What Would Sweeney Todd Do? (WWSTD?)

What Would Sweeney Todd Do? (WWSTD?)

A Screenplay by Tai-San
"

my last writing. if you knew me, it has meaning.

"

 

Characters:
Melody
Kimmy
Kimi
Brian
Ashley
Krissi
Nancy
Jasper
Vladimir
Cathleen
Brendan
Charlie
 
 
 
SCENE ONE
 (We open up in a school. The bell rings and we follow Melody, tall blonde, gorgeous, and dressed in a normal orange shirt, who walks gracefully through the halls, avoiding the people walking towards her, acting as if she doesn’t exist. Suddenly, Nancy, a girl who’s dressed in what looks like random clothes comes up from behind her.)
 
Nancy
Boo!
 
Melody (playfully)
Nan! Why do you sneak up on me like that?
 
(Nancy starts laughing and hugs Melody, though it’s hard because Nancy is short, unlike Melody.)
 
Nancy
Because my friend looks sad. Why wouldn’t I make her laugh?
 
(Melody giggles and puts her arm around Nancy’s shoulder.)
 
Nancy (continued)
Besides, Mel, you’ve been looking a bit down lately. What’s up? Something been bothering you?
 
Melody
Nah. Nothing you should be worrying about.
 
Nancy
Well, it’s just that you’ve been oddly serious, and I never remember seeing you so…stressed lately.
 
Melody
Listen, I don’t want you to worry about me.
 
Nancy
Nothing’s gonna harm you,
Not while I’m around.
Nothing’s gonna harm you,
Darling.
Not while I’m around.
 
Melody
No…Nan…I promise…nothing is wrong.
 
Nancy
Not to worry,
Not to worry.
I may not be smart,
But I ain’t dumb.
I can do it,
Put me to it,
Show me something I can overcome.
You know I’m here for you, Mel, right?
 
Melody
Yea.
 
(Jasper comes up and puts his arm around Melody’s waist, so she’s now in the middle.)
 
Jasper
Hey, baby. What’s going on with my favorite soprano one?
 
Melody
Do you have to point out that I can sing?
 
Jasper
Hell yeah! Especially since you’re the best soprano in the entire world.
 
 (As Jasper continues to brag about Melody, Vladimir walks on the side that Nancy is on.)
 
Melody
Woot! We’re one bit happy family now!
 
(Everyone laughs, though we see Jasper and Vladimir glare at each other when Melody isn’t looking.)
 
Jasper
So, babe, you want to go out tonight?
 
Melody
I can’t. Vlad is coming to help me with something.
 
Jasper
With what?
 
Vladimir
Homework. What? Can’t you share Melody for the simplest of things?
 
Jasper
I was just asking what for. It’s not that I don’t trust her it’s just…
 
Vladimir
You don’t trust ME with her?
 
Jasper
Don’t trust a hoe.
Never trust a hoe.
Won’t trust a hoe.
 
Vladimir
Won’t trust me.
 
Jasper
Yup.
 
Melody
Would you two stop? Listen, forget about homework. How about we ALL go out tonight?
 
Nancy
Sorry, Mel. I’m spending the night with J.D.
 
Melody (whispers)
It’s okay. The invite was mostly for the guys. If you don’t want to come, that’s okay.
 
Vladimir
I don’t know about your little boyfriend, but I’m totally up for going with you somewhere.
 
(Melody nods in satisfaction.)
 
Jasper
You know I’ll go towards the ends of the earth with you, Mel Mel. I’ll go with you too.
 
Both
Where do you wanna go?
 
(Lights fade.)
 
SCENE TWO
 
(Melody stands on the stage alone as red lights slowly come up.)
 
Melody
Okay, so here’s the deal. I have Jasper and my best friend, Vladimir, and neither of them get along! Well, believe it or not, tonight is Halloween. My birthday. well, not really, but almost.
 
Anyways, tonight I decided that the boys and I had to go out. I know that this night will not be forgotten by either boy. This will be the best, well-learned lesson I ever gave.  
 
Melody exits and the lights come up on a party. Pale people crowd the floor. None of them look ‘normal’.
 
ENTER: Melody, Vladimir, and Jasper.)
 
Jasper
Yo! What the hell is this place?
 
Vladimir (in deep thought)
This place looks kinda hot…
 
Jasper (to Melody)
Can you please tell me what this place is?
 
Melody
A night party.
 
Jasper
You mean for people who go out to the graveyard at night and hang around? Dude…they exist?
 
Vladimir
And what the hell do you think Melody does at night? She and I go to the graveyard at night. Genius.
 
Jasper
Well, excuse me for not knowing about nigh-crawlers.
 
Vladimir
Well, you should know more about your girlfriend then me. Instead, I know more.
 
Melody
Would you two just stop? Please?
 
Both
Sorry, Melody…
 
Melody
Now…behave, or else I’ll have to Sweeney Todd you both. And that may not be as fun as it sounds to me.
 
Jasper
Sweeney Todd? What’s that?
 
Vladimir
Sweeney Todd? Demon Barber Of Fleet Street? He killed people for money and then his friend, or, if you want, lover, made the peoples’ flesh into veal pies. How could you not have heard about Sweeney Todd?
 
Jasper
Maybe because I’m normal?
 
Melody
No one in this world is normal. Didn’t you know that? No one can be normal.
 
(The three stand around with an odd essence around them.)
 
Jasper
Are we waiting for someone, or are we just going to stand here?
 
Melody
I’m waiting forKimmy, Kimi, Brian, Ashley, and Krissi. They may be here, though. How about you guys go on and mingle a bit?
 
Jasper
But…babe…I thought we were going to dance?
 
Melody
We will. I gotta see my other friends though.
 
Vladimir
Dude; just let her fly solo for a bit.
 
(Vladimir and Jasper go off and mingle with other people as Melody stands there, waiting. Four girls, two are Asia and two are blond come up with the one boy, Brian. Kimmy is Philippine, Kimi is Chinese, Ashley a bit chubby, and Krissi is small, skinny, and has blue eyes like the sea. All four hug Melody, the Brian hugs her separately.)
 
Kimi
Hey, Melody. What did you need?
 
Melody
I need to do something so that Vlad and Jasper will get along.
 
Kimmy
Like…a joke?
 
Melody
Maybe. But…maybe it needs to be better then a joke. Maybe…maybe what we need to do has to be real. Actual. Something that will make them never fight again.
 
Brian
Like what?
 
Melody (really getting into it)
Maybe…maybe something that Jasper always tries to do…that’s what I need to do. Not acting it though. It need to actually. Do it. And…and there will be blood. Oh yes, a lot of blood…
 
(Krissi comes up behind Melody and outs her hand on her shoulder.)
 
Krissi
No, hun. No guy is worth that. Not two guys are worth that. Well, that, AND the fact that killing yourself is stupid. Now, if we were talking about MURDER, that I would probably go for.
 
Melody
Murder! Celal'est ! That’s it! I know what I’m going to do!
 
 
(Everyone looks at Melody like she is crazy)
 
Brian
Mel, what are you going on about now?
 
 
Melody
Murder. Sweeney Todd. Hello! Ciò è unabuona idea, Kimi?
 
(Kimi shrugs in confusion)
 
Kimi
Who would you murder?
 
Melody
It’s not who I would murder…it’s more like who will murder me.
 
 
(Everyone stares at Melody)
 
Melody (continued)
Not actually kill me. Just say that they’ve killed me. No, not actually.
 
Ashley
Maybe that could be Brian.
 
Brian (shocked)
What?
 
Ashley
Not actually Brian. And hey, it was an idea.
 
Brian
Oh.
 
Melody
We don’t really need to frame anyone. You guys could just say that SOMEONE killed me, and I could disappear for a bit. What do you think?
 
(Brian, Kimmy, Kimi, Ashley, and Krissi all nod their head solemnly in agreement. Then, Jasper and Vladimir come over to the circle.)
 
 
Jasper
Finally, you five are here. Can I take Melody now?
 
Melody
Actually, Jasper, I have to go home. You two stay here though and party. Brian, can you take me home?
 
(Brian and Melody leaves, and Jasper and Vladimir look behind them.)
 
Vladimir
Well, looks like your not dancing with you girl.
 
Jasper
Yeah, but neither are you.
 
(Both boys glare at each other, but go on dancing.
 
Close curtain)
 
 
SCENE THREE
(We open curtain on Melody’s house. Melody gets out of Brian’s car.)
 
Melody
Thanks, Brian.
 
Brian
I’ll wait here until you come back out.
 
(Melody nods and turns to leave. She unlocks her door, walks in, and closes the door behind her. We wait a few seconds, then hear her scream. Brian runs out of his car, and runs inside. He looks around.)
 
Brian (continued)
Melody? Mel?
 
(Brian walks around the house. He walks into the back room to find a limp body hanging from the rafters. He gets a closer look to realize it is Melody.)
 
Brian
Oh god…
 
(Brian rushes out to his car and quickly heads back to the party, crying.)
 
(Lights fade.
 
Lights come up. The party.
 
The party is over. The others are outside, waiting for Brian.
 
Enter: Brian, running.)
 
Brian
Oh my god….oh my god, oh my god, oh my god.
 
Ashley
What happened?
 
Brian
Melody…she’s dead.
 
(Ashley goes next to Brian’s ear and whispers “good acting.”))
 
Brian
I’m not acting. She’s really dead. Someone killed her.
(Brian looks around.)
Where’s Krissi?
 
Ashley
She’s not here. She went out for a second.
 
(ENTER: Krissi. There is blood all over her hands, and running down her shirt.)
 
Jasper
You…b***h. You killed Melody!
 
Vladimir
Why the Hell would you do that?
 
 
Krissi
Someone had to. Someone had to get you guys to get along.
 
Brian
You know that she didn’t actually MEAN for you to kill her, right?
 
Krissi
Well, faking it wasn’t going to work.
 
Vladimir
She wanted us to get along? She’d end her life, just to get us to get along?
 
Krissi
Duh.
 
Vladimir
What a fool…
 
Krissi, Ashley, and Brian
Huh?
 
Vladimir
What a fool I was to trust her as a friend. What a fool. She’s kept secrets from me, cut herself, and lied…what a fool to trust her.
 
Jasper
What a fool we both were.
 
Vladimir
Friends?
 
Jasper
Friends.
 

END SCENE

© 2009 Tai-San


Author's Note

Tai-San
my last writing. if you knew me, it has meaning.

My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow such a sad story.. but brilliantly written.. you have writing skills.. if this has some hidden meaning and you are hiding feelings that can not be a good thing.. you need to speak to someone about it.. it can eat you up inside.. it won't go away.. you have to confront it.. see fear of things is worse then actually being hurt itself.. I admit I do not know you.. but I know that hiding secrets is not good or feelings.. I have been through alot.. you have to stay strong and it's ok to ask for help. You need to find a teen crisis line or someone you can trust who is older to speak to about it.. your hidden meaning.. I am not a therapist so I can listen but I can not fix anything.. I do care though even though I don't know you.. I care about people in general and there are many that do even though they might not know you.. look around please! =)

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow. This is really great, as usual! I love the ending, but I think it could do with a little more explaining.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow such a sad story.. but brilliantly written.. you have writing skills.. if this has some hidden meaning and you are hiding feelings that can not be a good thing.. you need to speak to someone about it.. it can eat you up inside.. it won't go away.. you have to confront it.. see fear of things is worse then actually being hurt itself.. I admit I do not know you.. but I know that hiding secrets is not good or feelings.. I have been through alot.. you have to stay strong and it's ok to ask for help. You need to find a teen crisis line or someone you can trust who is older to speak to about it.. your hidden meaning.. I am not a therapist so I can listen but I can not fix anything.. I do care though even though I don't know you.. I care about people in general and there are many that do even though they might not know you.. look around please! =)

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 3, 2009

Author

Tai-San
Tai-San

New York



About
I am single and an age. I hate people, but I love them. I get scared very easily and, well, i wont say why. I'm a poet, though i'm bad at it. My best friends are: Wa Ya As The Gothic Cowboy, ATG, .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Fire Lily... Fire Lily...

A Poem by Voice


Mirage Mirage

A Poem by Voice