Chapter One - The arrival

Chapter One - The arrival

A Chapter by Death Stalker
"

Like every other "books" there is always a chapter of how did the protagonist arrive at this location, etc.

"

“WAKE UP!” A voice dared to raid my ear drums. My eyes struggle to peel back; my wife was just shaking me awake. “You’re going to be late for your first day at your job!”


I groaned, “I don’t want to work with a bunch of freaks!”


“So what!?” My wife growled, “You need all the money you can possibly get! Lookie here! The pay of this job is good!”


Yeah, a lot of money I need to get a divorce… I thought. As if my wife read my mind, she ripped the blanket off me and screams, “Get off the damn bed and get in the damn car!”


I sat up quickly, anger rising. “Why? So you can buy all the booze you want?” I knew I’ve crossed the line.


My wife looks at me, growled and ran into the bathroom.


I stepped outside for the needed fresh air. Fresh air, to me, are like coffee to others. The sun temporary blinded me. I walk to the back of the car and check the trunk; all of the suitcases are there from yesterday packing.


As I turn around to make sure I closed the door of the house, my daughter came into view. “Can I come with you? I don’t want to stay with Mom” She asked.


I smiled because I knew I am not the only one who hates my wife. But I then frowned because I can’t take my daughter with me. “I’m sorry but I can’t. The job is 1078 miles away, which is about 14 hours away and my job is a dangerous job. Besides, your school is here, not at Washington State…”  I smiled, trying to reassure my beautiful daughter.


“How about I stay at my friend’s house? Like Betsy, she got a guest bedroom.” My daughter pleads.


“Sorry, but I doubt Besty, or any other friends of yours, are willing to let you in their house for 6 months. Just be patient with your mom, I’ll be back before you know it.” I calmly speak.


“Ok…” My daughter bows her head, clearly showing defeat. I hugged her goodbye. As I got into my car, I start to relax, yet feeling guilty about leaving my daughter with that b***h. I start the car, fighting the urge to go out of the car and tell my daughter to come with me to Washington state.

Then I hit the gas and squealed off. I slowed down to go over the speed bump off the apartment's parking spot. But for some reason, this speed bump is louder when I went over it, very unusual as it don't do that everyday.

 

2 hours into the drive, my stomach decides to have a tantrum because it doesn't have food. I pulled over to my favorite fast food: In and Out Burger. I call back home. “What? Have you arrived there yet?” My wife said, with a hint of sadness in her voice.


“Not yet, I just want to know, how’s our daughter doing back at Ajo?” I asked. Ajo is a name of the town we live in.


“I can’t find her! I am looking all over the damn place! I asked the neighbors, no one have seen her! It’s like she vanished!” My wife cries, nearly hysterically.


Panic took over my hunger. “Umm... Keep looking, check Benny’s house, our daughter likes Benny’s Son.”


“Ok.” My wife said faintly. I opened the trunk door to get my wallet. I usually keep it in a container in the trunk.


Once the trunk is open, I was surprise of what I saw, my daughter, smack-dab, in the trunk. “What the hell are you doing in there?” I asked.


“I wanted to come with; I am not going to stay with Mom!” My daughter’s eyes told me that she is determinate to go with me. “Why? Why can’t you stay in the dormitory at school?” I asked.


My daughter seems frustrated and seems to be holding something. “I get abused everyday at school, and every time you’re gone, I get abused from Mom. I just can’t stay at Ajo!”


“Really? Where’s your proof?” I asked, I tend to be gullible, so I have to be careful with what I said. My daughter, seemly angry at my doubt, pulls out my laptop and inserts an usb from her phone to my computer, then she pulls up several videos.


I watched the video and I see nothing but adults in suit pushing and hitting my daughter, and I also see my wife dragging my daughter and throw her in the bath, and attempt to drown my daughter. Everything my wife said was a lie… "How did you get the videos?" I asked.


"Everytime I see Mom or the teachers get the urge to harm me, and I tend to leave my phone on camcorder, meaning I just click record and secretly push the button and point toward the teachers or my mom."


I instantly start apologizing.


“Its ok dad, I just want to escape from the pain.”


A realization hit me, the loud thump I heard back at the apartment was clearly my daughter sneaking in the trunk. I smiled and told my daughter, "You got guts, getting on board a moving car."


My stomach decides to grab the muscles behind my belly and violently shake it. A faint rumble is heard. “Come on, I’m sure you’re starving as well.” We enter the In and Out Burger. Afterwards we board up on the road and ride to Medical Lake, Washington State. After 12 hours, it was nearly 6 in the morning; I luckily arrived at Eastern Washington Hospital, just before 6 arrived otherwise I’ll be late.


As I pulled up to the hospital, I notice something odd. The person who gave me a job said Eastern Washington Hospital over the phone, but I looked at it, it didn’t say that, it said Eastern Washington Hospital for the Insane. My daughter woke up and groaned. “I thought your job is in a hospital, not some insane hospital…”


“I thought so too, that what Bill said over the phone.” I pressed the brake and set it to park. I turned off the car and a person came out of the entrance. “Hey Tom, I thought you will show up at noon,” A familiar sound scream from the figure walking up to us.


I realized it was just Bill, “Hey Bill! I was wondering what you will look like.” I smiled, shaking hands with Bill. “This is my daughter, Luna.” I point to my daughter.


“How do you do.” Luna smiled, shaking hands with Bill.


“Come in! It’s starting to snowing outside. The lowest is supposed to be 10 degree! So bundle up!” Bill guides us inside. “You’re lucky we have extra beds, I didn’t know you’re going to have company!”


So do I… I thought.


“Go ahead and sleep, you look like your life has been sucked right out of you.”


We were eager to follow orders. We fell asleep before our head hits the pillow.

 

After waking up, Bill guided us to each Insanes. There is one Insane he doesn’t want to introduce us, but he said he’s required to. The Insane is named Mort.


“Why is his name Mort?” Luna asked. “Because it means death in French, and death is pretty much what you will get once you enter the room. Have you notice the difference between this room and the other room?” Bill asked.


“Thicker walls and doors” I said, observing Mort, he is sitting on the floor, his hair is medium long, with group of hair lay over one of his eyes. His hair style is similar to Luna, Luna have black hair and a group of hair over one eye. Mort looked at us, chills creep down my spine. I realized he isn’t looking at me, but looking at my daughter.


“Tom?” Bill asked, interrupting my train of thought.


“Yes?” I said.


“I said touch the door please.” Bill smiled. Luna and I touched the door, we backed off from the cold shock. Bill smiled. “We don’t know why, but his room are always below freezing, even in the summer time! We are suspecting that he is not human, we are suspecting that his body is radiating the cold.”


“Can I work here? I want to help him…” Luna said out of no where.


Bill’s smile turns to a frown. “Listen little girl, he’s-“


 “I’m not little! I’m 16 years old!” Luna growled.


“Listen, you’re not the only one who wants to help him, many people tried…” Bill said, in a whisper, as if he thinks Mort is going to hear him.


“What happened to them?” I asked. “They all died, males died from being eaten by him. Females dies of hypothermia.”


“So… I can put on more than 3 Coats and go help him…” Luna thought out loud, her eyes flashing determination.


Bill thought about it… “No one tried that… Sure, you start today, and enter this room at your own risk. As for you Tom, you’re going to be helping Insane number 356. Follow me will ya. Luna, feel free to get your 3 coats, 3 sweatpants, anything to keep you warm and enter.” Bill looks at Luna to see if Luna is willing to change her mind.


“Aye aye sir!” Luna smiled. Bill smiled and signal me to follow him. Do not worry Tom, I won’t harm your daughter. A raspy voice enters my head. I look at Mort; he smiled, and then winked at me. I panicked and quickly walk to Bill.



© 2012 Death Stalker


Author's Note

Death Stalker
The first chapter of Insane Asylum, the locations in this story is true, Eastern Washington Hospital for the insane is actually a true asylum, but it's abandoned in real life. The characters in this story, however, are fiction.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I agree you should put things in to paragraphs and ur dialougue should have a paragraph of their own. The begiining ehwere he called the ppl freaks, that didn't sound very adult like to me. and how did his daughter get the videos of the adults abusing her?
The job is 1078 miles away, which is about 14 hours away and my job is a dangerous job.-My job is a long way from here and it's very dangerous.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very interesting story! I like the way the main character was surprised that his job wasn't at a medical hospital but an insane asylum instead. The character, Mort, sounds quite interesting. Can't wait to read more.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


You really need to make a new paragraph when you change speakers. Also indent new paragraphs.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


Nice story, very suspenseful. Since you reviewed mine i'll review back as a thank you. Only problem for me was the indenting because sometimes i couldnt tell who was speaking. Best reguards,
abithappier
abithappier

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

243 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 11, 2011
Last Updated on March 20, 2012


Author

Death Stalker
Death Stalker

Tucson, AZ



About
I like to write, any story that lurks into my mind. I've been writing as long as I can remember. It all started with nothing to do, it was nighttime... I was sleeping, I have a vivid dream, that ta.. more..

Writing