Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Trea Fowlkes
"

Meet Alena, the Joker's daughter. She is trying to break free from his hold on her, defining herself in the process. Will she succeed in her journey or will she be driven to madness?

"
Sometimes, I like to think of a time where he might have liked me. I am his daughter after all. Shouldn't he love me? There could've been a time when he let mom keep me instead of giving me away. Our bond could have been so strong. I'd be daddy's little girl, but that was only a distant dream... Reality has a strong grip. No wait... it was him, choking me.

"I never wanted you in the first place, damnit. Yet here you are. All to make your mother happy." His dark eyes glisten as I struggle against him in an attempt to get air into my burning lungs. A wide grin consumes his face as he enjoys watching me struggle. I pull at the restrains. Little black dots play at the edge of my vision as my consciousness slips away.

"Ah, ah, ah. No you don't." He releases my throat, letting air rush into my lungs. Violently coughing and gasping for air, my vision slowly returns to normal. For a moment, he disappears, leaving me tied down and dizzy. This always happens, whether mom was around or not. He treats mom better, though abuse was never far from her either. His footsteps thud against the ground as he makes his way back. The basement is dimly lit despite an overhead light shining directly over me. Squinting, I look directly into the light. It whisks me away into a could have been.

The sun beams on my back, warm and comforting, as we splash about in the pool. Daddy brought us to the most beautiful beach house with a pool in the backyard. Mommy and I were in the pool, floaties on my arms. I'm not good at swimming yet but Mommy is always there to help me. I am six or seven in this hallucination. Daddy is working on one of his plans to capture ol' batsy while lounging by the pool side. He looks as if he doesn't belong here, in such a warm beautiful place. His pale white skin mixed with the sun makes him shine. The green on his hair even had a bit of glimmer to it. It is almost as if this was a picture in my coloring book. I always left the people's skin uncolored so that they could look like me and daddy. We all were different, but daddy and I had the palest of skin.

Mom splashes at me, a big smile on her face. Her hair was pulled into a single pony tail, something different for her. She always said that daddy prefers piggy tails. I giggle playfully in return.

"Mommy! Daddy! Watch this!" I climb out of the pool, checking to make sure they were both watching me. I flip back in, pinching my eyes shut while holding my nose. Mommy taught me how to do that. She claps, wildly.

"Amazing! A rising star! Wouldn't you say so, Puddin'?"

I pop back up, smiling from ear to ear. "Did you see it?! Daddy, did you see me?!"

He looks at me, a grin on his lips. "Of course I did, punkin'. Great job. Soon you'll be just as good as your mother." This day is perfect. So perfect... beautiful...so...bright.

SMACK.

I'm brought back to reality at the hands of my not so nice father. A scream rips from deep within my chest as I feel the sting of leather on my bare stomach.

"You bruise so easily...just like your mother."

"Screw you." I spit at him. His clownish laughter fills the room. That earns me six more lashes. I bite my tongue, fighting the eager screams, not wanting to give him the satisfaction. My tears betray me as the thick streams make their path down my cheeks.

"Can't take a little pain?" The welts and bruises stand out against my pale skin. The Joker lays the leather belt on a metal side table, picking up a small kitchen knife. "You know, you're a lot like me..."

"I am nothing like you!" He back hands me, my head snapping to the side.

"Ah..." My jaw clenches as I growl slightly.

"Don't interrupt me!" He glares at me for a moment before speaking calmly, turning his back. "As I was saying, you're a lot like me. I hated my father as well. Drunk b*****d. He would always abuse me. Sometimes, far worse than what I do to you. No, you see, this is easy. Too easy." Joker paces around the table, making me nervous. I keep my eyes on him, unsure of what he was going to do next. "He would laugh saying, "That's all you got? I knew you were weak". He pauses for a moment, glancing down at me. "You wouldn't want me looking weak to my father would you? Oh, what he would do to you if he were still around today..." Joker walks behind my head, forcing my jaws open as if I were a dog about to take medicine. "He would shove this knife down your throat for mouthing back at him. Maybe cut out your tongue." I pull my head away from him, staying silent.

"Be grateful you have me as your father. At least, I take it easy on you." He runs the blade down the side of my face. I press my lips together trying not to move or whimper. "Although, you deserve what I got." He grabs my face once more, prying my jaws open, putting the knife against the edge of my lips. "Let's put a smile on that face...After all, there is no need to be so serious." He grins wide before he starts cutting. He drinks in my painful cries. Joker doesn't get very far before my mother runs to him.

"Mistah J! Stop please! She gets it! You're the boss! Please! Stop, Puddin'!"

Joker stops for a moment, not turning to look at her. Instead, he admires what damage he has done so far. Mom had busted into the room after hearing my screams. She knew never to interrupt punishment, but this goes far beyond what he has ever done to either of us before. I'm not into his foolish games--killing people, robbing stores-- all to get a rise out of Batman. Unfortunately, my mouth gets me in trouble.

"Harley..." He says through a clenched jaw. A warning.

"Please, daddy?" She flashes her big doe eyes up at him, wrapping her arms around his waist. I hate when she called him "daddy". I'm his daughter yet I can't even call him that.

Joker glances down at her for a moment then returns his gaze to me. "Guess you lucked out." He steps away, signaling for mom to unfasten me. She unties my legs first then my arms. Slowly sitting up, I rub my wrists, ignoring the pain in my stomach.

"You've had your fun. Now it's my turn." I leap at him from the table, ignoring the aching protest of my body, but he is ready for me. He shoves the knife through my side as he catches me, careful not to hit anything important. Wouldn't want to kill his living voodoo doll. I gasp, looking up at his face, his grin never wavering. The clown twists the knife ever so slightly causing me to cry out.

"Oh, Lena... You will learn." I lean against him, eyes wide. He let me slide down his body, letting go of the knife. I gasp as I hit the floor. I rip the bloody blade out, placing my hand over the open wound.

"Nighty, night." The last thing I see is his foot before total darkness.

I jump awake with a start, breathing heavily. My skin is damp, but I am shivering. I search for any sign of injury on my body. Nothing... Thank goodness. I look around the dark room. I am still here... still at the warehouse. Haedyn shifts beside me in our bed full of too many blankets and pillows. He looks up at me, sleepily.

"Hey, you okay?" Haedyn sits up with a yawn, rubbing my back.

I am safe in the warehouse with my best friend. It was just a dream... It's not real... I say, mentally reassuring myself. Forcing my breathing back to normal, I turn to him. "Yeah, yeah... I'm fine. Just..." I fall silent.

What do I say to him? It was just a dream... Nothing to worry about, right? Images of Joker's wicked grin flashes back into my mind. I close my eyes tightly.

"Another nightmare? How bad was it this time?"

"Awful... They just keep getting worse..." Haedyn places a gentle kiss on my shoulder gently.

"I know... I'm sorry. Maybe, I can talk dad into whipping up something to keep those away."

Yeah right. The man of fear itself creating something to take away mine? This is what he lives for. He feeds off the fear of people. How do I know he isn't working with the sperm donor to make my life hell?

"Do you want to talk about it?"

Yes. "No. I just want to forget it." I want to tell him about it, but then he'd go all heroic on me, making me so many promises. Promises to protect me, promises to kill Joker. Promises he wouldn't be able to keep. It hurt almost as bad as the bruises to know he still loves me after all this. My past doesn't scare him off like it would others. He always tells me he can deal with any baggage I come with. I knew about his childhood crush on me, but I don't want to hurt him. I'm too...damaged for him, no matter who his dad is.

"Are you sure you're okay? Do you need anything?"

"Sleep." I curl up against him, laying my head in his chest. He wraps his arms around me. "Thanks for staying with me here."

"Anytime. You're my girl. My ride or die as people say now a days." I hear the smile in his voice. "I'll do my best to keep the nightmares away this time. Who better to protect you from your fears than the son of fear himself? Sleep well, Lena."

"You too." I whisper softly. He doesn't deserve someone like me. He's too good. I close my eyes, listening to the steady beating of his heart.

I am nothing like him, nor will I ever be. He is a monster, inside and out, killing all those innocent people for giggles. I'm not even sure that I believe in God, still I pray that one day Batman kills him. I know he won't unless it is the last possible thing to save Gotham. He doesn't want to stoop down to his level. He doesn't want to give Joker the satisfaction. The bat only returns him to Arkham where the crazy clown escapes once more. A never ending pattern.

Joker is not my father, even if science tells me differently. One of these days, he will pay for everything he has put me through.... One day he would die along with his chaos, left alone to dance with the devil himself. At least a girl can hope. None of that matters, for now at least, because I am here in Haedyn's arms, away from that pasty monster... Even if it is only for one night. I snuggle into Haedyn a little farther, pulling the blankets up to my chin, letting sleep wash over me once more.


© 2016 Trea Fowlkes


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

too dark for my personal taste but very good characterizing and the writing is entertaining. 100 points from me!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Trea Fowlkes

7 Years Ago

Thank you! I know it is dark. Do you suggest that I change it a little? I don't want to scare people.. read more
nrshrews

7 Years Ago

I dont know. I got turned off a little when i thought the whole chapter was just going to be about s.. read more
Trea Fowlkes

7 Years Ago

Thank you for your opinion! It means a lot. You're actually the first ever to comment on it no matte.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

202 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 20, 2016
Last Updated on May 20, 2016


Author

Trea Fowlkes
Trea Fowlkes

OH



About
I have been writing for as long as I can remember but I had let my anxiety and depression take hold of me for a few years. Last year I started writing again. I might be a little rusty but I am proud t.. more..

Writing