Demon Destiny Prologue

Demon Destiny Prologue

A Chapter by Valerie Rian

Prologue

A long time ago…

 

Keegan’s mahm would kill him when she saw his wings in his evening bath. Even now they fluttered behind him, pushing him forward with the occasional flap. Though he tried to keep the golden feathers off the ground he could hear pebbles scattering as they slid over the stone. It was a blessing she wouldn’t see him before the evening festival with his dadi or he would have to stay home to bathe instead of attend.

At seven, he could keep his wings off the ground when he concentrated but the bubbling excitement he felt made him lose focus. Tonight he would go to his first Festival of Birth where the Empiri would welcome the newest race to the world. In his studies that day Keegan and the rest of the class continued to disrupt the mastra’s teaching with their questions. Curious to know what would happen at the festival and wondering what the new race would look like, none of them could listen to the dullness of economical imports into their stronghold.

The last race created had been beautiful with wings like Keegan’s except black as night. He had heard that the new race was born from the hands of the water Empiri and that they would live most of their lives under the sea before coming to Earth.

When Keegan grew up he wanted to join the ranks as a creator for his people. Born to the air, he could think of all kinds of life to bring to Earth from the ether.  

Keegan continued to run through the alleyway that would lead him into the kitchens of his home. He made it to the house next door when he had to skid to a stop because two men stood outside his door speaking in low voices. The house he stood beside was large and colorful like his own home and edged with gold. The setting sun lit it up, as it did every day, before darkness covered the Empiri stronghold.

When Keegan heard the men start discussing the festival he scampered near and hid behind a broad pillar to get a closer ear.

He caught a whispered phrase. “They’ve returned from the mountains? But, why? Why now? And they are coming tonight?”

The reply came from another who stood out of Keegan’s line of sight and hearing.

“Why are we still here? We need to get our young out of the city.”

“Peace! Lies. They have never wanted peace, only our destruction.”

A loud voice bellowed in Keegan’s ear, “Just what do you think you are doing?”

Keegan’s nurse stood behind him, her hot breath sending waves of heat over his neck. He was caught in the act of eavesdropping and he had no defense. He Keegan looked back at the two in conversation but they had wandered off at the yell. Caught, and with no information worth having. Keegan didn’t know anybody that lived in the mountains and no one but Empiri were allowed in the city.

He had turned to Nurse but wasn’t listening to her reprimands. The snap of her fingers inches from his green gaze brought his attention to her.

“Keegan, you head home. Your dadi will want you ready for the festival tonight and here you are wandering the streets.”

He bowed his head to show respect but it came out as more of a bob. Skipping the last few feet home, Keegan didn’t waste any more time. He scoured the closet for his best red vest and awaited his dadi’s arrival.

 

###

The festival was everything Keegan had hoped. The city streets lay covered with twinkling candlelight and air Empiri had suspended trickling droplets around the gatherers. Flowers and trees had sprung up around the square while their petals swirled around the dancing revelers. Silk skirts spun wide as male Empiri turned female’s to the music. A bonfire blazed in the center of the city drawing the eyes of all those who stood near.  

Keegan tried to match his step with his dadi’s but needed three to his one. During last celebration the city held they had wandered through the streets taking in the dazzling sight of their people’s joy, but tonight his dadi led him through quickly. The fast pace made Keegan’s heart race and he hoped that no one would step on him in their haste to get through.

He wanted to see the newest race presented but he did not want to be trampled and thought that maybe he would prefer to go home to his mahm and curl up while she read to him. She hadn’t wanted to come out this evening because of his baby brother who even now kicked in her womb, wanting out.

His dadi held his hand as they made their way through the streets to the city center. When the music had come to a close a fire Empiri flew high in the sky so that all could see him. He laughed loudly and with a booming voice welcomed them all to the Festival of Birth. Wind blew around them ruffling Keegan’s vest and dark hair. He looked up at his dadi whose gaze darted through the crowd. Keegan looked around them as well.

A harsh pull on his arm jerked him to the side as his father started jogging toward the edge of the throng. When he tripped over his sandals trying to keep up, his dadi drew him up into his arms without missing a step.  

“Dadi?”

“Not now Keegan, we must get home,” he said quietly into his ear. Keegan felt his dadi’s shoulder length hair against his ear and resisted the urge to rest his head against his strong shoulder but instead forced his gaze on those around him. Those nearest to them looked around in confusion. Some nudged the Empiri next to them in question while a feeling of wrongness started to seep into Keegan’s conscious. 

For a few minutes they were the only ones moving through the streets, heading in the opposite direction of the onlookers. The ruffling wind had grown, travelling through alleys and becoming stronger with every turn.

As they continued to travel, silence raced behind them sweeping through the crowd. Fear crept over Keegan’s skin and struck his heart when he heard screaming from the direction they had come from.

“Dadi, someone is hurt, we should go back.” Instead of turning around, his dadi’s jog turned into a run, jostling Keegan in his arms.

“No Keegan.” He breathed harder now.

“Wh-“

“Quiet, son.” He opened the golden edged door of their home and Keegan saw his mahm standing there, concern on her face. He ran to her when his feet hit the cold stone and she held him close in her silk skirts.

“What’s happened?”

“They’ve come.”

“How many?”

“They are here to exterminate, Anna. We need to leave now. It may already be too late.”

Keegan looked through the open door from his mahm’s skirts where he had pressed himself, finding comfort in her familiar vanilla scent. Empiri raced through the streets in a rush that Keegan didn’t understand. The candlelight, warm before, now burned too brightly, the trickling droplets made puddles on the ground.

“Can we get out?”

When his dadi didn’t answer, Keegan’s gaze shifted up to him. His face looked sharper than normal and for the first time he saw the hardened warrior instead of the healer, and he was afraid.

“Keegan?” she asked, her voice no more than a whisper.

“Maybe. I came as quickly as I could.”

Keegan looked back through the door as a woman screamed and several around her stopped to pull her in the direction everyone ran. His people were frightened. But why?

When the door shut sharply he realized his dadi had spoken to him.

“Do not worry about the things around us, Keegan.” He kneeled before him and placed heavy hands on his shoulders. “I need you to try that trick your mahm has been teaching you.”

“But, it’s dark.”

“I know, but this is important.”

He felt tender hands running up and down his back and his mahm’s voice spoke in his ear, “Remember that hill we went to last season?”

Keegan nodded. The hill had been his mahm’s and his secret. No one was allowed to leave the stronghold at any time, it was law. With so many of their creations living in the world around them, the Empiri had chosen to isolate themselves keeping their abilities of creation and control of the elements, their race, and their history pure. The world saw them as deities. The Empiri never disputed the claim and instead tried to settle the restlessness of the world and keep the peace between their created children.   

“Good,” she smiled at him and for a moment Keegan thought maybe all was well. “I want you to try our trick and head to that hill.”

“It is very far mahm, I don’t think I can make it.” He whispered trying not to sound weak.

His parents looked at one another before looking again at him. A pounding sounded at the door.

“Help him, Anna.”

Keegan nodded saying, “I can do it if you are with me, mahm.”

“You know I cannot with the baby, Keegan. I need you to do this on your own.” Her voice had sharpened.

“But-“

“Keegan, you must. I know you can do this.”

The pounding at the door grew to a thunder through the room. His dadi pulled out the sword he carried across his back. Though born a healer, he had trained as a warrior along with all fire Empiri.

Dadi?” Keegan asked in fear.

“Be calm Keegan, and focus.”

His mahm drew him to an alcove by the atrium just outside the entry hall to their home.

“Try it. Try it now.”

Keegan drew a deep breath and tried to remember all his practice over the noise. “I can’t, mahm.”

“Yes, you can.”

The door collapsed in and Keegan screamed as masked men poured through the opening. His dadi threw out one hand sending fire streaming over the men. All but one fell to the ground writhing in pain. The one remaining withdrew his black mask and Keegan screamed again at what he saw.

Dark holes remained where eyes used to sit.

“Keegan, go upstairs and hide. You need to try our trick until you do it successfully. Keep trying until you make it to the hill. No matter what.” Even his mahm was having a hard time not staring in horror at the man in the doorway.

“Mah-“

“No. Your dadi and I will meet you there as soon as we can. Keegan.” A tear ran down her cheek and Keegan reached up and wiped it away as he had seen his dadi do before. “Keegan, we love you and we will see you soon. Now, run.”

She pushed him hard towards the back staircase but Keegan turned toward her even as he followed her instruction.

“Run, Keegan!”

He ran to the first landing and turned back again but his mahm had already turned to help his dadi. He knew he needed to do as she said but his fear for his parents overran all thought. He tripped back down the stairs and peeked around the corner.

They were caught in a fierce battle with the eyeless man who let a sneer color his face. The man didn’t control elements, he was no Empiri and yet the fire and water striking at him from all sides didn’t touch his skin.

“Why are you here?” his dadi yelled.

He did not stop his forward attack but laughed as he replied. “To rule.”

The man sniffed the air and stilled for the first time since his assault. Keegan leaned forward anxious to see what had made him stop. Perhaps now his parents would gain the upper hand.

His breath froze in his throat when the man looked straight at him with eye sockets that could not see. The man knew that Keegan stood there. When he smiled, a slash across his face, and took a step towards Keegan, fear as he had never known made his small feet fly back up the design covered stairs.

He ran to his room and shut the door. Looking around, he tried to find a good place to hide and try his and mahm’s trick. A scream came from downstairs and Keegan covered his ears and ran into the closet. Darkness enveloped him but he still squeezed his eyes shut to concentrate.

Gradually he calmed his mind as taught.

I am born of air. I am air.

I am without substance.

He continued chanting until his mind had cleared.

When he opened his eyes it felt like only seconds had gone by but he looked up into the bright sunlight. It had taken him all night, but he had made it to the hill overlooking the city.

Keegan laughed and whooped throwing a fist in the air. He did it!

Running to the cliff to view the miles he had traveled he looked back at the city and let out a cry of alarm.

It burned. His city burned.

Tears scorched his cold cheeks and he immediately tried to change form to travel back. But his mind, exhausted from the initial journey, would not move him.

Mahm had said they would meet him, so he had to wait.


 



© 2013 Valerie Rian


Author's Note

Valerie Rian
Do you care as a reader? Is there enough detail, emotion and/or understanding to make you care what happens?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very emotional, I enjoyed reading it a lot.
Can't wait for more, I'm still a bit confused, should have I read the prologue then the 1st chapter or the 1st chapter then the prologue xd?

Posted 10 Years Ago


Valerie Rian

10 Years Ago

Prologue comes first. But I posted it second, so I can see how that would be confusing. Thanks for t.. read more
I think it was well written, with plenty of emotion. It makes me what to know what happens to Keegan. Just one think, I am a little confused. Obviously he is not human but is he human looking but just with wings?

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Valerie Rian

10 Years Ago

That is a really good point. He is human looking. I'll be sure to make the distiction with an edit. .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

244 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 9, 2013
Last Updated on September 9, 2013
Tags: Urban Fantasy, supernatural, world building


Author

Valerie Rian
Valerie Rian

Turlock, CA



About
Folks, I am a writer and I am a nobody. My goal isn't to be a somebody, it's to be a writer. Sometimes they're one in the same, sometimes they're not. If my life were a dinner it would be twelve full .. more..

Writing