The Talisman: Royal Guards

The Talisman: Royal Guards

A Story by TheArchDemon

The Royal Guards, members who assist the king to gain more region and help protect it with all their strength. The Royal Guards consist of the three legendary knights who have fought side by side for years, working together the best of them all, most defiantly gaining their title for years to come. Nothing could break the three apart, but the king and sent them on a long journey to a hidden land beyond the mountains, not knowing the consequences that will bring hatred and doubt between them all.
Walking through a thick, insect infested forest, days after being sent orders to explore the new land to see if any enemies approach, The knights become tired. Looking for a shelter for hours, they decide to rest in a small dark cave for the night. When walking in, all they could smell was decay, the moisture on the wall caves, and the small rodents scurrying across their feet.
Hennery, the largest of them all, having the stature of a bear and the strength of a orc. Sitting down on the cave floor, the coldness going straight through him armor making his bones ache, had tossed him helmet down. Echoing throughout the whole cave, the metal sounds pierce the ears of the other two, Jackson and James. Sighing out, he announced “Aye”, saying out with his booming voice, “When the light rises outside, it should be enough to wake us. So whoever wakes first, bring the others up so we can set foot again.” Jackson replied quickly with a normal voice “as you wish sir” them James giving a small nod. 
Them being almost being the completely different, the three actually co-operate very well . Hennery being the most intimidating one of them all, he actually puts fear into Jackson, but they can never tell when he would be afraid because of his loyalty towards him, he would always listen to do what to be told, not knowing fear from respect. Sadly he has always been like this, but that wouldn’t be his first downfall.
Then there is James, the smallest one of the trio, kind of the “runt”, and always remains silent. The actual only time he would verbally communicate with other knights if they were in battle, or if one of them just addresses him. His downfall though is his laziness, just trying to get by day by day with what he needs to do not putting in any actual extra work with what he does. The reason they keep him around isn’t for the strength he has, but for his smarts. He always knows what to do in a dire situation, always getting them out of trouble. 
Day broke and woke up Hennery first. He stood up , towering over the other two, picking up his shinny metal helmet, and the clay-more only he could pick up in the group, then his dragon seal shield. “Rise!” he called out, echoing through the cave, only waking Jackson. Walking over to James, he slammed his metal boots right beside the head of the poor soul that now can barely hear with a sharp ring in his ear, “Aye” yelling out, “why did you have to that for?” standing up, James brushed himself while Hennery just snickered. Putting on the rest of their gear, they prepare to set foot again for the day, but something had caught Hennery’s eye.
Drawing his clay-more with both his hands, he called out in a booming voice “Who approaches!” the other two stance behind him, side by side, swords also drawn. “What do you see?” whispered the two, but without a single word, and with no hesitation, he started to walk further in the cave, Jackson and James follows.  Almost being pitch black, they all get the lanterns that’s strapped against their waists and lit them to get a enough light to see. And what they had was just enough to be startled for what they see.
Walking through the corridors of the cave, strange writing and images started to appear on the wall. “What language is this, can you even read it James?” Walking towards the walls, James examines it, looking up and down, left to right, and tried to distinguish what was scribed and what was drawn on the walls. “To be completely honest…” he paused for a second. “I have never studied any language like this.. or could even fathom what this garbage means”. Both Hennery and Jackson looked at him with doubt, “really now? well we need to go ahead and chart thi-“ 
At that moment a swift dart shot at Hennery’s shoulder, actually just bouncing right off of his shoulder plate. “Well would you look at that, it’s still primitive in this D-“ before he could even finish his sentence again, another dart had shot at him again, but his time the dart had made contact to the back of his right calf muscle. “Ah! Well that one most defiantly got me”. Kneeling down, he rips it out, but leaving him in even more pain. Examining it closer, it revealed to be barbed to the tip.
Aggravated, Hennery threw the dart to the ground and with a deep breath, he rose his foot and smashed down on the dart leaving it at a overkill. Walking away , he put his hand against the helmet. “Um Hennery? You should look at the dart a bit closer” Jackson said worriedly. “what’s the problem, yeah its barbed I know that already?” examining it closer at the ground, a green liquid had oozed out of the barbed needle. 
“Blast it” he yelled out, sitting down on a crumbled statue that fell long ago. “Hennery we have to go back now! Who knows what was in that dart, we have to go back now!” yelled out Jackson. “Aye, Sir knight.. I will be fine for now, I have had worse than this to me and you know it.” Standing back up unsteadily, almost losing his balance. “you Stubborn fool, your strength will be the death of you”.
Walking through the corridors, all three of the knights being more aware, started to hear strange sounds coming deeper from the cave. "what do you think that sound even is?" said Jackson with a low tone of voice. "we are about to find out, do you see that?" stopping all at once, they came to the end of the cave. A large door appeared from the darkness with more of the strange writing all across it.
Hennery,walking up to it dropping his clay-more, and put both his hands on it, opening it up slowly. A large gust of foul stench came within the door. "ugh that smell, what on earth could that be? James said quietly. Hennery, looking at both of them, nodded his head and picked up the clay-more and walked in, both the other knights following behind.
Through the darkness was a small room, having a sinister feeling to it. they all looked more closely to see a small pillar with a shining object sitting perfectly. "what do you think it is Hen.. hey what are you doing we don't know if it is safe yet! trying so stop Hennery from going any further, Jackson grabbed his arm.  

© 2016 TheArchDemon


Author's Note

TheArchDemon
The story isnt done yet, im trying to finish it tonight

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

86 Views
Added on April 14, 2016
Last Updated on April 14, 2016
Tags: super natural, adventure, mystery, knights, hope

Author

TheArchDemon
TheArchDemon

Jefferson City, TN



About
I like to write stories sometimes, i don't really like writing things that are happy, i tend to darker things. I am 17 years old currently, and my name is Joshua more..

Writing