No Way Out- Chapter Seven

No Way Out- Chapter Seven

A Chapter by Trea Fowlkes

By the time Haedyn busts into my room, I had already downed half of my chicken broth soup, gone through two more vitals checks from the nurse who still wasn’t thrilled about having Demetri nor Bruce in the room  after they had caused me to start to panic a bit the first time. Bruce had left me with Demetri while he to tries his best to get in contact with The Batman. Everyone talks about how wonderful this man is�"the kid billionaire who lost his parents at a young age but made a man of himself nonetheless. He is the kind of person I aspire to be, just more badass.

Haedyn bursts into the room, breathing heavily, my nurse right behind him. “Sir, Sir!” She attempts to grab onto his arm, only catching his shirt in the process. Haedyn pulls away from her, rushing to my side, taking my hand. “Holy s**t… You look awful…” He gawks at my bruised and slightly puffy face, the blanket covering my healing stomach.

A smirk pulls at the edge of my lips, “Thanks. So do you.” Which is true. I knew he sped here just by the way his hair was viciously wind-blown. The hair that was always perfectly messy was now really messy. Haedyn runs a hand through his hair in an attempt to calm his wisps of curls. “You didn’t have to upset my nurse.” I glance over at her, her auburn hair wind-blown, her cheeks red and flustered. She glowers at Haedyn for a moment before turning her gaze to me.

“Miss, he isn’t approved on the visitor list.”

“Neither is Bruce or Demetri.” I retort, folding my arms across my chest. Let her try to take him out of here. See how fast I swing this IV pole with my injured self.

She blinks blankly for a moment before responding, “Would you like me to add mister…?”

“Crane. Haedyn Crane. And yes please do.”

She nods, slinking out of the room, shutting the door behind her. I almost forgotten Demetri sits on the other side of me until he cleared his throat. He stands up, offering a hand to Haedyn. “Demetri Wayne.”

Haedyn didn’t take the hand. In fact, he ignored Demetri all together. He looks down at me, holding my hand tightly. “You had me so worried. What happened?! Tell me everything! I mean it. Don’t leave out a single detail or I swear, truth serum will accidently slip into that IV bag of yours.” I giggle lightly, although it didn’t last long due to the sharp pain in my abdomen from the incision.

“Don’t make me laugh. It hurts. I promise I will tell you everything, no need to go to extreme measures.” I motion for him to sit down where Bruce once was. He moves the chair very close to my bed, only letting go of my hand for a moment to pull up the chair. His brown eyes were glazed with worry. It’s good to know that he cared about me so much. Even if I didn’t have my biological family, I had Haedyn. That’s all the matters to me.

I tell him everything that I could remember, still a little hazy from the pain meds they were giving me. Demetri fills in what I left out, even giving ideas of what he witnessed himself. Haedyn stays silent throughout the whole retailing of the attack and rescue. Every so often, he would glance at Demetri, his brows furrowing as if he didn’t like this guy or didn’t trust him. I don’t mention my dream; that would be for him to only hear later when Demetri isn’t in the room with us.

“There… That is everything that happened. If it wasn’t for Demetri, I would have been a goner.” I say, studying Haedyn’s face. He looks like he is deep in thought, staring at my hand intensely.

After a few moments of silence, he looks at me. He looks a little irritated. “Do I have to get you a babysitter to stay out of trouble? I told you to stay safe, don’t get into any trouble.”

“And I said no promises. My intentions were pure. I just wanted to get some stuff from the house.”

“Did you have to push your mother so far that she attacked you? And shooting at The Joker?! Have you lost your mind?!”

I roll my eyes, narrowing them at him. “What can I say, it runs in the family…” I mutter, folding my arms across my chest once more. I glare down at the ridiculously bright white sheets bunched around my body.

Haedyn lets out a long sigh, rubbing my arm gently. “Don’t say that… I’m sorry. I was just so worried about you after that call. You really scared me. I’m glad you’re safe.” He looks over at Demetri. “Thank you for helping her. Though I guess we owe Batman a thanks too.”

“I’m sure he already knows. It’s what he does for a living. He would probably say something like, ‘No thanks needed.” Demetri smiles at Haedyn, “Which you don’t need to thank me either. I would hope someone would do the same for me.”

Haedyn snorts at Demetri’s overly sweetness. “He would probably say nothing. He would be gone before we had a chance to say thank you.”

I look at Demetri, “Speaking of thank you’s. I suppose I should properly thank you…” He smiles at me, his eyes brightening a bit, “But then again… Pretty sure I didn’t want your help until I was actually dying. Even though I said you shouldn’t have helped me, you should have. You were just going to sit back and let me fight him alone?!” I shouldn’t be mad at him, he really was doing what I asked of him, but with a sassy attitude.

Demetri laughs lightly, his head tilting back, giving a glimpse of that too perfect smile with a wonderful laugh. “Man, you’re almost as bad as my mother and sister.” He smiles at me, once he calmed his laughter down. “Must just be a girl thing.”

I fume, smacking Haedyn upside the head when he chuckles, joining in with his comment. “It’s definitely a girl thing.” Both of the boys share a laugh, while I frown deeply at them. It’s not funny… I’m serious. The nurse knocks on the door lightly before entering the room. “Mr. Wayne, your father has requested that you come home for the evening. He said that you can come back in the morning. Mr. Crane�"“

“Is staying the night with me.”

“But only family�"“

“He is my family!” I snap a little harsher than I mean to. This nurse is really going to be happy to see me gone. She nods, mumbling something about getting more blankets and a pillow for him. She mentions that the chair stretches into a recliner so that he would be more comfortable. Haedyn nods to her. She leaves the room shortly after checking my vitals once more.

“You don’t have to be so mean to her. She is only trying to help.” Haedyn takes my hand in his.


“I know… I didn’t mean to snap at her.”

Demetri takes my mother hand, placing a gentle kiss on the top. “I will see you tomorrow. Rest easy.”

Demetri ignores Haedyn’s glare as he kisses my hand, staring right into my eyes instead. Those deep blue eyes of his would probably make any girl melt. He might have gotten a slight flutter out of me�"or was that just the medicine… or gas?�"but I’m not just any girl. Wait in line buddy. I give a friendly half smile, pulling my hand out of his. “Tell your dad I said thank you, please.” With that, he leaves the room. The nurse returns shortly after, giving blankets and pillows to Haedyn as well as giving us both some drinks, leaving us alone for the night. Well at least until she had to come in for the nightly vitals and bandage check.

Haedyn gets up to click off the light, the light from my machines seeming brighter than they were before. I watch him as he kicks off his shoes and socks. “Will you get in the bed with me? I want you to hold me, so I know for sure you’re real.”

“What do you mean? Of course I’m real.” Though I couldn’t make out all of the features in his face, I could hear the confusion in his voice. “The meds are getting to you, huh?”

“No…Just… Yea…” I mutter, scooting over some. He climbs into the bed with me, wrapping his arms around my stomach, careful not to hit the dressed wound. He kisses my shoulder gently.

“Real enough for you?” He jokes lightly, kissing my shoulder once more.

I sigh softly, “Haedyn… I had a dream when I was in surgery. You came to me in the dream. But it wasn’t you. You were…different. A hug didn’t feel the same there as it does here. You told me that I needed to wake up and I begged to stay with you in the meadow where we were huddled up under a tree to keep out of the rain. You told me that I was experiencing a dream and that Michael really tried to kill me. When I asked who dream you really were, you morphed into Lucy. Little me was starting right back at me. It was like I was looking in a mirror. She told me that, wherever we were, it wasn’t the place for me. That I had to find you and tell you�"“

“Tell me what?”

That I was okay…” I whisper my lie softly, careful to control the upcoming shakiness in my voice. I couldn’t tell him. There was no way I could tell him. I know how he felt about me, but I’m not right for him. He would be in even more danger than he is now. I couldn’t do that to him. He deserves someone who will give him pure happiness. “But everything before that felt real, the rain, the grass. Everything.”

“That is a weird dream. I’m glad you came back to me.” He laces his fingers in with mine, nuzzling his nose into my hair. He really was worried. “I cant believe you thought about staying there…”

“It was beautiful… I wish you could’ve seen it. You would understand why I wanted to stay.” I whisper.

“No,” He sighs softly, “I know why you wanted to stay. You wanted to be in a world away from your father, away from all the pain and destruction you have dealt with in your life so far, but you knew better. Your conscience knew better. You belong here, with me, despite everything you are going through. You couldn’t abandon your best friend.”

He was right for the most part. I didn’t want to return to this awful world. Damn… I hate when he can read right through me like I am a book. I sigh once more, snuggling into the pillows and blankets the best that I could. “I didn’t mean to worry you…”

“I always worry about you.” He yawns softly, “You’re my girl. My BFF.”

I smirk, “You really need to stop hanging out with those sorority girls.” He says they are his study buddies. Some of them are in the same class with him, some he has met through his class mates. Whatever. I know he is a guy who has his boyish needs. I know he has slept with at least two of them, but I also know, he always thinks about me.

Haedyn kisses my head gently, a smile in his voice. “Go to sleep, little Dare Devil.  Try to have sweet dreams this time.”

It wasn’t long before his breathing became steady and even. I close my eyes, slipping into a world of only happy memories and wishes of Haedyn and I. You know what they always say, no matter how hard I try to fight it, the heart wants what it wants.



© 2016 Trea Fowlkes


Author's Note

Trea Fowlkes
Thank you for your wait! I apologize-- Life came up and long story short, I am in physical therapy now for my back. Yay me... Anywho, I hope you enjoy this chapter. Let me know what you think down below.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
Added on June 7, 2016
Last Updated on June 7, 2016


Author

Trea Fowlkes
Trea Fowlkes

OH



About
I have been writing for as long as I can remember but I had let my anxiety and depression take hold of me for a few years. Last year I started writing again. I might be a little rusty but I am proud t.. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Trea Fowlkes