Nostalgia

Nostalgia

A Chapter by BunnyShy

I wasn't prepared for June 15th, the last day of my junior high life. The years were flying by way too fast, and I was flying with them. My whole three years at my junior high were nothing but torture, bliss, and adventure. Isn't it for everyone?
We are thrown into life like little lab rats, following a scientist, creator, or some kind of all knowing being, waiting for a fellow lab rat to screw things up, teaching us "life lessons." We make our way threw this maze of life, facing every obstacle, some quicker than others, growing each and every day. Optimistic right? Some would say 'yes.' Others would disagree without a hint of hesitation. 
That's what junior high was. A long three year maze, full of lab rats, looking for their own way out of the horrid obstacle course. Some of us made it out with no less than a scratch. As for myself, as well as many others, walked out with scars, bruises, and for some, triumph. A new barrier broken! Defeat was not in any 8th graders vocabulary on June 15th. When the final bell rang loud and clear, a victorious weight was lifted off our little shoulders. At the time, the worst part of our lives was finally over. I wish I could say we all walked out with our heads held high in the glorious rays of sunshine, but in Washington State, a visit from the sun is like a letter from your oldest aunt; rare and special. 
We were use to the rain. No one wore hoods or held umbrellas, and we all walked with confidence, ready to never look back at those old grey doors ever again. I still remember the tiny drops falling softly from the sky. It was a good day for our weather. Just as the beautiful mist fell from the sky, so did the painful tears fall from a few eyes. While we were leaving a place considered inches from hell, we were all leaving behind something, or someone. High school was just around the corner, and each and every one of us knew that we weren't all guaranteed the same friends as the years before. Three months of vacation can do a lot to a 14 year old. 
"I'm gonna' miss you, Violet." Ann said, nearly crushing my lungs under her bear-like hug. Ann was my best friend, soon to be states away from Washington in order to attend a private religious camp for the summer. Summers became the hardest part of any school year after I met Ann. I can still feel the hot strings of tears from every last day of school. 
"Its only for a few months," I said, huffing a puffing what little air I had left. "At least we get to go to the same high school together. Not all best friends get to say that." But Ann didnt let go. I can't say I wanted her to. I would gladly let my lungs collapse if it meant holding onto Ann for the rest of at least one summer. We were as close as conjoined twins, without sharing a mother. 
"It feels like every summer gets harder and harder." She said, her face hot and red with tears falling from both cheeks. My heart hurt for her. At least I got to stay home every summer with my family, while Ann had to adapt to a new family of people every summer, miles away from her actual home. I knew I had to be strong for her, for the both of us. 
"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." I snuggled in tighter to her grip. 

It's only a few months. 

She pulled away, both hands firmly on my shoulders, staring me dead in the face with those big green eyes, caked with water proof blue glitter. "You're right." 
She wrapped her backpack around one shoulder, and her duffle bag of gym clothes over the other. I knew she was feeling the need to be strong when she walked off to her fathers van. As she shoved her things to the other side of the seat, she looked back at me one final time, and put up her pinky, gave it a little kiss, and mouthed goodbye. 
Not goodbye, only see you later. 

I held mine up and kissed the tip, and watched her van peal off from the school. My heart felt empty, like an important piece was missing. Someone had separated me and my metaphoric conjoined twin, and I was alone. Alone for what felt like years before a loud, ditsy voice came up behind me. 
"Violet!" It was Ashley.
Id rather be alone.

"Violet!" She called again, her bright orange hair flailing around her eyes as she ran towards me. "What high school are YOU going to?" 
I was afraid to answer, considering we might be going to the same school. I didnt mind Ashley. In fact we were good friends. She just had her way of making everything about her in some way, shape, or form. 
"Mount Tahoma," I said, hoping deep down she'll say anything but 'same!'
"Same!" She gasped. 
It was a nice thought.

Ashley went on babbling about how excited she was to enter high school. Not for education and experience like you'd think. All she had on her mind was finding a new piece to add to her boy toy collection. Ashley was my friend, but I must say, she was pretty outrageous for a 14 year old. I zoned out, making out only bits and pieces of Ashley's long and dreadful conversation. After saying goodbye to Ann, I wasn't in much of a talking mood. 
I sat on one of the large cinder blocks just outside the parking lot, waiting for my mother to come and pick me up, and take me to the house I'd be spending most of my summer vacation in. Of course, Ashley followed. As she carried on about God knows what, I reached into my bag. After crying so much about Ann, my mouth felt like a dying desert. 
"Violet!!!"
Ashleys loud and obnoxious scream gave me such a jump, I sent my water bottle flying. I groaned loud enough so she could hear me as I gave her such a deadly stare. I loved her, but damn, can't a girl in grief get a break? I got up to check where I launched it, and thats when I saw Him

Him. Standing only a few feet away, across the courtyard of the school, tall and lengthy, with dusty brown hair nearly covering his eyes, draping down to his shoulders. I felt an over whelming feeling of...What was I feeling? I have never felt this way before. Like a million zoo creatures were released into my stomach, and thousands of bees swarmed into my head. I felt nauseous and insanely excited at the same time. I couldn't look away. 
"Violet! Were you even listening to a thing I said?" 
I was well aware of Ashley, still sitting next to me on the cinder block, but I couldn't pull away. Something about Him made my bones ache with pleasure, a pleasure so intense, I nearly vomited when he finally caught my gawking at him. I fell back onto the cinder block, still not being able to break away, even when he broke his gaze with me. 
Who is he?

Ashley must have finally caught up with the rest of my world and chimed in. 
"Oh, Violet found some high school eye candy. Think he goes to the same school?"
I finally broke free from Him, and stared her dead in the face. 
Him? Go to the same school as us? As me?

My face must have said it all, because all Ashley could do was fall out laughing her loud obnoxious laugh. It made my face hot, hoping her loud snorts wouldn't give my presence away to the mysterious boy. I gave her a loud sh with a violet finger going over my lips. 
"He might hear you!" I loudly whispered to her, giving the most intimidating look I could give, but she wouldn't budge. Ashley and subtle were not good friends. Barely even acquaintances. 
"Mr. Doom and gloom isn't going to hear me, he has his headphones in." She said, directly pointing at him. I gave her arm a slight shove back to her side as I glanced back in his direction. She was right. Coming down from that long, desirable hair were two white wires going into his pocket.
I wonder what he's listening to...

"I don't know about you, but I think his friends are much more intriguing." She said, tucking a long orange strand behind her ear. 
Friends?

Ashley was right once again. I was so caught up in gawking at him, I didn't even notice he had company with him. He stood amongst four others, each one looking a little older than him, and much older than me. Ashley was on a roll today, because there was no question about where they had come from. 
The high school closed about an hour before the junior high, so they must have come from there.
Which high school?

"I wonder what school they came from." Ashley said aloud. Was Ashley reading my mind today?
A loud car horn came from the drive way to the parking lot, and just in time. It was my mother, only for the first time ever, since I started junior high three years ago, I didnt want to leave. I wanted to sit there forever and think about everything and anything that had to do with my mystery boy. 
She honked again, and at the risk of being embarrassed by my mother on the last day of school, i slung my backpack over my shoulder, said goodbye to Ashley, and walked to my mothers car. Just as Ann did before me, I shoved my backpack to the far seat, and looked back one final time, only this time, I caught his gaze in return, and an icy cold finger seemed to trace down my spine. 
Dear God, who is he?


© 2016 BunnyShy


Author's Note

BunnyShy
Feedback is more than welcomed. If negative, please give a new writer some helpful tips.

Thanks for reading!! <3

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love theway in which you described the school as a maze of lab rats - that's definately a new spin on it.
Your dialogue skills are good - instead of just sayin he said/she said - you follow it up with some form of appropraite action.

It flowed really well, sentence structuring was good - not to long or short - just right.

The story was good and I shall be reading more - reminds me alot of my last day at school.

The other thing which you have done correctly is when the name Violet is being shouted - you have used the exclamation mark appropriately, instead of capital letters (which is wrong).

Kudos to you on a good piece.

Mark.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 18, 2016
Last Updated on December 18, 2016
Tags: chapter 1, chapter one, romance, first, beginning, first chapter, love, him, love at first sight, butterflies, need, drama, love story, relationships, high school, start


Author

BunnyShy
BunnyShy

WA



About
Hello c: My name is Shy, and I am an aspiring writer looking for some feedback on m latest ideas. Please feel free to leave any feedback, negative or positive, and some helpful tips to a fellow be.. more..

Writing