The day after Halloween

The day after Halloween

A Chapter by Ta'ziyah Naharah
"

"We wear the mask", says Langston.

"

I had a conversation with my sister today. It was about my brother who is paralyzed now from the waist down. We were discussing his behavior and how this challenge was getting the best of him. He didn't want anyone to see him in his condition. I stated to her that over time, we build these identities with our family and friends that are false, and their comes the moment when they crash and the illusion breaks. Now they feel a sense of identity crises and there comes the point where you have to find what was always there. You. This is what my brother is experiencing. He is being torn away from his illusory identity. This might mean a new relationship with family, as well as finding new friends. We shouldn't try to nurture and hold on to this old identity to make them "feel better", but push them to transcend it. For example, when we take our kids trick or treating on halloween, we dress them up in costumes that seemingly consume their character. We as parents laugh, have fun knowing that they'll take them off and be a normal kid again the next day. We treat each other like this in our daily lives. We watch people dress up in these personality costumes, laugh and joke expecting that they'll take the mask off the next day. But it doesn't come off. It stays there and consumes their soul. My brother has been consumed and now he has crashed. His costume of false identity has been taken off almost costing him his life. He feels that he has lost something. In actuality he has come upon a great discovery, simply the day after Halloween.



© 2008 Ta'ziyah Naharah


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

202 Views
Added on March 7, 2008


Author

Ta'ziyah Naharah
Ta'ziyah Naharah

City of dreams



About
momma and daddy did the cha cha in the year of 85'. black seed in the soil grew for 9 months under mommas sun. Now raised the sun of God with a natural suntan. Bred northern during my adolescence. Wri.. more..

Writing