Prologue - The Littlefield Chronicles

Prologue - The Littlefield Chronicles

A Chapter by Tegon Maus
"

I have cried without shame for the loss of all I hold dear and for the fear the future holds more than I can bear... I am Tucker Littlefield. Know all that I say now is true spoken.

"

 

Prologue

 

     Transformed by a primitive magic beyond a civilized man's understanding, I was given a horrible gift that no man should possess… It held me, twisted me, turning me at its bidding. I was enslaved by its power, compelled to devour the souls of the dead until I became the monster of my fears.

I have seen things I wish never to see again. I have done things... of which I wish never to speak... and yet I must if I am to find the answers to fulfill my hope.       

I have walked upon blue ribbons of molten stone to peer into the depth of a man's soul.  

I watched as a promise made at birth brought my friend, Enon, to sacrifice everything to become whole again... all in an effort to save the life of his child.

I have cried without shame for the loss of all I hold dear and for the fear the future holds more than I can bear.

I am Tucker Littlefield. Know all that I say now is true spoken.

 

    I pushed hard at the large wooden door.  It swung open with a well-worn groan.  Stepping inside, I drew a deep breath, filling my lungs with the pungent smells of wood smoke and ale that hung in the air of all good taverns.  Massive beams rooted in the floor rose high into the rafters, spreading their branches like outstretched arms, holding the roof as high as any basilica.  The broad tables, wooden chairs, and wide plank floor, all scuffed with years of use, were like old friends to me.

     "Evening, sir.  I'm so happy to see you."

     "And I you, Toby,"  I said, hanging up my coat.

     "How is your wife this fine night?"

"It isn't polite, Toby, to ask about the welfare of the Devil in a house of worship," I said sternly.

"Sorry, sir.  I meant no offense," he said wryly, just as he always did. 

At fourteen, he played the game well.

"None taken, my boy, none taken," I said, patting him on the shoulder and headed to my usual table. "Now then, my young friend, big fish?  Little fish?  How large a net do we cast tonight?"

"A large one to be sure.  There are people here from seven townships for the telling,"  he said with his usual enthusiasm.

"Seven you say?"  I asked playfully, secretly happy for the news.

"Aye, sir, seven." He beamed.

"Alright then, a large one it is.  Now go tell your father I'm here," I said, pulling the chair out to make myself comfortable.  On the table a folded piece of paper with my name, Tucker Littlefield, written in bold red letters held my place.

Shortly, the sound of heavy footsteps pounded their way out of the kitchen on their way to greet me.

"Tucker,"  Jack's voice boomed out before he reached my table.

"Jack," I said, standing, offering my hand.

"Where's the Devil hiding this night?  Not far behind I'll wager," he said, pumping my arm vigorously.

"Upon my very coat tails, my friend.  Always but a few steps behind," I joked.

"Well, let's hope she doesn't find you until after the telling,"  he said, slapping me hard on the back.

"Toby said some from as far away as seven townships," I said weakly.

"A few, maybe one or two a little farther."

"Well, we'll see then, won't we?"

"Who knows, my friend, maybe one of them will have news."

"Stranger things, I suppose," I said.

"Only good things tonight, huh?  At least until the Devil catches you here," he said, trying to change my mood.

I nodded my agreement.  My mind spun with the thought.

"Something to eat?"  he asked.

"Sure, a little something," I replied.

"Big fish, little fish," he said with a weak smile and returned to the kitchen.

"Big fish, little fish," I called after him.

 

 



© 2012 Tegon Maus


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

um, yeah. It was, interesting.

Posted 11 Years Ago


The story seems interesting so far. Some things are a bit unclear to me, but that just means you managed to write a good opening chapter, drawing the reader deeper into your story.
The only thing I minded is te beginning - it kinda starts off suddenly, and I think it would have been better if you twisted the order of your paragraphs a bit or something like that. But that's not a big deal, so don't worry about it too much.
Good work overall.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I finally made my way to the beginning Tegon, and I like it. I just noticed this one thing: "and yet I must if I am to find the answers to full fill my hope." Shouldn't that be fulfill?


Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

390 Views
3 Reviews
Added on January 7, 2012
Last Updated on July 3, 2012


Author

Tegon Maus
Tegon Maus

CA



About
Dearheart, my wife of fifty one years and I live in Cherry Valley, a little town of 8,200 in Southern California. In that time, I've built a successful remodeling /contracting business. But tha.. more..

Writing