Grandpa's stories (Work in progress)

Grandpa's stories (Work in progress)

A Chapter by Tuff Stuff

 Hamon woke up to the sounds of an axe chopping wood next door. 'Must be the yeager family' Hamon thought closing his window. It was a beautiful day and the sun was bright far too early. It had been a week since Hamon talked to his father about the noises in his room. They've gotten more muffled from that day. Instead of an ear splitting bang. It's more of a large box crashing on hard floor. Hamon realized it was well past noon and slid on a pair of jeans and a green hoodie. hamon was greeted by his father tapping his fingers on the railing and a stern look on his face when he came downstairs. 

 

"You want to tell me about this." His father asked whipping out a large orange envelope. It was his report card. Hamon tried to think of an exuse, but couldn't think of anything. "You got two Ds. Explain to me why you did so poorly?" Sonny kept his face from exploding when he heard Hamon's responce. 

 

"I missed a few assingments. I didn't think it would put me down so far." Sonny sighed and let his son walk the rest of the way down stairs. He went down on his knees so he was eye level to Hamon.

 

"I talked to your teacher. She says you haven't been focused on your work. Is something on your mind? Is it the sounds in your room?" Sonny had never talked to Hamon about his room seriously until now. He was too worried about his son's fears than to consider his doctor's advice. Hamon looked over Sonny's shoulder to see if anyone was listening. 

 

"They' re going away..." Hamon whispered. 

 

"That's good." Sonny said stroking Hamon's shaking arm. He was very uncomfortable and nervous talking to his father seriously about this. Half of him almost agreed with his doctor and parents. He never thought his father would ever be concerned about it. 'Maybe this is good. He's finally on my side and not mom's.' Hamon thought. "Your Grandpa's coming over soon, so maybe we can talk about this tonight, okay?" Sonny said before hugging his son. Hamon felt his feet planted at the spot. He never understood how scared he was until now. Sonny ran back to the kitchen at the sound of Abe's wailing. Hamon wasn't too fond of Abe. He saw Abe as the little brother with too much attention for a little baby to handle. Every other month for some odd holiday his aunts would come over and literally devour Abe. Hamon thought it was sick, but Abe seemed to enjoy it. 

 

When Hamon finally had the will to move his feet a knock came on the door behind him. Without Hamon opening the door his Pappy came barging through the door with a large box in his arms. He gave a hearty laugh at the surprised look on Hamon's scrawny face. 

 

"Nice to see you again Hamon." Pappy laughed placing the box next to the door. He messed up Hamon's hair like he would to a playful puppy. "How's my favorite grandson?" Hamon gave a weak smile and nodded his head. 

 

"I'm fine Pappy. What did you bring?" Hamon asked pointing at the taped box. 

 

"Oh, it's just something for your father. Nothing to be curious about." Hamon nodded in agreement and walked into the kitchen to notify everyone that Pappy had come. 

 

"I'm here!" Pappy declared with his arms wide with enthusiasm. Sometimes Hamon wondered how his father could be related to this insanity. Hamon bolted off to his room when he noticed all attention turned to Abe. "As usual" Hamon thought. His room wasn't frightening anymore. It was his sanctuary now. The noises became everyday scenarios, but he still felt uneasy in the evenings. The bangs were dying down rapidly and Hamon had a feeling they would disappear entirely. He pulled out his sketch pad from under his unkept bed and grabbed a pencil from the floor. He drew most of his life. In fact he hadn't stopped drawing since he drew his first picture of Pappy dancing when he was three. 

 

 

 



© 2008 Tuff Stuff


Author's Note

Tuff Stuff
I'm trying my best to complete this chapter. it's kind of late, so I want to stop here for now. I'll have the rest up by tomorrow for sure.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A logical continuation of the storyline. It will be interesting to see what Grandpa has brought in the box, and to hear some of his tales. Excuse is 'excuse' not 'exuse'. There were a number of grammar problems, but I feel it is best to correct someone slowly, one or two points at a time, than overloading their mind with things they need to correct. They are more likely to remember ONE thing pointed out to them, and correct that, rather than a long list of corrections. The story held my attention - it was not really 'rivetting' - more of an everyday type of storyline - but it was interesting enough. Keep up the good work.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I definitely would want to know where this is going, because of the topics brought on in this chapter, like Daniel Thomas Andrew, I agree that this chapter reads like a natural continuation of the previous chapter and you are very good at describing the relations between the different characters...
Now, the voices are a new and important element.
I found it both intriguing and comforting that the son was not told off of by his father but recognized!
And ... I am wondering what Grandpa brought round....
You did make some spelling mistakes (or mere typo's) probably because you are still working on this piece.
Please keep on elaborating this further!

Posted 15 Years Ago


this is a great story celebrating grandparents in general. Wonderful idea seldom seen in literature today.

Posted 15 Years Ago


A logical continuation of the storyline. It will be interesting to see what Grandpa has brought in the box, and to hear some of his tales. Excuse is 'excuse' not 'exuse'. There were a number of grammar problems, but I feel it is best to correct someone slowly, one or two points at a time, than overloading their mind with things they need to correct. They are more likely to remember ONE thing pointed out to them, and correct that, rather than a long list of corrections. The story held my attention - it was not really 'rivetting' - more of an everyday type of storyline - but it was interesting enough. Keep up the good work.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

243 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 7, 2008
Last Updated on November 8, 2008


Author

Tuff Stuff
Tuff Stuff

Surrey, England ><, England



About
I like to write! Which Element Are You?FireFire, Black Fire, Blue Fire, Lava, The Sun, etc.Click Here to Take This QuizBrought to you by YouThink.com quizzes and personality tests. Name Generators .. more..

Writing
The Aprisa The Aprisa

A Story by Tuff Stuff


A-MILE-HIGH A-MILE-HIGH

A Story by Tuff Stuff