The Aquaintance

The Aquaintance

A Chapter by TerumiF

To be a spy, he thought to himself.

 Life would definitely be exciting, he just had to get through this initiating test, pass it and what was it, yes, a field test or something, piece of pie.

Adam sat at the "La Rue De Gourmets" café as he waited for somebody to show up. He had no idea who or how that person, girl or boy, would walk in and test him for what he thought was an easy, well paying job in "The Belligerents"


I can do it, he thought,

remembering the time when he was a boy of thirteen escaping the wrath of the German capturers. He remembered running, ducking in between the horde of Jews. His mother had been taken away,the same with his father and brother. Oh, how he'd held the hand of his four year old sister and had run, far far away from his family to escape what he knew was torture. They had found a nice lady, dressed all in brown. She seemed amicable at first and trustable as she explained to them a way to leave the country with just them both. He had blindly followed her cue that day and made it through to America, today he guessed he had to do the same.

 

His sister lived in Amsterdam now, far away from him, but he never felt safer than like he did with two countries distant from home, had made him feel. He could never stay in one place forever and he knew that being a spy would mean travelling for impossible missions, running, fighting and killing.

He expected killing to be easy as he was trained after reaching L.A. for combat.  

 

Through the doorway there was a window and the largest pair of eyes he had ever seen. The girl was younger than him, but looked serious enough to be a professor as she turned towards him.
“Who are you?” he asked, since it was rather hard to tell what with the smock and all.
“Me? Oh, I’m lots of things. I just haven’t decided which one I want to be the most of.” She paused and brandished a pencil in his direction. “What do you think?”
 “Pardon?”
 “Well, what do you think? About me?” Stomping her foot in impatience, she waved the pencil in agitation. “Come now, you must think something! Why, I’ve never met someone who couldn’t think, not really.”
He found it harder than he should have expected to answer. “Well, I haven’t ever seen anyone who could be quite as scary with just a pencil.”
That had been a good enough answer apparently, as the girl grinned. “Thank you. And for that matter, I don’t know anyone else quite as excellent at giving compliments.”

She had to be one of the examiners, he thought, displaying his best foot forward. 

 

She was a brunette of about 5'7 with dark green eyes. He couldn't tell her age exactly, as different aspects like her hair and dress made her seem maturely young.

 

"Ask me then, whatever you need to know" He said with complete self-assurance.

"mmm" she mumbled as she looked sceptically at him." How can you be so sure of who I am?"

"You see, I have eyes that are extremely observing and subconsciously, even the way you walk tells me about your possible occupations, and that stern pencil confirmed my suspicion." Adam answered smartly.

"Okay" she said looking taken aback but at the same time impressed by his mere words. 

"Well, right now, a man in his mid forties will walk in with a satchel. He will approach the counter and ask for two red coffees. Listen to me, extremely vigilantly, for once he does, you need to put this bug into his jacket pocket"

She took out a weird shaped tiny mechanical thing and slid it into his hands while acting like she was caressing it.

"keep nodding and smiling while we talk" she said adding a captivating laugh that looked indubitably genuine.

 Even though Adam was kind of trained for this job, he never thought acting would become a part too.  

Maybe I'm not cut out for this, slowly started sinking into his until now confident head.

"No questions asked?."he said

"No questions answered" she replied. 

"Do it with extreme caution. This part's very crucial"

He nodded his head and smiled, trying to act immensely cool but in reality freaking out like a cat being forced to have a bath.

 

Suddenly, the door chimes rang and a man of her description walked in, he was mysterious looking with a scar that cut deep into his left eye. He was built rather bulkily with muscles that screamed to be flaunted, not a looker, frankly speaking but there was more of a killer vibe that escaped his aura. 

 

 Spine chilling really, maybe he's got a hook hidden somewhere thought Adam.

 

The man walked towards the counter.

This was it, Adam had to plant that bug into the man's pocket, into the pocket of a very scary looking, double his size kind of man.

 

Maybe I should just back out? thought Adam to himself.

 

But NO!, he wanted to do this. Three months without a job, he needed this.

He decided to use the old trick in the book then.

"Honey, Two cappuccinos yes?" Adam asked his pretend girlfriend who nodded like she was in love,love that was feign of course.

 

With a certain style and flair, Adam picked himself off of the chair and walked towards the counter as well.

 

He looked up at the man secretively as he made his way towards him.

"Two red coffees Miss" asked the scary looking man.

yup, it's him alright Adam increased his pace and headed straight for the man.

Just then Adam bumped into him acting as if it was by mistake.

"Oh I'm so sorry!" he said and stood behind him as if waiting for his own order.

That was all that was needed. The bug was planted and his job vacancy had now, for sure, been filled. 

Adam looked back triumphantly to assure the woman of his capability and doing, when all of a sudden, someone put a cotton pad to his face.

someone else grabbed his arms and legs from the back.

 It was making him drowsy.

Adam kicked and punched as hard as he could but it all seemed to be in vain. His hands were slowly losing their strength just like his feet. His vision was going blurry as well.

 

what is this?

if it's them, why are they doing this?

 

 "let go of me!!!" Adam screamed wondering how, in the middle of the day, in the middle of this large café , amongst all the customers, he knew for sure were present, could they have caught a hold of him like this.

Adam struggled, all that he could until gradually everything went black and the sense of safety he felt at first in America, was slowly drifting far, far away...

 

"Adam, save your sister and yourself. Run away my love. Mother will be fine." he heard his mother's voice in his head as an aloof memory of these few words being her last to him, echoed through his dreaming head.

 

 



© 2014 TerumiF


Author's Note

TerumiF
feel free to review :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

What an interesting and amusing story! I would like to read more! There is definitely a strong sense of personal voice from the main protagonist, especially through the use of internal thoughts shown in italics. However, there are some grammatical errors which would vastly improve ease of reading if you were to address them. For example, the sentence: "Adam asked his pretend girlfriend who nodded like she was in love(love that's pretend of course)" . The whole phrase in brackets is redundant, and there are some issues with the use of tense throughout every so often. However, I think you should definitely develop the story further; it is quite a fun read!
Keep writing!
GingerCat

Posted 9 Years Ago


TerumiF

9 Years Ago

wow, Thank you. I really appreciate good criticism from those who review my writing. I will make tho.. read more
GingerCat

9 Years Ago

A pleasure! It is always rewarding to hear that comments have been appreciated. :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

183 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 18, 2014
Last Updated on August 23, 2014


Author

TerumiF
TerumiF

India



About
Writing isn't just words to me, because writing takes me to another world. A world where writing is a path to peace, expression, relief and love. SO I WRITE. I DREAM, & I BELIEVE. believe with.. more..

Writing