Illix Prologue

Illix Prologue

A Chapter by Charizard Ate My Jigglypuff

The night was quiet, calm but for the pacing anxiety of a lone Angyal who waited just outside the Japanese Castle doors. He shivered, not against the bitter chill of the air but due to shattered nerves that had him wringing his hands against the hilt of his sword. Inside the castle walls waged a debate detrimental to his brother’s fate.


The Arkainen rulers had gathered from all parts of the world in regard to the concern Lord Aries held for the suspicious dragon-shaped mark the infant had been born with. He suspected it a sign of great evil, but Envy knew this to be a result of senseless superstition. They came from a long family line of heroes and noble men and women. They had served Aries honourably since his rule had begun. Why would theirs suddenly be the first family in Angyal history to birth evil?


But would the council understand this, or would they too allow an unfounded fear of the unknown rule over their judgement?

Envy pulled his phone from his pocket, checking his messages for the third time that hour. He had reached out to an old mentor for help days before, hoping to involve a rational voice into the debacle. But he had received no response.


Predictable, perhaps, as the man was not welcome in these parts. Still, Envy grasped onto hope, onto that slight possibility that his teacher �" no �" his friend, would aide him in this most desperate situation.


To his great relief his prayers were answered.


“You know it unwise to expect a response from me, your phone is much too heavily monitored.”


Envy peered from his mobile device, audibly releasing a breath he did not know he had been holding as he met with the silver-eyed gaze of his ally. “Wrath, you came!”


“Of course.” The older Angyal replied impassively. “I couldn’t very well allow Aries to extinguish our people’s light before it ever got the chance to shine.”


As was often the case, this reply confused Envy. But Wrath was a very wise man with experience and knowledge of the world that Envy could not yet even fathom. All of Wrath’s words, though at times cryptic, had meaning, and for this reason Envy understood that Wrath’s interest in his baby brother was beyond a simple favour to a friend. Which meant the child’s odd’s of an unwarranted and possibly cruel punishment had been greatly reduced.


“They’ve been in there nearly an hour. They’ve probably reached a decision, and I doubt it’s a good one.” Envy informed, anxiety driving the haste with which he spoke.


Wrath’s reply was one of confidence. “Calm your nerves, Envy. No harm will come to your brother so long as I am here. But be wary. My intrusion of the council will quickly come back to you. They’ll know you reached out and brought me here.”

“I’ll accept the consequences for my actions.” The younger Angyal boldly replied.


Wrath nodded his head and in an instant he had vanished, the only indication of him having been present the audible “poof” of the air that resounded as a result of his teleport. Envy turned his gaze eagerly to the door. His left hand white knuckled as he clutched the hilt of his sword, looking to draw comfort from the weapon which had never failed him in battle.


***


The nameless infant who was yet only days old was silent in his distraught mother’s embrace. She and her husband sat opposite the twelve Angyal leaders who had just reached a decision about the fate of the child.

“His power needs to be quelled. He will be stripped of his wings and will live out his life raised with humans.” The middle most Arkainen dictated.


This drove the distressed parents to their feet, but despite his mouth opening to voice his protest, the child’s father remained in abashed silence. His instincts fought to defend his family but his rationale warned him of the danger in doing so. For the decision was finalized by Lord Aries himself, leader of not only the Eastern Asian realm of Angyal’s but ruler of all their kind. With or without the assistance of the council, his word was law.


The baby’s mother, however, was not so willing to give him up. She held to him tightly and threats birthed by her rage danced upon the tip of her tongue. But before she could utter a sound a resounding “poof” echoed through the chamber and the infant was plucked suddenly from her grasp. A moment of unbroken quiet passed before the intruder revealed himself from out of the shadows, the newborn cradled in his arms.


The men and women of the council rose swiftly to their feet, and in Aries expression there was a fury derived by a deep abhorrence for this interloper.


Wrath, his eyes fixated on the mark of the dragon spiralling around the length of the baby’s right forearm, broke the silence. “I vehemently disagree with your verdict.”


“You are not welcome here!” Aries seethed.


Ignoring this, Wrath continued. “For better or worse, be this mark Chaos or Light, you know this child’s power will be far beyond that of any other.” The interluding Angyal lifted his chin and peered upon his offended audience. While there was anger in the eyes of all the Arkainen Council members it was terror which governed their reluctance to stop this show. Wrath was not welcome here because he was feared. His strength and intellect was matched by few and his unique powers were matched by none. The Council knew he could kill them all long before the call for security ever reached the ears of the soldiers guarding the chamber from the hallway and given his history of unpredictability and disobedience they knew that in this moment their defiance could lead to their death. So begrudgingly they listened to what he had to say.


“It seems to me that with my retirement, or exile, whatever you wish to call it, you’ve had an empty slot in your Seven Hunter’s of Sin for, oh my, nearly six decades now. Don’t you think it time to fill the gap? I’ve a marvelous candidate for the position right here in my arms.”


“The child is much too dangerous to risk allowing his power to grow.” Aries argued.


“So am I and yet I remained as your loyal dog for over a century.” Wrath disputed. “Train the child to be another of your thoughtless specialized soldiers and even the Daemon Lords will not stand a chance against you.”


While Wrath’s insolence appalled the majority of the Arkainen, Aries’ rage had quelled in exchange for consideration. Slowly he slunk back into his seat, chin in hands as he contemplated this idea. It seemed wise, but he knew Wrath to be a trickster and wondered why his interest was enough to risk returning to the village under the threat of death.


“While I appreciate such an idea, my concern stems from the thought of it having been uttered from your lips. What’s in it for you?”


Wrath offered the Lords an underhanded grin. “Good Karma.” He replied simply. “I’ve been such a naughty boy for so very long.” Constructed by magic, one feather at a time Wrath’s wings appeared against his back, the charcoal appendages a deep contrast against the snowy white wings of the infant he held. “However, should your minds remain unaltered by my proposal I may just have to take this little Apostle of the Star and mold him into an Agent of Chaos.”


It was Aries, and Aries alone, who understood the meaning behind Wrath’s words. His eyes lowered and focused on the round table beneath him. The room was lively with aggressive chatter, most directed at himself. But Aries was concentrated on Wrath’s cryptic threat. He looked to the antagonist, considering his options. Wrath was an escape artist, and much too clever to be caught in this situation. Aries hands were tied for reasons he could not explain to his fellow Arkainen, for he and Wrath knew something which they did not.


“You are never to have contact with this boy as he grows.” Aries relinquished. “You will not reach out to him or his brother or attempt to seek out either, under the penalty of death. He will be warned of you and your ways, I will insure he is raised to see you as an enemy.”


“This I can adhere to.” Wrath agreed with a victorious smile. He crossed the distance between himself and the parents and gently returned the infant to his trembling mother. “I’ve never been particularly fond of children anyway.” As soon as he had arrived, Wrath again vanished causing a commotion to stir amidst the bodies in the chamber.


“Lord Aries, you’re not really foolish enough to consider this an option, are you? Surely that scoundrel is up to something!” Voiced the American Lord, Leo.


“I think it is very likely Wrath was summoned here by the Hirota’s eldest son.” Accusingly he glanced to the family who were waiting anxiously to be sent home. “Whether he had an ulterior motive or not he was right, we desperately need a seventh hunter. That child will grow to be strong enough for the title. We’ll watch him close as he grows, begin his training young.” He waved a hand, dismissing the Hirota family. “And when the time comes we will use him and the others to be rid of Wrath Katayama once and for all. He’s broken the rules of his exile, the penalty for which is death.”



© 2019 Charizard Ate My Jigglypuff


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I found the story very engaging and entertaining full imagery placing right beside each of the characters. you my friend are a great storyteller. very well written.

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

84 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 13, 2019
Last Updated on February 14, 2019
Tags: fantasy, urban fantasy, young adult, ya, fiction, angels, demons, adventure, tragedy, romance, love, dark, angst