The Impossible is Possible

The Impossible is Possible

A Chapter by Jasmine S. Edwards
"

Ugtakin and Sara make it to the Northern Continent with the help of Laona and her parents. When her parents are unjustly imprisoned, he returns the favor.

"

Not knowing exactly how they will get to the Northern Water Tribe, they leave the city to the valley by car. Outside the city, they rest in a town by the sea between the earth kingdom and the north water tribe continent.

“We should make a boat, mom. I can water bend us the rest of the way.

“But, that would be a pretty exhausting trip. Are you sure you won’t get tired?”

“I’m sure.”

A woman approaches Sara and Ugtakin with her daughter and husband. “Hey, I couldn’t help but overhearing that you are traveling north. My family and I are heading that way too and”

“You need a ride?” Sara assumes.

“Actually, we would like to offer you a ride. We have a small plane that can get you there in no time.”

“We’d really appreciate that, thank you.” Ugtakin replies.

“Are you from the north?” His mother wonders.

“We are. We need to drop off the plane to my parents’ village; help with their exporting business.” The man replies.

“Well, thank you. I’m Sara and this is my son Ugtakin.”

“I’m Uruk and this is my wife Nani and our daughter Laona.”

                They load their luggage into the plane and help the family with theirs. After everything is in there, they push the plane into the water. Sara and Ugtakin wonder how they will all fit in the plane.

“You’ll see. Just take your seats.” And they do. Uruk and Nani climb onto opposite wings and strap themselves to one of the beams. Laona takes the wheel and gets the propeller going.

“Ready?” She calls to her parents.

“Ready!” they respond at the same time. She revs up the engine to get it moving and her parents use fire bending to give it an extra boost.

“We need more power, Ugtakin or Sara can you fire bend or water bend?” Laona asks.

“I can water bend!” he exclaims.

“Alright, bend with me then, Sara take the wheel.” Together, they lessen the friction between the gliders and the water allowing the plane to accelerate and lift into the air. When they are high enough and traveling fast enough, the parents make their way back to the cockpit and Uruk takes over steering.

“Your parents are fire benders…from the water tribe?” Ugtakin is confused.

“I know weird right. My parents never really understood it either. But I guess we have fire bender ancestors on both sides of the family. For the longest, I thought I was adopted but I am not.”

“Well that’s different, but cool.”

“Your mother is a non-bender and what about your dad?”

“He was…is a water bender. My mother’s family is from the earth kingdom and my fathers from the north.”

“You don’t live with your father? Is he busy working?”

“Yeah…I guess you could say that.”

“Well, maybe he is in my grandparents’ village. Is that where he lives?”

“We don’t know…we haven’t seen him is years.”

“I’m sorry. I hope you find him.”

“Me too.” They fly the rest of the trip in silence.

                Landing in the snowy artic that is the northern continent, they arrive at the town. Seeing that Uruk’s parents’ house is too small for two extra guests, Sara and Ugtakin look for a place to stay. An elderly woman, Yuya offers her home to them for the night. They are grateful and enjoy a nice dinner she cooked.

“So, where are you two headed?”

“Exploring the region. Eventually we will meet up with my husband and journey back to Republic City.”

“Republic City, it is probably beautiful there. I’ve lived here all my life.”

“Alone?” Ugtakin feels bad.

“No, with my parents, my husband and our children but they are all gone now.”

“I’m sorry. Our family is pretty broken too.” Ugtakin mentions hoping it will make her feel not as alone.

“I see. It’s always nice to have company. It’s been over a decade since my youngest son left. He went to Republic City with political ambitions.” Sara stops eating mid-stride.

“His name wouldn’t be Tarrlok, would it?” Yuya’s face brightens up.

“Why, yes. Do you know him?”

“I don’t personally know him, but he was part of the Republic City council, but that was two years ago.”

“Do you know where he is now?”  

“I don’t.”

“Oh…”

“Yuya, you said he was your youngest son. Is your oldest son named Noatak and your husband, Yakone?” She freezes in place and begins to cry.

“He never…came back… from their camping trip. We never found him…and my husband…couldn’t go on. I kept…going for Tarrlok…” She can barely catch her breath.

“Yuya, your son didn’t parish. He made t to Republic City and found me. And Ugtakin is your grandson.”

 She catches her breath, “He’s alive! Where is he?”

“We hoped that he came back here. A lot has happened recently and he had to flee the city. He never told us where he was heading.”

“Flee? Why was he on the run?”

“It doesn’t matter, all that matters is that he is out there somewhere and he may return home.” Yuya wipes her eyes and hugs Ugtakin and Sara.

“I’m glad to have family again.”

                She takes a deep breath and clears the table when they are finished eating. She gives them blankets and lights the fireplace so they can endure this frigid night. She retires to her room while Ugtakin wants a few answers.

“Yakone is my grandfather? But wasn’t he an infamous crime boss in Republic City?”

“Where did you hear that?”

“At school. That would explain why our blood bending is so strong! Why Amon was so strong.”

“Quiet down! Don’t wake Yuya.”Too late.

“A crime boss?” Yuya is surprised.

“Yes. He could blood bend which is illegal but better yet he could do it without a full moon. He fled the city”

“And found me, the daughter of a castaway. My parents, Washi and Hahn were non-benders and my grandfather was ashamed of his son who didn’t make a good warrior either. He failed to take down Admiral Zhao’s ship during the fire nation’s siege of the capital. He fled too and found my mother and lived a simple life. Something Yakone tried but now I see that those camping trips were something more.

“Yes, Noatak became Amon and both your sons, blood benders.”

                The Siege of the North was led by Admiral Zhao of the Fire Nation. His goal was to rid the world of water benders by killing the moon spirit. The moon spirit was the first teacher for water benders and it had given some of its life to Princess Yue.

Zhao succeeded in killing the moon spirit who took the form of a fish but Yue gave her life to revive the spirit and became the new moon spirit. Avatar Aang ended the fight by destroying his fleet by using his Avatar State to transform into a giant water monster. Failing his quest of conquer, Zhao’s soul was lost to the spirit world where it hasn’t rested for seven decades. Hahn was the fiancé of Yue, a warrior and leader of a special group of men whose task was to capture Zhao’s ship. He failed miserably for their fire nation disguises were out of date. He was thrown overboard by Zhao with ease. With his fiancé the moon spirit and his overwhelming shame, he had nothing to return to and left the capital with his mother, Alumina.


                “I guess it was fate that we met and that you are here.” Yuya hugs them goodnight again and goes to sleep. Ugtakin and Sara snuggle under their warm animal fur blankets and get some sleep too. In the morning, Yuya and Sara are outside talking and drinking tea. Ugtakin looks around Yuya’s house. He finds a picture of a young Yuya with Yakone, Tarrlok and his father. Ugtakin looks just like his father at that age. However, he didn't look too happy; a fake smile was on his face, a smile Ugtakin is familiar with. When he goes outside, he sees Laona running towards the house.


“Ugtakin, Sara I need your help!”

“What’s wrong, child?” Sara asks.

“They took my parents. I was playing with some friends and when I returned home, I saw them take away my parents!”

“Who are ‘they’?” Ugtakin needs clarification.

“Just recently a group of blood benders called The Brotherhood of Blood Benders has been traveling from village to village and town to town to drive away anyone who isn’t a water bender and especially fire benders. They imprison them and ship them back to their respective nations.”

“But the water tribe is their home.” Ugtakin grows angry.

“Most are descendants of warriors who task was to protect the capital from Fire Nation raids during the war. Most don't want a situation like the Seige of the North to happen again and want to help the South as part of rebuilding their relationship after the civil war. To me, they are just causing unwanted trouble.” Yuya explains.

“Well we have to get them back! Come on, we have to find their base.” Ugtakin drags Laona along not knowing where he’s going.

“Pretend that you want to join and rescue them when the time’s right.” Yuya suggests.

                Following their snowmobile tracks, their base wasn’t too far from the town but closer to the North Pole. Luckily both of them are water benders so it won’t take much to convince them. They see her parents being forced into a compound with jail cells. One of the brothers noticed them and approaches,

“And what are you two kids doing here?” She asks.

“We wanted to join the brotherhood. My sister and I escaped from a small town in the fire nation. Our parents were politicians trying to reduce tension between the two nations but they were…assassinated by a fire bender. We want to avenge their deaths.”

“Yes, we want to become powerful blood benders.”

“Well, you’ve come to the right place. I’m glad to see our reach is expanding.”

                She waves them on and leads them to the main structure, a giant hut. Inside, they see men, women, adults and children learning the art of blood bending. She tells them to wait in the training room for their leader to greet them. Ugtakin sees the children training and knows he is much stronger than them. Laona is terrified that they are able to manipulate wolves already. The leader makes his way to them. He is an elderly man who is over one hundred years old but doesn’t look a day over seventy.

“Welcome to the brotherhood my friends. We are glad that you joined our cause. And what are you names?”

“Ugtakin”

“Laona”

“Ugtakin, Laona walk with me. I shall tell you our history.” They walk through the compound that has paintings of important figures; one is of an elderly woman and man, a man and a young man.

“The one who founded the art of blood bending was a water bender named Hama. She was from the southern water tribe and was captured by fire nation soldiers during their many raids. While imprisoned, she became enlightened to the fact that anything living has water. She taught herself blood bending but she could only use it when the moon was full, when a water bend’s power is at its greatest. The perfect night came and she made her escape. Her husband, Maoi found her and she taught him blood bending. She stayed in the fire nation and imprisoned as many fire benders as she could. Maoi was the man who brought the knowledge of this bending art to the water tribes. He began to recruit an army of water benders who he turned blood benders to protect the capital from fire nation raids. Unfortunately, the raids became more directed towards the southern tribe. His son would carry on the legacy of blood bending while becoming a legend for having another unique ability. Nango ‘The Impossible’ was a water bender who could blood bend and air bend.

No one knows how he acquired the ability to air bend and many believed he was the Avatar, but it was never confirmed since he never learned fire or earth bending. He used his abilities to keep the fire nation away for decades. Any fire nation ship that dared to pass through our waters was destroyed. Upon his death in 86AG, his son Ran continued his father’s work and the brotherhood was born.

He trained many great leaders who recruited many more followers. One of his greatest students was Yakone, who mastered the psychic bending ability and could blood bend without the moon. They, Ran and Yakone, both eventually became major crime bosses in Republic City until Yakone was ‘found guilty’ and Avatar Aang took away his bending. When Ran and his wife, Alumina had their son they were devastated that he was a non-bender. Hahn bought shame to their family and ran away. Ran died when he learned of his son’s death and that his granddaughter, Yuya was a non-bender as well. The line ends there but many have begun. The fire nation's effects on our tribes are lasting. The civil war last year made us more aware of the help they need in order to rebuild and get back on their feet. Our mission is to protect water benders and help the south repopulate their diminished bender population. We don’t need other benders and non-benders weakening our tribes. Are you ready to carry on the legacy?”


“Yes, I am.” Ugtakin responds.

“And so am I.” Laona follows with.

“Good, let us begin your training.” The leader says.

                Ugtakin pretends that he doesn’t know how to blood bend and Laona truly has no interest in learning. When night falls, the moon is full. They sneak into the prison and find Laona’s parents. They break them out as well as the rest of the prisoners. An alarm is sounded and blood benders rush to the holding cells. Ugtakin draws on his dark powers and uses his psychic bending to suppress their control and chi blocks them to keep them down. Uruk, Nani and Laona had no idea that he was already like them. They make it to the main gate, but the leader and his army are waiting.

“So, you are a blood bender, boy but why do you fight against us if you are one of us?”

“I am not one of you. My father is Noatak or better known as Amon, son of Yakone and Yuya. The blood bending line didn’t end but turned a new leaf. My father wanted to rid the world of benders because they caused so much pain and suffering to those burdened with it. He didn’t want the water tribe to follow in the fire nation’s footsteps and do onto them what they did to us. However, he shouldn’t have tried to make everyone non-benders either. There are those who use their curse as a gift and help any in need despite their nationality or abilities. Everyone has a responsibility to be civil towards and tolerate of others and everyone has the choice to do good or bad. Separating families is not the intention and that is why Republic City was created. Assuming a fire bender is not of the water tribe is a shame. Uruk’s and Nani’s parents are water tribe who happen to have fire nation ancestors. Our world is intermixed and that’s something we have to live with.”

“You remind me of him. I only met Nango once but he had a strong spirit and wanted to protect what he felt was right. I will let them go; you carry on the legacy and become a legend. Next time we meet, I hope you will join us and help lead this generation to a more peaceful future.” He opens the gates and waves goodbye.

“Thank you.” He bows to the leader and leads the prisoners out.

                Making it back to the village, Laona thanks Ugtakin for his help and they all eat dinner at Yuya’s house. That night, a spirit appears to Ugtakin in his dream. He recognizes him as Nango, The Impossible.       

                “My spirit was allowed back into this world a year ago when Korra let the portal open. I had to return to my people to see where they stood. I was angry to see fire benders and earth benders in my homeland. But, now that I look back I was angry at myself for letting things get out of hand. Water bending was introduced into my family by my mother, Hama.

My father, Maoi was born a non-bender, despite the belief that he was a water bender. My grandparents were an air bender and a fire bender. They made it work even when the war had just begun. I was born in the Southern Water Tribe, but when my mother was taken prisoner my father left me with my grandmother and aunt in the Southern Air Temple. By the time I was nine, I learned that I could bend water and air. My grandmother believed that I was the Avatar. She believed that Avatar Aang had died, but he was still frozen in an iceberg at the time. Before I could really learn how to control air, my father moved me and his mother to the north where he shared with me the knowledge of blood bending which I found more cool than air bending. My grandmother tried teaching me air bending but I didn’t have the right spirit for it. I met my wife Nanri and together we gathered even more potential blood benders.

I was the one who trained Yakone’s father and I was the one who helped him develop psychic bending ability that was passed onto his son. I tried to keep that bending art secret but a select few blood benders can do it. My son, Ran learned this ability and when I tried stopping him from spreading the knowledge, he over powered me and with my spirit gone, so was my life. I had hoped that blood bending wouldn’t return to my family but Yakone found his way to Ran’s granddaughter, my great-granddaughter. Now, Noatak and Tarrlok are gone as they saw no escape from their past, a past full of suffering and sadness. It is up to you, Ugtakin what you want to do with his curse or gift; you must decide which it is. For me, it was a curse and air bending was the gift I ignored.” Nango disappears from Ugtakin’s dream and he wakes up crying.

                Ugtakin sees that he awakened his mother. She is standing over him with worried looks on her face. 

“You were crying in your sleep. Are you ok?” She rubs his back to calm him down.

“He’s dead…dad’s dead. He’s not here or anywhere.”

“So it's true. I had a feeling that he was. I saw it in a dream.”

“A dream? You knew?”

“Yeah, maybe it was his spirit telling me not to bother looking for him but I did anyway. I didn’t know how to tell you because I refused to believe it. I blame myself for his death, I was the one who taught him chi blocking and he used it to develop a technique that takes a bender’s spirit away. I wish I never met him, but if I didn’t I wouldn’t have you.”

“Don’t blame yourself, he chose to do what he did because he believed it was the right thing to do. Everything will be okay, mom. We have each other. My bending abilities are a burden but I think I know what I must do with them, getting rid of it is not an option.”

                Sara kisses him on the forehead and they go back to sleep. He sleeps with a smile on his face. Another spirit visits his dream and tells him to head back to Republic City in a few days. "Everyone will be waiting and ready to fight."



© 2014 Jasmine S. Edwards


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1454 Views
Added on March 29, 2014
Last Updated on July 26, 2014


Author

Jasmine S. Edwards
Jasmine S. Edwards

Rochester, NY



About
College student who loves to write in my free time :) Always looking for inspiration and a good story to read. I write what comes to my mind or my takes on stories unfinished. My smart phone, a pen a.. more..

Writing