Reaching for a Star

Reaching for a Star

A Chapter by Timothy G. Britton

Reaching for a Star


Saw a streak of light shoot across the sky;

reached out to grab it, I don’t know why.

Looked to see what it was, found a star in my hand;

I crushed it into dust and spread it across the land.

 

Why I did this, I really don’t know;

but right before my eyes, things began to grow.

What I had done had to be right;

for upon that very spot heaven gave its light.

 

A beauty there before me where nothing stood before,

something not even a fool could possibly ignore.

So fast it grew before me quickly into a tree;

plentiful and mighty soon for all to see.

 

I knew without a doubt that this was a message from above;

then upon a branch above me landed a snow-white dove.

It explained that the tree before me was indeed the tree of life;

and to break the soil in which it grew, GOD had used me as the knife!

 

Then the things about to follow, in a vision I was shown;

just beyond where I was standing soon would sit a throne.

Upon this mighty throne I could see a mighty king;

his purpose became clear to me when I heard the angels sing.

 

It was to breathe life into a world that seems to have died;

caused from all those who gave up before they ever really tried.

Was this really happening, could this really be true,

that this old and ignorant world was about to be made new?

 

That all the pain and suffering would finally come to an end;

For those with an evil heart to hell he’d finally send.

The world will be washed clean, no more filth, no more grime;

prisoned souls will be set free, no more hate,

no more crime.

 

The humble that were walked upon, soon they will stand tall;

And watch as GOD takes the ones that did the stepping 

and finally makes them crawl.

 

The tree was a warning of these coming days;

Giving us a sign that it is time to change our ways.

 

Then I was told to go out and tell all what I was allowed to see;

I asked the dove above me to tell me just one thing,

“Why did he choose to reveal all of this to me?”

 

He answered,

“Cause when GOD looked down on a world of men

who turned their backs on who they really are”;

 

“HE SAW ONE MAN, WALKING ALONE,

AND

REACHING FOR A STAR!”



© 2020 Timothy G. Britton


Author's Note

Timothy G. Britton
I didn’t so much make this poem up as it was given' to me. Let me explain.
One night some years ago, I was going through a truly difficult time in my life. I was very frustrated, and a bit lost. I was raising 2 beautiful children on my own. They were my greatest gift in life and nothing could bring me a greater joy than having them in my life, but I was wondering if I was losing sight of what life was all about. For no matter how damn hard I tried to do things right, and get ahead I always seem to get pushed down and kicked around by life and the people in it.
I didn't understand why it seemed the more irresponsible people were in the more careless they lived their lives the easier for them it seems to be. I watched as the least deserving people would have things fall right into their hands and it made no sense to me. People who made no effort in their lives, to better their lives, seem to be coasting right along. Meanwhile, I was trying my hardest, against what at times seemed impossible odds, to do everything I could to make my children's lives and my own life the best I could. Only to get knocked back, down, and senseless. At times it made feel like giving up all together.
One very cold night in December it was about 1 a.m. with a very clear almost black sky, I went outside and laid on the ground, stared up at the stars and asked God for one simple thing... To show me a shooting star. I guess I was asking for sign, just to see one, from his own hand or maybe not, I would take it as a sign that I was doing the right thing in my life, in my children’s lives and he was there to see it. I just wanted to not feel so damn alone. And just maybe with that star I would know he was with me.
I waited, and waited..........and waited some more. Freezing but holding on with everything I had not willing to walk away and miss it. I just knew it would come in the very next minute. I tried to convince myself that I saw one out of the corner of my eye, But I didn’t. An hour and a half later still nothing I just had to give up and walk away.
More discouraged than ever, I went into the house and sat down in a chair and thought to myself "A shooting star, a lousy shooting star is all I wanted, but I guess that was just something too much for me ask for". But then something stirred up inside of me and made me search for and grab a pen and paper and then sit back down, from that point on I don't really remember thinking anything at all until after I had a written page of words in front of me and titled.
It was a poem I had titled "Reaching for a Star". I was bewildered by what was just written by my own hand. After reading it in and truly taking it in I had realized that God had just given me my Shooting star.
This is how it came to me; not a word has been added or rewritten from the original. Now I know not to look for answers in obvious places, and never give up just short of a miracle.
I hope you like it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

He answered,
“Cause when GOD looked down on a world of men
who turned their backs on who they really are”;

“HE SAW ONE MAN, WALKING ALONE,
AND
REACHING FOR A STAR!”

- this one left me speechless.
truly a beautiful piece of art you wrote there! thank you for sharing..
xx

Posted 7 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

He answered,
“Cause when GOD looked down on a world of men
who turned their backs on who they really are”;

“HE SAW ONE MAN, WALKING ALONE,
AND
REACHING FOR A STAR!”

- this one left me speechless.
truly a beautiful piece of art you wrote there! thank you for sharing..
xx

Posted 7 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

That was beautiful.
The first two verses reminded me of the old lady who ate a fly: "There was an old lady who swallowed a fly, i don't know why she swallowed the fly...".
I liked the fact that the poem was a story of it's own and i liked the most the answer god gave the man.
I believe reaching for the stars and being ambitious is an important thing that can make your dreams come true, at these situation, it is heaven.
if you don't mind me saying, i found something that i think you could improve:
"Was this really happening, could this really be true?
that this old and ignorant world was about to be made new."
In these lines, you put the question mark at the end of the first line but it's supposed to be at the end of the second or at both of them.
hope that helped!
Good job on the poem!



Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Timothy G. Britton

7 Years Ago

It did help! Thank you very much.
an emotional and times piece that tackles one to the ground with beauty, well done, good read.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Timothy G. Britton

7 Years Ago

Thank you very much for reading it and taking the time to share your thoughts on my writing with me... read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

430 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 8, 2016
Last Updated on June 28, 2020


Author

Timothy G. Britton
Timothy G. Britton

White City, OR



About
I am a very creative person, in Art, Photography, and writing poetry, philosophy of sorts and songs. My perspective in regards to all of these talents is that of opening the minds of those who read m.. more..

Writing