Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Max

 

I yawned widely as I pulled my black hood over my coppery brown hair, and walked down the slightly crowded sidewalk. I was feeling that familiar uneasiness in my gut, it has always been my own little warning sign to abort a mission, but I need the money so I waved it with no lingering care in my mind. Well I guess I should give that feeling of mine some consideration, but now's not the time.

I glanced downward to the watch that lay on my left wrist. 9:26 am.

‘Right on time,’ I inwardly mused as I continued to walk down the sidewalk that lined various apartment complexes. A slight grin decided to make an appearance on my face when my latest mark came into view.

My latest mark is some kid named Joshua Morgan. He’s my age, twenty-two; about five feet seven inches tall give or take, with muddy brown eyes, and shaggy blonde hair. My current employer, who by the way is a complete and total idiot, only gave me that measly description, and his usual hangouts. I’d asked him for a picture, but he said there was no need for one. Apparently it would be the ‘I’ll know it when I see him’ kinda thing. I’m fine with that, I mean I've worked with less before, but until I read further into the file I thought Joshua was nothing more than a skater junkie who pissed off the person. Upon reading further into his file I discovered that during his youth Joshua spent most of his free time doing volunteer work, he'd gone to the University of Massachusetts on full scholarship for a degree in anthropology, but he dropped out a few months before graduation to help keep a small cafe that runs in his family afloat when his father fell ill.

Overall Joshua was a good, smart kid; the kind I’ve always hated killing. Enough dumb people in the world as it is. Only a few decide to make something of themselves, and cure cancer an s**t.

I carefully looked over the area that surrounded the both of us. I noted that there were a lot of people out and about so I silently thanked the lord that I’d taken theater in high school, and settled on a plan. I zeroed in on a car only a few feet away, but close enough to hopefully draw Joshua’s attention.

In retrospect my plan was quite simple; act like a distressed civilian that’s just found out they’ve lost their car keys, and needs to make a call for assistance though unfortunately they don’t have a working phone. Though most things in life seem simple in retrospect when in reality they are complicated, and filled with holes society likes to call variables.

In some cases, like when you’re trying to weasel your way out of being charged for a crime, instead of being called variables they are duved loopholes. Loopholes are that magical thing that you would be graced with having in that kind of situation, but unfortunately -yet somehow fortunately- I wasn’t in that kind of situation. I'm waist deep in something much worse.

What I'm in is something like death for the immortal. I had to play my cards just right, or else; I could attract the wrong person, make too much of a fuss and get arrested for being a public nuisance, maybe everyone would be in a bad mood and ignore me, or the worst of all; be found out. Being an ex-Covert Operations spy made me extremely flighty, and I knew what could happen to me if I happen to cross the path of an old enemy, or should the director of Covert Operations, Shawna Peterson, find out about my means of make a living. Though it be my luck she already knew, but just pitied me.

I frantically began to search my jean pockets for the nonexistent car keys. When I came to the car I, dramatically, pulled my hands from my pockets, and sighed heavily.

“Damn it!” I screeched kicking the car's tire as hard as I could.

Pulling my hood down I ran my right hand shakily through my hair. Looking down at my feet I reached into my back pocket for my phone. Though just as planned when I retrieved my phone it was dead as a door nail.

“Come on!” I yelled at the, utterly helpless, small powerless device.

Sighing heavily once more I shook my head, and shoved the phone back into my pocket.

I was about to give up on plan a, and head straight for plan b; tackle him to the ground, and drag him into an alley way to finish him off, when I heard a shout from behind me.

“Hey Miss do you need any help?” Joshua had taken the bait, but for some reason his voice seemed eerily familiar; like I should remember it but don't.

"Yeah that would great. I've lost my car keys, and my phone's dead." I replied as I turned to face him.

When he laid eyes on me his jaw grew slack. The only thing I could think of was he knew my identity. I turned and ran for it as fast as I could.

"Wait hold up! I just want to talk!" I heard him yell from behind, and for some strange reason I stopped.

I stood there with a thousand different possibilities of what he could know about me, trust me there's lots of them, running through my head as I waited for him to catch up. It didn't take him long, maybe a few seconds to reach me.

"Your Godric's girl aren’t you?" He asked as he breathed heavily.

Godric. That name stung. That is the name of the man that I love, and the name of the man I will probably never see again. Godric Jeager.

"Yeah," I mumbled trying to fight the tears that welled up in my eyes.

"It's Momo right?" He asked trying to look me in the eye.

I simply nodded my head. The tears fell fast, and the fact that I was crying scared me. I hadn’t cried since, well, since Godric said that I had to be strong, and I couldn’t give up; for us, and for our unborn child. That was seven years ago.

 



© 2011 Max


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

153 Views
Added on November 13, 2011
Last Updated on November 13, 2011


Author

Max
Max

phoenix , AZ



About
I love writing as well as any form of art. I am more at home with some genre's more than others. Add me as a friend if you want. Believe it or not I am just a humble 13 year old girl. HEY, just to le.. more..

Writing
Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Max


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Max


Chapter 4 Chapter 4

A Chapter by Max