Chapter 8

Chapter 8

A Chapter by Verona Nightshade
"

Taiki's all grown up...

"

Here’s the thing about Takuya Takeuchi.

Taiki had gone through many bouts of how the man fit into his mind and his life. Just a character in the very beginning, someone who’s name didn’t even matter because his role in the male lead’s life was more important than establishing him as an actual person. Most commonly Sensei, when he tutored Taiki during high school. Simply Makoto’s father in the years since, with them seeing less and less of each other, not even neighbors anymore. 

And most recently, he was just Takuya Takeuchi, just a man with a son. A divorced man with a son, who was still missing his ex-wife. A man who was also technically a teacher at the school Taiki attended, so despite not being in any of his classes, he was still one of Taiki’s teachers. 

A man who Taiki couldn’t imagine being straighter, on top of all the other obstacles. 

And that was really the biggest issue, because he wasn’t underage anymore, as Kaoru or Taiki. 

But the heart wants what the heart wants, and despite how much he wanted Mr. Takeuchi, Mr. Takeuchi wanted his ex-wife. 

It was… messy, and complicated, and Taiki thought of it as little as possible, instead focusing as much energy on Eri as possible and avoiding telling her and his parents about a beneficial offer he received just a couple months after Eri turned eight, all with the hope that his stupid crush would fade in time.

The offer Taiki had been contacted about had been from a prestigious hospital on the other side of the country. Eri’s personal doctor had told a friend about Taiki’s research into Eri’s condition, and through the grapevine someone at the hospital had found out, and then there he was, with an offer to finish out his clinical lessons at the hospital and hop right into a job there to continue his research. It was also close to Yuzuki, who already told him he should take the opportunity and she could even set him up with a place to stay.

It was an offer almost too good to resist. 

The problem being that it was on the other side of the country. And Eri had already turned eight, which meant there wasn’t much time to make sure she didn’t end up the way she did in the original. 

But… it would be worth it, if his research found something. 

Eri hadn’t been able to enroll in proper schooling, instead getting homeschooled due to how often she was sick. A personal tutor couldn’t even be hired, since outside germs could make her seriously ill. Often, she couldn’t even muster up the energy to get out of bed, let alone do her schoolwork. A stark contrast to when she’d been just a little younger. 

Even time spent with Makoto had been greatly decreased. Both due to Eri’s constant need for rest and their parents’ fear of her getting sick being in an outsider’s presence too long. 

It was no way to live. Eight and alone and so, so lonely. Taiki knew that both he and his parents loved Eri, but it had nothing on interaction with people your own age. 

The final nail in the coffin was an outing with Akimitsu and Megumi when Taiki got a message that Eri had once again been rushed to the hospital. Akimitsu and Megumi joined Taiki as he ran to her, finding her in her regular room (and how sad was it that she was there so often they had a special room reserved for her- it had the best view of the park, Eri said), hooked up to tubes and wires and a breathing machine. 

That was the moment Taiki decided. He needed to go, for Eri, so she could have more time. 

He found Mother and Father sitting by Eri’s bedside, with Father rubbing Mother’s back soothingly. Taiki stood in front of them, swallowing thickly. 

“I was given an opportunity for research,” he explained. “It should… It will help Eri. But it’s… far away.” He swallowed thickly. “I’m going to accept.”

“You’re going to leave?” Taiki turned towards the sound of Eri’s voice. He hadn’t realized she was awake… She sounded so weak beneath that mask, and the way her features scrunched up in pain… “No… No… You can’t leave!” Her heart monitor sped up. “You can’t leave! I don’t want you to go! You’ll never come back!”

Taiki’s breath caught in his throat and he sat by Eri’s side, taking her hand gently, careful of the wires connected to her. “I will,” he promised. “I’ll come back and spend so much time with you, you’ll get sick of me.” Eri’s tears didn’t stop, only coming out harder. 

“Why do you have to go?” she questioned, reaching out for him with her other hand. She couldn’t even lift it.

“You wanna grow up big and strong, right?” Taiki said, smiling at her through the tight grip on his heart. “Gonna race all those people and come out on top.” Eri sniffled and Taiki patted her head as she nodded. “You can’t do that right now, but big bro’s gonna go find a way so you can.”

Eri tried to tighten her hand, but it only ended up a slight squeeze around Taiki’s fingers. “You’ll come back?” she demanded.

Taiki nodded. “By the first snowfall after your tenth birthday,” he assured her. 

Eri sniffled again, but tried to smile for him. “You better keep your promise, stupid nii-san.”

Mother went to admonish her daughter for her language, but Taiki could only laugh. 

Eri was still in the hospital when it was time for Taiki to leave. 

Only Father accompanied him to the airport, Mother staying behind to look after Eri. 

He clapped Taiki on the shoulder. “Good luck, son,” he said. “Make us proud.”

Taiki nodded solemnly, boarding the plane that would take him farther from Eri than he’d ever been before.

It took only a few short hours, but then Taiki landed and was greeted by Yuzuki, looking as lovely as ever, ever more confident in herself in an outfit that would have impressed even Megumi.

“Taiki, it’s so good to see you!” she exclaimed. She ran to him, hugging him tightly. “Goodness, it’s been too long. We all need to meet in person more often.”

Taiki chuckled, hugging her back. “It’s good to see you,” he said. 

Yuzuki pulled away and took his arm, leading him out of the airport and to a waiting car. “You’re going to love your apartment,” she told him as they drove through the city. So similar and yet entirely different from his own. “It’s three floors above mine, so it has a great view. It’s such a find that they allow pets… Oh, which reminds me! You’ll have to come by and meet Mimi at some point! She’s a darling, but I think she’s lonely when I get busy. I think she’d get along well with Patch, too.”

Taiki hummed along to her, listening to her chat about how school had been going, her internship at a local company while she found her footing, how she’d been talking to one of her coworkers and they both seemed interested in each other. 

Once she went back home, she’d be going straight to helping her father, and her current job was to help her get confident in herself and have real experience in the field. Though she technically could have simply returned home right after graduation and skipped the real work part to join her father’s side, Megumi had persuaded her to try out being part of the workforce. 

It taught humility and life experience better than jumping right ahead into spoiledness, Megumi said. 

And it had turned out lucky for Taiki, because that meant that Yuzuki was still there when he arrived. 

It hadn’t been the life planned out for Yuzuki. She was simply a pretty, intelligent girl. She was just supposed to get married and continue the family line. Her father had been looking into his more promising employees to name his successor, right up until Yuzuki had declared she wouldn’t marry Taiki.

Her mother was still pressing for Yuzuki to leave the silly business world behind to the men and get married, but Yuzuki was adamant that she’d only do so on her own terms. She’d declared, in the same breath, that she would either become worthy of being her father’s successor, or overtake his company all on her own. 

Taiki was proud of her. She also seemed happier now, with wings spread out wide and flying free. 

The building the car stopped in front of was tall and sleek, shining almost blindingly under the bright sun. Taiki had to shield his eyes from it until they adjusted to it. 

Novel lifestyles… are so awesome…

“This has nothing to do with it being a novel and everything to do with the Tamura and Kuroda families being rich,” Patch deadpanned.

Taiki had to stop himself from snorting. He followed after Yuzuki into the building, Patch trailing behind him. 

It wasn’t all the way to the very top, but it was close. After Yuzuki opened the door to the fully furnished apartment and gestured Taiki in, he stood there stunned for several moments. 

The large, wall sized window- because it was literally just one single window, a wall entirely glass- that was across the room looked out to the city in a simply majestic view. Everything looked so small from up high. 

That was only the first thing he noticed. Quick to follow it up was just how large the space was for one person. Even one person and a dog, it was absurd. 

Taiki chuckled, trailing a hand over the pale-yellow couch in the living room setup to the left. “It’s a nice place, for somewhere that’ll probably be barely used,” he said, looking over his shoulder at Yuzuki with a playful grin. 

Yuzuki folded her arms, lightly shaking her head. “It’s only right you have somewhere that’s your own,” she said. “And I’m sure Patch will enjoy all the space since there’s no yard. There’s a pet park close by that I go to with Mimi sometimes, but she does get skittish around too many strangers, so…” Yuzuki trailed off, twirling a lock of her dark hair absently, cheeks pink. Taiki could only wonder if it was the cat or person who was more skittish…

“Thank you for getting this set up for me, anyways,” Taiki said, making Yuzuki look back at him with a bright smile.

“Of course!” she said. She clapped her hands together. “Um, I invited some people from work over tonight for dinner. I know you just arrived so you’re probably tired, but you should come by! Get acquainted with some others while you’re in the city.”

“I’ll be there,” Taiki assured her. 

Yuzuki gave a soft sigh of relief, shoulders slumping like a weight had been lifted from them. She assured Taiki that all he needed was to come at five o’clock, since it was just supposed to be a simple dinner between colleagues and friends.

Taiki showered and took a short nap on the large, plush bed until it was time to go to Yuzuki’s apartment. Patch stayed behind, though promised to stay alert to all of Taiki’s needs throughout the night. The perks of not needing normal living functions like food or sleep…

Yuzuki’s apartment was just as large but twice as colorful as Taiki’s, showing off her bright, girlish personality. Mimi took to Taiki like a duck to water, immediately walking up to him as soon as he’d entered the apartment. She was everything Yuzuki wasn’t. A pale tan sort of color, with wild, fluffy fur and an outgoing personality. In a way, Taiki was almost reminded of Megumi.

Introductions of the six other people had been so fast, Taiki didn’t even remember their names by the end of the night, only that it felt strange to see Yuzuki in such a large crowd but still be comfortable. And with the fact she was hosting them all, too…

It was impressive. 

There was some confusion amongst the group of their relationship, asking if they were together. Yuzuki had quickly assured them all that no, she’d simply been good friends with Taiki for a long time. 

One young man in particular seemed to breathe much easier after the revelation. 

But, true to Taiki’s words, his apartment became hardly used. The next day, he immediately thrust himself into his research under Dr. Shirozawa, his patron and mentor, and also the leading man in charge of special, rare diseases like Eri’s. 

Taiki was vaguely aware through his study at university and rare mentions of them in his original world, but none of them were Eri’s. None of them had quite the same symptoms, the same effects on her body, the same treatments. 

Eri’s disease had no name. The author had never named it. It had been left vague on purpose, likely due to the lack of the author’s own medical knowledge. Only that it was generally fatal, almost incurable. No one else had ever survived it, but Eri might have if she hadn’t died that night with Makoto.

Those were the important words. Because those meant that it wasn’t definite, that there was a way. Within the world of a novel, anything was possible. Taiki just needed to find it. 

Hours were long, and exhausting. His research was only allowed when he had a free moment, which he was painfully short of. He spent most of his days trailing after Dr. Shirozawa and other staff, learning all he could absorb and treating patients. They loved him in the children’s ward, though it broke his heart remembering how often Eri had been in their situation.

He completed his required schooling after a year in the city. He wasn’t top of the class, nor had he won any great achievements. No special skill points could match up against those who were naturals and had planned their entire lives for such a future, compared to Taiki who’d made the abrupt decision at 16. 

Graduating left him just a bit more free time, allowing him more access and time to focus on finding a cure for Eri. So, in the city he stayed. 

But Yuzuki would be returning home soon. So, they went out for a day together, unsure of when they’d be able to do it again. 

Yuzuki stretched her arms high above her head as they walked out of another department store. They hadn’t found anything to their liking, too used to much finer things, and even Megumi’s own personal recommendations. In the seven years since she’d started her internship at that fashion company, she’d risen high enough to be put in charge of a new boutique that featured her own personal designs. This had started a feud between the company she worked at and her family’s, which Megumi had simply replied to with a wink and grin on their last video call. Taiki got the feeling she was adding fuel to the fire, though couldn’t think of why.

He was hoping that with Yuzuki returning home, she’d be able to reign Megumi in, since Akimitsu certainly wasn’t.

Still, it had been fun to look around. Exhausting, too, as shopping always seemed to be.

“I remember you saying you didn’t want to date while you were still in school,” Yuzuki said, folding her arms behind her back. Dark hair fell over her shoulder as she turned to look at Taiki. “Are you going to look for a boyfriend now that you’ve graduated?”

The face of Mr. Takeuchi flashed through his mind, but he quickly shoved the image away. “I don’t have any plans to, no,” he said, quietly putting his hands in his pockets, not really knowing what else to do with himself.

Yuzuki shot him a wry, teasing grin. “Oh, I see. Are you going to claim you’re too busy taking care of Eri-chan to look out for yourself now?”

Taiki’s jaw dropped, just slightly. “That’s�"! I said I have no intention of looking. I am too busy for that. But if the opportunity falls into my lap, who am I to say no?”

Yuzuki scoffed playfully, lightly putting her arm through Taiki’s. “You have no sense at all, Taiki-kun. You should be more active in love! What if someone bad comes after you?”

Taiki snorted, pushing his glasses up. “Do you think I’m incapable of taking care of myself?”

Yuzuki pouted. “Not necessarily, but I don’t want you to get your heart broken either. You’re my best friend.”

“I’d say you were mine too, but I’m afraid that spot’s been taken up by Patch.”

Yuzuki swatted at Taiki and he laughed, red eyes closing as his smile went wide. 

“What’s got you so interested in my love life, anyway?” Taiki asked. “Don’t you have enough excitement in your own?”

Yuzuki’s bright expression immediately fell. She crossed her arms as well as she could with the bags in her hands, lips turning downwards in a frown. “My boyfriend broke up with me,” she said. It was sadness or heartbreak in her voice, not entirely. But rather, anger.

“Why?” Taiki questioned, suddenly defensive and ready to go confront the man.

Yuzuki closed her eyes, sighing heavily. “He wanted sex and I said I wasn’t ready.”

Taiki gritted his teeth. “Really? That’s it?”

“It was the sixth time we’d tried being intimate,” Yuzuki said, opening her eyes again. “We didn’t usually go beyond hand holding and cuddling and kissing. But every time we’d try go further than that, I couldn’t. I tried to, really, but it just… made me feel disgusted. Not with him or myself, but the act itself.” Her gaze sharpened, words coming out in a biting tone. “We got into a fight after I said I might never be ready. He said that if I didn’t want to be with him, I should have said so instead of leading him on.”

Taiki looked over at Yuzuki, her shoulders slowly drooping. Her expression started becoming solemn.

“Am I broken?” she said, voice tight and quiet. “Because I don’t want to have sex? Ever?”

“No, not at all,” Taiki immediately reassured her. “Relationships aren’t all about sex. Just because some people are more sexual than others doesn’t mean that you have to have sex. You just need to find someone who’s willing to wait for you to be ready.”

“And what if I’m never ready?” Yuzuki said, still looking at the ground.

Taiki shrugged. “Then find someone who’ll respect that. Anyone who’ll force or manipulate you into having sex isn’t worthy of your love.”

Yuzuki looked up finally, smiling at Taiki. “Thank you,” she said. “I don’t think anyone’s ever told me that before.” She brushed hair behind her ear. “I’ve always been expected to do it so I could give my husband children, but I’m not sure if I even want that.”

“Fair enough,” Taiki said. Yuzuki’s feelings towards relationships and love might have been considered even stranger than Taiki’s in Japan, where culture was focused on the many and family. Once she went back home to prepare for taking over for her father she’d probably receive a little slack, for a couple years. But then the pressure would be on her again, to have a child, her own heir.

But Yuzuki would make her own choice, and Taiki would stand by her whatever she chose. Who knew, maybe at that point he’d be able to help her get artificially inseminated if that was a route she wanted to go and she could just avoid the entire sex part.

“Well now, here’s a rare sight.” Yuzuki and Taiki stopped walking and stared at the unmistakable figure who appeared in front of them. Takuya Takeuchi smiled at them. 

“Ah, Takeuchi-san,” Taiki said in surprise. 

“A pleasure to see you,” Yuzuki greeted with a small bow. 

“What are you doing all the way out here?” Taiki asked as Yuzuki slipped her arm away from Taiki’s, almost indistinctly putting distance between them. 

Mr. Takeuchi pushed hair out of his face, revealing just how pale and tired he looked, like he hadn’t been sleeping well at all and instead working himself to exhaustion. Taiki was familiar with the look, having done so himself on multiple occasions. 

“A teaching conference,” he explained. “A few hundred of us have gathered, but I got the date wrong, so I’ve been waiting for the day of the meeting I’m supposed to attend.”

Taiki couldn’t help chuckling. “Even proper teachers get stuff wrong occasionally, huh?” he joked. 

Mr. Takeuchi lifted a brow, an amused smirk playing on his lips. “It’s true,” he said with a small shrug. “I heard congratulations are in order, Dr. Kuroda.”

Taiki laughed again, this time a little embarrassed. There was just something about the way he’d said it… 

Taiki swallowed and cleared his throat, forcing his head back on straight. It was a good thing Patch wasn’t currently with him, or he’d be given endless grief that he simply couldn’t deal with at the moment. “You said the conference isn’t for a while?” he said, and Mr. Takeuchi nodded. “How’d you like to go for dinner? If you’re not in the middle of things…”

Mr. Takeuchi looked between Yuzuki and Taiki. “I wouldn’t want to hold you up…” he said, but Yuzuki shook her head with a demure smile. 

“Not at all,” she said. “Well, on Taiki-kun’s part. I’m afraid I must go, however. I’ll be late for a date if I don’t hurry now.”

Taiki’s brows shot up in surprise. “A date�"? You were just telling me�""

Yuzuki smiled at Taiki. “Thank you for accompanying me, and please, have fun at dinner,” she said, bowing to Mr. Takeuchi before easily slipping away into the crowd. 

The woman knew Taiki entirely too well, and he was glad she hadn’t pressed it anymore. 

Mr. Takeuchi cleared his throat. “You, ah, mentioned dinner?” he said. Taiki jumped. 

“Right,” he said. “Have you been many places yet?”

“No, only those around my hotel. I took today to explore.”

“Right, then let me show you somewhere I think you’ll enjoy.”



© 2022 Verona Nightshade


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

28 Views
Added on June 24, 2022
Last Updated on June 24, 2022


Author

Verona Nightshade
Verona Nightshade

About
She/He/They/Ve I write a lot (prooooolly wouldn't be here if I didn't) though I find it hard to finish things, largely due to rising anxiety that what I write is never good enough and having no one t.. more..

Writing