Chapter 2 Aerona

Chapter 2 Aerona

A Chapter by The Red Raven

Time passes by without notice in the days that follow my meeting with the siblings. The guards had not found me again afterwards, leaving me to go free until the next occasion where I would meet them.

So hungry. When have last I eaten? I cannot remember.

It is better not to show my face at the Great Market lest Midluth recognizes me and sends me running again.

I am also too prideful to beg for scraps. I could go to The Shrine and Bull to ask for food, but in my eyes it is the same case. What a way to live.

‘I understand you may not like me, but if you need anything please come find me. I'd like to know what it is like on the other side, I want to understand you.' That is what the girl said and the feeling of starving almost sends me to Port Plaza to act on those words. Maybe if I go to their mansion and she happens to open, I will get lucky.

No, that is a foolish idea, because the chance of someone else opening up only to slam the door in my face is bigger.

Damn, it is hard to acquire bread in this place.

There is no other way about it, I have to head in the direction of the Great Market and steal some food. Though, I could also try my luck at cutting purses today. At least I can then say I honestly paid for the food, provided everything goes as expected and the robbed fool will not scream murder. I simply do not have the energy today to run my feet to the Nether and play another round of hide and seek.

I get up from my straw bed and scramble to my feet, put on the only clothes I have - a pair of brown pants, boots in a matching colour, a simple white shirt and a black vest. Raking my hands through my ash brown hair keeps it from getting out of hand too much. Why use a brush when you can be your own? I do miss one, I will have to admit that, but it is nothing more than a luxury in this life.

Silently, I do not want to disturb any of the poor sods with whom I share a space at the canal as trouble is sure to follow- which I learned the hard way- I leave the spot I have been calling home since I landed on the streets.

If I recall correctly, today is the monthly meeting at the Hall of Blood. I do not know exactly what it is they do there, but I do know a lot of them Church fancy pants gather among others such as the judges, agents of The Inquisition and king Vorigrun. Coin is certain to be had, if I do not take too much of a risk and rob the right person. May Guilia bless my luck. I leave Huguenot behind and go en route to Dragon's Terrace on the east side of the city.

Slowly but surely the simple brick houses with straw roofs are becoming bigger and more grandstanding. When I pass the last house with a tiled roof, which is a sign of average wealth, I know I have made it to the gathering place.

All around me tall houses made of sturdy stone and windowpanes with leaded glass form a district for rich highborns. To reach the front door, you have to cross a small porch that is adorned with wooden decorated bows. Every building has one, enhancing the beauty of this part of town. Someone like me can only dream as to ever be able to live here. On the other hand, why in the name of the Dragon would I want to live among them rich folks? The people who look down on me and my peers? When the opportunity arises that I get the choice to either live here or somewhere in my own district or one similar to it, then I would rather live among the people that have formed my life.

It is not far to the Hall of Blood, perhaps a five minute walk when you take the shortcuts I always use. The building itself is the size of two to three of the chic mansions it is surrounded by. Heavy red-painted wooden doors form the entrance and look as if they are guarded by the six onyx dragon statues, neatly in sets of three and forming a path to the hall.

I hide my dagger, one of the last things da ever gave me, in the sleeve of my shirt and approach the men in gorgeous embroidered gowns with an image of Sagroyca, the Dragon God, a big green and yellow dragon that has long white whiskers and claws that look as if they can easily grab multiple tundra cats, those big furry predators that roam the fields west of the city.

‘Here goes nothing,' I mumble to myself, observing the important gathering and trying to detect a target. ‘Lady Guilia and Gerbrode protect me, Vanir guide me.' Hopefully the lady of luck and her protecting husband will prevent the worst from happening and their forsaken brother will hide me in shadow and thus grant my escape if it is necessary. Casually I walk as if I am just on my way to the city centre and have no eye for the adults.

None of them goes anywhere without a pouch filled with a couple of coins, because what if they get hungry or thirsty and there is no food nearby? Who will pay a servant to get some? Or if they find a nice trinket before they arrive that they just have to acquire?

All of them have money on them, I only have to cut it loose from their belts swiftly. I bump into the first man that crosses my path. An old priest or something of the like, I do not know what he does. I apologize as he looks at me with disgust, as if I am some gutter rat, which is true in a sense. After he finally ends his lecture, I brush closely past him and move the blade under the palm of my hand to cut the rope that holds his money-bag attached to him. Held, better said.  I catch it before it can fall noisily on the ground and betray me. I pretend to stretch and let it slide into the sleeve of my vest. That is one, just a few more.

In that manner I go around, robbing more men of standing and hiding the gold in my sleeves.

Before I decide to call it a day and get the Nether away from them, I hide some of the purses in my boots, flattened by me feet, and go on to the last target. That was a grave mistake.

As my blade cuts through the attachment like a knife through butter that is room temperature, the man notices and grabs my wrist. ‘What are you doing, kid?' he asks sternly, but not furious.

‘Let me go.' I struggle to free myself from his grip, but it has the opposite effect as it tightens.

He feels his side, where no longer the outline of his money can be felt. He clacks his tongue and shakes his head. ‘May I have my purse back? I do not believe it to be yours.'

‘I don't know what you're talking about, sir.'

‘Haven't your parents not taught you it is very rude to lie? I know you have it.'

‘I don't, I swear.' I look up into the man's eyes with as sincere a look I can muster.

A scar over the right golden eye, black hair streaked with grey. Bullocks, I tried to rob Alexander Blackburn. I curse myself inwardly and can already see the sword that will chop off my hand.

‘Judging by your expression, you know who I am. Be honest, girl.' His voice is strangely calm and friendly. He lets go of my wrist and I shake his money-bag out of my sleeve to give it back. ‘Thank you. Now, I am quite positive I am not the first you have robbed today. How about you give me their gold and I'll see to it they are returned to their rightful owners?'

‘Who says you will not steal their money like I had,' I say with great audacity, putting my hand over my mouth as soon as I said it. Now I can forget a future in The Inquisition completely.

Blackburn laughs heartily. ‘You certainly have a sense for humour, lass. Where are your parents? I'll bring you to them.'

‘They're dead, sir. Mutant killed them when they returned from Scarborough.'

His expression softens, pity slipping in. Gods, I hate it when that happens. I do not want pity, I want revenge. ‘Is someone else looking after you? A family member here in Hemchurch?'

I shake my head. ‘I'm by my lonesome, sir. Living on the streets of Huguenot I do.'

‘An orphan.' He rubs his chin and regards me thoughtfully, pondering something. ‘I have a son of the same age as you, a good lad. You might like him.'

‘Perchance, I can't know unless he and I meet.'

‘How about I take you in and introduce you to him?'

I look at him and feel as if my eyes will pop out of their sockets. Does he mean what I think he does? ‘Sir, I don't understand what you say.'

‘Of course we'll have to do something about the habit of stealing and clean you up. Can you read?' I shake my head. ‘Then we will have to educate you as well. Diana, my daughter, can help you with that.'

It sounds as if he wants to change who I am and I do not like that at all. ‘I am not someone's puppet, I am my own woman d****t!' I protest, only to be repaid by an amused grin. I will never transform into something I am not.

‘What language for a lady.' He sighs. ‘Children these days with the way of the streets. So foul. Though, I'll tell you a secret, I do swear also at times. However, you cannot do it as much from now on. We have to maintain a certain image.'

‘I ain't gonna live with you, sir.' I add the formality with an air of sarcasm. ‘I will return to Huguenot and vanish there. You will never see me again, I promise.'

Taking a step back to turn the other way and leave in the direction I had come from, he says something that catches my attention. ‘Not even when it can provide you a chance to join The Inquisition?'

I look at him with a mix of astonishment, curiosity and doubt. I do want to join them, but not as someone I am not. Though, I want to kill the mutants and am interested in the offer now. He sees the inner fight. ‘You are like my son, wanting to protect others and fight the evil spawns. If you join our family, you can start at a higher rank and do so much more than when you turn me away. So, what do you say?'

Dragon's breath, how can I say no after hearing that? I straighten my back, square my shoulders and look at him determinedly. ‘One condition, I will remain who I am. No fancy clothes and talk if it is not needed. I will retain free will.'

Alexander chuckles. ‘You're a tough one, lass. I accept your terms.' He extends his big hand. ‘Is it a deal, then?'

I shake his hand. ‘Deal.'

He smiles delighted. ‘Welcome to the Blackburn family, miss...'

‘Aerona.'

‘Aerona Blackburn, a strong name for a strong gal.'

‘Judge Blackburn, your presence is requested by The Council,' the man whom I recognize as Rengorv Ebbrell, says to my new da when he joins us.

‘Those old b******s can wait. Rengorv, my good lad, meet my daughter, Aerona.'

‘Since when do you have another daughter? I thought you only had Diana.' Confused, the agent of The Inquisition looks at me.

‘I adopted her a minute ago,' the judge answers with a fatherly tone in his voice. ‘Tell them they can wait or that I am not feeling well and have returned home. Anyway, think of an excuse for my absence.'

‘But, sir-'

‘Just do it, Ren, please. I will repay the favour.'

Ebbrell sighs and shakes his head. ‘They won't be happy, but fine. I'll make up some white lie. Still tricky as ever, I see.'

Blackburn gives him a pat on the shoulder. ‘That I am, son. Try to survive it, Mira'd appreciate it. And come over for dinner soon, we have to celebrate Aerona's adoption. I'll invite the others too.'

There will be a party because of me? It must be normal for highborns to celebrate their kin, for me not so much. I have a feeling it will be very odd.

‘I'll tell her. Take care, my friend.' He says his goodbyes and disappears into the building, closing the doors behind him.

‘Let's get on our way, dear. I want you to meet your family.' He takes me by the hand and we go on our way to the Blackburn estate.

 

We come to a halt in front of a big house made of light stone and with grey roof tiles. Beautiful leaded windows, though only the upside of the glass is decorated, adorn the front side of the house. The veranda is made of a dark grey wood and the wooden fence that connects the bows is carved to look like dragons.

The inside is just as gorgeous. A big wide staircase fills up most of the room and almost splits it in two. A red carpet is placed in the middle of it. The floor is made of marble tiles, the walls half wood and half wallpaper with intricate designs. It feels as if I am in a dream, unable to believe I will truly live here from now on.

A black-haired girl in a red gown decorated with golden flames comes running down the steps. ‘Father, shouldn't you be at the meeting? Why are you back?'

A small boy in black boots, pants in the same colour and a blue vest with embroidered reddish brown phoenix feathers along the sleeves, follows closely behind. ‘Sis, wait! Not so fast!' After he caught up and sees me, he looks baffled yet delighted at the same time. ‘Hey, I know you.' His golden eyes light up.

Well, would you look at that? The brother and sister from the execution.

Or should I say, my siblings?



© 2017 The Red Raven


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
Added on June 19, 2017
Last Updated on June 20, 2017
Tags: fantasy, dragons, war, love, friendship, politics, medieval


Author

The Red Raven
The Red Raven

Netherlands



About
I am an amateur writer who has managed to get her book published last year. Overall, I would describe my style as being similar to Edgar Allan Poe. However, I do like to experiment with different gen.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by The Red Raven