Kiss

Kiss

A Chapter by T. Adams

A Kiss


I oversleep, and Bailey runs in to wake me up with a toothbrush in her mouth and her jeans only on one leg. “Mama, Mama get up we’re late” She yells. I jolt up and spring into action. Bailey and I are a well oiled machine. I pull out a blouse for her to wear while she finishes brushing her teeth. When I return to brush my teeth she’s already got my toothpaste on the brush. It's a mess, but on the brush, little sweetheart. I brush and she’s soon in, dressed, with a brush and her box of hair accessories. She’s wearing a beautiful pink sweater with black trim and black ballet flats with kittens on the toes. I pull out a black headband with a bow and she gives me the thumbs up. I brush her curls and place the headband on her sweet little head. “Let me see my work. Ah what a beauty.” Bailey smiles while I hold her face in my hands. I pat her but and tell her to grab a breakfast bar. I won’t have time for dancing today, there’s too much to get done in the office, so I pull out a creme dress and a robins egg blue sweater. I grab a brown belt and my brown flats and throw my hair up in a bun. I run blush over my cheeks and mascara over my top lashes. I run out and grab a breakfast bar in the kitchen and make Bailey her favorite lunch. PB & J with extra PB, an apple, juice and Oreos. She catches a glimpse of the peanut butter and says, “PB & J?” 

“Yup, only the best for my little lady.” 

“Sweet” I laugh and smack her on the bottom again. “Alright grab your bag, we’ve gotta hustle.”    

We're on our way to school and my phone is ringing non stop. I still need to get my Bluetooth setup. We pull into the hectic driveway of minivans and moms that are all well intentioned but annoying. Bailey is unbuckled from her booster seat and grabs her backpack. She's reaching for the door handle, 

“Hey little lady, are you forgetting something?” 

She leans up across the center console and hugs my neck and plants a huge kiss on my cheek. “Love ya Mama.”

“Love ya Bay.”


I'm pulling into the studio parking lot and remember the 500 missed calls. I pickup my phone and note that every single missed call is from my mom. What's wrong? Something's happened. I fill with worry as I dial her back. “Hi you!” Mom is too happy, especially after our conversation last night. 

“What's up mom?” 

“So you didn't tell me Alex was a hotshot director.”

“What?” 

“I knew he looked familiar Saturday night, and I almost said something right before you two left, but I figured if he was you would tell me.”

“Mom what are you getting at?”

“Maybe this will explain. I turned on my computer and this was in the gossip column... 

‘Who is the mystery woman who's snagged bad boy director Alex Roen’s heart?’

“What?”

“Yup. Would you like me to continue?” 

“Mom”

“Ok, ok...

‘They pulled up to the sky room, one of Roen's normal dating spots. But this time something was different. Instead of a drunk Roen with a scantily clad young-in hanging off him, we witnessed an elegant Roen. Chivalrous and love struck would have to be the words I would use to describe his demeanor last night. Patrons from the restaurant describe the two as having an intimate night. They spoke softly and smiled often. Roen even twirled this mystery girl on the dance floor. They left dinner and headed to Lavo, who can say how their night ended. Who is this woman? Undoubtably millions of women are jealous this morning. All we can tell you is that this mystery lady has brought out a lighter side to the party boy. More to come once we find our mystery lady.’” 


“What the f**k?”

“Camille!”  

“Sorry. I had no idea. Damn it!” 

“Well now what?”

“There’s no chance in hell that I’m going on a second date with him.”

“What? Why?”

“Because mom, I can't handle my life on display, I won't put Bailey's life on display. Plus it sounds like his past is less than honorable.” I'm seething

I jump when Andrea knocks on my window. “Gotta go mom.”

“Um are you ever going to get our of your car and come in for the meeting?” 

“Yeah, I'm sorry I'm sorry. Hectic morning.” 

“I take it that was your mom?”

“Yeah” I roll my eyes. 

“Whys she all in a huff? She called five times to see if you were in yet.” 

“Oh Andrea,” I rub my temple, “long story.” 

Andrea smiles and rubs my shoulder, “let's just work now and gossip later.”

“Great idea” I'm anxious to be distracted. 

Our meeting with the team goes on for what feels like forever. I struggle as I speak to my team. My mind is busy thinking of new ways to tell Alex no. We break and Andrea eyes me before leaving the room. I go into my office and close the door. It’s the first time all morning I’ve had a chance to be alone. It doesn’t last long. Henry comes into my room and slams the door behind him with a panicked face. “What’s going on Henry?”

“I’m just hiding from all the moms calling to ask if you’re in love with a” he looks at a pad of paper in his hand, “Mr. Alex Roen.” 

“Who sent you?”

“Andrea” I laugh but I’m embarrassed, and I’m sure it’s obvious to see. I’ve been reminded lately that I do a poor job of hiding my emotions. “It would appear that you had a great Saturday night. What’s he like, because he looks dreamy.” Henry sits at the edge of my desk crosses his legs and bats his eyes. I catch a glimpse of the pad in his hands. “Oh my word, are those all calls for me?” 

“Oh yeah, all mom’s concerned about the schedule change.” 

“Did the flyers go out?”  

“Mmhmm” he nods, “but I think they want the movie schedule, you know to get there kids discovered.” 

“I was afraid of that.” Henry laughs, “Well all the important calls are highlighted in pink. You might want to check the third call down.” He says while backing out of my office and shutting the door. I look at the pad, written down is, 

“Mr. Roen - please call him at your earliest convenience.” There are little hearts drawn all around his name. How cute. I skim the highlighted list and set my agenda. Ok, first I'll call the rep for the costumes. Then check email, and send out obligatory letter stating that the studio will be closed durning movie shooting. Driving home the fact that the movie schedule will not be release to our students or parents. I forward the letter to Andrea to check over first. She replies with, “I’ve already turned FIVE parents away today for this reason alone. You said this nicer than I would have. I would have added some choice expletives in there for the added punch.” I review the letter one last time and send it out to our parent mailing list. I print a copy of the letter and post it up on the bulletin bored and then go to find Andrea. I find her cleaning a classroom. “Hey chica.” 

“Oh Cami, I’ve been dying all morning, shut the door.” I comply, and she rushes over to turn the music on so none of the teachers can eavesdrop. “So how was it? I can’t imagine what a date with him would even be like.” She says over Bach. “It was typical I guess, as far as dates go. We went to dinner, and dancing.” 

“What was it like to go on a date with a celebrity?” 

“I didn’t realize I was on a date with someone everyone knew.” 

“Seriously?”

“Yeah.”

“How did you miss that?” 

“I don’t know, I don’t give much clout into that kinda stuff. You know the people magazine ‘they’re just like us’ bullshit.”

“Yeah I know, but I just assumed you knew. Well now what? Are you going on a second date?”

“I don’t see how I can. I’m not putting Bailey, or myself in the medias spotlight like that. She deserves a normal life, and I’m the one who’s responsible to make sure she gets it.”

“Cam, I'm going to say something right now, and you're not going to like it, but you need to hear it. You are a great mom. Bailey is a great girl. But you are robbing her of knowing you, the real you. Who cares if he’s well known. If he likes you for who you are, isn’t that what matters. Do you want Bailey to grow up thinking that it’s normal to not let yourself fall in love? Because that’s what your teaching her. She’s still young enough to learn, and you need to show her what love looks like. If you think there is even a chance that you could love Alex, then you need to take that risk.  You're so focused on being a mom that you forgot who Camille is. You used to have this spark about you, it attracted everyone to you, now you only light up for Bailey.”

“Andrea, I only light up with her because she is the only person who makes losing my husband not hurt so much. I focus on what has to be done and don't let my mind stray. If I allow my mind the time, it'll find Paul. I will never be the person I was before Paul died. He changed me when we met and he changed me when he died. How am I supposed to start another relationship when I’m sill mourning the death of my husband?” 

“I'm not saying you need to forget him, or change who you are. I'm guess I'm just trying to say, you need to move on. If not for you, for your daughters sake. Let yourself have some fun. It's not a crime. Yeah it might be hard at first, but time will make it easier. I would love to see you in love again, and I don't know how that can happen the way you're going about things now.” I’m furious. 

“I appreciate your concern, and maybe someday it'll happen. But he's not the guy. It should be easy, I should have no trepidation, especially on Bailey’s behalf. I'm not just saying no for Bailey's case either. I don't want this for me. If I had known I wouldn't even have considered indulging him.”

“Well Cam you can’t avoid him. They're starting the movie soon, and he'll be here. Day in and day out. You are bound to see him, and you can't ignore him. I love you, but you’re running a business and you can't snub him.”

I close my eyes and take a couple deep breaths, I’m get worked up at the idea of how much I'm going to have to avoid him. My phone chimes in and I note the time. “I’ve got to go get Bailey, I’ll be back to start the dance reviews in a bit.” 


I'm walking to my car and stop when I see a man's feet by my door. I proceed walking with my pepper spray keychain gripped. I'll spray paparazzi in a heartbeat. 

“It's me, don't shoot.” 

I hear Alex before I see him step out from behind the row of parked cars with his hands in the air like he’s facing the cops. 

“What are you doing here?” 

“I'm so sorry. I didn't know they were following us.” 

I'm speechless. He's watching me like I'm a time bomb. Tick tick tick. 

“Camille, what are you thinking? I'm dying here.” 

“I need to go get my daughter.” 

“What?”

“She gets our of school in 20 minutes and I need to get in my car and go get her.”  

“Not before you talk to me.”

“I’m going to be late.”

“I want to know what’s going on with us, talk to me.”

“I'm not too concerned with what you want, I am concerned about my daughter standing in front of school alone though. I'm leaving.”

“I'm coming with you then.” 

“Like hell you are.’

“You're not giving me much of a choice Camille.”

He's reaching for my keys. I pull away. 

“D****t Camille, tell me what you're thinking.” 

“I'm thinking that, had I known who you were I would have never gone on that date. I'm thinking that now I have to be uncomfortable working with you. Most of all I'm hoping that whoever that reporter is doesn’t figure out who I am. I'd like to keep Bailey's life as normal as possible. She's been through enough. Let me get into my car.” 

Alex steps aside and I open the door and sit down. But  he grabs the door before I can close it. 

“Please don't fight this.” Alex tears are filling my eyes again. What's wrong with me? It was one date. Don't cry. He wipes the one tear that I allow to fall down my cheek. His hand on my skin feels like velvet. 

“This is all that matters, forget what you think you know about my life, forget that damn article, feel this. I want this, I want you, I will not back down, this is too special, you're too special to let go.” His hand is still on my cheek and I lean my head into his palm. He leans in and kisses my forehead, then the tip of my nose, the corner of my mouth and then I turn and kiss him. The moment has taken over my mind and my body. His lips are smooth and his breath is sweet. An unknown thirst is being quenched. My hands reach out for his arms. He holds my cheeks and I feel at his complete mercy. My hands graze his toned biceps, and the teenage girl in me kicks into overdrive. I can't get enough of him all of a sudden. Our kisses started off so sweet and gentile, now they're becoming more urgent and frenzied. I'm completely submerged in him when I hear a camera shutter click. It's faint, but definite. Alex places his forehead on mine grabs my hands. “Don't acknowledge them, I'll take care of it. Go get your daughter I'll call you later.” 


I drive off to Bailey's school and arrive early despite the kiss. I'm in line waiting to get her when Ally the PTA "prezie" makes a b-line to my car. 

“Hi sweetheart!”

“Hi Ally, how you doing?”

“Oh I'm great, but what we're all interested in is how YOU are doing. How did our girl snag such a catch?” 

How does she know? 

“What do you mean?”

“Well a little birdie told me you've been scooped off the market by a very eligible director.” She winks. “Good for you Cami.”

I hate that she calls me Cami only my friends and family do that. 

“It's about time you got back on that horse, and what a sexy horse you chose.” 

The school bell rings and the flood of children fills the area. 

“Well have to get lunch and discuss this exciting new time in your life. Oh and don’t forget you’re on the volunteer list for tomorrow.”

I can't stand that woman. 

Bailey jumps in the car and shouts

“Mama mama, look what I made today.” She holds up a paper plate with bunny ears, cotton balls, glitter everywhere and misplaced eyes. 

“Ok, let’s just put that up here.” I place the messiest art project known to man on the passenger floor mat. 

“Gimme some sugar little love bug!” Bailey flies forward to my cheek and blesses me with a little peck. “Mama, you smell funny.” She sniffs me and makes a face. 

“Do I stink?”

“No.”

“What do I smell like?” 

“Like...like...man perfume.”

I’m frozen. I am not ready to have this conversation with her, I’m not ready to have this conversation with myself.

Honking burst from the minivan behind us. I wave in the rearview mirror, the universal sign for I’m sorry I’m not sorry and get into gear and go. 

My phone buzzes, and I notice Alex’s number. I lean over and open the glove compartment and feel around for that little cord. Oh come on, I know you’re in here. Aha. I slip the headphone in my ear and plug the jack into my phone. “Hello?” My hello is a little too excited, I’m rather please with myself for 1. remembering that my dad gave me this hands free headphone for the meantime and 2. that I found it within time to answer the phone. 

“Hi, don’t go home right now.”

“Why? I’m already...whats going on? Who are all those people?” As I round the corner to our small home I see several unusual cars parked on my street along with a small crowd. 

“Mama, are you having a party?”

“Camille, just turn around. Don’t go any further just turn your car around and get out of there now.” 

“I’m trying? I thought you said you were going to handle this?”

“Camille, I tried. He had already called his agency.” 

“Ok I’m turning around now. Where do I go?” 

“Somewhere very public. Camille I’m sorry.”

“This is exactly what I was trying to avoid.”

“I know, and with good reason. You have to understand that it isn’t always like this though.” 

“Now is not the time Alex, goodbye.”

“Wait” He shouts to me, “Where are you going? I’ll send my security.”

“You have security? Don’t answer that. I’m going to get ice cream at the store up the street.” 

“I’m sorry Camille.” I hang up.

“Hey Bay, how about some ice cream before we head off to the studio for class?” 

“Ice cream!”

When all else fails, distract her with sugar. 


We walk in the store hand in hand. Bailey taps my forearm with her fingertips. I lean forward, understanding that she’s about to whisper something to me. 

“Mama, I can’t see behind the glass.” 

“Not even on your tippy toes?” 

“Mom.”

I laugh to myself. “Ok, come here.” I lift her up and onto my hip the way I used to carry her as a toddler. She lays her head on my shoulder and for a moment I smile thinking about how ridiculous we must look. She’s so tall and I’m so short. Before long, she’ll be the one to carry me. “What do you think you’ll have today?” I rest my head on hers. “Mmmmm sherbet. That was Papas favorite right?” 

“Yup.” 

“Tell me the story again mama.” 

“Ok my love. The first time Papa took me to meet Grandma and Grandpops we went to have pizza. Papa and I had spent the afternoon swimming, so by dinner I was starving. I was so hungry that I ate four slices of pizza. When Papa realized how much I ate he was shocked. He looked at me and said, “I’ve just never seen a girl eat like that.” I was so embarrassed. Here I was with my new boyfriend and his family, shoving food in my face like I’d never ate before. He took me home and we decided to walked to the store to get some ice cream cones. I was still embarrassed from the pizza fiasco. I ordered a single scoop of vanilla in a cup. Papa knew that I was being silly and ordering small because I didn’t want him to think I was a pig. So Papa ordered a pint of sherbet. I asked him if was going to take some home for his little brother. He smiled at me and shook his head. Papa ate the whole pint of ice cream and got the biggest brain freeze I’ve ever seen. Just to make me feel better about eating some pizza..”

As I finished my story, we are walking up to the counter. “We’ll have two cones of sherbet please.” Bailey kisses my cheek and says, “sherbets my favorite too. Do you think one day I could eat a pint of sherbet.” 

“Yeah, someday, but today is not that day kiddo.” We grab our cones and sit in some summer lounge chairs on display in the market. 

What am I going to do about those photographers? How long will they stay in front of my home?

My phone rings, it’s my mom.

“Hi Ma.” 

“Hey Cam. So I guess you decided it’s a go ahead on that second date?”

“What?”

“Well once that article came out this morning I set a google alert for anything with Alex’s name.” 

“Mom, I didn’t even know that you knew what google alerts were.”

“Ha ha, very funny, I’m old and technologically challenged. Anyway a picture of you two kissing just popped up in my inbox.” 

“Hmmmmmm.” the only response I’m willing to offer up is a groan. I’m a grown woman. Can’t I just kiss someone without everyone being a part of it? 

“What are you doing now?”

“Drowning my sorrows in thrifty ice cream with Bay.”

“Why don’t you guys come over for dinner and we can talk.” 

“Alright, we’re going to finish our cones and be on our way.”

“Hey Bay, want to go see grandma and grandpa?”


We finish our cones and head out to the car. I’m parked right out front so that if there is any paparazzi we can make a quick getaway. No one to be seen so we stroll to our car. I buckle Bailey in and pickup my phone. Time to let Andrea know what’s going on. It goes to voicemail. “Hey, it’s me. I can’t come in for the reviews. It’s kind of an emergency I guess. I’ll fill you in later. Hey if things get hectic down there, just close the studio for the day.” 

I hang up and that’s when I see the first photographer come running towards my car. 



© 2015 T. Adams


Author's Note

T. Adams
Most of the comments on these chapters won't make sense because I've rearranged things. Sorry.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"It's ridiculous how beautiful he is." ... love this!

"Stuffed Calamai to star"... two typos CalamaRi and starT

You also use the word "grab" three times in quick succession. If you plan on changing some of these grabs, I'd suggest you change this one: "He grabs my arm, pulls me close and wraps his arms around me" That sounds a bit rough.

This was a lovely chapter and I'm understanding her attraction more. I guess I've been having a hard time with that because I am not normally a romance reader. Anyway, the plot thickens and I'm really enjoying the developments.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

T. Adams

9 Years Ago

This is one of the first things I wrote, for me is where everything started. I think that's why I've.. read more
SweetNutmeg

9 Years Ago

Ours is not to reason why... I'm no romance novel reader, but I think instantaneous, overwhelming at.. read more



Reviews

An excellent read again. Very romantic, and like Nutmeg said, the attraction makes more sense. I want to hear about some of his background and what caused the momentary "fear." I do read and write romance and I see parallels with other books I've read, and I'll be interested to see what makes this one unique.

Posted 9 Years Ago


T. Adams

9 Years Ago

Hi Jennie, thanks for reading on. I agree with the parallels with other books too. I think I need to.. read more
Jennie Baron

9 Years Ago

Less so than some other characters I could name who are downright creepy. You've made a great start.. read more
"It's ridiculous how beautiful he is." ... love this!

"Stuffed Calamai to star"... two typos CalamaRi and starT

You also use the word "grab" three times in quick succession. If you plan on changing some of these grabs, I'd suggest you change this one: "He grabs my arm, pulls me close and wraps his arms around me" That sounds a bit rough.

This was a lovely chapter and I'm understanding her attraction more. I guess I've been having a hard time with that because I am not normally a romance reader. Anyway, the plot thickens and I'm really enjoying the developments.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

T. Adams

9 Years Ago

This is one of the first things I wrote, for me is where everything started. I think that's why I've.. read more
SweetNutmeg

9 Years Ago

Ours is not to reason why... I'm no romance novel reader, but I think instantaneous, overwhelming at.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

236 Views
2 Reviews
Added on January 5, 2015
Last Updated on November 15, 2015
Tags: romance, book, novel


Author

T. Adams
T. Adams

CA



About
Temporary hiatus from "Blue Eyes." Please continue to leave comments as I work on editing. All input is appreciated. http://taadams.blogspot.com Had an idea for a short story, 40,000 words late.. more..

Writing
First Love First Love

A Story by T. Adams


Camille Camille

A Book by T. Adams