Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by TashaIsADinosaur

Prologue

She walked through the field, long blades of grass folding under her footsteps, fingertips brushing through the flowers that dared to climb higher than the rest.

Her face was a mask, totally void of any emotion, and her movements were almost robotic. One step, then another, then another, the toes of her shoes dragging on the ground. Every few seconds, she would lift up her arm to check the time, before letting it trail behind her once more.

She stared unblinkingly ahead of her at her unknown destination, her lips forming the words ‘can’t be late’ over and over again

A shrill ringing noise cut through the silence.

She stopped.

Her eyes stayed focused on the spot ahead of her as she reached into her pocket, pulled out her phone and dropped in on the ground.

She resumed walking, stepping on the phone as she went. The screen cracked but the ringing continued. If the girl noticed, she hid it well.

The terrain changed. Grass became pebbles, flowers became railways. As she stepped out onto the track, an old man emerged from a small shed a short distance away.

‘Hey! Girl! You can’t be on the tracks!’

He was hobbling towards her now, walking stick in hand. She didn’t even glance his way, eyes focused ahead of her as the train rounded the corner.

‘Get off the tracks!’

His yelling was more urgent now and the train whistled at her in warning.

She fumbled at her pocket and pulled out a crumpled picture.

‘GIRL!’

It was of a small boy.

‘GET. OFF. THE. TRACKS!’ The train whistled again.

‘I’m sorry Corey,’ she whispered.

She looked up again at the advancing train, dropped the picture and closed her eyes.

Just before the train hit, she smiled.

 



© 2013 TashaIsADinosaur


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well for one so young, you have a very strong literary voice. The prologue has a great deal of intrigue as well as a smart hook. It is the sort of question - Why? That keeps the reading turning the page.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

TashaIsADinosaur

11 Years Ago

Thanks! :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

178 Views
1 Review
Added on March 10, 2013
Last Updated on March 10, 2013


Author

TashaIsADinosaur
TashaIsADinosaur

Poseidon's Cabin, Camp Half-Blood, United Kingdom



About
Ummm.. Okay. So I don't really know what to put here. What is there to know about me? None of it's really all that interesting. Anyway, here goes: - I'm fifteen (soon to be 16) - I am a HUGE ne.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by TashaIsADinosaur