Fly!

Fly!

A Story by Sharon Kim
"

A young ostrich learns to appreciate herself for who she is.

"

Learning to Fly!

 

The morning sun came up over the waving grasslands of the savannah.   Olivia, a small ostrich chick raised her head and peered over the edge of the shallow nest she was laying in.  Her large eyes grew round as donuts as she took in the sights.

“Out you go my little chicks,” Mama gently nudged her children.  Olivia stood up carefully on two, tall skinny legs and took small steps forward.  Then she tripped and fell.  OOommph!

“Olivia, Are you okay?” Oscar asked his sister.

With a sigh she replied, “I’m fine, thank you.”  She stood and followed her brothers and sisters out of the nest.

The young chicks played tag and raced across the open land, stretching out their fluffy wings.  Nearby a herd of rhinos grazed. 

Percy Oxpecker looked up from his perch on a rhino’s back.  “Look at those silly birds, Penny.  They can’t even fly!”

“And look at those funny, long legs!”  Penny replied with a laugh.  “I’m not sure how they can call themselves birds!”  She went back to pecking at the patient rhino’s back.

As the two birds spoke, Olivia stopped running and her brother tagged her.  “You’re it!” he shouted happily.

Olivia’s head hung down.  “I’m sorry, Oscar.  I don’t feel much like playing.”  Olivia had heard everything that the oxpeckers had said and she was feeling pretty glum about it. 

She walked slowly over to her nest, climbed in and put her head on the ground.

“Did you see that, Penny?  That ostrich stuck her head in the sand!  Does she think that we can’t see her now?!?!   Ha Ha Ha!”  Percy launched himself in the air and flew in a lazy circle until Penny joined him.

 

Olivia followed them with her eyes and sighed loudly.

“What’s the matter, dear?”  Olivia’s mother put her head close to her daughter’s.

“Mama?  We’re birds, right??”

Mama laughed gently.  “Yes.  We are birds.”  Mama smoothed Olivia’s feathers with her beak.  “See your beautiful feathers?  All birds have feathers.”

“Can I fly?”

“No, Olivia.  Ostriches can’t fly.  We are too large. After all, we are the biggest birds on Earth.”  Mama said proudly, puffing out her chest.

“If I can’t fly, then why do I have these big wings?”  Olivia asked spreading out one of her wings.

“Well, your wings give you balance as you run and,” Mama lifted her wing over Olivia, “they can make shade.”    Instantly, Olivia felt cooler as the shadow covered her body.

“And look at my legs,” Olivia sat up and stuck out her leg.  “They’re too long!”

“Your long legs are what help you run really fast. When you are as big as me, you will be able to run as fast as a zebra!”  Mama smiled encouragingly.  “And if a lion gets too close, you can kick him with your powerful legs.”

 “My neck is too long…”

“Thank goodness for that!  Because it is so long you can stretch way down to eat delicious roots and seeds or yummy flowers and shrubs.”

“And… my eyes are way too big!  They are humongous!’  Olivia widened her eyes at her mother.  “See!” she demanded.

“They are large.  In fact, no animal on land has larger eyes.”  Mama paused.  “Can you imagine why you might have such big eyes?”

“Nooo…”

“They give you great eye sight to help you spot a lion before it gets too close.”  Mama nodded wisely, “You are lucky to have such wonderful eyes!”

Mama saw Olivia looking up at the oxpeckers flying overhead.  “Olivia, don’t spend time making yourself sad over something that you are not and will never be.  And you shouldn’t listen to unfriendly words from others.  Just believe in yourself because, there are so many wonderful, unique things about you that make you special.  Be happy with what YOU are and be proud of what YOU can do. ”

Olivia was starting to feel better.  “Thanks, Mama.  I’ll try.”  Olivia touched her cheek to Mama’s cheek.  She stood up and called, “You better run, Oscar!  I’m going to catch you!”

Olivia spread her wings, and stretching her long legs, she chased after her brother.  As the wind streamed past her, in her own way, Olivia flew.

 

© 2013 Sharon Kim


Author's Note

Sharon Kim
I did not go into a lot of description because I see this as a picture book. Is it too preachy? All constructive feedback welcome! Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What a wonderful story Sharon. I am so sorry it took me this long to read it. It's educational, beautifully written and the message is clear. What a terrific story for children.
You have asked if it too preachy, Sharon? As far as I am concerned it is just right. I love the way you have connected with the reader.
Great job.
Thank you
Leo

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sharon Kim

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Leo!! I'm so happy that you read it. I appreciate your comments! :)
Leonard Birch

10 Years Ago

My pleasure Sharon :)



Reviews

This is a very nice story, I think we need more stories like this for kids to read and grow up with, perhaps even more children shows with stories like this. I love the message within the story, we shouldn't be sad for what we can never be but find things to be thankful for and to do our best with our own ability and try not to be like those who put others down.

Great Job

Posted 9 Years Ago


Sharon Kim

9 Years Ago

Thank you for reading! I agree with you-kids today need more positive messages!
~*~Peace Keeper~*~

9 Years Ago

You're welcome, and indeed they do, I get sick and tired seeing these dumb shows on T.V with no real.. read more
well this is just great...I almost feel guilty by writing Omar now.

A story made for a picture book.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sharon Kim

10 Years Ago

Thank you! I think Omar and Olivia are two peas in a pod! (Clearly we both felt ostriches need a l.. read more
Dr. Wood ?

10 Years Ago

yeah. the similarities are eerie
What a wonderful story Sharon. I am so sorry it took me this long to read it. It's educational, beautifully written and the message is clear. What a terrific story for children.
You have asked if it too preachy, Sharon? As far as I am concerned it is just right. I love the way you have connected with the reader.
Great job.
Thank you
Leo

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sharon Kim

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Leo!! I'm so happy that you read it. I appreciate your comments! :)
Leonard Birch

10 Years Ago

My pleasure Sharon :)
I really enjoyed this! Why?
1. The first few sentences drew me right in...I wanted to read on. Description was right on!
2. Love the educational aspects of the story for children ( I even learned a few things too!)
3. Has a timeless message for children. Love of self, love of family.
4. Well written, that is...I feel it can run with the picture books currently being published ( Okay, not a professional opinion as I am not an editor, but I read and study a lot of fiction for children) This is a fresh idea (ostrich and oxpeckers, what fun!)


5. I feel like less is more, every word should be geared toward moving the story along only. So, maybe it could be looked at with those eyes. Once again only my opinion.
6.You mentioned being worried about sounding "preachy" From what I have researched on childrens picture books, editors love "preachy" but without the book SOUNDING "preachy". UGH.guess its a fine line.

Just a really fresh idea and sweet story. Have you sent it out to a publisher yet? I think with some editing you should if you haven't yet.

Thanks for reading my rooster story. I have not sent it out yet because I feel it still needs more editing. Rhyme is so hard to do, and do correctly! I really enjoy rhyme though.
Just this past month I have entered 2 childrens book manuscripts to a writing contest (heard this was a good place to start) and am currently working on cover letters for 2 more manuscripts, all childrens books. I am a beginner-writer, but I have have a lot of passion for childrens writing.

I look forward to reading more of your work, and receiving your feedback on mine :)
Barb

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sharon Kim

10 Years Ago

Barb,
Thank you so much! You really made my night! I did send it to a publisher a little les.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

313 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 6, 2013
Last Updated on July 28, 2013
Tags: children, animal story, picture book

Author

Sharon Kim
Sharon Kim

Methuen, MA



Writing
Shy Shy

A Poem by Sharon Kim


Bang! Bang!

A Story by Sharon Kim