Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Benji Parker

Chapter 1

            “Kiwick?! Where is your brother?!” The ground shook viciously as Rumos inquired his son. The island itself seemed to be falling apart in the recent days, and there was no explanation. The town was under a full scale evacuation and the first one’s out were the Gapos family, minus Ronos who seemed to still be stuck in the town. Kiwick hadn’t seen his brother since last night, he had no idea where he could be but Kiwick assumed he was off in his studies like he often was. “He may still be in the old library, sir!” Shouted Kiwick, “Why on earth does that boy spend so much time there? I’ll have to go back for him.” Rumos headed back into the abyss that was their old town, “If I don’t return in twenty minutes, I want you two to continue without us, we’ll be fine!”. Without really paying attention to his father’s words, Kiwick was reminded of his previous question; It was a good question, Ronos always seemed to go to the library to study and bring nothing back. What did he do in there? Only Ronos knew the answer to that question. It was freezing outside, eventually it became too dangerous to keep waiting around for Rumos and Ronos to return. Kutala and Kiwick were forced to leave their family behind for dead.


            After a year’s time since the incident, the memory was still vivid in Kiwick’s head. Both his brother and father were dead, the night terrors often reminded him. A few more years progressed, Kiwick awoke one day and his mother was gone. He was on his own, Kiwick was the last of his clan to survive. He assumed his mother went mad, and lost herself to the wilderness. Kiwick spent years searching for her, until he had to give up the ghost. His family was gone and he had to move on in order to survive.


            “Come on Kiwick, you’ve been obsessing over this girl for years, lets go” Roger  squinted at his best friend. The rat had a point, Kiwick had been searching for Madam Zena ever since the day they met. “She may be able to help me Roger, have patience” Kiwick glanced back. The two seemed to be inside a sort of ice tavern. Icicles driped with water and splattered across the floor. A cool breeze swept pass Roger’s whiskers as he sniffed the air. He seemed to pick up the scent of something, Kiwick followed behind him closely. Roger’s tail drug across the wet ice as Kiwick pattered behind him, until they reached a light. They were through the tunnel, the exit opened up with a warm embrace.


            A town was just around the corner, the boys stumbled right into the market place. It was hard to believe they were just surrounded by ice. This land was so different, the sand under their foot felt as if it inhaled with every step, and every touch of the wind was warm, it hugged their faces. The town folk were very welcoming, each greeting the boys with a generous smile. Roger continued to follow his nose as Kiwick surveyed the area, until the boys found themselves in a small tent a few miles away from the market. “Welcome”, a voice from the shadows muttered. The two looked at each other with suspicion, “Why did you lead us here Roger?” Kiwick whispered. Kiwick could tell by his face that Roger was just following the smell of his favorite snack, Blue Watermelon. A dark figure grew from the shadows holding a Blue Watermelon, wearing a black cape, and a menacing mask. “Well, was there anything WE could help you boys with?” the figure seemed to use a more serious tone. “We?” Kiwick’s nerves were uneasy, “Roger we have to...” but it was too late, the boys we’re surrounded by a clan of cryptic characters. Roger ran up Kiwick’s flipper and hid under his wing, there was no way of escape; the best Kiwick could do was prepare for battle. As Kiwick began to take a fighting stance a club came hurling from behind, bashing his head onto the ground. The battle was over before it even began, Kiwick was unconscious.



© 2013 Benji Parker


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
Added on June 2, 2013
Last Updated on June 2, 2013


Author

Benji Parker
Benji Parker

Durham, NC



About
"To Know What Is Right And Not Do It Is The Worst Cowardice" more..

Writing