Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Silver Tree

Calypso’s alarm clock seemed to blare through the house. Poking her head out she gave it her best death glare, but it wasn’t intimidated. Trying to keep as much of her body beneath the warm blankets, Calypso made multiple attempts before succeeding in turning it off. Lying face down in her pillow Calypso considered staying in bed. Trying to brush off what she’d just encountered. Her relatives wouldn’t mind if she got an extra hour or two of sleep, would they? With a groan Calypso threw off her covers and hurried to her closet. She didn’t live where it snowed, small blessings, but it was still cold enough in the mornings that she wore a long-sleeved shirt and wool pants. After grabbing the first things she saw Calypso rushed to the bathroom, she only cared about getting into a warm shower.

 

Fifteen minutes later, Calypso was combing out her chest length brown hair. Tying it into a ponytail , except for a few strands she braided and let frame her face. Then she dressed in a black and white skirt that stopped at her ankles. Pairing it with a white blouse that tapered at the elbows, then flared out. Calypso started to put on makeup but decided she didn’t have time. Grabbing her car keys, purse, and a sweater she hurriedly pulled on her heeled boots and shot out the door. Calypso wasn’t anxious to join in the throng of holiday shoppers, but knew a doomsday preparer didn’t have the resources to keep Alrik fed.  Already the bill for this holiday season was bringing tears to Calypso’s eyes. She got into her jeep and waited until the heat finally kicked in before backing out of her driveway. An image of a full yard and decorations entered her mind and she let out a deep sigh before driving off.

 

When Calypso first headed to the local grocery store, she had every intention of getting in and out as fast as possible. Pulling into the parking lot she saw that was going to be an impossible dream. She spent ten minutes looking for a parking spot, once she was out she spent what seemed like an eternity dodging cars and shoppers, until she was finally inside. Taking a shopping cart, Calypso filled it to the brim with turkey, ham, eggnog, fruit, pork, and cookies. Just as she was heading to checkout line she bumped into another person’s cart. And it had to be Adrianne Patterson. The look on Adrianne’s face said she wasn’t any more pleased about running into Calypso. She made a show of looking over Calypso’s cart, while blocking the way, then grunted loudly.

“Oh great, there’s going to be more than one freak next door” she muttered.

“We can always move the party to your church” Calypso replied with the biggest smile she could muster.

Adrianne moved off quickly, but not before sneering once more in Calypso’s direction. She sighed. Once again getting the feeling that Adrianne didn’t know, or actually care, what Calypso practiced. Then, Mr. Patterson came ambling by. He was an awkward man who didn’t seem to know what to do with his 5’11 height. He waved slightly and pushed up his glasses before moving on. Calypso returned the wave, wondering what Mr. Patterson saw in the supermodel wannabe Adrianne.

 

After the supermarket nightmare was over Calypso headed to an occult shop run by some friends. Walking in she was greeted by a quick wave as Annie ducked into her office. As Calypso looked around she saw that even the small shop hadn’t survived the holiday rush. Luckily enough there were fresh wreaths still around and she could still pretend her ‘helpful’ guides had given her plenty of warning. She brought one for the door, deciding on one with silver bells and red ribbons instead of one with a pentagram in the middle. There was just too much debauchery that could be done with it. As the scenarios were running through her head Annie appeared beside her. Fighting back a curse Calypso put on a friendly smile. Shorter than Calypso, which she hadn’t believed anyone could be since she was barely 5’2, Annie sported a mop of messy blonde hair and was bundled up in large , white sweater that fell to her knees.

“You don’t normally buy decorations. What’s the occasion?” she asked in a mousey voice.

“I’m getting visitors” Calypso answered.

Annie chewed on a strand of her hair thoughtfully, then her face lit up mischievously and she whispered, “How about getting mistletoe? That’s always fun and it’s a good distraction if you don’t want to decorate. And knowing you, Calypso, you don’t”.

She wanted to answer with some smart a*s remark, but Annie was right.  Calypso gave a resigned shrug and Annie bounded off to find some wayward mistletoe. Slipping around on her knee-length, multicolored socks.

 

Calypso was idly walking the aisle when Annie returned with mistletoe and an armful of candles, varying in size. She wanted to say it wasn’t necessary but the enthusiastic look on Annie’s face stopped her. Calypso just smiled and prepared herself for a ramen diet next year. Before Annie got any more ideas Calypso motioned towards the cash register. She stuck out her tongue and turned, still balancing everything. They exchanged small talk as the items were rung up and put in a plain tote bag. When the door banged against the wall they both jumped, looking to see a man smiling slightly, embarrassed.

“Dad! How many times do we have to say stop doing that?” Annie huffed.

Her father shrugged and closed the door behind him. He wore a black trench coat, a winter hat, regular slacks, and combat boots but he was more average than a passerby would assume. It wasn’t his fault for having questionable tastes. His blue eyes glittered with repressed joy at scaring them.

“Good to see you, Calypso. Holiday shopping?” he asked, sounding intrigued.

Calypso mimicked his nonchalant shrug.

“It would seem so. I guess a box of berries won’t cut it this year” she sighed, being much more dramatic than she needed to.

Taking her bag from Annie she said, “It was good to see you, Annie. Bye, Jack, take it easy on the door” before leaving.

 

Finally Calypso headed home. On the way there she stopped by the park and walked along the trails until she found a suitable log. She also gathered some pine cones, feathers, and berries she could dry out. More than once she got strange looks from joggers and couples out for a stroll. The child in her wanted to dance around trees, just for the reactions and the possibility of being an online celebrity, but she had things to do. They’d have to find their Wiccan sideshow somewhere else. Putting things as neatly as she could Calypso left the park. Once she was home she spent the rest of the day cooking, cleaning (knowing things were bound to be broken), and decorating, or at least her version of it. Which meant she spread out the furniture, a long couch and a love seat, to give the illusion of more space being taken up. Then she set up the smaller candles as a centerpiece for the coffee table. Finishing up by placing two large candles in the front windows and hanging the wreath. Checking that off her list, Calypso threw herself into the real task of cooking. Expecting any second to hear the bell ring.



© 2013 Silver Tree


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

118 Views
Added on March 27, 2013
Last Updated on March 28, 2013


Author

Silver Tree
Silver Tree

Tallahassee, FL



About
I'm twenty-two years old and I was born in Brooklyn, New York. I've been writing poetry and short stories consistently for over a year, after a self-imposed hiatus. I try my hand at everything from fa.. more..

Writing
Go Away Go Away

A Poem by Silver Tree