Sun-Kissed cities and Kind Gentlemen-4

Sun-Kissed cities and Kind Gentlemen-4

A Chapter by Aish Iyer


Dear Alex,


It's not the destination but the Journey that must be treasured”

I remember how that line was always sealed upon your lips. I never believed it. I always thought the race was run for the final spot, to come in first place. For the overbearing satisfaction that you had beaten someone to the end. But you were always different weren't you?

You were the girl who peered over the side-lines and waited with bating breath for every sunrise as another fool flew past you.


You were the one who stopped.



Tori cracked open one eye as she peered down from the tiny window beside her. In front of her eyes she saw the entire world slipping away in silence, treasured in the silhouette of the wafting clouds. She had heard that the sight of a town or a city from an aircraft miles above was more than splendid, it was baffling. She never understood why people had built up the importance of one moment onto such greatness, she never believed one bit even if it was Alex repeating the same tenet over and over again.


But baring witness to a ray of light breaking through a crack in the mesh of clouds, spreading all its glory over barren lands and blue lagoons, seemed to humble even the most hypocritical of people. Tearing her eyes away from the spectacle she spied on the slouched figure of a snoring Reyna beside her. Her brown hair thrown into tangles, she looked jovial even in her sleep, the hint of a smile playing at her lips. A seat across Reyna, she could find Sam typing away on his computer propped on his lap. A look of determination painted on his face as his fingers flew over the black surface. Tori had watched Sam work too many times, but the worry of seeing him work too hard never failed to make an appearance. She had never voiced her thoughts, maybe that was the way he had always been.


Returning her glance back to the window, she saw a piece of land snaking its way around the blue surface.


So, this is Dubai?


Heaving a sigh, she rummaged through her brown book bag to find something that would keep her mind occupied for some more time. The tiny television set, if it could be called that, blinked in front of her. She had done her set of research as soon as she sat in her seat at the start of this journey.


It would be an 7 hour flight to their destination, and there was just half an hour of it left. At this time of year, Dubai had just slipped into one of its coldest months, morning fog was a usual sight on the roads and temperatures ranging around 14-24 degrees celcius were the general case


Atleast I have packed well, she mused.


“Are you going to read again?”, Sam questioned as he looked over Reyna at the green-covered paperback in Tori's hands. She looked down at the latest book of a new author she had discovered and tossed around with the question. She had read this book over a thousand times, yet she loved returning to that world again. There was just something appealing about fictitious world out of one's reach.


“No, maybe not”, she threw the book back into her bag and looked up at Sam packing in the laptop neatly into his black case. She wondered out loud if she had disturbed his work.


“Nothing of that sort, I just need a break sometimes you know?”, he cracked a smile. It was a faint ghost of one, but maybe that was all he could offer.


“Is that why you got us along?”, she questioned him again.


“Maybe. But mostly I thought you'd like a change of weather.”


“London weather is quite rubbish”, she agreed.


“True. You can never have enough of that gloomy weather”, he barked out a laugh.


“Aye. Since when did we expect a steady going weather?”


“No we can't have that now can we?”, he wagged his finger threateningly, as if he was explaining to a four-year old.


Soon enough the sister and brother-in-law pair had gotten to poking fun at the various trade-mark facts that built up the reputation of that beautiful city. Jabbing at each other with their fingers, they played many fictional characters who demanded respect in their times, but in these ages had been diminished to mere pictures on a mantle.


“Say Milady, Why aren't the English soccer team allowed to own a dog”


“I wouldn't know good sir”


“Why It's because they can't hold on to a lead”, Sam says while tugging at the ends of his imaginary mustache. Looking at the smug look on his face, Tori doubles up laughing at the age old English joke she had heard over and over again. Even then this was rich coming from Sam, who happened to be a “proper Gentleman” right now.


The sudden outburst had shook an unknowing Reyna awake. Stretching her arms over her head, she let out a huge yawn which she didn't bother covering with her palm, before she sat back in her seat to peer at the pair curiously.


“What's been going on here you two?”, she mumbled still groggy from her little nap.


Tori let out a shy giggle at the interrogation before Sam jumped back into his role and tsked Rey for being such a formidable uncouth young lady. Reyna looked flabbergasted by the sudden change in character of the always-cheery Sam into mister Rules-it-all. For a second her head bobbed from Tori's face hidden in her hands to Sam's face etched with disgust, before her two companions fell into hysterical laughter in unison.


“Oh god, Your face..”


“Priceless”, Tori squeaked as she clutched at her now aching stomach.


Reyna simply humphed her disapproval before shoving past Sam to get to the tiny washroom at the end of the aisle.


Looking back, a small smile had been etched on her face as the two people on the seats 35 B and C threw incredulous looks over at her laughing companions.


Oh well.




“Phew. So how long is that bloke going to take”, Reyna sighed out the words in an exaggerated manner. The sun was beating down on at 2 in the afternoon in Dubai as the four people stood out in line for their Hotel Cab.


Sam took out his mobile once more, his brows furrowed in annoyance as he typed something into the phone. Just then a huge Black range-rover rolled into the street and screeched to a stop in front of the group with astonished looks etched upon their face.


Jer raised his brows in shock as a small dark-skinned man jumped out of the driver's seat and rushed to welcome the troop.


“I'm so sorry sir, But the parking here is extensive and confusing. You're Samuel Hasting I hope?”


Quickly nodding his approval, Sam trudged to the back of the car where the trunk door was open. Shoving all the suitcases inside, he carried onto get into the front seat as Tori, Rey and Jer piled into the back. Just like that, all of them fell into a comfortable silence on their way to the hotel they were staying in.


Jer let out a yawn before starting into his usual cheery monologue.


“Here we are. Dubai. The deserted land. The city filled with lights. I bet you are all going to have so much fun.”


He cracked a smile at Tori, who nodded and peered outside at the swiftly passing scenery. Reyna gasped at the sudden amount of greenery she saw gracefully adding to the beauty of the city. She had never expected to see so many flowers or carefully trimmed grass paving the sides of the road.


“I thought this was a desert”, Rey turned to Jer with question in her eyes.


“But here they do everything possible to not seem like one. It really is marvelous actually.”


“Do they have enough water to drink?”, Tori mumbled with her hands on her chin.


Jer and sam exchanged a glance before both of them started guffawing at the comment.


“What? Seems like a good question to me”, Reyna defended her friend, her arms crossed across her chest in defiance.


“What do you think? They won't have water to drink here? C'mon Tori, what kind of a question is that?”


Mumbling a quick apology, Tori looked out the window in embarrassment.


The car ride was short, they had stopped in front of a huge golden building majestically standing as the sun threw bright light around its edges. A gasp of astonishment and wonder escaped her lips as Tori got out of the car, watching her friends wheel in their luggage into the building.


Sheraton Hotel Apartments, it said. Thanking the driver one more time, she wheeled in her baggage before the troop decided to leave her behind. The inside of the hotel, or hotel apartments, was just as exquisitely furnished as the outside. It was even more lavish on the inside, if that were even possible.


Glass chandeliers hung from the high ceiling and looked down upon ocher green tinted couches laid out for the guests. Plopping down on a gold chair over looking a tiny fountain in the middle of the lobby, she looked around the area, letting her eyes flit about the luxurious scenery. She hadn't been in fabulous hotels like this since long. She really had missed this, being away from home. Waking up in stranger territory and finding her way around. She looked up at a smiling Jer making his way to where she was sitting, leaving behind Sam and Reyna to deal with the intimidating woman behind the counter.


“You really look awe-struck”, he chirped.


“I...I am. This is beautiful.”, she gasped.


“And you haven't even seen the rest of the city”


“Is it really that good?”


“I'll show you around if you want”, he mumbled under his breath, as if he wasn't sure of his claim. Or rather, afraid of the answer.


“You wouldn't mind?”, Tori inquired. She didn't want to trouble this young man who hadn't been anything but kind to her since the beginning. She often wondered why. But maybe it was just human nature to be polite at first.


Jer had looked up when she had squeaked out the question. Almost as if she wanted reassurance on his tall claim. His lips curved into a smile. She didn't know that it would be the last thing to bother him. Hell, anything concerning her could never be a bother to him. How could it? She was so priceless.


You don't even know her yet, he mentally cursed himself.


“I'm showing you around and that's that”, he had surprised himself with the undeterred conviction he showed in those words. He didn't think he had it in him. Watching a faint smile growing on her face as she nodded her head in agreement, his worries flew away.


Oh yeah, He certainly had it in him.




© 2013 Aish Iyer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
Added on July 29, 2013
Last Updated on July 29, 2013


Author

Aish Iyer
Aish Iyer

Dubai, United Arab Emirates



About
Avid Reader, Teen writer, blogger, You-tuber, full time fangirl more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Aish Iyer