Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by SuikyuuBr0

"Thanks for your patronage," said Honoori Vilmont, bowing to an old couple as they exited Magnolia Apothecary. The taudry doorbell slammed against the weather beaten wooden door as gravity pulled it closed. He rolled his shoulders, adjusting his posture as he returned to work, sweeping the cluttered floorspace.

Hundreds of jars and vials brimming with strange powders, tea leaves, liquids, and thick, foul-smelling unctions lined the apothecary's shelves, giving the shop a permanent soured-milk stench most customers detested. Shelves were tightly packed from top to bottom and front to back. Each held something for most every day ails: calendula to soothe minor burns; powdered ginger root for upset stomachs; and nonsensical concoctions so experimental in nature, approval by proper channels was unlikely. Still, master herbalist, Amal Rasharan, insisted upon keeping his unique concoctions in stock. Earthworm liquor, sun-dried wolves' tongue jerky, and what Honoori suspected to be urine occupied the uppermost shelves, well out of reach of careless apprentices. 

Crash!

"He's gonna hang me. Not again..." Honoori groaned as the end of his broom upset a box containing vials of lavender oil. The sweet floral aroma of the oil mingled with the apothecary's permanent soured-milk perfume, leaving Honoori feeling light-headed. He dashed behind the till to rummage for cleaning supplies, expecting to hear Master Rasharan's heavy footsteps stomping above him.

"Again?" The healer's baritone voice carried through the two storied building as he spoke from the study.  

"Gotta find something. Not good--not good!" Honoori fumbled through the linens, grasping for anything to mop the oil slick spreading on the scratched wooden floor. Master Rasharan's heavy footsteps pounded the floor from above, sending dust showering down from the ceiling. 

Master Rasharan descended the stairs. Hoonori's pulse quickened as he found ratty old washcloths at the bottom of the linen pile. 

"Not good--not good." Honoori panicked again.

As he spread the cloths across the mess, he stepped in the oily mess. He fell, crashing to the floor, not registering pain or that he'd fallen. As he tried to right himself, shards of glass tore through the flesh of his right palm.

"Damn," he cursed, gazing at the jagged wound. Blood welled up from its jagged eye, running down his fingertips like crimson teardrops, dripping onto the floor. 

"What did you break this time?" said Master Rasharan, his eyes scanning the room.

"S-so sorry, sir...I, err, was careless again. Uh--I'll clean it as soon as I--" said Honoori, rattling off his defense. His breathing quickened as he prepared for a scolding.

"Whoa--calm down.It's not the end of the world," said Master Rasharan, his steely gaze softening. "You've done a number to your hand. Don't move because you're getting blood everywhere. Customers might think I've murdered my apprentice. Apply pressure with this while I get some supplies to fix you up."

The herbalist hummed a calming melody to himself as he glanced at the mess on his floor and to his protege. Honoori's white work apron was soaked through with bright red splotches, like a particularly sloppy painter had upset their easel.  Master Rasharan rummaged through his supplies, pulling out gauze, a small pair of silver tweezers, bandages, a glass bottle of disinfectant solution, and supplies needed to set up his work station.  

"Hold out your hand," he said, dipping the tweezers into a small bowl of cleaning solution. With deft precision, he tugged out the glass shards, dropping them into a metal basin. He pulled Honoori's bloodied hand over the basin. Large drops of blood splattered into the basin. "This part may sting a bit."

Before Honoori reacted in protest, Master Rasharan poured solution into the wound. Honoori clenched his uninjured fist, crying out as liquid fire washed over his palm. "Understatement," said Honoori, moaning as the stinging continued.

"Apply pressure," said Master Rasharan, unfazed, as he cut a large square piece of gauze. 

"You could've warned me, you know," said Honoori through a scowl.

"I said it would sting a bit," said Amal as he prepared bandages, "perhaps I underestimated your pain tolerance. Anyway, you're almost a man now--eighteen in two weeks--so it's nothing you can't handle." 

While Honoori applied pressure to the bandage, Master Rasharan sprinkled an oil absorbing starch to the mess on his shop floor, sweeping it up with quick precision. 

"Seems the bleeding has stopped," said Master Rasharan peering into the wound. I don't think it'll need stitches, but we'll want to keep the wound cleaned and dressed for the next few days until it scabs over." 

Master Rasharan wrapped Honoori's right hand quickly with a bandage.

"Thank you, sir," he pleaded. "I'll be more careful." Master Rasharan raised his eyebrows, creating a deep crease in his forehead. "Really, I will."   

"Go home--relax tonight; come back tomorrow morning so I can check your wound for infection."

"There's still an hour to go."

"You're dismissed for today--now go along," he smiled, "you've injured yourself, and it'll only reopen your wounds if I make you work." 

    Honoori bolted from the shop, the jingling bell tapping against the wooden door. He looked back at Magnolia's quaint storefront, face burning hot as he raced down the brick road, leading toward city center.  

"You're earlier than normal." said Gunner in a bored, monotonous sort of tone as he peeked his head out from Hobble Knob's Western Tower. Honoori jumped, feeling his heart slam into his ribs. He scowled at the portly man donning the Royal Sentries' traditional blue garb, and spoke. 

"Yeah, I've hurt myself." Honoori held up his bandaged hand.

"Well, err--you'll want to rest up. You'd best get on home then."

"Heading there now," said Honoori.

Gunner bowed to Honoori, the blue beret of his garb nearly falling from his head in the process. Honoori stifled a laugh as Gunner placed it back on his balding head, but he returned an obligatory bow of his own.

Honoori sauntered along the perimeter the bulwark protecting Hobble Knob from the outside world. He scuffed the soles of his boots on the cobblestone road, kicking at fallen leaves as he walked slowly, shutting out his surroundings. "Master Rasharan didn't scold me today, though I made a mess again." He scratched his scalp, irritated by his own clumsiness. 

As Honoori approached the East Gate, another sentry stood guard. He stood with his chest puffed out, posture rigid as statue. 

"Mr. Vilmonte--you're going home an hour earlier than normal," he said. "Are you unwell?"

"I've only injured myself--it's not a big deal," Honoori replied. "You all must be so bored if you're making small talk with me over leaving work an hour early," Honoori thought, feeling pent up frustration as continued home.



© 2022 SuikyuuBr0


Author's Note

SuikyuuBr0
Revisions in progress. There are going to be rough patches--you've been warned. General feedback would be appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Still invested and cannot wait to read more, but I might consider putting the thoughts in italics? Just so it reads as separate from the spoken words. I know you said Honoori thought after it but I might just keep that in mind? Just try it and see how you like it after.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Well, you did ask for comment, so you have only yourself to blame for this. But before I begin, a disclaimer: Nothing I’m about to say has bearing on your talent or how well you write. And the realities of your profession are to partly blame.
- - - - - - -
In this, from start to finish, it’s a transcription of you, talking to an audience, as a verbal storyteller—explaining and informing, as the one and only person on stage.

But, can that work? Verbal storytelling is a performance art. HOW you tell the story matters as much as what you say, because your performance replaces that of the actors in a film. But…does the reader know where you would change expression; what gestures you would use; your body language; where you whisper and where you shout? All they have is a storyteller’s script, minus all the background and setting data, and performance notes.

In other words, you cannot use the techniques of one medium in another. It’s a trap that about half the hopeful writers fall into. The other half presents what amounts as a report. That can't work, either.

But there’s another trap we fall into: The author has total knowledge of who we are, where we are, and what’s going on BEFORE they read the first word. Thus, when you open with “"Thanks for your patronage," said Honoori Vilmont, bowing to an old couple as they exited Magnolia Apothecary,” In your mind, you hold an image of the man, his customers, and the shop. You know the country we're located in, the area's appearance, and, the life history of our protagonist. So for you, as you read the line, it points to images of the place, the dress of the people, and even the scent of the store—plus your intent for how the words are to be taken…all held within your mind and waiting to be evoked.

What context does the reader have? They expect the writing to make sense to them as-they-read. But for that newly arrived reader the line points to images of the place, the dress of the people, and even the scent of the store—plus your intent for how the words are to be taken…all held within *YOUR* mind and waiting to be evoked. But you’re not the one reading.

See the problem? Look at a few more lines, not as the all knowing author, but as the reader who has the emotion suggested by punctuation, the context you provide, and the meaning suggested by their own background, not your intent.

• The taudry doorbell slammed against the weather beaten wooden door as gravity pulled it closed.

You’re thinking visually, and describing what you see—reporting. But does the reader care that the bell on a door they can’t see made a sound that, here, means only that the door closed? Don’t we assume that a shop door closes when someone releases it?

• He rolled his shoulders, adjusting his posture as he returned to work, sweeping the cluttered floorspace.

Adjusting his posture? To what...from what?. Again, visual detail. But here’s the problem. The protagonist isn’t thinking about rolling his shoulder. And the story wouldn’t change in the smallest way were he to yawn instead, or far… or… So why include it. Knowing it happens doesn't create the picture you hold in your mind.

Remember, in life, and on film, we get sound and picture in parallel. So in an eyeblink's time, we get the entire picture. But on the page it's all serial, with each item taking infinitely more time to provide. So if you provide it, it damn well better either move the plot, develop character, or, meaningfully set the scene as-the-protagonist-perceives-it.

In this case, the protagonist is Honoori Vilmont. So the story is his, not yours. This is critical, because unless the reader is made to identify, and care about HIM, they will not turn to page two.

* Crash!

What can this mean to the reader? Sure, when you read the word, in your mind it’s a bottle falling to the floor. For the reader, it could literally be anything, because you just placed effect—something unknown striking something unknown striking an unknown—before cause. And that’s impossible.

But zoom out and look at the larger picture. Because of the report-writing approach you’re using, in the first twelve paragraphs: 422 words—or more than the first two standard manuscript pages—what has actually happened in the story?

1. Our protagonist said goodby to unknown people, who matter not at all to the story.
2. He screws up and knocks a bottle off the shelf, then panics.
3. He works, desperately, to clean up the mess.

That’s it. And, in the next paragraph it turns out to be no big deal, and his panic was unnecessary. So our hero is s clutz, apt to panic, and apparently, not all that smart. Does the reader know him, other than in a negative way?

Three pages in and we don’t know what city we’re in, or the year. We don’t know anything about our protagonist’s job (you said the bottles were high to keep a clumsy apprentice from breaking them but left out the words, “like him.”), his age and background, or even, his short-term goal. How can a reader identify with him?

Why this matters so much is summed up by Sol Stein, with: “A novel is like a car—it won’t go anywhere until you turn on the engine. The “engine” of both fiction and nonfiction is the point at which the reader makes the decision not to put the book down. The engine should start in the first three pages, the closer to the top of page one the better.”

Here’s the problem: In your own school years you were given a skill called writing—the one you now teach. And like everyone else, you made the natural assumption that the same word that’s part of the profession we call Fiction-Writing points to that skill. But it doesn’t. Not even close.

The majority of writing assignments you were given were for things like essays and reports, both nonfiction applications, with a goal of informing the reader clearly and concisely. The methodology is fact-based and author-centric.

Yes, you were assigned stories. But did even one teacher explain the role of the short-term scene goal, why a scene ends in disaster for the protagonist, the difference between point of view and viewpoint, or even why a scene on the stage is so different in approach from one on the page. No, because the goal of public education, from the beginning, has been to provide employers with a pool of candidates who possess a set of useful and predictable skills. And what do most employers require so far as writing? Reports, papers, and letters.

The goal of fiction?

“Good writing is supposed to evoke sensation in the reader. Not the fact that it’s raining, but the feeling of being rained upon.” ~ E. L. Doctorow

No way in hell can you do that without the emotion-based and character-centric skills of the fiction-writer. And we no more learn them by reading fiction than a visit to the museum teaches us brush technique, We see only the result of using the techniques the pros take for granted, And a semester of creative writing not only does nothing to change that, it gives us the false impression that we are not ready to write a novel. But if your was like mort, you spent a total of tow or three classes on fiction, where the students critiqued each other's writing. In other words, the blind leading the blind.

The short version: To write fiction that sings to the reader, you need to acquire those professional skills.

As Mark Twain put it: “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.” And since you can’t address the problem you don’t see as being one, I thought you might want to know. And...you did ask. 🤣

The library’s fiction-writing section can be a huge resource. But personally, I’d suggest Dwight Swain’s, Techniques of the Selling Writer, which recently came out of copyright protection. It's the best I've found to date at imparting and clarifying the "nuts-and-bolts" issues of creating a scene that will sing to the reader. The address of an archive site where you can read or download it free is just below. Copy/paste the address into the URL window of any Internet page and hit Return to get there.

https://archive.org/details/TechniquesOfTheSellingWriterCUsersvenkatmGoogleDrive4FilmMakingBsc_ChennaiFilmSchoolPractice_Others

For what it may be worth, the articles in my WordPress writing blog are based on the kind of thing you’ll find in such a book, and are meant a*s an overview of the major differences between fiction our schooldays writing.

So…I know this is nothing like what you were hoping for. And after the work you’ve put in on the story, and the emotional commitment that takes, something like this can really hurt. I know, I’ve been there more than once.

But, while that book, and others like it, won’t make a pro of you, it will give you the tools and knowledge to become one if it’s in you. And like the proverbial chicken soup for a cold, it might not help, but it sure can’t hurt.

So dig in. And while you do, hang in there, and keep on writing.

Jay Greenstein
https://jaygreenstein.wordpress.com/category/the-craft-of-writing/the-grumpy-old-writing-coach/

Posted 2 Years Ago


SuikyuuBr0

2 Years Ago

Thank you again for your feedback and insight into your process, Jay.

I've yet to wo.. read more
JayG

2 Years Ago

Don't revisit the story. The tools you own are the tools you were given in school, and all your refl.. read more
SuikyuuBr0

2 Years Ago

Thank you again for your advice and your time! It really means a lot. :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

62 Views
2 Reviews
Added on January 3, 2022
Last Updated on January 3, 2022


Author

SuikyuuBr0
SuikyuuBr0

Japan



About
High School English teacher and part-time graduate student. Lives with Japan and drinks too much coffee. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by SuikyuuBr0