Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
The Cordovian Effect - Chpt 7

The Cordovian Effect - Chpt 7

A Chapter by Tegon Maus

"Are you coming or what," I chided rose.

"Keep your pants on, jeez. You're worst than Corona," she returned.

I was anxious to see Arlo, I had things I needed to ask and to tell.

"What's your hurry this morning? It's not like he won't be there," she asked fixing her hair in the entry mirror.

I waited as patiently as I could, bouncing a little on my toes.

"I don't know, how about Beverly?"

"Beverly? What about her? You don't think Arlo knows her do you?"

"Maybe, she was very pretty and he knows a lot of pretty women," I said in a soft voice. If anything would, that should do it I thought to myself.

"Come on, you're making me late," she scolded, throwing the front door open to bang against the wall.

"Yes 'em," I said gleefully and followed along.

It was a quite ride to Arlo's. The silence only deepened as we rode along. I felt bad. I didn't mean to push her buttons that hard, I just wanted to prod her a little.

As we came around to the front of the building we were surprised to find the front door locked and a hand written sign taped to it... on it the words 'Closed for Private showing.'

"I thought Arlo was opening the gallery today," I said pulling at the locked door.

Before Rose could answer Arlo was there, turning the lock, pulling the door open.

"We got a problem," he whispered opening the door just enough to allow us in.

"Arlo? What's going on? I don't remember anything about a private showing," Rose admonished.

"Rose give me a moment to talk to Jon will you?" He said pulling me off to one side.

"Sure Arlo. Did you want me to serve coffee or..."

"Coffee would be fine but we're out. If you wouldn't mind can you pick some up please? I'll see to our guest until you get back."

She nodded her head in agreement and made for the front door as he pulled me deeper.

"Arlo? What the hell?" I pressed.

"They're here Jon, almost a dozen of them."

"Who? Who's here?"

"The Dikika... there are eleven of them. They've been arriving all morning and you won't believe it... its actually happening." He said excitedly.

"What's happening Arlo?"

"Word gets around, it has nothing to do with me, I swear."

"What did you say Arlo?"

He shifted from side to side but said nothing.

"What do they want and why did they come here?

He smiled weakly and shrugged.

"Come on. Let's go find out."

As we entered the main gallery my head burst to life with a dozen tones all at the same time as everyone rushed toward me.

It was crippling, it stopped me in my tracks. My eyes closed and I grabbed my head, tensing in pain.

"Everyone, please, one at a time," Arlo shouted waving his arms, pushing them back.

He pushed them into a crowded line; one by one I shook their hands and the tones diminished until only one remained. A woman who stood at the back of all the others waited for my touch. I could see her face threw the people who stood between us. She wore a huge smile as if she had just won the lotto as she lightly swayed from side to side.

As I moved closer those between us parted allowing me to pass.

At first I was stunned, I couldn't make it fit in my head as I searched for some level of understanding... she was pregnant.

She stepped back a little, her right hand stretched around her protruding belly, rubbing it in small circles in comfort.

I placed my hand on her stomach and the tone stopped.

"Nice to meet you," she said.

"How is this possible?" I blurted, searching Arlo's face.

He beamed at me as if he were the proud father.

"Is this real? Is this...?" I didn't know what to say. I was lost for words. "Arlo?"

Everyone just stood there smiling at me.

I leaned over to place my ear to her stomach, though I have no idea what I expected to hear.

To my surprise the sound of swirling liquid and assorted gurgles and groans greeted me.

"Arlo," I said straightening, giving him the sternest expression I could muster.

"It works! Roger was right! It works!" He shouted and began to dance around the room.

Everyone clapped with excitement, agreeing with him.

"Arlo, what works? What the hell is going on? How is this remotely possible?" I snapped, grabbing him by the shoulders.

"It means the possibilities are endless."

"I don't understand," I confessed, now more confused than I would have thought possible.

"In the simplest terms, what Roger did was create a new form of life... us."

"A new life form? I thought we were all machines, a technical wonder mind you but machines all the same," I protested.

"We are, we are," he said excitedly. "Any organic polymer can store info... if that info can be accessed and copied. Copied from one genetic polymer to another which means it can be propagated... we can parent a child. I didn't think it was possible. The molecular machinery needed to stabilize the nucleic acids so they aren't broken down by enzymes is mind boggling but Roger was right... Polymerization was the key," he shouted wildly and the others joined him. The gallery exploded into joyous chaos.

"Arlo, none of this makes sense to me. Help me out... give it to me one syllable at a time will you," I pleaded, grabbing him.

"What do you mean?"

"Are we machines or not?"

"We have always been machines in one manner or another. We have simply changed from a natural carbon based life form to one that's silicone based. What we are now is the end product of an artificial evolutionary change. Those changes have been set in motion by Roger's process and you."

"Me? What the hell does it have to do with me?"

"Why, the Cordovian Effect of course," He beamed.

"What are you talking about?"

"Tell him Arlo, he'll need to know," one of the others prompted.

"Where to start? Roger could be... how do I put this... a little odd," he said.

"Arlo where is this going?"

"You know that little thing you used to do?"

"Which little thing would that be?"

"The electric thing when you kiss."

"Oh, that. Yes, I remember."

"Well, when Roger set all this in motion he kind of liked that about you so he instilled it in all of us," Arlo said sweeping a hand toward all those present.

"He did what?"

"He gave each of us the ability to generate that spark."

"You have to be kidding. Why would he do that?"

"He thought it was a great idea... he called it the Cordovian Effect... it's the hinge pin of the Eve Project."

"Go on."

"How many of us escaped Warwick? Anyone?"

"Around eighty," came the group reply.

"See? That's why. The correct answer is eighty five. Roger wanted to be sure that we didn't just get by... he wanted us to thrive."

"So he what, cursed everyone with my misfortune?"

"Yes, yes he did to make sure... that spark between you and Keri... it's proof."

"Proof of what?"

"Proof you and she are genetically compatible... proof that you have a 93% chance of being in love. Proof you have found your soul mate... of having children... for our kind to flourish," he explained excitedly.

"You're out of your mind. If I fall in love... correct that... when I fall in love, I want it to be because it's my choice... I don't want it to be because I have some... Cordovian program running somewhere in my head because Roger thought it would be funny."

Now I was mad. It pissed me off no end to think I was being manipulated by some computer program. I didn't want to just go through the motions I wanted the real thing.

"It's not like that. He didn't do it to be funny. He did it to make it clear who should be with who... the stronger the spark the better the odds for a successful marriage and for kids. Roger knew two hundred years was a long time to go without family. Like it or not, we need a minimum of thirty couples to create a stable genetic base or we are the last of our kind and all our efforts go to hell."

"So you and Roger think that a spark between two of us equals off springs?"

"Yes, without doubt. If you kissed every woman here you will only create a spark with those who are genetically compatible with you."

"If there's no spark?"

"Then the woman who is your genetic match isn't here. As time goes on you will feel more and more compelled to search her out."

"And if I don't find her?"

"Then you will miss out on all of this," he said wrapping his arm around the pregnant woman resting his hand on her stomach.

"Bullshit Arlo," I barked and turned away.

"Here, look," he said turning to one of the other women. "Do you mind?" he asked.

She shook her head no and then kissed her.

Nothing.

"See, bullshit," I said gleefully.

"Hang on, hang on," He said waving to a second volunteer, kissing her.

To my surprise, not to mention that of Arlo's and his new recruit a loud spark jumped between them.

"Oh my, I wasn't expecting that. Thank you, that was very nice," Arlo said smiling a big smile. "Now you try."

Cautiously, I moved closer to kiss the woman as Arlo did.

Nothing

"See?" He said and kissed the woman again, creating a loud snap, making the young woman giggle in return as he leaned in for yet another kiss.

This time the kiss was less of a peck and more passionate almost embarrassing to witness.

Everyone present was silently transfixed, lost along with them in their embrace.

Suddenly the sound of breaking crockery smashing to the floor broke the spell.

Standing over the wreckage of a serving tray and multiple coffee cups was Rose, frozen in place with shock.

"Rose," Arlo called. "It's not what you think."

She turned and bolted for the front door.

"Rose," he called again but before he gave chase he turned to kiss the woman on last time.

I couldn't help but notice she held his hand, reluctant to let go as Arlo moved away.

I didn't know what to think or how to feel.

The woman moved forward a few steps as if she felt she should follow but thought better of it, placing her finger tips to her lips.

Seeing her do that struck me more than anything Arlo had said or tried to explain. The look on her face as she watched him leave shook me.

Looking at those who remained, my mind raced with all the what if's. How many have already been pair bonded? Were they happy about it? Did they feel as I did that they where merely puppets to a program none of them had any control over?

"What do we do now?" the woman who Arlo kissed asked.

She had me there... I had no idea.



© 2020 Tegon Maus


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

55 Views
Added on November 1, 2020
Last Updated on November 1, 2020


Author

Tegon Maus
Tegon Maus

CA



About
Dearheart, my wife of fifty one years and I live in Cherry Valley, a little town of 8,200 in Southern California. In that time, I've built a successful remodeling /contracting business. But tha.. more..

Writing