Cian: League of One   (Cian is pronounced Kee-an)

Cian: League of One (Cian is pronounced Kee-an)

A Chapter by Rhayne

Cian: League of One

Chapter One

 

            The air choked on smoldering wood and bodies. It seemed no life had been spared. He was too late. He could have saved them if only the messenger hadn’t stopped to be a good Samaritan. Didn’t he realize that every second counted? Hundreds of lives were depending on him to get that important message to the only man that could have saved them. Cian glared back at the messenger following him, with the intent of saying something harsh but when he saw the young man’s silent tears streaming down a pale face, he swallowed those words. At the man’s feet laid his only relative, his ten-year-old brother, his body riddled with arrows. With a heavy heart, Cian watched his young friend fall to his knees to hold his brother for the last time, whispering his apologies for a guilt he will now carry for the rest of his life.  Cian didn’t have to explain to him now that the good deed he did a stranger was all a ruse to slow him down. This was a hard lesson to learn but Cian knew it would also make the lad a better man. He would think clearer the next time.  Cian walked on, his steed freely trailing behind him. Burning gates hang loosely on their hinges at the entrance of the village as he passes through. He had experienced this before in another time and place when he had been the messenger. He hadn’t stopped for anything or anyone, ran his horse ragged until he reached his destination and delivered the message for help. He too had lost all his family during a raid just like this one. He remembers following behind the Warrior that could have saved them, the Warrior that he sought to deliver the message to. Stellar was his name. A magnificent man he was, tall, muscular, and had mastered the art of what it meant to be a Knight. But there was something a little different about him, something that set him apart from all other Knights. He was magical. He had powers that no one could explain a mortal man possessing and it only came to him when he fought or when he was angered. This wasn’t magic that he could call on just whenever. It was like it was bestowed upon him during his time of need by something or someone higher that maybe looked after him. Stellar was a very unusual man. No one challenged him, not even those who had no idea who he was or anything about him. He just had that ‘air’ about him that seemed to warn people. Yet he was friendly and all sought to know him and at some time or other, depend on him. Stellar practically adopted Cian the day his family perished. He taught him how to fight, how to use weapons until he became an expert. Stellar even thought that maybe Cian had become better than himself. It was the anger he harbored for those who had attacked his village and killed his family and friends. He swore vengeance. That’s when Stellar went to work on him about his feelings and how they could get in the way of carrying out that vengeance. He taught him how to be rational at all times, to never let his opponent know what he was thinking or see any weakness of any kind. He had no one left to lose and he had nothing that anyone could take from him, except his life should he fail in learning the important lessons that Stellar was teaching him. Cian learned and traveled with Stellar until the day he left. That was the strangest day Cian had ever lived through and even today he doesn’t quite understand what happened. Stellar had come to him during the night and told him that it was time for him to go and that he would be expected to continue to walk the path in his place. He took Cian’s hands and night was suddenly day as a light from Heaven came down and engulfed them. A surge of heat flowed from Stellar into Cian. It was like an overwhelming feeling of love and respect, strength and supernatural power. Shocked, he looked up into Stellar’s eyes and saw tears there yet he was smiling.

            “You’ll do quite well, my boy. You’ll be even stronger than I could’ve dreamed of being. The Master has chosen you. I’ve done all that has been asked of me and now I can go to my rest. Tomorrow when you awaken, all the answers you want right now will be there, trust me. You are a special man, Cian, far more special than any before you. Always stay true, my boy, and the power given you will grow with each year of your life. You’ll know what that means tomorrow. But there is one thing I want you to remember. Never blame yourself for what the Master deems necessary. Always remember that there is a reason for everything.  If you should start to feel guilty for something, take a moment to consult him. He’ll answer you. One day another will come along that you will take it upon yourself to train, just like I did you. Train him well, Cian, and remember, there’s a reason for everything.”

Stellar released Cian’s hands and cupped his jaw like a loving father as he began to ascend with the light toward a colorful Heaven.

            As Cian’s memory flooded him, he suddenly stopped and peered back at the young man grieving his brother.

            “So, you’re him” he says lowly and looks towards the Heavens to give a shake of his head as though he wasn’t sure about this one. He continued on, stepping over bodies and kicking debris out of his way. Anger began to boil inside him. ‘This beast has to be stopped’, were the words he heard inside his head, knowing the reference to ‘beast’ wasn’t meaning the magnificent dragon but was referencing the cruel magician that managed to capture and spell the dragon and now rides its back and forcing him to blaze the villages. The real beast’s name is Raxis, also the murderer of Cian’s family.

            “Then why do you keep him two steps ahead of me all the time. Just once, that is all it will take, just once for a messenger to reach me in time. Unless you want to give me the power to know where he’ll strike next and let me take it from there. Why do I need to wait for a messenger? It’s almost a certain fail, isn’t it?”

As soon as the words left his mouth, he remembered Stellar’s words, ‘never feel guilty for what the Master deems necessary----there’s a reason for everything. Take a moment to consult the Master. He will answer you.’  Then he looked back at Brix, his messenger, who was busy burying his brother and he realized the pattern. He was now Stellar and Brix was him and the task before him would be great and challenging. He wondered if either of them would be up for what was ahead.  Brix was kindhearted, naïve and younger than he was when he was a messenger about to become Warrior. Cian looked toward the Heavens, “okay, I get it but I hope you know how great the task is that you’re putting on me.  Brix is----”

            ‘Very much like you were at his age, Cian. Just be patient with the boy. Stellar had to be patient with you too, if you’ll take a moment to think back. Take a good look at the boy now, Cian, what do you see? If I’m right, you’ll see yourself, so imagine what he’s feeling right now. How his heart must be shattering, his mind filled with rage. It’s changing him, Cian, just like it changed you, just like it changed Stellar. The two emotions happening at the same time either makes or breaks a man. Brix is ready now. His future is up to you. Stellar made you better than himself and you must make Brix better than you. I will tell you now, I made a decision the night I brought Stellar home and that decision was to not do the same with you. I’m not going to retire you the moment Brix is ready to go off on his own. When that time comes, the two of you will indeed part but you will have a new path and Brix will carry on the same path the two of you travel now. The two paths will come together again in the distant future at a time that both of you will need it to. Raxis is growing stronger because he is getting help from another, a sorcerer named Ballorin, thus the two paths. Ballorin is close to finding the lair of the dragon horde. Time will be of the essence, Cian. If Ballorin finds the dragon Mother it will mean the end of their kind. They are precious to me, Cian, as I know they are to you too. Brix has never seen a dragon. His astonishment will distract him and that would be the end of him, so I have chosen you to take the alternate path. Now, do your best as you have always given me. Train Brix and you will know when it is time to leave. And remember, I’m always with you both.’

It was the longest conversation he had ever had with the faceless voice, ever. It choked him up to know that he had so much confidence in him and that he was taking him away from his main goal, to avenge his family. He couldn’t answer in words, so, he just looked toward the Heavens again and gave a solemn nod.

            Cian took one last look around the destroyed village. Every hut had been burned to the ground, every soul had been released from its embodiment.  All that was left of their protection was the still burning gates barely holding on to the post to which they were hinged. The walls were gone, blown to pieces by a great force of breath, a dragon’s fire.  Cian made his way to the well that was situated in the center of the commons area. With his armored boot, he kicked away debris and hot stones that were once the well’s housing. He peered down into the well, hoping the water had not been tainted but there would be no drinking today. Several bodies floated within. Cian silently cursed. The horses needed water. He clicked his tongue to signal his steed, who came trotting up to him immediately and snorted.

            “Sorry, old friend, no water here but I’ll find some, don’t you worry.”

The horse reared his head, snorted again and then pressed his head against Cian’s back as if to say he understood. A noise sounded behind them but Cian knew it was Brix. It was amazing how his senses never let him down.  Brix sniffed and wiped his face with his sleeve, cleared his throat and threw his chest out to hide his sorrow.

            “I’m sorry that I didn’t get to you in time. I know this is my fault. Tell me what I can do to fix this---I mean---I know I can’t bring any lives back but there must be something I can do to atone?”

Cian realized that the Master was right. Brix is a lot like he was at that age. He felt the same way when he lost his family and the whole village, yet he didn’t stop to help someone. His guilt was that he must not have ridden hard enough, fast enough. It had to be his fault. They depended on him and he failed them, or so he’d thought. Stellar made him see things differently as time went on. He would have to do the same for Brix because he now knows that even if Brix hadn’t have stopped on the way it made no difference. This was inevitable. This was the Master’s decision and for reasons only the Master will ever know. Cian placed his hand on Brix’s shoulder and lightly shook him.

            “First, you have to understand that this was not at all your fault. You’ll understand what I mean someday. It wasn’t because you stopped on the way. This was meant to be, Brix, trust me. I’ve been where you are now and I’ll tell you all about that someday. Second, you can atone to make yourself feel better. You can avenge your family and the whole village and mine too. You can agree to let me train you, teach you everything you need to know about being a Warrior. I’ve been informed that you are ready to become number two of the League of One.”

Brix tilted his head, “number two? Then it would be the League of Two, wouldn’t it?”

Cian chuckled, “yeah, it would indeed. So, I guess that means you’re willing to forfeit the life you know to learn a new one?”

            “To be like you? Are you seriously asking me that? Of course, I would!”

Cian chuckled again, “I wouldn’t be so eager, Brix, knowing what I know now. This life isn’t easy. The training is brutal and the battles are a hundred times worse. Always on the move. No time for making friends much less falling in love and having a family. All that is pushed right out of your mind. Your life becomes all business, all day, all night. Sleep is almost non-existent. Food comes from wherever you can find it. You have to be totally committed, Brix. Are you sure you want to do this?”

Brix looked past Cian at the burning village, “I think they would want me to” and then he looked back to his brother’s grave, “and I know my brother would want me to be like you. Yes, I’m sure this is the right thing for me to do. When do we get started?”

            “It started the moment you found your brother, Brix. I know it and you know it. So, it’ll be dark soon and we have a lot of bodies to pay our respects to. There’s no time to dig mass graves. We’ll have to collect all of them and burn them even more to send them off. It’s the least we can do for them and to preserve the land of their decay. You get started with building a makeshift cart out of whatever will work and I’ll get the bodies out of the well first. And by the way, don’t drink the water. I know of a stream nearby. We’ll go there when we’re finished here.”

Brix watched Cian walk away, his fully gold armored body glinting in the sun. He wondered if he would have a suit of armor like that. It was the strangest, most intriguing sculpted and engraved armor he had ever seen. It was like something forged by the gods. It fit him like a second skin, moving with the flexibility of his own muscles. Even if someone tried to hug him, it would mean certain death from any one of the many protrusions it has. Yet, to give it some semblance of softness, he wore a handcrafted animal skin draped from the waist and split seamed over the thighs to give one long, thin stretch of cover in the front. It was very stylish looking and gave even more charisma to an already charismatic personality. Cian is a very handsome man with shoulder-length blonde hair that he likes to wear down, very intense green eyes and chiseled features. He looms at six feet, eight inches tall. When he smiles, he seems like the most likeable guy that could melt any woman’s heart. His eyes are a mysterious pair, one minute they are soft and kind, the next, intense, warning, searing. He’s rugged in a powerful way. To know him and what he’s about makes him Angelic, to see him in battle, he’s demonic, insane. He’s what it takes to fight evil, like fire with fire and that’s exactly what Brix wants to become now. Someone strong and wise enough to avenge his brother and their village.

 

            The sound of the stream trickling down was lulling an exhausted Brix to sleep. Cian continued to brush down his horse as he did every night before bedding down. The moon shined brightly through the forest and night birds occasionally chirped back and forth. It was music to Cian’s ears. Soft sounds were a rarity to hear and he was enjoying it until both horses suddenly spooked, bringing Cian to full alert once more. He scanned the darkness of the trees until he found the source. A flickering light in the distance. The birds fell silent. Even the stream seemed to lose its whisper.

            “I call to you Cian, League of One” came the most beautiful feminine voice he had ever heard.

Cian began to walk slowly toward the light, his hand on the hilt of his deadliest weapon, an unusually large shaped sword that was also capable of sonic blasts. He jerked his shoulder forward, slinging his shield down his arm and catching the inside grips. This was no ordinary shield. Brix found out early on that he couldn’t even pick it up. The weight was more than his own body, yet Cian handled it like it was a featherweight.  If Cian got close enough to his foe, the shield alone could kill them. Circles of sharp claws adorned the front and if Cian so desired, those claws could become poisonous. It was a power he could call upon during battle.

            Cian stopped at the edge of the forest where the light continued to flicker. The green of his eyes brightened and his vision became magnified. His brow cinched when he saw the image and instantly, he felt danger.

            “Who are you?”

            “Who I am means nothing. Why I am here means everything. You are in danger, League of One. Ballorin knows you have been chosen to try and destroy him. He is preparing for you. You must not take time to train your squire. You must find Ballorin now. The Mother dragon has young coming soon. He must not find them.”

            “Who sent you? The Master?” Cian calls out.

            “No, but your Master is aware and I see he has not chosen to tell you. That is why I have come.”

            “Why has he not told me?”

            “That, you will have to ask him.”

            “What if I don’t believe you? How do I know this isn’t a trick?”

            “Why would I risk coming here if not for a true reason?” she replies.

            “Those words mean nothing to me. I don’t know you----not even your name.”

            “Halcyon is my name, Cian. It is a rare thing for one to know my name and live. But this is an important mission for me. The Mother dragon needs your help. She is the last one unless at least one of her young is female and survives. I know that you know how rare it is for female dragons to be among the horde.”

            “Yes, I do. But that piece of knowledge doesn’t mean I can trust you. I also know that the dragon Mother is very precious to the Master and if she and her young were in danger now, he would’ve told me.”

            “I have told you what I came to tell you. It is all that I can do. Their fate depends on your decision to believe or not to believe. Consult your Master, Cian. That is the least you can do. I must go now. My presence here is disrupting the peace. Goodbye, Cian.”

            “Wait!”

The forest went completely dark, taking with it the feeling of danger. The night birds commenced to chirping and the sound of the stream seemed louder than ever. Cian felt the presence of Brix behind him. He turned.

            “Everything okay?” Brix asks hesitantly.

            “Yeah, fine.” Cian’s tone hinted frustration as he tried to be nonchalant.  “I was just checking out a noise I thought I heard.”

            “That you thought you heard? You were talking to someone.”

            “And just how much did you hear?” he asked as they walked back to camp.

            “Not much. Just enough to know it was a woman’s voice and she called you by name.  Someone you know?”

            “No. Didn’t see her either, just a light in the forest is all I saw. You better get some rest, Brix. I need to take a walk for a moment. I won’t go far. I just need to clear my head.”

Brix snickered playfully, “uh huh. You’re meeting her somewhere---after all that talk about not having friends much less a lover?”

Cian stopped dead in his tracks. Brix stopped a few steps later and turned around. He saw the shine of Cian’s eyes and knew he had said a little too much.

            “Hey, Cian, I-I’m sorry. I didn’t mean---”

            “Let’s get something straight, kid, the one thing, one thing that you and I have to have an understanding about----trust and truth. And don’t say that’s two things or I’ll kick your a*s from here to the stream and then drown you in it because the two go together. One is nothing without the other. Whatever I say to you and whatever you say to me needs to be the truth at all times, at ALL times or there will never be enough trust to watch each other’s back. I said that I didn’t know her and I don’t. I said that I didn’t see her and I didn’t. I said I was checking out a noise I heard and I was. Nothing that happens in our lives is a joke, Brix, nothing. Being that way will get one or both of us killed. Do you understand? When I said I need to clear my head, that is exactly what I meant. I have a conversation running through my mind that concerns me. I need time to think about it and figure out what I should do about it and that’s all. Are we clear?”

            “Very---Sir. Sorry. Won’t happen again, solemn promise” he replied holding up his right-hand pledge.

Cian’s eyes went back to their normal green as he walked away. Brix followed ten paces behind. Cian’s voice resounded, “get some rest, Brix, we start training at sunrise.”

            Cian walked in silence along the bank of the stream. Not even the movement of his armor made any sound as he found a large rock to sit upon. A cloud rapidly crossed the moon, casting a moving shadow over him, prompting him to look up.

            “I need you to help me out here. Am I to believe her or not? Is the dragon Mother expecting young and are they in danger?”

Just then, another shadow rapidly moved over him and he thought it just another cloud since the Heavens were dotted with them. But then a loud screech sounded in the distance followed by the snap of large wings that only the largest of dragons make. Cian’s head jerked up and back, scouring the night sky as he popped to his feet.

            “Master? Is that----”

            ‘It is, Cian. She has been searching for you. I have led her to you. Go beyond the ridge before you and you will find her waiting. Don’t take too long, for she is being sought too. Ballorin’s minions are near. I will keep watch.’

            “Were you going to tell me any of this? Why did I have to hear it from a complete stranger that came to me as a wraith? What’s the deal here?” he asked as he quickened his steps over the rocky upward slope.

            ‘There was no immediate alarm, Cian, not until Halcyon came to you. She was followed by Ballorin’s minions. It was his plan all along.’

            “So, Halcyon was unaware she was leading them right to the dragon Mother?”

            ‘Not to the dragon Mother, Cian, to you. Ballorin knows who you are. You are his greatest threat now. Without you around, his desires will hardly be a chore to complete.’

            “And just what are his desires?”

            ‘To be king of all domain, of course. To rule all life and do as he pleases. His main goal at the moment is to destroy you and find the dragon Mother and her young. He arranged for Halcyon to lead him to you and you to lead him to the dragon Mother. So far, the plan has worked, the leading, I mean. What Ballorin has not factored is how powerful you are, but he is powerful too, mind you. Do not take long to instruct her. Do it and get out of there.’

            “I understand. I’m almost there” he says as he crests the ridge. There in the small valley between the hilltops was the dragon Mother taking a drink from the lake. As soon as she sensed Cian, she stepped back, craned her long neck and gave a low beckoning call that sounded like a muffled moan and then a long streak of blue fire shot from her mouth, barely skimming the surface of the lake water. It was a beautiful sight. He smiled and ran down the hill toward her. She crept low to the ground toward him. The weeping sounds she made tore at his heart. They were like long lost lovers finding each other again. As he neared her, she lifted her head just enough that when he was close enough, he could hug her just under her chin. And that was exactly what he did. He hugged her tightly, patting and caressing her scales with his palms.

            “Oh, how I’ve missed you. How are you? Are you well? I hear you have young, is it true?”

A large tear pummeled from her face and splattered the ground at his feet. He pushed away, holding out his hands, “hey, you’ll rust my armor” he laughed.

            “Cian, you know my situation, do you not?”

            “I do and I don’t want you to worry. Where are your young? Have they hatched?”

            “Not yet, but very soon. They are with their father at Capsha Mountain. I fear we are no longer safe there. Ballorin’s minions have trailed near but not to the peak. It is only a matter of time. You know the young will not be able to control their flame and its sure to be seen. I am afraid, Cian. Your Master sent me here.”

            “I know and here is not safe either. Do you know of Halcyon?”

            “The Princess Spirit of Peace, of course, she is a dear friend. Another whom I have not seen in eons. How do you know her? She never makes herself known----unless she fears for someone dear.”

            “She was here just a short while ago. Mother, I want you and your mate to move your young to Koni Lake. There’s an underwater cave there large enough for all of you to be comfortable. Ballorin doesn’t know of this place, no one does. I built it myself as a refuge. There’s even a stash of food there, help yourself. I’ll bring more as soon as I can. Do not surface again until you get word from me, understand? I’ll deal with Ballorin and his minions. How many young do you have, Mother?”

            “Eight, if they all survive.”

            “They will, Mother. You hurry and move them and I’ll see you soon.”

            “Cian?”

            “Yes?”

            “I love you.”

            “I love you too, always.”

Just as the heavy dragon lifted off the ground, a group of clouds covered the moon, giving her the darkness she needed to disappear into the night. Cian watched until she was out of sight. His heart aching again. When she was gone, he ran back toward camp as fast as his legs would take him and that was faster than what he had heard the machines that used to transport people from one continent to another could travel. Trains, planes, automobiles and space shuttles were ancient history, way before his time.  Cian lives in the new world that is already two hundred years old.  His ancestral grandparents were young when the world was destroyed by an unknown entity. They slept on a space ship traveling back from space exploration when they were awakened and told that the Earth was not Earth as they knew it anymore. It was desolate and void of life once again. They were back to having to develop from scratch. By the time Cian was born, there were cities again but not like before. Resources for the life the world knew before no longer existed. The world was nearly back to prehistoric times except, instead of dinosaurs, there were dragons, serpents, large exotic animals and birds. But they were dying out at an alarming rate. Most of the people on the space shuttle were specialist in several fields, even magic. Ballorin was one of the best and saw this empty world as an advantage to his skills. He wants to rule it and all life upon it. Until Cian met Stellar, he was not aware of his own heritage. He too, came from a line of powerful wizards and sorcerers. Some even call him a Warlock.

 

 

 

            Ballorin stood upon the rocky ridge that overlooked a large pristine lake. He breathed in deep and quickly released the air, making a disgruntled sound.

            “He’s been here! He stood on this very spot! I can taste the Mother dragon’s fire.”

He growled his words and balled his fists at his sides. Several minions silently stepped back, too used to being the subjects of his outbursts.  He spat on the ground and steam immediately rose from it.

            “TAK!” he shouted and a five-foot demon-looking creature emerged from the crowd of them, scurrying up to Ballorin. “You said we were hot on his trail. My senses tell me that he has a two-day head start AND he’s not alone!”

Tak spoke quickly to explain but Ballorin interrupted, “QUIET!  You’re too late, I already know what I need to know. He has a squire in training and not only that----HALCYON HAS BEEN HERE!”  His voice echoed for the longest time that Tak thought for sure Halcyon would hear him clear to her Realm.  Ballorin left crushed rock in his wake as he stomped back to his ride, a very large bull-looking creature with red eyes and tusks.  Ballorin swung himself aboard the comfort of his saddle and took a moment to calm his anger, as his skin was beginning to turn blue, the first sign of preparing for battle. As the skin faded back to dark brown, he breathed in a couple of breaths.

            “Tak, send a message ahead to Benj to gather all his soldiers and meet us in the field near Capsha Forest. Mother Dragon has been here and she won’t go far from her young. The only other hiding place for something as large as a dragon would be Capsha Mountain.”

            “But Sir, Lochland sent a message saying they had already searched there and found nothing, not even any evidence that they had ever been there” Tak quickly responded.

Ballorin gave him a stern look, “do what I tell you or I’ll eliminate you and find another who knows how to obey orders” he says through clenched teeth.

Tak bows and hurries away.  Ballorin spured his bull who made an ear-piercing sound. His heavy massive hooves drummed the hard earth as their journey toward Capsha Mountain began.



© 2020 Rhayne


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

19 Views
Added on September 6, 2020
Last Updated on September 6, 2020


Author

Rhayne
Rhayne

Nashville, NC



About
Recently retired from the workforce, I'm now enjoying doing what I really love, writing. I've raised my three children on my own and now they practically take care of me, showering me the gift of Gran.. more..

Writing
Dearest Ariel Dearest Ariel

A Story by Rhayne


Deception Deception

A Poem by Rhayne