The Tale of Three Lovers

The Tale of Three Lovers

A Chapter by Jasmine S. Edwards
"

Java's story- 60AG to 94AG

"

The year is 60AG. Fire Lord Azulon and his wife Ilah welcome their second son, Ozai. They hold a celebratory dinner and invite all the major political and military figures and their families. One of these families is Master Sanzo, his wife Jasmine and their daughter Java. His brother, Jeong Jeong and their parents, Vulcan and Yuyan also accompanies them. Vulcan and Yuyan opened a school in 33AG that trains non-benders of the Fire Nation archery skills. Azulon requested that they train their students to become soliders for the army and navy. They are famously known as Yuyan archers. Jeong Jeong and the Fire Lord’s oldest son, Iroh are best friends and both were born in 39 AG, making Iroh and Ozai twenty-one years apart. His niece, Java is five years old. Sanzo is a supervisor over the fire nation colonies and Iroh’s and Jeong Jeong’s fire bending teacher for eight years; he is older than them by five years.



                Iroh and Jeong Jeong decide to show off their skills to the Fire Lord and the guests. Just recently, both had trained with dragons, Ran and Shaw; they are the only two dragons left after fire benders hunted them down to prove their superiority and strength. They synchronize their movements as they fire bend, like they are preforming a dance. All are amazed at how controlled and strong their flames are. When they finish, Iroh makes a heart out of lightning while Jeong Jeong surrounds it in fire. The audience applauses as they bow to the Fire Lord and his new son. Iroh returns to his father’s table while Jeong Jeong joins his family.

                As the night goes on, Ilah tries to get Ozai to walk. He is only eight months old but he can already stand up on his own. So much is going on that he rather see what’s happening from his mother’s arms than his own two feet. Java walks by and sees that he wants to walk but is hesitant.

“Come on, Ozai, walk to your father.” His mother tells him. Azulon is talking with Sanzo, Vulcan and Yuyan. He is unaware.

“Ozai, try walking to me! I’ll catch you if you fall.” Java stands a little ways from Ozai and holds her arms out.

“Go on,” Ilah lets him move his feet and eventually let go of his arms. He unsteadily walks over to Java but doesn’t fall.

“Azulon! He’s walking!” He turns around to see him walking towards Java.

“That’s it, a few more steps!” Java smiles as he enters her arms.

“Ouch!” He pulls her copper blonde (orange) hair. Ilah laughs and picks up her son and gives him kisses.

“I’m so proud of you, Ozai.”

“He’ll be running in no time.” Azulon kisses Ilah an Ozai on their cheeks.

“Thank you for your help, Java. You’ll make a great mother one day.” Azulon tells Java. She hugs his leg and looks up at him, “I want four!” she exclaims.

“You don’t think that’s too many?” Ilah asks.

“Ummm, no. Two boys and two girls. My mom wants more kids but my dad said I was enough. He said I was a handful, so I guess he doesn’t have enough hands to hold that many kids.”

“Oh, really.” They laugh as they look over to Sanzo. He walks over,

“I am sorry, is she talking your ears off?”

“She is adorable.”

“I suggest you give her a brother or sister so she can talk their ears off.” Azulon suggests.

 “Hey Java, come here for a second.” Jeong Jeong calls to her. She runs over to her uncle.

“Maybe Jeong Jeong will find someone soon.”

                Jeong Jeong is talking with Iroh and Jasmine. They wonder if Java is a bender or not. Sanzo has been trying to teach her but they don’t see the spark in her eyes since they are pale green.

“Java, do you think you are a fire bender?” Jeong Jeong asks.

“I’m only five, I don’t know.”

“Well, if she isn’t I can always teach her archery. Yuyan taught me when I was younger.” Jasmine decides.

“She’ll make a great archer; she has a very free spirit. Much like the wind I’d say.” Iroh feels.

              



                78AG- Eighteen years later much has changed. Iroh is in the army and is captain under his father who is still general of the Fire Nation Army. Iroh has a son, Lu Ten who is four years old. The mother had passed away due to complications in child birth according to Iroh. Jeong Jeong is a fleet admiral for the Fire Nation Navy. He trained a prodigy fire bender, Zhao since 73AG who became a petty officer first class after two years of service. Java hasn’t seen her uncle in many years since he’s been out at sea. She and Ozai have grown up together since Sanzo was his fire bender teacher as well. Java has become very skilled in archery and she in indeed a non-bender. Unfortunately, Ilah recently passed away from an illness and the royal family is in mourning.


                Everyone is inside the palace tending to the Fire Lord while he mourns. Iroh stays by his father’s side. Ozai decides to walk around the gardens, escaping the gloom that’s in the air. He sees Java sitting by the pond. She feeds a family of turtle ducks. She is dressed in red while Ozai is dressed in white and gold for that is the color the royal family wears at funerals. He picks a white magnolia flower, pulls her hair back behind her right ear and uses the stem to hold it back.

“You look sadder than I and she was my mother.”

“I guess you just handle death better than I.”

“Yeah, men are better at it.”

“No, you just hold everything in and it builds up. Women let everything go right then and there. It’s okay to cry, Ozai but I guess you weren’t raised that way.” She throws the rest of the bread in the water with anger.

“Are you still grieving over your mother’s death?”

“Every day, for the past six years.” He takes her hands in his and she turns to him. He lifts her head by gently lifting her chin.

“There is nothing you could have done to change it.”
“But, she was my best friend and I miss her. Imagine if you lost your father unexpectedly and you couldn’t do anything to stop it. It’s hard to find someone who can fill that hole in your life.”

“I thought I was your best friend.” She places her hand on his cheek.

“Of course you are; you, Iroh, Zhao, my father and my uncle. I love you guys dearly.” He puts his hand on his cheek over hers, leans in closer and looks into her eyes.

“Am I more than your best friend? Could you see yourself spending the rest of your life with me? Living in the palace, raising our children, being tended to night and day? No stress for the outside world. I love you, Java and I want you to stay here with me.” Her facial expression goes from shock to confusion and then to anger. She pulls her face away.

“He told you didn’t he!” She says as she jumps to her feet.

“What do you mean? Who told me what?” He stands up as well.

“That I am joining the Navy. My father and your father are trying to convince me not to. They think that a girl and especially a non-bender won’t make a good solider.”

“The Navy? Why would you want to join? You can’t even handle two deaths, how can you handle thousands?”

“All you guys did was fire bend in my face all the time! When I got into danger, one of you always had to save me… I’m tired of feeling helpless and I’m tired of being stuck here in this palace, in this city and in this nation. All I do is cook and clean all day, trying to fill my mom’s shoes while my father travels between the Fire Nation and the colonies in the Earth Kingdom. I have never left this city. I have never gone to Ember Island for vacations or Shu Jing to check out my grandparent’s school. I don’t want to be trapped anymore. I am twenty-three years old, its time I moved on and lived my own life.” She begins to walk away but Ozai grabs her arm and pulls her towards him.

“You’re twenty-three, isn’t that more of a reason to settle down? Java, stay with me. We are meant to be together. Why do you think my father kept us so close?”

“Your father can’t keep me here either.”

“I demand you to stay!”

“Who do you think you are?”

“I am prince of the Fire Nation!”

“But you will never be Fire Lord. You will never have that authority over me!” Her body shakes as tears fall down her face. He loosens his grip and she pulls away. “I’m leaving with my uncle and Zhao tomorrow to join the Navy. I’m sorry, Ozai, but I don’t love you and my heart belongs to someone else.” She runs back inside to the powder room. She passes by Azulon who was walking along the deck overlooking the garden with Iroh. The flower in her hair lands at Azulon’s feet.

“Iroh, go check on her.”

“Yes, Fire Lord.” Ozai has his head down with clenched fists.

“Let her go, Ozai. I have another plan for you. Hopefully it works out perfectly.” Azulon informs him. Azulon goes back inside, while Ozai burns down the Magnolia tree in anger and heartbreak.


                It takes three years for Azulon to track down the descendants of Avatar Roku, the Avatar before Aang. The fire sages, spiritual figures of the Fire Nation, predicted that a strong line of fire benders will be with the union of the royal family and Roku’s family. Roku was once friends with Fire Lord Sozin, Azulon’s father, until Roku found out that he was the Avatar and Sozin wanted to spread the Fire Nation’s “wealth and prosperity” to the other nations. Roku died tragically when the volcano on the island he lived on erupted. He helped all the citizens escape with Sozin’s help but the volcano was too much and they were too old. He was betrayed by Sozin who left him for dead and Roku perished with his dragon. Soon, Sozin began the Hundred Years War with Sozin’s comet, a comet that comes once every hundred years. He launched the genocide against the air benders in attempt to capture the Avatar before he became a threat. Aang was frozen in an iceberg in the waters of the southern continent for one hundred years however.

Roku had a daughter who married and had a daughter as well, Ursa. When the Fire Lord asks her to marry his son, Ozai, she accepts out of respect. She had to give up her recent engagement to her childhood friend and lover, Ikem. Ozai made her cut all ties to her family and her old life and made her devote her life to being a princess, wife to Ozai and mother to their children. Together they had Zuko in 83AG and a year later, Azula. They feared that Zuko would not be a fire bender because he wasn’t born with a fire bender’s spark in the eyes but he is one. There was no question with Azula.


                Meanwhile, Java was in the Navy as a Yuyan archer who were usually stationed on land and not sea. She became closer and closer to Zhao as the years went on. By 85AG they were married and by 86AG they had a daughter, Re Yan. Java knew she was special since the day she was born. There was no doubt that she would be a bender. Light auburn hair and bright orange eyes; Zhao feels that she will be a great fire bender like himself. Zhao has become exceptionally strong-willed. His fire bending is as sharp as his tactical mind. Jeong Jeong sees his ambition growing more and more every day. He uses fear to control those around him and persuades those that look up to him with charisma. He is hot-headed and lacks self-control. Jeong Jeong feels ashamed that he let him get out of control and doesn’t like how the fire nation is becoming more ruthless in their attempted to control the world and their many failed attempts to find the Avatar. In 89AG, Jeong Jeong deserts the Navy and disappears. He doesn’t even tell Java where he was going.

A year later, Java decides that she wants to return to the fire nation to raise their daughter. Aboard a fire nation navy ship is no place to raise a daughter, especially when both parents are on the job 24/7.  She moves back to the capital city into her father’s old house. He had passed earlier that year. Java believes that is why Jeong Jeong deserted the navy because he knew his brother’s health was deteriorating.  Returning home, she runs into Ursa, Lu Ten, Zuko and Azula. She wonders where Ozai and Iroh are and she tells her that Iroh is gone most of the time, but can’t wait for Lu ten to be old enough and strong enough to fight beside him and “see the world”. She explains that Azulon keeps Ozai busy and when he isn’t, he is conditioning or sparing. Ursa and Java become friends and Re Yan befriends Azula, Zuko and Lu Ten. Java is glad that Ozai found someone as beautiful and smart as Ursa, started a family and have great kids. She is glad that she has her daughter and husband as well. Ozai still keeps his distance from Java and she from him.


 



                Four years later in 94AG, Fire Lord Azulon invites Zhao, Java, Re Yan and General Shu to dinner with his family. Azulon sits at the head of the table with Iroh to his right and Ozai to his left. Lu Ten sits in between Iroh and General Shu. Zhao is inbetween Shu and Java. Ursa is in between Ozai and Zuko while Azula is next to Zuko and Re Yan is next to Azula.

“I have called for this dinner due to the recent accomplishments of Zhao, and a series of unfortunate events recently. You all know that Jeong Jeong has deserted the Navy and Master Sanzo time has passed. However, General Shu has a brilliant junior Lieutenant and Sanzo has a brilliant daughter.” Azulon motions Zhao and Shu to stand. “Junior Lieutenant Zhao, I am promoting you to Lieutenant. I hope your ambition never wavers and more great things will come from your accomplishments.”

“Thank you, Fire Lord Azulon. I will not let you down. I swear I will bring down the Water Tribe. It will fall, my lord.”

“Such a bold statement. The capital of the water tribes hasn’t been touched since the beginning of the war. What makes you so confident? What information have you found?”

                Unknown to Shu or the Fire Lord, while Shu and Zhao were in the Earth Kingdom he came across Wan Shi Tong’s library in the Si Wong Desert. This library was built to preserve all knowledge of the world- mortal and spirit. Knowledge seekers, fox spirits, would gather documents and artifacts to fill the library. Wan Shi Tong, spirit owl, had hoped humans would use the knowledge to connect with their pasts, but the war lead many to come to the library looking for their enemies’ weaknesses.


Zhao, was one of these people. He searched through scroll after scroll, book after book to find a way to rid the world of water benders and find any information on the Avatar’s whereabouts. This is where he learned about the mortal forms of the ocean and moon spirits- Tui and La. Their location- The Spirit Oasis in the water tribe capital city. Before he left, he destroyed the Fire Nation section of the library to prevent anyone from exploiting their weakness aka a Solar Eclipse.



“My lord, only time will reveal. I only ask you now to believe me when I say I stick to my word.”

“Very well then, Lieutenant. I look forward to the day the water tribe falls. For now, General Shu is still in command and you and he will be stationed in the Earth Kingdom as before. Show me you can surpass him, show me you can surpass the heads of the army and navy and someday you will have your own fleet. Maybe, you’ll become admiral of the navy someday too.”

“Thank you, Fire Lord Azulon.” He bows to him and retakes his seat. He motions Java to stand.

“Java, would you follow in your father’s footsteps and accept my offer of becoming the new supervisor over the colonies. You always said that you wanted to see the world and our reach is growing. You will be the head governor and have power over all the colonies and coordinate with me and the other governors. Do you accept this duty?”

“I am honored to fill my father position, Fire Lord Azulon. I accept the responsibility.” She bows to him.

“Very good, my dear.” She sits down. Iroh begins to stand up,

“Father, if I may?”

“Go ahead, son.”

“General Shu and I have had many long discussions and debates, but I feel that it is time that we attack Ba Sing Se on a huge scale. It is time we break through the walls and claim the capital for ourselves. I ask for most of the troops to be under my command and I also request that my son, Lu Ten fight with me.” Clink. Java drops her knife onto her plate and it bounces off to the floor.

“I’m sorry.” She apologizes. Ozai notices a slight shake in her hand.

“Your request is granted, my son. We shall mobilize at once. I trust that you will penetrate both walls and bring down the Earth Kingdom capital. I have a feeling this war will end soon.”

“And all will bow down to you, father.” Ozai proclaims.

“Ozai, it will take a lot more to gain authority over the other nations. Capturing the city is the beginning but how we handle post-war politics will solidify our control. We need their trust more than their fear.” Iroh counters with.

“Spoken like a true general, although fear is a gateway to trust. You have much to learn, Ozai. Like not speaking out of turn and jumping to childish conclusions.” Ozai sits back in his chair. Ursa takes his hand but he swats it away.

“A month from now, The Siege on Ba Sing Se will begin! Cheers my family and friends.” They all raise their glasses as the fire feature in the throne room intensifies it flames.


                After dinner, Azula and Zuko spare but she grows bored since Zuko isn’t as strong as her. She challenges Re Yan, but she doesn’t want to fight.

“Azula, I can’t fire bend.”

“Still? It’s been two year since I saw you last and you’re still a loser.”

“I’m not a loser. I can’t fire bend because I can earth bend!”

“You’re such a liar! You’re of the fire nation, you can’t earth bend.”

“Azula, haven’t you paid attention in school. My great-grandmother was Yuyan ad she was an earth bender!” She sends a tremor through the ground making Azula lose her balance. She makes her fall on her butt by making the ground slide upwards.

                Azulon, Iroh and Java walk and talk. Ozai listens from afar while watching Re Yan and Azula spar.



“I knew about your relationship and I know that you are Lu Ten’s mother. What I don’t understand is why you lied about her dying in childbirth and why you denied him.”

“Forgive me Fire Lord, but I didn’t want to raise a future fire lord and be stuck in the palace for all my life. That is far too grave of a responsibility at a young age. I was scared that I would fail or abandon my child, so I left before he could remember me.”

“I was already thirty-four and had yet to have a child of my own. Java offered to help me and I accepted. I knew I could raise him on my own, father. I knew Java wanted freedom more than anything, but she loved me too as did I.”

“But, with a non-bender. What if Lu Ten was a non-bender? Did you ever assess that risk?”

“Yes, but he is not. Java’s family has strong fire benders. And look, even Re Yan is strong despite being an earth bender.”

“I know what we did wasn’t traditional but things have worked out for the better. I still checked up on him and Ursa was there in my place when I couldn’t be. I’m sorry if I caused any trouble, Fire Lord Azulon.”

“I had always seen you with one of my sons, but it was always Ozai. And yet, you are here with Zhao. Will you tell him about Lu Ten? Will you tell Lu Ten that you are his mother?”

“He’s twenty years old, if he hasn’t wondered about me and believes me to be dead, there is no point. Zhao needn’t know either.”

“As you wish. You two focus on your current duties. You are dismissed.”

                Azulon retires to bed while Zhao takes his family home. Ursa tucks Zuko and Azula in. She heads down the hall and hears Ozai talking to himself. He sits on the edge of the bed with rage-filled eyes and says,


 

 

“That explains it. We couldn’t be together because Lu Ten was your son. Why didn’t you just tell me, Java? Why get angry at me? I loved you, but I guess you loved Iroh more.” He feels betrayed by both of them. Java is with Zhao now and Iroh let her start a new family. Ozai is angry that he is stuck with a wife who will never love him because her heart belongs to Ikem and a son who is weaker than his younger sister while their children are strong and Zhao truly loves Java. Ursa comes into the room as if she heard nothing and kisses him goodnight, but he doesn’t feel her affection. She gets into bed and faces away from him. Eventually, he lies down but the whole night he lays awake. He swears that Azula will surpass them all and he will be stronger than Zhao and Iroh combined.



© 2014 Jasmine S. Edwards


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1348 Views
Added on April 9, 2014
Last Updated on July 26, 2014


Author

Jasmine S. Edwards
Jasmine S. Edwards

Rochester, NY



About
College student who loves to write in my free time :) Always looking for inspiration and a good story to read. I write what comes to my mind or my takes on stories unfinished. My smart phone, a pen a.. more..

Writing