When the World was Eaten

When the World was Eaten

A Poem by Spencer Bridges
"

A poem I wrote inspired by Yeats' poem, The Second Coming.

"
The hills were quite when it took it's first step. When this step hit the earth it made no sound, but it held the impact of an asteroid. When it took it's second step the earth trembled the slightest bit. The third step created a rhythm that yelled across the night fields. The fields attempted to yell back, but were flattened by Fear. It continued to step, flattening everything in it's way. The skyline ahead of it quivered in anticipation. The trees tried to run but were overtaken in one step. In it's next step it turned the mountains to dust. It swallowed the dust and moved on, leaving the flat horizon behind. As it pursued the land a small fire could be seen rising in the distance. The fire in the sky continued to rise, illuminating the figure of Fear against the backdrop of flattened earth left behind. Fear quickened it's steps. The rhythm was now throbbing loud and quick, like the beat of a thousand hearts in sync. It reached the fire in the sky and stopped. The rhythm hushed and the air was sucked from the sky. The anticipation lasted but a moment before Fear exhaled, blowing the fire out of the sky, and out of existence. Then it continued on it's way until the earth was no longer the earth but rather, a sphere of Fear.

© 2012 Spencer Bridges


Author's Note

Spencer Bridges
Weird little poem, whatdya think? Any critisism is appreciated!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I once read that every emotion stems from either fear or love. That's why I recognize this poem a description of one of the most basic emotions ever. I like how this poem brings up how fear appears to destroy the world. Fear, as a character, is also an interesting concept, although when I saw that "fear" was capitalized like that, I immediately thought that God was the character, and the poem took on an amazing turn, even thought that probably isn't the case. :P I like that rhyme at the end by the way. The poem seems very well thought out and is definitely very symbolic, reminding me slightly of the book of revelation. Pretty amazing.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 25, 2012
Last Updated on January 25, 2012
Tags: spencer bridges, poem, when the world was eaten, yeats, who me?