, you’ve been staring at her the whole night whether you realize it or not.”

“So you admit you’ve been keeping your eye on me the whole night then?”

“I’m her brother, that’s what we do.” He puts his hand on his shoulder and turns him slightly towards him and states, “She’s off limits. She’s Angeal’s girl…my friend. Someone I can trust.”

Sephiroth smirks, shrugs his hand off and walks away. As he does, Genesis can see that she was watching him too as she danced with Angeal and blushed as he passes her by. As he passes by Hojo, Hojo can’t help himself and lets out a snicker. Sephiroth paid him no mind and kept walking to the bar and then back to the president’s table to talk to Rufus.

“Are you going to do something other than walking around like a creep?”

“Are you going to do anything than sit at this table and eat? Keep it up, you’ll have a belly like your father in no time.”

“Ha, funny.” Rufus replies sarcastically.




The President returns to the table and asks Rufus who he wanted to present the cake to him.

 “Well, pick anyone you want.”

 “Well, Sephiroth of course.” He can’t ignore the man who protects them and who is also a foot away from him.

“Anyone else, maybe a lady friend?” He insists. Rufus scans the dance floor to see the big smile on Serenity face and her graceful movements.

“I want her, the girl in the silver dress, brown hair and a smile on her face.” He follows her movement with his index finger.

“Hmm, I like your taste. You truly are my son! Ha, ha-ha. Maybe you’re not such a loser after all.”

“Your cake will be ready soon, Mr. President.” The chef informs.

“Well hurry, I am growing impatient, fool!” (End)




(“A Blossom Fell” " Nat King Cole) Later in the night, Serenity and Sephiroth are asked to present the cake to Rufus. Together they carry a five-layer tower cake to him. Sephiroth places the candles on the cake while Serenity lights the candles. People begin to sing happy birthday to him. Serenity sings along while Sephiroth is silent. The candle light illuminates her face and makes her emerald eyes sparkle. Sephiroth gazes into them and when she feels his stare, she gazes into his as she continues singing. Both have stars in their eyes and both shy away from them but then are attracted again. Rufus blows out the candles and the lights are turned back on, breaking their concentration on each other and puts their focus back onto Rufus and clapping for him. He cuts his piece and makes his way to the presents. His father presented his first. A giant cage was rolled into the room and when the veil was taken off, Rufus jumped for joy when he saw his new dog. Serenity and Sephiroth talk and soon they slow dance when Rufus is done opening his presents. Angeal sits at the bar with Genesis, confused and heartbroken. Genesis tries to cheer him up by reciting LOVELESS. He couldn’t help but smile when he saw her dance though, even if it was with another man. Rufus even snuck in a dance with her. Rufus wished that he could have shared this birthday with his mother, but this wouldn’t be the first of many birthdays she wouldn’t be there for her son. (End)




(“Bitter Heart”- Zee Avi) There was only one woman who President Shinra married and only one child she had for him. Bella Shinra had to endure many years of President Shinra’s womanizing and infidelity.  She stayed with him for Rufus’ sake. She didn’t want Rufus to follow in his footsteps when the time comes for him to take over the company. When Rufus was 7 years old, she took him, Sephiroth and some other children of Shinra employees to The Gold Saucer for Rufus’ birthday. President Shinra wouldn’t attend due to a “business meeting”. At the Gold Saucer, she lets the boys roam free while she went to go find some adult entertainment. Rufus headed straight for the Chocobo racing and dragged Sephiroth with him.

“Let’s race our Chocobos! I know you have one.”

“Yes, I do. But, mine is far superior to yours.”                                   

“Ha! So you think. I had the best trainers around raising my Chocobo.”

“And I raised mine. Top notch Chocobo for a Solider.”

“Whatever, you are only 3rd class.”

“And I will be 1st soon enough. Give me a year or two…or a couple months.”

Rufus scoffs and walks to the registration desk.

“Put us in the next race, pops.” He tosses a heavy bag of Gil at the man. “One on One… Shinra versus Solider.”

“Right away, Mr. Shinra.”

Sephiroth smirks and heads to the Chocobo pen. Rufus calls his friends and demands them to drop what they are doing and to watch the race.




                Elsewhere, Bella heads to the fighting arena to watch hot, buff and sweaty men show of their skills. She gets a front row seat to witness every punch, every tackle, and every kick up close. In the end of round one, the winner flexes his muscles and winks at Bella. She blows a kiss at him at he catches it. As the next fight is going on, loud laughter gets her attention. She looks around the arena to see a balcony full with people, people she knew. Her husband was surrounded by other businessmen, smoke from cigars, booze and lusty women. Unable to enjoy herself, she decides to spy on her husband. As the fight ends, some of the men throw Gil on the table and President Shinra picks it up and places it in his briefcase. He takes a handful of Gil and gives it to one of the woman and leads her out of the arena. Bella follows him to the Ghost Square where the inn is. He takes the woman to his suite. Bella knows he cheats on her but she has never caught him in action, but what really set her off is that he rather cheat on her than celebrate their son’s birthday. She grabbed the first thing she could find; a broom from behind the front desk and rushed to his suite. The clerk knew something was about to go down and she told her friend to get some snacks so they could enjoy the show. As she neared the room, she could hear moaning. She calms herself and gently knocks on the door and says, “Room Service”. (End)

 (“Concrete Wall”-Zee Avi) “Room Service…you can come in if you’re pretty. I could use another lovelier lady to pleasure me.”

She slams the door open, “Oh I got your ‘lovelier lady’ right here!” She swings the broom at the people in the bed. “You b*****s, get the f**k off my husband!” They shield their faces and scatter around the room trying to find their clothes. “And you, you pig! You a*****e. You rather f**k some nasty woman than make love to me? You rather have their company on your son’s birthday than your family’s? I’m sick of this s**t. Put your damn clothes back on before I cut your dick off!”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa, you need to calm it down. This is business, baby. You should know that. Ladies, you don’t have to go anywhere, sit down for a minute while I calm her down.”

“Calm me down? I’m not going to calm down as long as you have these Ho’s in this room!”

“Bella, get out. You are embarrassing me and yourself. You’re supposed to be watching our son and I should to be working. Don’t distract you or me of our duties.”

“Your duty is to you family!”                             

“No! My duty is to my company and your duty is to raise the inheritor! Is that clear?”

“You b*****d! I’m done with you!” She chucks the broom at him. “Rufus is my child and not your property! I’m sure you have fathered other children in your escapades, one of them can inherit your company!” She leaves the suite and finds Rufus and his friends and rushed them back to Midgar. (End)




(“Anchor”- Zee Avi) “Do you remember that night, Sephiroth?” Rufus asks as they walk through the Shinra building main lobby. All the employees had left for the night and the building was eerily quiet.

“What night?” Sephiroth jerks his head in the direction of the Shinra exhibition area; he rather walk and talk trough there knowing that this will be a long conversation. Rufus follows and answers Sephiroth’s question. 

“The night my mother disappeared; she tried to take me with her, but my father wouldn’t let her. They just kept screaming at each other. She tried packing her things and he threw her luggage across the room. She tried to retrieve them, but he grabbed her arm. She shouted in his face and he shouted back at her. She slapped him and he backhanded her. While she was on the ground, he burned her with the end of his cigar and shouted in her face mean things. She kicked him off of her and ran into the hall and closed the door behind her. I ran to my room, waiting to see if she was coming to get me. But she didn’t. She just left and she hasn’t returned.”

 “I remember seeing her in the elevator when she was heading to your house, but that was before all that went down. Do you know why she wanted to leave?”

“No, she never said.”

“It was probably because of your father. I’m surprised he kept a wife for this long.”

“Why do you say that?”

“You’ll learn soon enough. You are eight years old now. I’m sure you have noticed the kind of man your father is.”

“Work drove her away.”

“That and other things.”

Rufus starts to sniffle. “I want her… to come back. Things haven’t been… the same.” He tries to hold back the tears.

“It won’t be from here on out. Get use to it. That’s what happens when you become too attached to someone. They won’t be in your life forever and when you lose them you never want to let them go.”

“You got to have at least something in your life you can trust and that will be there forever. There has to be something.”

“When I was little, all I had was a teddy bear to talk to. Most nights, I would hug it and cry until I fell asleep. And I hated sleeping in my bed; I’d rather sleep on the couch because I didn’t want to sleep alone in a bed that could fit five of me.”

“Do you still have the teddy bear?”

“No, Hojo burned it saying that an attachment to anything is a weakness and that I wouldn’t be a great Solider with ‘distractions’. Since then, I haven’t cried and I sleep in my bed.”

“But, you still remember that bear. You have memories that you’re attached to. Those will stay with you.”

“Rufus, even memories are fragile. They can be distorted, misinterpreted, false and unpleasant.”

Rufus wipes his eyes. “Rufus, I guess we are just going to be lonely people. There is no one is Shinra that cares about either of us.”

“I guess. Or, maybe we need to find people who are not part of the same lifestyle as us. Outsiders are kinder than insiders.”

“But even outsiders might want their way in.”

“Yeah, into your heart. I have faith I will find true friends…friends like you.”

“I’m not your friend; I am your body guard.”

“So you say, Sephiroth…so you say.” They leave the exhibition and head to their apartments. Sephiorth lies in his bed and stares at the ceiling. He decides to sit on the couch and look out the window until he falls asleep. Rufus passes by his father’s room to see that he has two random women in his bed. Rufus slams the door shut and runs to his room. He grabs his teddy bear, cradles it under his arm and cries himself to sleep. (End)




(“Lavender Hills”- Music that will make you Cry) “Years go by quick. In late 1994, I had my first child. We were only 17, pretty young but we were in love. We named him, Riku. He looks exactly like his father, now. Built like him, more cocky but still calm, cool and collected, wants to be strong for those around him and for himself, can be condescending at times, has the same strange sense of humor, smart, keeps certain things to himself, but above all he has the same curiosity.” While talking, she walks over to the mantle above the fireplace and picks up a picture frame. She shows Cloud and Vincent her son. In the picture he has a slight smile on his face. His eyes are aquamarine-sea-foam colored; a strange mixture of blue and green. His hair is long and silver covering most of his face while lying on his shoulders too. A spitting image of his father; the only difference being is their eyes and hairstyle. There is another girl in the picture.




“A year after we had him, we had our second child and named her, Sakuya. She’s the girl in the picture.” Sakuya has long light brown hair that almost reaches the ground. She has lavender eyes which they find very unusual. She looks like her mother at that age, though.

 “A shock, I know. Only a few people knew that Sephiroth has children-a family. We were good about hiding it from those around us. We had most people fooled. I always claimed them as my own and said that their father died. Shortly after they were born, we were being called to fight in the war more frequently. We had to leave our children with my parents in Banora. Naturally Genesis and Angeal knew about them and helped raise them over in their first few years. Things got pretty hectic pretty quick, though.”(End)

 




© 2013 Jasmine S. Edwards


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1257 Views
Added on August 14, 2013
Last Updated on December 19, 2013


Author

Jasmine S. Edwards
Jasmine S. Edwards

Rochester, NY



About
College student who loves to write in my free time :) Always looking for inspiration and a good story to read. I write what comes to my mind or my takes on stories unfinished. My smart phone, a pen a.. more..

Writing