Once Again

Once Again

A Poem by Tania Leigh

 

Once again

I lay upon my bed

and helplessly succumb

to the power you have over me…

 

Once again

I cry, for I am overcome with

chills while you loom over me; an univited

guest in my sanctuary; a threat to my sanity.

 

Once again

I bury my face in my pillow, with my

body in a self – protective fetal curl. I shut my eyes

tightly and wish you away, but you  won’t go; Oh no,

no, no, instead you come and wrap me in a cruel embrace, and

 

Once again, I am yours.

© 2008 Tania Leigh


Author's Note

Tania Leigh
My muse here is migraine.....it's not just a headache.....a headache is only a (common) symptom. It is a neurological syndrome and can cause all kinds of weird symptoms. My reference to "chills" is a symptom that I get and feels like the edge of hypothermia. The pic shows nails, which represents the "pins & needles" effect that affects only my left side, and a flower, which represents the good things in my life that can be overshadowed by the episodes.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Once again you have an image in your writing - perfect tree - could this be the tree of life?
Headaches are the pits, migranes are a psychedelic travesty to our continued health. It isn't just the pain, it's everything else. Sorta like morning sickness and giving birth through the brain at the same time!

This is a cleverly written piece because it smacks of things other than a migrane, yet the clue is there in the third stanza

" I bury my face in my pillow, with my

body in a self � protective fetal curl. I shut my eyes

tightly and wish you away, but you won't go;"


This is a position and a statement migrane sufferers know too well.

A very good and clever write that without your explanitory notes would be read much differently - even so - it is an attack on you - you are being abused - not by a person but by the hell that is known as "migrane.

Jen - JG





Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

very creative. I really like the way you handled this piece.
Sandra

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow excellent poem, I did wonder who came again and then when I read your notes the mist cleared, I sometimes get a migraine so I can understand your feelings, I always feel the need to lie in a darkened room and sleep it off. It works most of the time. Your short poem captured the essense of migraines perfectly.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow, this is great! I actually read even darker meaning into the words - it wasn't until your explanation in the notes that I got what you were writing about. It really is amazing how differently we all see things.

Great write

Mystic

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Bummer. Maybe a healing spell will help you out to some degree or another.

Isn't there some prerequisite of the experience of considerable pain to get your artist's license? Usually, people opt into the emotional pain, especially from love. But, that migrane thing seems to be working for you. I just cheated and got a fake license at the bottom of my box of Cracker Jacks!

Wonderful descriptive phrases. I feel your pain!

Peace and love,
Gabe


Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This poem speaks to me. Mostly because I've played the same go-away game with my own migraines and other pains that won't leave. This also reminds me of the nights when I am visited by No-Sleep and we play this game too. The repitition of "Once again..." implies that this isn't the first time, and it is probably far from being the last. I like it.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Check out this song by Deftones called "Needles and Pins" It could be a love song, in a different sort of way, and in fact I'm pretty sure it's such a love song, but also, it could be talking about the singer's relationship with anything. Maybe something like this poem describes. Who can tell?

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I know how you feel... well not really cause every migraine is different..... It's such a horrible thing to go through.... This poem is a great way of describing a migraine.... Great Job!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tania...oh how I relate to your 'muse'.

"helplessly succumb...uninvited guest in my sanctuary..."

You have truly 'personalized' the invasive properties of migraines.
I wish you peaceful days and restful nights,
Celia

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This poem can take on a life of its own with so many meanings depending on the the reader. I do understand the migraine headache I to suffer from these and they are so painful you can not escape once it starts.
Excellent write

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

If I hadn't read your note I wouldn't have known you were writing about a migraine and I think that is an excellent sign of how phenomonal of a talent you are (or my mind is just in the gutter, lol.) I think it is a lot more your talent. My aunt gets really bad migraines and everything you described she goes through. Such a unique subject you chose to write about, but you pulled it off brilliantly.

~Stephen

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1597 Views
63 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on March 7, 2008

Author

Tania Leigh
Tania Leigh

NH



About
4/7/08 When my "Phobia" contest is completed April 18th, and winners have been chosen and notified, I'll be leaving the cafe indefinitely to focus on my family, as well as my first book and website. .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Seed The Seed

A Poem by Dezaraye