Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Kristen

Prologue

Moving Day

 

            Michelle had her nose glued to the backseat window of Mommy and Daddy’s car. “Look! Look! There it is! There it is!” she cried out bouncing up and down in her booster seat.              

Mommy turned around in the passenger seat to look at Michelle, “Yes sweetie, there it is! That’s our new home! Daddy and I know you’ll love it here; we picked out your room already. I hope you’ll like it.”

            “Oh I will Mommy, I know it. Thank you.” Michelle said, too excited to pay much attention. There were lots of other people to look at outside on her new street. They were moving in too she guessed. Lots of them had moving vans in the driveways just like the one behind Mommy and Daddy’s car.

            Daddy pulled into the driveway of the very last house on the left. It had a big yard, which Michelle thought was nice. “Daddy,” Michelle said.                      

            “Yes pumpkin?” he replied.                            

            “Can I get out now, and go inside? I want to smell the new house smell.”                                   

             “Yes Michelle you may.” Daddy chuckled as he got out of the car himself.                    

             Michelle unbuckled her seatbelt and climbed out of the car. She ran to the front door, racing Mommy even though Mommy didn’t know they were racing. Michelle always won those kinds of races, the ones where nobody knew they were racing her.                  

            As Michelle ran up the drive she was hit in the head with a bright red ball. She fell on her bottom and bit her tongue. She felt tears coming but she quickly wiped them away and got up. She didn’t like people to see her cry. She didn’t want to look like a baby.                                        

“Hey!” A boy who looked a little older than Michelle ran up to her, stopping a few feet in front of her. “Sorry about hitting you, I didn’t mean to. I just bounced the ball and it got away from me.” He said with a friendly grin.                         

        “It’s okay. Here’s your ball.” Michelle picked up the red ball and handed it to the boy.”                                                                       “Thanks,” he said taking it, “I’m Michael by the way, but my mom and dad call me Mike sometimes.”                                     

Mommy came up to Michelle and Mike and offered to shake Mike’s hand. “Hello I’m Michelle’s mother Mrs. Owens.” She warmly smiled at Mike.                  

           “Hi, Mrs. Owens I’m Michael Welton.” He said taking Mrs. Owens’ hand.               

          A pretty lady who had Mike’s color of brown hair walked up over to the trio. “Hello! I see you’ve met my son Michael.” She said, smiling at Michelle. Mrs. Welton turned her attention to the other mother. “I’m Rachel Welton; you must be our new next door neighbors! Though I don’t know if you call it that, since we’re new here too!” she joked.                                         

          Mommy laughed and replied, “Hello Rachel, I’m Krista Owens. This is my daughter Michelle. My husband Robert is somewhere around here,” She said, craning her neck and looking around, “helping the movers unload everything I’d guess.”                                    

        “My husband Geoffrey is upstairs attempting to install surround sound in our bedroom.” Mrs. Welton said with a sigh. “I see no need of having surround sound in our bedroom!”                                 “Shh!” hushed Michelle’s mother, “don’t give Robert any ideas!” An instant chorus of laughter erupted from the two. Michelle was glad Mommy made a new best friend.                                              Mike was grinning at his mother and at Michelle’s mother, just as amused as Michelle. “Want to play with me?” he asked Michelle, holding up the red ball.                              “Okay, just don’t hit me again!” Michelle said running into Mike’s yard.                                    

       “Hey! Wait up for me Michelle!” Mike called after her. He beat Michelle even though she had a head start. He had longer legs. It wasn’t fair.                    

        Michael and Michelle bounced the ball back and forth. When that got boring they played tag. But tag wasn’t very much fun because there was only the two of them. Michelle- tired-collapsed onto the soft grass, sitting Indian style. Mike sat down next to her. “So what grade are you going into next year anyways?” he asked.       

        “First grade, I’m six. What about you?"

         “I’m seven, and I’m going to be in the second grade.” He said proudly.

Michelle smiled and turned her attention to their fathers who were talking about televisions.                            

           “I like your mom and dad,” Mike said, “I like you too. You’re cool- for a girl.” He added.                           

        Michelle stuck her tongue out (which was still hurting) at Mike.                                     

       “Kids!” Mike’s Mommy called to Michelle and her son, “Popsicles!” Mommy and Rachel were in Mike’s house talking, so Michelle thought she could go inside for a Popsicle without asking Daddy, who was supposed to be watching her.                            

        “Coming Mom!” Mike replied getting up. “Come on Shell, I didn’t mean it that way, he said offering her his hand. Michelle took it, and he helped her up. She wasn’t sure yet if she liked being called ‘Shell’ instead of Michelle yet but she didn’t mind it too much.                                    “Race you to my house,” Mike said, “ready, steady, GO!”         

 

Mike won, but it was just barely.

 

 

 

 

 



© 2010 Kristen


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

99 Views
Added on February 19, 2010
Last Updated on February 19, 2010


Author

Kristen
Kristen

CA



About
This is what I do. Whether or not I have talent is for you to decide. Either way I'll still keep writing. more..

Writing
Sacrifice Sacrifice

A Story by Kristen


Don't Hide Don't Hide

A Poem by Kristen