The Eighth Dwarf

The Eighth Dwarf

A Story by Treo LeGigeo
"

Snow White, the beautiful girl persecuted by her jealous stepmother and the handsome prince whose heart she captured. That's how the story goes, but this is the truth.

"
Once upon a time a princess was born named Snow White. When the Queen died, the King remarried to a beautiful but wicked woman who hated her stepdaughter and so gave orders that she was to be treated as a servant. Snow White grew very beautiful and one day a Prince riding by saw her and instantly fell in love with her.

That's how it goes. The beautiful girl persecuted by her jealous stepmother, the handsome prince whose heart she captured, that's the story.

If only they knew the truth.

But I'm getting a little too far ahead, perhaps I should tell you about myself. My name is Brainy, I think my name is explanation enough for who I am. I slept in the bed that once occupied the empty space on the left of the bedroom in the dwarfs' house.

It all started the day we found that girl, stretched out across three beds, full from our food, with her shoes and cloak strewn across the room. She was a pretty thing, that's for sure, and she offered to help us and begged us to let her stay. Well, why not? We agreed.

She told us all about her evil stepmother and her magic mirror, and my fellow dwarfs swallowed it all. I was the only one smart enough to notice the holes in her story. Even Doc brushed me off as insensitive when I pointed out that her father wouldn't have allowed his new wife to treat his daughter like a servant, and that a girl that looked like she did couldn't have grown to her age with no friends or suitors that would be more likely to help her than a house full of strange dwarfs.

That is not to say that she was completely evil. Her stepmother's jealousy and dislike of her was real, and she knew that her father's health was dwindling and that his wife, not her, was next in line for the throne. She also knew that if her stepmother became queen she would most likely not be named heir, and can you really blame an ambitious young girl trying to add to her royal fiancé's kingdom? 

Yes, if she uses us.

She made up stories about her stepmother in disguise trying to kill her, trying to convince us to hunt her stepmother down, to do her dirty work for her. Only I objected, I who saw through her lies, who secretly watched her laying out her plans at night, who realised that her stepmother, though vain and resentful, would never actually hurt her. I objected to killing an innocent woman, and my fellows shunned me for it. They threw me out of the house, saying that I was selfish and cowardly. And I know that she had something to do with it, because honestly, was it that horrible that they thought me worse than Grumpy?

Well with her help, they did.

I stayed in the woods, sleeping in the safe areas and eating the edible plants. I still went to work every day, but now my colleagues avoided my gaze, never talking to me. It was only from a reluctant Happy a few weeks later that I discovered what had happened.

It's ironic isn't it? The lying girl making up stories about her stepmother trying to kill her to convince some naïve dwarfs to take revenge, only to frighten her stepmother with the repeated attacks and provoke her into self defence by actually killing her murderous daughter.

I couldn't decide whether to laugh or to cry.

In the end I did neither, instead I found myself audience to something I'd never thought I'd encounter and frankly didn't quite know how to deal with: a heartbroken prince.

I must admit that it touched me, that despite everything Snow White had done it seemed that she and her fiancé truly loved each other. Kindred spirits, I guess, both greedy, both cunning, but also both passionate. I gave in to his pleas.

It took time and effort to find the antidote to that pesky fruit, that stepmother certainly had no lack of knowledge in poisonous plants. But with the aid of the princess's dedicated dwarfs (after seeing them so eager to help I simply didn't have to heart to continue to assert the truth) I managed it. And let it be known that it was I who brought Snow White back to health, and into the arms of her lover.

And so began the legend, a love story that would live on for centuries. Even today, children all over the world still are told the tale of the beautiful princess killed by jealously and the handsome prince who revived her with love.

I just wish that at least one person would tell of poor old Brainy.

© 2013 Treo LeGigeo


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

whoa...this is a great story.
and it's really cute.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Only I objected, I who saw through her lies, who secretly watched her laying out her plans at night, who realised that - realized

I still went to work everyday, but now my colleagues avoided my gaze, never talking to me. - every day

revenge, only to frighten her stepmother with the repeated attacks and provoke her into self defence by actually killing - defense

my self audience to something I'd never thought I'd encounter and frankly didn't quite know how to deal with: a - myself

very cute :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


haha, thats cute. i like it

Posted 12 Years Ago


Aww... Poor Brainy.
Have you ever thought about what other names you could use for dwarves? here are some of mine.
Creepy
Sneaky
Loopy
Dorky
Lovely
Angry
And so one and so forth.

Posted 13 Years Ago


this is perfect for the contest! Thank you for entering:)

Posted 13 Years Ago


i love the twist. and brainy? brilliant

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is such a great twist on a classic fairy tale! Poor Brainy. :-(

Posted 13 Years Ago


the 8th dwarf forgotten in history, nice twist on a classic :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Amazing twist of Snow White!! I absolutely loved it! Great job(:

Posted 13 Years Ago


Haha, this is a great twist to the story of Snow White, It almost seems real. (: Haha amazing story.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1171 Views
10 Reviews
Added on September 16, 2010
Last Updated on April 3, 2013
Tags: Fairytale, Twisted, Snow, White, Truth, False, Fantasy

Author

Treo LeGigeo
Treo LeGigeo

Sydney, NSW, Australia



About
I'm from Australia, so some people may find that I spell things differently. I love writing and have had a couple of publications of short stories and novellas under a pseudonym. I started .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Milagro Milagro

A Story by Treo LeGigeo


Interitus Interitus

A Story by Treo LeGigeo