A Better Way

A Better Way

A Chapter by Persona

All Craig had access to were melee weapons. He loved using them, getting up close and personal when killing the enemy, yet these items weren’t going to cut it. He couldn’t run at a Zenacog and think he would be able to slice them up �" the Zenacog would get him first �" all it had to do was aim and shoot.      

He glanced around the room, looking for a gun, a bow, anything where he could harm long distance. Though Zenacogs had great eyesight �" they were true predators and if he even got a hair in the window frame, he’d be a goner.                             

No, he couldn’t think of himself anymore. He and Stacy were sitting ducks. Letting Villany tackle them alone wasn’t going to be a smart move. There were at least a hundred out there and once they got her, they’d come back for Craig and Stacy. Besides, wasn’t he as bad as them if he let Villany get killed? Wouldn’t it somehow count as murdering his only real friend?                                   

His eyebrows furrowed together, concentrating. He crawled along the floor, spotting a bow and arrow at the other side of the room. The bow itself was wooden, carved from an old oak tree, the bow, metal, a shade of ruby red.                                      

He clutched the red arrow in one hand, the bow in the other. He knew it would take down many enemies �" the point on the arrow extremely sharp �" like a shark’s tooth.       

Craig only had one arrow, but he knew exactly which kind it was. If he shot it, it would divide into twenty different arrows and aim in all directions, seeking out the first warm-blooded creatures they could find.  “What are you doing?” Stacy whispered, her usual soothing voice had an edge to it.                            

“I’m going to get them. With this,” he held the arrow up, but so it was still out of the window’s frame.  He beamed at the arrow. He could help Villany but from the safety of the shed.                              

“With one arrow?”               

“It becomes twenty arrows. You’ll see.” He raised his eyebrows; crawling back to the wall where Stacy kneeled.                                    

 As he got by the window, Craig put the bow in the arrow, pulling it back. Stacy put her hand on his arm, stroking it with her soft, ivory skin.                                     

Her touch sent a tingle through his system, a surge of electricity through his spine. He didn’t want to look at her though, he’d lose his strength. He was already shaking as his hand held the arrow back and he wanted to be able to concentrate. All he had to do was aim at an isolated Zenacog. He knew his only issue was one spotting him and getting him first, but he had to push that fear aside, or else he’d never do a thing.                       

Stacy removed her ivory hand from his green one, placing it on his cheek, “There’s a better way.”

“What way is that?” He turned to ask, but in that moment a flare came their way. Craig heard a shot, which didn’t sound like it went off to the East toward Villany. Looking up, the red orb flew at them. He grabbed on to Stacy and they rolled across to the other side as the flare broke the window and started a fire within the shed.            

Pinned down by Craig, Stacy piped, “This way.” She grabbed his face and pulled his lilac lips down to her plump pink ones. The subtly of her lips caressing his as they brushed sent endorphins pumping through his system. It made him jump up and hold his arrow steady, looking directly at a Zenacog.                      

Craig noticed how it held the flare gun �" and therefore it must’ve been the one that shot at the shed. Craig focused, slowly pulling the arrow back, his arm aching from the tension, so quickly raised it into the air. He released it, watching it fly up into the sky and directly back down, dividing. All the red arrows split, one aiming for the first attacking Zenacog, the other nineteen racing down the hill, in Villany’s direction.     

Lowering the bow, Craig looked around the half destroyed shed for more weapons, yet only discovered more debris from the shed.                      

Long bits of wood were scattered along the floor, along with glass shards.           

He picked one up, the only item to save him and sweet Stacy.         

She leant up, still on the shed’s floor, “Now what are we going to do?”                              

Craig knelt down opposite her, placing his hands on both her legs, “We’re going to save Villany.”  



© 2012 Persona


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I've read to chapters and this is very good. You have been read in the contest

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

333 Views
1 Review
Added on March 21, 2012
Last Updated on March 21, 2012
Tags: arrow, shot, shed, crawl, predators, tackle, murder, broke, destroyed


Author

Persona
Persona

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom



About
I really appreciate people who review and will happily return the favour. Look at 'Make a Move' as I am primarily a story writer. I give honest reviews because I want to help people improve their w.. more..

Writing
Make a Move Make a Move

A Story by Persona