Irritance.

Irritance.

A Chapter by Steven Wolfethorne

Chp.2
       Samantha tried her best to forget about her encounter with Orion earlier that day.  Nothing in this world disgusted her more than him.  He seemed very unhygienic for a kid born completely into privilege.  His hair was usually madly unkempt, he often smelled like a person who had just run a 10k and hadn’t showered for a week, and due to his supposed strict vegan diet his breath often reeked like rotted lettuce and soap.  None of this stopped him from making underhanded and creepy advanced towards her throughout the day.  Sam was unfortunately the type of girl he always seemed to target alone: five foot five, slender, pale skin, dyed black and crimson long hair.  Generally she dressed in combat boots, torn fishnet leggings, a punk style tattered skirt with a studded leather belt, also donning a Siouxsie and the Banshees shirt typically.  She often wore her dyed black and purple hair tied back in pig tails to keep in from falling in front of her glasses throughout the day.  Her melancholy demeanor led many people around school to believe she was chronically depressed all of the time, but in reality she was content being in her own world during the course of the school day, and even afterwards.
        
       Between classes she loved to write the musings and notions of her mind in poems and short tales or just sketch art on her own.  Rarely would you find her without a notebook or sketchbook in hand.  She had friends at school, but liked to be alone most of the time anyway.  She found things to be “easier” that way.  With the mass convolution of different social cliques and sometimes incompatible personalities, she always felt that it was much simpler to just be a loner a lot of the time.  Today, that wasn’t so easy.  She had a tail on her most of the afternoon.  Orion had been following her around the school since lunch unbeknownst to her.  She had found a nice quiet spot alone in the school’s library and starting to drift off into a nap when he approached her.  Sam had been seated on the floor, her bat shaped fake-leather backpack placed beside her, and leaned back against a wall sized bookshelf.  His voice pierced her ears and she quickly awoke.  This made her quite angry; she thought she had lost him in here amidst the tall pillars of shelves and various books of academia.  
     
       “Hey.”, he simply said.  His voice always seemed devoid of much emotion.  It was so monotone most of the time that she often mused that he was the byproduct of his father’s company and had been created in a laboratory or something along those lines.  Though she did not want to acknowledge his presence there, she knew she couldn’t just sit there pretending to be asleep and efficiently ignore him.  Due to his known and creepy advances toward other girls in the school, Sam didn’t not trust Craig at all.  Oddly, she was the only senior in school that he ever bothered anymore.  His flock was generally the freshmen; there was even a rumor that he had pestered even an 8th grade student transferring schools one.  She was afraid that if she were to just stay there, he’d take advantage of the fact she seemed out cold and attempt to snuggle up with her thinking she would not remember.

       “Hmmph”, she grunted, standing up and trying to move past him.  “God I hate this f*****g prick.  Each and every day the same thing.  Guys like this are always the same, they end up dejected drunks with ten kids, an ugly wife, and life full of debt…f**k off for once…”, she thought to herself.  Often times, thoughts like this permeated her mind whenever he was near.  Instead of letting her pass however, he pushed out his right arm into the shelf behind her, forcing her to stay there.  Samantha did not like this at all.

       “I said hello”.  Orion had a way of piercing into someone’s soul with his unflinching glare.  Whenever he spoke to people he gave this odd, wide eyed look and never seemed to blink.  This was about as strange to her as his tendency to purchase women’s makeup products and use them in order to appear younger, even though he was 17.  She didn’t like this situation.  Her heart rate sped up, her palms started to feel cold and clammy, not to mention that she had balled her right hand up into a tight fist.
      
      “What the f**k do you want?”  Her tone was blank and unamused.  Sam was literally about to punch him in the face as hard as she possibly could and walk out if it came to that.

       “I wanted to know if you’re still seeing that…Chris guy.”  His jealousy preceded him.  The only reason he even knew they were dating was more than likely from stalking their each and every move throughout the school day.  Neither of them had said a word about to many people.  To them, school was akin to a Petri dish of drama and gossip, worse than those magazines you can buy by the checkout counters in stores that seem to babble on and on about the lives of celebrities.  The two wanted to avoid that as much as she wanted to avoid being this close to Orion for even another second.

       “You know what, you f*****g prick, I am seriously d-“, her sentence was cut off but the sound of a book coming out of nowhere and slamming her square in the back of the head.  He reeled back in pain, removing his hand from the shelf to reach for the point of impact on his head while bending down to pick up what he had just been struck with.  She broke free from being pushed up against the shelf and moved away from him, although she was confused as to what had just happened.

      “You owe me one!” she heard this yelled from the distance, something that obviously doesn’t happen much in a library.  She scanned the room, for moment seeing nothing but now disgruntled students staring at the both of them until she the familiar reddish hair of Chris’s best friend Jonathon heading for the exit, his familiar skateboard strapped to his backpack being a dead giveaway to her.  A smirk over took her face as she started to walk away now in a much better, and more amused mood.  Samantha made a mental note to catch up with him after school to thank him for that.  She glanced back at a now embarrassed and angered Orion who was holding in his hands the book had been struck with: a copy of the King James Bible.  “Hm, so ironic”, she thought to herself as she left the library and instead went to seek out Chris as the end bell rang.


© 2013 Steven Wolfethorne


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

566 Views
Added on December 17, 2013
Last Updated on December 17, 2013


Author

Steven Wolfethorne
Steven Wolfethorne

Las Vegas, NV



About
Hello there, I'm Steve. I enjoy writing very much, and used to post my literature on DeviantArt, however I wasn't receiving the feedback I desired from my writings. People there enjoyed my visual ra.. more..

Writing