Chapter 4 - Sanguine.

Chapter 4 - Sanguine.

A Chapter by P.D. North
"

This one is still a work in progress.

"

Chapter 4 - Sanguine.


Night has fallen. The campfire we made is keeping us warm yet all six of us are completely stunned; nobody has said a word since we sat down here. Dead silent is what I would call us, an ironic way to phrase it considering our current situation. I look at Sarah, she is still trying to clean the blood of her hands. While she may say nothing her facial expression speaks for her. And so it does for the rest of us; all still in shock. How can something as simple as a camping trip turn south so quick on us?
If only we were better prepared, but then again, how can you prepare for something like this. Completely lost and seeing a man die right in front of you. It couldn’t get any worse than this I think to myself.
I open my hand, revealing the ring that the old man entrusted to me. I try to look if there are any inscriptions on it. It is a golden ring with, on top of it, some sort of insignia. Sadly, not something that looks familiar. Not that I have much knowledge of Croatian heirlooms.
I think back to what the man said to me, and how his dying wish was for me to return this ring to some mine, east of here. I’ve discussed this plan with the rest and they seem to agree but only because finding the mine, most probably, would mean finding help. And with finding help comes finding our car and our way out of here. Going east means we wait till morning and see from what direction the sun rises.
Alex and max had set up the tents while Peter and I made the campfire. The girls get one tent and three of us sleep in the other one, seeing as one tent got destroyed the night before. It will be a bit cramped because we brought three two-person tents with us, but we will just have to make do. We agreed on one person holding watch while the rest of us are sleeping. We don’t know who killed that man and if he might still be lurking around in this forest. It’s a scary thought, one that made us take the dagger not only because he asked us to, but also because we then have something to defend ourselves with. A Swiss army knife isn’t something that could do much harm if it ever comes to it. 
Let’s hope it doesn’t.


“I’m going to try and get some rest.” Sarah suddenly states. “Today was a long day and I just want to lie down and forget any of this ever happened.”
“I’ll come with you.” Noah responds. “If you guys don’t mind of course.”
“No go ahead.” I reply. “The rest of you can go as well, I’ll take the first watch.”
“Are you sure?” Alex asks worriedly. “If any of us could use some sleep it would be you.”
“I agree.” Max says. “I can take the first watch if you want.”
“No don’t worry about it, I feel fine. I don’t think I could sleep anytime soon anyway. You go and try to get some rest Max, I’ll be waking you for the second shift.”
“Alright, if you say so.” Max says while getting up. “As long as you keep the fire going.”
“Don’t worry about it.” I then turn to look at Sarah; “Thanks for today, it must have been tough for you but I believe there was nothing more you could have done.”


Sarah turns her gaze downward; I can tell she is beating herself up over it. Such a sweet girl; always willing to help others. Probably the reason she became a nurse in the first place.


“I know today was insane.” I go on to say. “But I bet that this time tomorrow we are back on the road trying to forget all about this wretched forest.” I turn to look at the rest. “Don’t think about it too much, have a good night guys.”


Everyone wished each other a good night and went and tried to get some sleep. Well everyone but me, seeing as I am now the lone watcher of the night. I look up at the night’s sky. You don’t get a view like this in any city that’s for sure. The brightest stars I have ever seen painted on a canvas of such intense blackness. What a day I think to myself. I wish I could have a drink, just to forget all about what happened. Sadly I need to stay sober. Now looking into the deep dark forest; who knows what might be lurking out there, or who. Suddenly the reality of the situation kicks in. I’m out here all by myself with who knows what hiding in the shadows. An eerie feeling crumbles down my spine. Suddenly, now encumbered by fear, I jolt up at the sound of a zipper opening up. Quickly I calm myself down after realizing the sound was coming from one of the tents.


“Did I scare you?” Peter says while getting out of the tent. “The look on your face says I did.”
“Yeah, well, after what happened today this place now gives me the creeps.”
“I figured as much. Thought you could use some company.”
“Couldn’t sleep huh?”
“Couldn’t stop thinking about what happened to that man.” Peter says while walking towards the campfire.
“Take a seat.” I say to Peter while offering him a cigarette. He accepts and proceeds to sit down.


We both stare into the flames for moment, listening to the crackling of the wood and the snapping of the fire. Just for a brief moment it feels like a normal camping trip again. Peter and I have been camping many times before. We met years ago and have been friends ever since. There was a time when Peter was the only friend I had. I look up to see him now staring into the sky.


“Crazy isn’t it.” Peter suddenly says. “How insignificant today can feel when staring into the endless abyss; the deep darkness that is our universe.”    
“One crazy experience and suddenly you’re a philosopher?” I jokingly replied.
We both laugh for a while but then turn silent again.
“But yeah, today was really crazy.” I go on to say. “We saw a man dying in front of us, and we don’t even know his name.”
“And somehow he entrusted you with his dying wish.”
“I don’t know.” I say as I look at the ring he gave me. “He wants me to take this ring to some mine, together with the dagger he was killed with.”
“At least he told us to go east.” Peter states. “If finding that mine means getting out of this forest then I say go for it; fulfill a dying man’s last wish.”
“That was not the only thing he asked of me.”
“He asked for more?”
“I think he was trying to say that the guy who attacked him stole his book. He asked me to find it.”
“I hope you’re not really planning on doing that, right? I mean, apart from everything that happened today; we’re still on a trip through Europe and are now one day behind schedule.”


I look at Peter and see a look on his face like he genuinely believes I’m going to fulfill everything the man asked of me during his final moments.


“No, of course not.” I reply. “If we find someone who can help we’ll just tell everything that happened, including what he asked me to do. I’m not staying in this country a moment longer than I need to.”
“From what I remember, camping in Croatia was all your idea.” Peter says jokingly.
“Very funny but I don’t remember reading about getting lost and seeing people die in this forest. We wouldn’t be here if I did I can assure you that.”
“I know man, I was just joking with you.”
“I know but still, I’m the reason we’re here, I cannot deny that I feel a little bit responsible.”
“Well, for what it’s worth.” Peter says while standing up. “Even though we couldn’t save that man, you still did well today. You tried to help him and even stayed by his side. Not many would do the same when facing the same situation.”
“Thanks man, I appreciate it.”
“No worries, now if you don’t mind; I’m going to try and get some sleep.”
“Good night.” I say to Peter.
“Good luck.” Peter says as he disappears back into the tent.


Luckily nothing actually happened during my watch. Occasionally I had to put more wood on the fire to keep it from going out but aside from that everything was rather normal. After sitting at the campfire for maybe two hours or so I decide it´s time to wake up Max. Luckily he was easy to wake, so we trade places and I can finally close my eyes and call it a day. But man what a day. Let´s hope tomorrow will be less crazy.


- I remember thinking to myself; hoping that this madness was over now. Sadly,
  this was just the beginning. Nothing could have prepared us for what came next. -



© 2016 P.D. North


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

58 Views
Added on July 5, 2016
Last Updated on July 6, 2016


Author

P.D. North
P.D. North

Netherlands



About
Just a 24 year old Student of the English language trying to put my imagination down on paper. more..

Writing