Portal

Portal

A Story by Thnift
"

A work in progress that if people like I'll continue on. My only problem is that I can get a good starting (in my opinion) but after that I sort of blank out and have no ideas.

"

Chapter 1



“Hey Alister,” Mark called back “Hurry up, we're falling behind because of you.”


It was cross country today and one of the hottest days of the school year. Alister and his two friend Mark and Stuart were running along with him, or, to be more accurate in front of him... way in front.


“Come on guys,” Alister panted “couldn’t we stop for a little while?”


Alister wasn’t in bad shape, when you thought about it he was probably one of the fittest kids in his school, but he had always had a problem with running. He played hockey and curled, golfed and played baseball, was always one of the best at shot put and and loves bowling, but he can’t run. He was taken to the hospital to see if anything was wrong and the doctor was mystified. Now after a couple of years it has become somewhat of a joke with his friends.


“No, are you kidding!” Mark shouted “We’re already behind, Carter’s lapped us, twice!”


Carter is the same bully that they have at every school across North America, not very smart but with a lot of muscle. He had always tormented Alister about his inability to run.


Alister finally gave up after about 300 meters and started to walk. Stuart held up Mark.


“Hey what are you doing?” Mark asked “You want to stop? Its not our fault he’s slow.”


“I know, but we’re his friends, so what if we don’t get to go to cross country, I don’t really want to go anyways.”


“Well I do, and I don’t want to look like a dweeb, walking while everyone else is running. Didn’t you see Ashley checking me out today. If you’re going to stay with him then I guess I’ll just go and see if I can run with her.”


Ashley was the most popular girl in the school, everybody liked her. Even some of the bolder grade fives had asked her out. Alister was currently sitting beside her in homeroom, he’d been trying to get her attention for weeks, but she obviously didn’t feel anything for him.


Mark, true to his word, took off and left Stuart heading back to Alister.


“Don’t mind him he just thinks Ashley likes him,” Stuart said “He’ll blow over by the time she leaves him in the dust.”


Ashley has always been the fastest in the school, she’s always come first in cross country and track and field, and even beat the gym teacher in a race. Mark, who wasn’t actually that good of a runner anyways, would be hard pressed to keep up with her.


After a couple of minutes Alister felt ready to continue the cross country. He actually made a new record that day, 1500 metres in 11 minutes 29 seconds.



Alister was the first out of the change-room, not having anything else to do, he tried once more to get Ashley's attention. Today it seemed, Ashley was even more ignorant of him. He didn’t see why? He knew he wasn’t the most popular person in Moorefield Middle School, but he thought he at least had a chance with her.


“Hey Al... Al!”


“What?!” Alister turned around, the voice sounded strangely familiar.


“Are you all right man?”


“Steve? Steve is that you?” Alister asked peering at the person in front of him who sounded so much like his friend.


“Yep it’s me all right”


Suddenly Alister recognized his friend.”What happened to you?”


“I had a bit of a climbing accident.”

“Are you kidding, you look like you got hit by a truck!”

© 2011 Thnift


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I'd like to know more about what will happen next. This little opening could use some work as far as grammar goes but it's a start. I like the main character's name Alister. It's definitely a name to remember. I'd like to know more about the characters and more description. Good start!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

You have my attention....so where does it go from here? So eager to find out! Very well done right now, just keep going!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I'd like to know more about what will happen next. This little opening could use some work as far as grammar goes but it's a start. I like the main character's name Alister. It's definitely a name to remember. I'd like to know more about the characters and more description. Good start!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

251 Views
2 Reviews
Added on July 26, 2011
Last Updated on September 10, 2011
Tags: Fiction, Fantasy, Alister

Author

Thnift
Thnift

Canada



Writing
Lore Lore

A Story by Thnift


Lore 2 Lore 2

A Story by Thnift